Priority Pick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter#4
Club Player

Priority Pick

If the AFL care about having an even league and secure futures of all 18 teams - then i think its imperative that the likes of Brisbane and ourselves are awarded with a priority pick.

I understand that these days its the afl commissions decision but both clubs are at times very far from being competitive.

I just think a pick extra this year after our current picks which IMO would be 1,2,3,4 as i think both clubs would be bottom 2 - would go a long way to setting both clubs up again in the future.

Thoughts?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Priority Pick

We've got a bunch of developing kids and lots of injuries. Before the injuries and fatigue started to hit we were competitive. I think it's pretty hard to make the case that our list is fundamentally rooted - which is what it would take to get a priority pick.

sainter#4
Club Player

I think after our next 4 games - The media might pick up on this when our average losing margin balloons out.

We are competitive against clubs that are not anywhere near it - A half decent team blows us away.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think you have to be down for a few years for a priority pick to be considered.
Lions were 12th last year. Not too bad.

Everyone knows where our list stands:

30 odd blokes with under 50 games experience
5 core age players 50-200 games
5 Veterans 200 games+

Until we get another 10-15 younger blokes up into the 50-100 game core-age category we will be uncompetitive.
SImple as that.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 19 May 2014 2:22am, edited 3 times in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

If we get worse next year it's a possibility then. And I think we will be worse next year ( ageing roo, probably no Lenny, etc)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:If we get worse next year it's a possibility then. And I think we will be worse next year ( ageing roo, probably no Lenny, etc)
Exactly… plenty of time to warrant a priority in the next few years…

Reiwoldt, Hayes, Montagna, Dempster & even Gwilt have been our best few players this year.

Frightening to imagine us without them at the moment, we may need to bring in some free agents just to stem the tide a little, or maybe we just batten down and try to weather a couple of years of absolute beltings… hopefully end up with a list of 10 or so stars as a result.

Scary.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think that is going to be an issue with free agency in the future. Clubs like the Saints who have been successful to a degree for a long period get stars raided but then have very little way of competing at a level worthy of people watching the game. It could be a compounding thing if we don't address it. We have lost Milne, Kosi, Goddard and Dal in 2 years and they are just the top end guys. Gram, Big Mac, Clarke, Blake even Peake helped us remain competitive but now we are miles off getting back up the ladder.

We are having bad luck with injuries but gee we look like there is a lot of pain coming once the old guys go.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: Everyone knows where our list stands:

30 odd blokes with under 50 games experience
5 core age players 50-200 games
5 Veterans 200 games+

Until we get another 10-15 younger blokes up into the 50-100 game core-age category we will be uncompetitive.
SImple as that.
Unfortunately you've summed it up in a nutshell. There's no point whinging about us being no good, it's just the reality of where we are at. In a couple of years we'll lose two of our best players in Hayes and Riewoldt, which will only make things worse regardless of who we draft.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

WE haven't got a prayer of getting a priority pick - hell, we're above Richmond on the ladder !!.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!