Shane Savage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Shane Savage

I think we have been sold a pup. We over-rated him because he had one very good game against us.....
Did we conduct full due diligence or just go on the one good game he played against us (when he was front-running) ?

Career highlights

Shane Savage

30 disps (22 kicks 8 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 20, 46-pt win over St Kilda at Etihad Stadium (9 Aug 2013)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Did he play today?

I can't recall seeing him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Middo
Club Player

Gone ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Gone ...
Didnt we sign him up for three years on big money?

Pretty sure we did. Unfortunate...
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 03 May 2014 7:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

He's been truly truly horrible.

Bring back the Lockett era
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Pelchen's seen enough of Savage to know what we were getting. I don't think anyone was fooled. He's an outside runner whose raw numbers are down because he's playing a mostly forward of centre role on a team that doesn't dominate the ball. Really difficult spot to put up big numbers. If you're looking for soft targets to blame for today, he'll do. If you actually want to source the problem, keep looking.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Pelchen's seen enough of Savage to know what we were getting. I don't think anyone was fooled. He's an outside runner whose raw numbers are down because he's playing a mostly forward of centre role on a team that doesn't dominate the ball. Really difficult spot to put up big numbers. If you're looking for soft targets to blame for today, he'll do. If you actually want to source the problem, keep looking.
Well agree with some of that. But Im pretty we are talking about the whole season - including games that we won .
And I dont care about 'big numbers' either. But he panics when he gets the ball. Thats my main concern. He is trying.

You have to admit it is a funny coincidence his best game ever was against us in August 2013 .

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

don’t know VS was fringe player at the dawks... now with us has played a-fair bit and has shown very little... I’m not into rubbishing players but I am starting to think he was a mistake... prefer now to sort out the ither two on the list. Terry and TDL play them both and work out quickly out of the three who is going to stay.
also VS in a good side you can be made to look a lot better then you are. Hope he works out but i am yet to see any of his benefits yet.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:You have to admit it is a funny coincidence his best game ever was against us in August 2013 .
R8 2011 may have been better. Either way, coincidence. Pelchen knows him.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn were only worried about giving up a top draft pick when parting ways with him. Can't see him still being in the squad in 2015.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:You have to admit it is a funny coincidence his best game ever was against us in August 2013 .
R8 2011 may have been better. Either way, coincidence. Pelchen knows him.
Just repeating 'Pelchen knows him' doesn't cut the mustard. Im pretty sure the Hawks themselves also 'know him'.
If they rated him above say Smith Suckling and Hill - hed still be there.

Hilarious that from Round 20 2013 - you then have to go back to Rd 8 2011 to find a good game. Doesn't really strengthen your argument there does it.

Based on what we have seen at our club thus far he has been average. We are entitled to make that observation based on what we have actually seen. Just saying 'Pelchen knows him' doesn't alter it.

Maybe hell improve - but we are entitled to be disappointed with the output thus far - I'm almost certain hes on decent coin.

No point sugar coating it or just telling us fans we are all dullards .

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Forgetting his relationship with Pelchen and what money he is on and disregarding today entirely (dog of a day for everyone) and just look at on-field output for us this year- and it is impossible not to conclude he is being gifted games.

Now im not writing him off - but right here right now - the 3 year big money contract isnt worth it for us.

Id rather give Tezza another chance at his position or get some games into Markworth.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 03 May 2014 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintkid
Club Player

Shane Savage should have shown some glimpses of class by now, has had plenty of game time to prove his worth. Appears to be a very average player at best.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He can't pick the ball up off the ground let alone win a contest. It's not as if he's a newbie. Definitely in the dud column. But, if as has been said, we have him for three years on big money, that does not augur well.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Hawthorn were only worried about giving up a top draft pick when parting ways with him. Can't see him still being in the squad in 2015.
Its is obvious from fact that the Hawks didnt rate him.
This is evident by the 2013 GF squad where Whitecross was injured and SImpkin came into replace him.
This means they rated Simpkin (and Whitecross) ahead of Savage. This is indisputable.

Just saying 'Pelchen knows him' as if that is enough to shut off all debate is not a fair or logical argument and treats the fans like mugs. We all have eyes.

Pelchen is not a perfect oracle.

At this stage I'm backing him and I believe him - but that doesn't mean I think he is beyond question on every single decision.

