Hoprefully this weekend...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint wagga
Club Player

Hoprefully this weekend...

1. Our midfield pressure is right back to it's early season best and team defence is the order of the day.
2. We convert better than last week ( we had enough shots on goal to put serious scoreboard pressure on Carlton, just some bad luck, so lets hope it turns our way)
3. Return to form for J Webster, J Newnes and R Stanley
4. A good well rounded game from A Siposs
5. Another solid game from B Longer
6. (Don't hook into to me for this, i just really wish it happens)...Curren and Weller both play full game and either Force C Jones out of the team or he's left out and can't force his way in due to form from the youngsters...(it's not personal, i just don't think we can have a player of such poor disposal by foot in the team...)
Go Saints.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Hoprefully this weekend...

Good Post , think we lose nothing playing both Weller & Curren in front of Jones ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

1. Sippos improves his attack on the ball and contested stuff and shows us something that moistens our appetite;

2. Acres improves his disposal efficiency or shows us he's capable of accurate kicks;

3. Bruce & Delaney keep improving and looking like the key backs we so desperately need them to be;

4. Gavin Wanganeen transcends his former brilliance and courage into his cousin...if he plays;

5. Simpkin plays in the forward line.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Saint wagga wrote: 2. We convert better than last week ( we had enough shots on goal to put serious scoreboard pressure on Carlton, just some bad luck, so lets hope it turns our way)
Good point.

We've kicked 50 goals from 117 shots in our last six games.

42.8% accuracy.

I think it's critical that this improves given our forward 50 entry numbers are quite low also.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Two things:
1. The midfield get first hands on the ball from the first bounce, instead of watching the opposition mids fight for the ball
2. Roo plays at FF and Siposs and Stanley play on the HF line get a kick up the bum from Richo to present and play with some grunt.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id also like to see Roo closer to goal. Yes I know his strength is his running but Carlton countered that anyway by switching his opponent.
The reality is Roo might take 50 marks up the field and we might not score.
We need to work out our best chances of scoring as a team. It cant be the Nick Riewoldt show. Id rather he took 5 marks within 40 of goal than 15 on the wing.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Good Post , think we lose nothing playing both Weller & Curren in front of Jones ...
just going off last weeks stats we lose :

10 contested posessions going with Weller over Jones
5 contested posessions going with Curren over Jones

4 tackles going with Weller over Jones
5 tackles going with Curren over Jones

one less clanger going with Weller over Jones
same clangers going with Curren over Jones

i still reckon there is a need for jones in the team at the moment ... sure i would be very glad to see Mav or Tommy push CJ out but for the moment i thing these two learn more working in the same team as CJ then they would replacing him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

If we assume effort is a given, for me this week's Word of the Week is Delivery.

Sharp delivery of handballs to our own players out of the middle, chest high delivery of kicks into fifty and, most of all, delivery of the ball through the two big sticks.

Always loyal
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:1. Sippos improves his attack on the ball and contested stuff and shows us something that moistens our appetite;

2. Acres improves his disposal efficiency or shows us he's capable of accurate kicks;

3. Bruce & Delaney keep improving and looking like the key backs we so desperately need them to be;

4. Gavin Wanganeen transcends his former brilliance and courage into his cousin...if he plays;

who is Wanganeens cousin ??

Milera is his brother-in-law

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:1. Sippos improves his attack on the ball and contested stuff and shows us something that moistens our appetite;

who is Wanganeens cousin ??

Milera is his brother-in-law
Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

Middo
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Middo wrote:Good Post , think we lose nothing playing both Weller & Curren in front of Jones ...
just going off last weeks stats we lose :

10 contested posessions going with Weller over Jones
5 contested posessions going with Curren over Jones

4 tackles going with Weller over Jones
5 tackles going with Curren over Jones

one less clanger going with Weller over Jones
same clangers going with Curren over Jones

i still reckon there is a need for jones in the team at the moment ... sure i would be very glad to see Mav or Tommy push CJ out but for the moment i thing these two learn more working in the same team as CJ then they would replacing him

I would say Curren has already overtaken Jones in the tagging stakes...Weller needs time to prove himself as we all know what we get with Jones , he was great when we were up and about but he's cooked now as we look to move forward ..
Think we can look at stats in regards to Jones but they dont tell us how he sells guys into trouble with his possesions and his reluctance to move the ball forward at the first option.
Liked what he added to the team a few years back but now he's just holding a guy back.

We lose in development ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:6. (Don't hook into to me for this, i just really wish it happens)...Curren and Weller both play full game and either Force C Jones out of the team or he's left out and can't force his way in due to form from the youngsters...(it's not personal, i just don't think we can have a player of such poor disposal by foot in the team...).
Is Curren's disposal any better than CJ's? Everything I've seen suggests he's pretty poor by foot.

Saint wagga
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:6. (Don't hook into to me for this, i just really wish it happens)...Curren and Weller both play full game and either Force C Jones out of the team or he's left out and can't force his way in due to form from the youngsters...(it's not personal, i just don't think we can have a player of such poor disposal by foot in the team...).
Is Curren's disposal any better than CJ's? Everything I've seen suggests he's pretty poor by foot.
I'm not sure of the exact stats - but my gut feel is it's better, and just watching games, Curren either gets it from a staoppage and bangs it on the boot, a bit like Lenny, he looks to have pretty quick reflexes and gets it going forward...when in a bit of space, he occassionally gets under them a bit up and under, but also would hit a solid drop punt 3/4 of the time...either way, he's more aggressive by foot and looks to want to take the game on by foot...Jones basically doesn't kick it unless he has no choice and it more often than not is an up and under, or a dinky 15m pass...I don't think stats tell the whole story with CJ, but hey if his teamates and coaches love him and want to play alongside him, then he's better off in the team!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Weller a sub?!

If so, his stats for comparison are moot.... Hard to win the footy on the pine

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see a seagull soil baldilocks ablett's nude nut !

In red white and black from 73
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Wasn't Weller a sub?!

If so, his stats for comparison are moot.... Hard to win the footy on the pine
Was thinking the exact same thing Marto... Can't compare Wellers quarter to Jones's 4 unless you are going to use multiplication.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

My wish list

... Siposs plays deeper, kicks a few goals, and Stanley has a useful game as second ruck and lead-up forward

... CJ shows why he is still a first 22 player by completely eclipsing Ablett AGAIN - like Rd 22 last year

... Jimmy Webster is brilliant and impassable at half back

... Billings shows us some more magic

... Riewoldt isn't force-fed leather when he cannot possibly get it or is in a position from where it is impossible to convert

... we record a narrow win

That's not a lot to ask is it?