Cyrstal Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Cyrstal Ball

The 2014 season is over and we haven't won many games, so what happens next:

Well first of all retirements, Lenny I say is a sure thing, Fisher, high probability, especially if dodged by injury, in fact both may hang up boots before seasons end if injury severely restricts their ability to play.
Other possibility, again depending on fitness, Schneider, though if he has an relatively injury free season and contributes well, will run around again in 2015.
Players who have run their course; Gwilt, game has passed him by and wont be able to gind a place if Bruce, Delaney, Roberton and Simpkin perform; Jones, just can't afford mediocre disposal, Farren Ray: been a great servant and may even get us a draft pick as a trade; Maister, unless he can bag 30+ goals, but gone if Lee can get the ball within 50 metres at least 8 times a game.
Need to have a good season or trade de listing; Stanley, Sipposs and Ross.

Another shock retirement possibility is Roo, depends on his knees. As bad as this may sound, but it may actually help speed our rebound because we will then be forced to find some other avenue to goal and I do think that is so important this year, we must find other players who can kick goals.

This year and next will be us bottoming out, 2016 hopefully will be our next 2003.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cyrstal Ball

Losing Roo has no benefits. I dont buy this other avenue to goal stuff. From what Ive seen we havent got anyone close to even an ordinary Roo. Lee seems to lack fitness and pace. Stanley doesnt seem to have the brains for game. maister is a very honest trier. Not sure either Longer or Hickey will be forward marking options for a while if it ever occurs.That leaves the untried White. A bit early to tell on him. We will need a couple of big forwards in the next season or two. Rather Roo be there teaching them than not be there and the players get smashed every week. Unless im wrong about one or two ive commented on our forward line is years away from being productive. The hope is I have been wrong many times before.

As for everything else you have mentioned I think you have it pretty much spot on except at the moment Stanley, Siposs and Ross have no trade value. I still havent give up on any of them but its getting very close.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Neither have I Plugger, but it is this year or bust for them, maybe Ross might get an extra year as we may need midfield depth, poor as it may seem right now.
All these guys need to do is be consistent, get 10-20 touches each week and they are on their way to be being good players.
I mentioned Lee and said 8 touches inside 50, because with his ability to kick goals, that would easily translate to 4 goals a week for him, 88 goals for the season and I think we will all be ecstatic with that.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Lenny, jones, ray and maister all "retire", all but lenny go on to play at local level
Gwilt hangs on but then delisted after we swoop on a out of contract free agent.
Roo announces next year will be is swansong, staying on to be a player/coach. Highlight of the year is the news that they riewoldts are expecting a boy. Bring on 2032.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
luc1966
Club Player

Y dosnt jones ever get ( was a great servant next to him)

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Disagree with Ross. I reckon he'll have a standout season this year.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:Disagree with Ross. I reckon he'll have a standout season this year.
not from I've seen of him so far. Just does not get to enough contests and I can't see how we can have him, Dunstan, Curran, Armitage and Lenny in the same side. They are all the same type of player, we need more outside run to compliment the grunts.
So far you would have to select Dunstan over Ross and even Curran

Sobraz
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote: I mentioned Lee and said 8 touches inside 50, because with his ability to kick goals, that would easily translate to 4 goals a week for him, 88 goals for the season and I think we will all be ecstatic with that.
I like Lee, but he struggles to get the ball 8 times a match let alone in goal scoring range... If he kicks 88 he'd be the Coleman medalist and AA FF... 1000-1 chance of that happening..

His fitness and strength are deplorable.. Perhaps him being out of the system for a few years has set him back, but he doesn't seem the really committed type to me... In saying that he is a very good natural footballer... smarts and skills are great... I hope his work rate steps up to the required level, otherwise he'll watch his career slip by...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Disagree with Ross. I reckon he'll have a standout season this year.
not from I've seen of him so far. Just does not get to enough contests and I can't see how we can have him, Dunstan, Curran, Armitage and Lenny in the same side. They are all the same type of player, we need more outside run to compliment the grunts.
So far you would have to select Dunstan over Ross and even Curran
I bloody hope Ross improves but right here right now I also dont see how we can play ross, hayes curren armo and dunstan in the same side. 3 or 4 yes but not 5.
armo is one of the first picked, hayes probably wont play many this year so it means 2 of curren dunstan and ross will play most games.
At this stage dunstan is probably first picked out of those 3. leaving it between curren and ross. Id say curren has a better all round game than ross at this stage.
and we need the run of wright saunders savage and webster before we slot our 4th or 5th best plodder in there.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Also have big concerns re. Gwilt.. Been a big fan of his over the years, but he looked well off the pace in the practice match last week and it has been a long time since he really delivered consistent good footy.. Looks slow and easily played off the ball... Being match against much bigger opponents doesnt help, but his all round game looks shot..

It's a long year ahead, so I'm not prepared to write him off by any means, but he has lots of work to do..

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: At this stage dunstan is probably first picked out of those 3. leaving it between curren and ross. Id say curren has a better all round game than ross at this stage.
and we need the run of wright saunders savage and webster before we slot our 4th or 5th best plodder in there.
I agree with Dunstan first cab off the rank in the group you mentioned, but I'd go Ross ahead of Curren... More upside IMO with a better skill set... Needs time but will be a player....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: I agree with Dunstan first cab off the rank in the group you mentioned, but I'd go Ross ahead of Curren... More upside IMO with a better skill set... Needs time but will be a player....
Maybe cousin Jobe will have a bit of spare time over the next couple of years in which to mentor young Seb - in on-field matters of course :wink:

FQF
SS Life Member

Big difference between Lee getting the ball 8 times and marking the ball 8 times.