Hes human and he makes mistake - many of which have been documented and many of which any Hawks fan will gladly tell you about (Beau Dowler and numerous others).

So yes I believe in Pelchen - but just saying 'Pelchen knows him' and thinking that is the end of all conversation on the matter is not sufficient for mine.

Its also pretty fair to argue the Hawks are good judges of players. So the the 'Pelchen knows him' argument can easily be flipped on its head with 'Do the Hawks know him' ?

So on actual real life evidence thus far - hes not a good or vaulable player.

This can change - but lets stick to actual facts if we can.

He is 23 years of age - so no longer a kid - and Good teams do not let good 23yos go.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:...Pelchen is not a perfect oracle...
More an overpaid orifice in my opinion, but I guess you already knew that.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Has shown less than nothing. His inclusion last week because of his NZ heritage was a joke. Continues to amuse. A bonafide dud.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Really unimpressed with Savage....

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hilarious that from Round 20 2013 - you then have to go back to Rd 8 2011 to find a good game.
I brought up that game because it was against us so, coincidentally, he had multiple random BOG performances against us. I thought it was funny.

And 'Pelchen knows him' wasn't supposed to stifle debate. It was a counterpoint to the idea that we recruited him on the back of one (or even two) good games. Pelchen, being a somewhat significant person within our recruiting department, drafted Savage to Hawthorn and watched him there for years. The implication is familiarity rather than any level of competence on Pelchen's part. I'm not implying incompetence either. I'm just saying, quite literally, Pelchen knows Savage.

saint-stu
Club Player

Milera was quite handy; fast, has some silky skills and can kick goals, I would much prefer to see him back in. Shane's had a good run, he needs to go back to VFL and find some really good form before coming back.

1ac46a38
saintkid
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Really unimpressed with Savage....
I agree. Reckon Tom Ledger showed more and we know how he ended up.
Last edited by saintkid on Sat 03 May 2014 8:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Seems a front runner not prepared to work hard enough at this stage. He will learn and come good, many wrote Joey off early on too.

Melbourne were going to give up the pick they gave for Vince for him so we arent the only ones who rate him.

Time will tell but its early days, just hope the penny drops with him sooner rather than later.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Seems a front runner not prepared to work hard enough at this stage. He will learn and come good, many wrote Joey off early on too.

Melbourne were going to give up the pick they gave for Vince for him so we arent the only ones who rate him.

Time will tell but its early days, just hope the penny drops with him sooner rather than later.
I occasionally hear about all these people who wrote off Joey and Lenny when they were young but I don't actually remember this happening. When Joey was 23 he played a full season in a prelim side averaging 19 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles per game. Savage can't hold his spot in a bottom three side and is averaging 11 rushed, ineffective disposals, 2 marks and 3 tackles at the same age.

I was very happy when we recruited Savage, but I have never witnessed a player who so aptly fits the title of 'spud'. He isn't providing outside run, doesn't kick goals, he doesn't win contested footy and his disposals are useless.

I would abasolutely love it if he found form and became the dangerous wingman/half forward we were all hoping for, but he has shown absolutely nothing and needs to put together a month of excellent form at Sandy before he gets another chance in the seniors.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
St Ick wrote:Seems a front runner not prepared to work hard enough at this stage. He will learn and come good, many wrote Joey off early on too.

I occasionally hear about all these people who wrote off Joey and Lenny when they were young but I don't actually remember this happening. When Joey was 23 he played a full season in a prelim side averaging 19 disposals, 5 marks and 4 tackles per game. Savage can't hold his spot in a bottom three side and is averaging 11 rushed, ineffective disposals, 2 marks and 3 tackles at the same age.
Agree with you MSD but you are actually underselling Joey a touch.
Joey was 23yo in the 2007 season - he averaged 24 disposals per game and kicked 10 goals for the season in a fairly ordinary side (we finished 9th).

So he was miles in front of Savage at the same age.

Lenny was 23 in 2003 - when he averaged 26 disposals per game and kicked 13 goals.

So its laughable to compare Savage to these guys.

I think you don't write anyone off before 21 or so - But the Hawks have written Savage off at 22 and I think we now know why.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Front runner!

Send him back to sandringham and do not gift him another game until he bangs the door down..