Is our next captain a current Free Agent??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Surely given the profile of our list our next captain will have to come from another club

We will have the money in our salary cap to offer the next captain of St Kilda $1m+

So who should be our next captain?

Next year Patrick Dangerfield is a restricted free agent - I reckon we should give him an offer too good to refuse "Buddy style"....

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is our next captain a current Free Agent??

Would be a sad day for our club.

Club Player

Captain Danger. My son would like it. Jack Steven doesn't really jump out at me as captain material, the other guns might be too young. Gears?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Should have had him in the first place.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Armo ? he is in the right age group,and games played to come into consideration

Rosco
Club Player

Maybe armo, not sold tho.

noob
Club Player

Probably Dunstan if he continues to improve in the next 3 seasons. Was the U/18 SA Captain. I think St.Kilda want to groom Jack Steven as a leader but I don't see him being one.

Middo
Club Player

Rosco wrote:Captain Danger. My son would like it. Jack Steven doesn't really jump out at me as captain material, the other guns might be too young. Gears?
Reckon Gears is not assured of games let alone being Captain..Overrated by a few on here ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

J Newnes on current form but youd hope a Captain has played 100 games - so reality is Armo is the only genuine candidate. Pelchen has said we wont look at FAs until 2016 - so Captain in 2016 looks like Armo if you were asking me.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe we need to reintroduce GT's rotational captaincy idea. Not sure too many thought Lenny was captaincy material until it was given to him.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
FQF
SS Life Member

Have to be careful not to heap the burden of captaincy on a player that is just finding their feet. It can set them back significantly. Melbourne did it and it was disastrous.

That would rule out Dunstan and Newnes any time soon although both look like they could do it in the future.

Rosco
Club Player

FQF wrote:Have to be careful not to heap the burden of captaincy on a player that is just finding their feet. It can set them back significantly. Melbourne did it and it was disastrous.

That would rule out Dunstan and Newnes any time soon although both look like they could do it in the future.
I was ruling them out due to age. For mine then it's out of Steven, Armo and Gears. It's puzzling. Or Dempster (if he's a regular) for a bridging year ahead of Dunstan in 2017?

Rosco
Club Player

Double

FQF
SS Life Member

Rosco wrote:
FQF wrote:Have to be careful not to heap the burden of captaincy on a player that is just finding their feet. It can set them back significantly. Melbourne did it and it was disastrous.

I was ruling them out due to age. For mine then it's out of Steven, Armo and Gears. It's puzzling. Or Dempster (if he's a regular) for a bridging year ahead of Dunstan in 2017?
Dunstan would still be too young in my opinion.

noddy04
Club Player

Dangerfield wont be leaving crows.....especially to come to us.........he is in the paper everyday.....does radio at least 3 days a week plus some tv....hes a god(to himself) over here

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:

I cant see jack being Captain. He isnt that type unless he changes and does it quickly. Still couldnt make the leadership group when we are short of young leaders. It would be sad if geary was captain. He is a average footballer who probably needs to consentrate on just getting a game. Armo is the best chance of those 3 but it still isnt a great option. We probably have at least another year to find one as Rooy looks a certainty to do it again next year based on the lack of options.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We don't want a free agent till 2016 .
By that time a free agent will be able to complement our young list ready to take the next step .
Roo will probably be captain again next year and hopefully by the end of that year , it will be clear which young players are ready for the role .

In red white and black from 73
GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Don't worry guys, I reckon next year we'll have BJ back at the Club and he would be an ideal captain for 2016 onwards, replacing his good mate N.Riewoldt.
Why? Because Essendope will be struggling to survive by then with so many players, not sure how many, banned with the assistance of the Hird Supplements programme.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Has our next captain been born yet?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely Armo is the front runner

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Would love it if the club could acquire the services of Dangerfield. No doubt would be quite difficult to lure, although we did persuade both G-Train and Hamill to leave powerful clubs in order to play with us in 2001.

Can't see why we can't recruit a couple of "guns for fire" over the next year or two.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Both G and H wanted out...

Rosco
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Rosco wrote: I was ruling them out due to age. For mine then it's out of Steven, Armo and Gears. It's puzzling. Or Dempster (if he's a regular) for a bridging year ahead of Dunstan in 2017?

I cant see jack being Captain. He isnt that type unless he changes and does it quickly. Still couldnt make the leadership group when we are short of young leaders. It would be sad if geary was captain. He is a average footballer who probably needs to consentrate on just getting a game. Armo is the best chance of those 3 but it still isnt a great option. We probably have at least another year to find one as Rooy looks a certainty to do it again next year based on the lack of options.
Yeah, it's a sticky one. I only mention gears cos he's a tough back, he isn't good enough though really. Joey maybe a chance if he sticks around a year or two beyond roo, then a youngster. Not sold on that either.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

If and a big if our next captain is a free agent, the player is going to be a gun so this fits two of our issues. Young players and guns. Boom.

The Newnes/Dunstan combo in due course could happen.

That being stated, the last due to captain a club possessing less than 50 games was Grimes and Trengove...lolwut