Didn't Curren play on Hannebury at the end of last year? Yes, new coach now, but perhaps he is going to take over Jones' role in the side.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Crystal ball:

1. we come last, get 1st DP
2. Lenny , Ray, Gwilt and Jones retire and either Dempster or Fisher (can't lose both together)
3. Monty and Roo stay on
4. We throw crazy money and snag Fyfe, Shuey, Gibbs or some other mid-20's gun and offer captaincy for 2016
5. Lee either has had a break-out year or is delisted...same for Maister.

We are pretty much stuffed for next 2-3 years.

Nee!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Crystal ball:

2. Lenny , Ray, Gwilt and Jones retire and either Dempster or Fisher (can't lose both together)
3. Monty and Roo stay on
4. We throw crazy money and snag Fyfe, Shuey, Gibbs or some other mid-20's gun and offer captaincy for 2016

Makes no sense to get a FA until the end of next season. We need to bottom or completely and then get a FA on the upswing

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
fugazi wrote:Crystal ball:

3. Monty and Roo stay on

Makes no sense to get a FA until the end of next season. We need to bottom or completely and then get a FA on the upswing

Correct. we maybe even 2 years away from FA.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:The 2014 season is over and we haven't won many games, so what happens next:
So you're getting rid of eight of our ten oldest players? You could add Milera, Dennis-Lane and Dunell to that. Then we'd have just 7 senior listed players over 25!

Montagna: 31
Dempster: 31
Gilbert: 28
Armitage: 26
Geary: 26
Delaney: 25
Steven: 25

Obviously it won't happen though, because it would require us to turn over 10 or 11 players. There's just no way to replace that many guys in one year. And anyway, a list as bereft of experience as that one would barely win a game in the next 5 years.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:The 2014 season is over and we haven't won many games, so what happens next:
So you're getting rid of eight of our ten oldest players? You could add Milera, Dennis-Lane and Dunell to that. Then we'd have just 7 senior listed players over 25!

Obviously it won't happen though, because it would require us to turn over 10 or 11 players. There's just no way to replace that many guys in one year. And anyway, a list as bereft of experience as that one would barely win a game in the next 5 years.
Where did I say I was getting rid of 8 of our ten oldest players? I said Lenny will retire, Fisher a high probability and Schneider a possibility based on how he goes this year fitness wise. I said Roo may if his knees give out. Gwilt, Jones Ray and Maister in danger of being de listed, (Maister not full of experience) plus Stanley and Sipposs if they don't produce reason to keep them.

In reality it is a natural turnover of talent, or some may say lack of it in some cases, but that is the hard truth, no sense in keeping experience if they don't produce for the club.
Yes we can only get rid of so many, but those are the ones I see as the most obvious retirements and de listings.

falka
Club Player

We are in a lot of strife moving forward.

I just can't see even with bottoming out for next 2-3 years will help us. So we get 3 pick 1's and pick 19's. Still about 20 players off the expansion teams.

History is littered with failed 5 year re builds and the odd success.

If everything goes well, then we can climb back up, if not, we are in the sh*t house

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:

Its called the List Valley of death! Our oldies are past it and our youngies are underdone. Nothing in the core to hold us up.
Savage and Roberton will be 'senior' players in 2015. I'm pretty sure Roo will be keen to go around again in 2015. Schneids as well but for him it is all based on whether his body holds up.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Where did I say I was getting rid of 8 of our ten oldest players? I said Lenny will retire, Fisher a high probability and Schneider a possibility based on how he goes this year fitness wise. I said Roo may if his knees give out. Gwilt, Jones Ray and Maister in danger of being de listed...
...and those eight guys you've named are all in our ten oldest players, along with Joey and Dempster. That's where you said you were getting rid of 8 of our 10 oldest, right?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:We are in a lot of strife moving forward.

I just can't see even with bottoming out for next 2-3 years will help us. So we get 3 pick 1's and pick 19's. Still about 20 players off the expansion teams.

If everything goes well, then we can climb back up, if not, we are in the sh*t house
Yep. Look at Carlscum. They thought bribing Juddy to join them just as they were peaking would land them a flag. And now they appear to be sliding and won't in all likelihood even make a prelim during their "better" years. So sad.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
falka wrote:We are in a lot of strife moving forward.

Yep. Look at Carlscum. They thought bribing Juddy to join them just as they were peaking would land them a flag. And now they appear to be sliding and won't in all likelihood even make a prelim during their "better" years. So sad.

All clubs over rate their own (including ours) but it seems Carlton and maybe to some extent Norf and the Tiges have been the champions in this area in the last decade. The Blues still seem to think Jarred Waite is the greatest player since Coleman.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Siposs better than Goddard!!!!!!

lefty
Club Player

I wouldn't get rid of Siposs, Stanley or Ross. They are a young bunch, they should be given opportunity. Its the older guys that will have to move on. I do not see any point in getting rid of 22 year olds for the sake on a pick #40 18 year old and expect everything will be fine by 2016, just doesn't happen. I think people forget Siposs was moved last year to a position he wasn't suited for, along with Stanley, yet some on here continually expect miracles to happen. Ross has shown glimpses, I don't know how many games he's actually played, I'll assume less than 20, and thats far too early to write him off.

Also, I don't believe luring Fyfe or Gibbs etc is worth doing atm, as we do not need a big name player as we are not near challenging and getting these players means by the time we are, they will be closer to 30.

Sometimes I just wish we could re-draft another G-Train, miss that guy, good days they were.