crazy trading

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

Re: crazy trading

[quote="defacto"]i actually think the mcevoy trade will go down as one of the best things we have done. without the mcevoy trade we would not have got the longer deal done and probably would have had to pay a bit more for one of bruce, delaney. heres how the two trades worked:
Trade 1
Ben McEvoy, Pick 24, Pick 59 for Shane Savage, Pick 18, Pick 19

Pick 24 was Bill Hartung with potentials:
25 : Daniel McStay
26 : Zach Merrett
27 : Sean Lemmens
28 : Lewis Taylor
29 : Rory Lobb
30 : Trent Dumont

Pick 59 was a rookie upgrade, potentials:
60 : Mitch Honeychurch
62 : Jonothan Freeman
65 : Tom Langdon
66 : Sam Lloyd

Pick 18/19 we selected Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres, other options available:
20 : Jack Leslie
21 : Jarman Impey
22 : Darcy Gardiner
23 : Matt Crouch

Trade 2
Nick Dal Santo (Pick 25 Compo), Pick 41, Pick 48, Pick 77 for Billy Longer, Josh Bruce, Luke Delaney

Pick 25 was Daniel McStay with potentials:
26 : Zach Merrett
27 : Sean Lemmens
28 : Lewis Taylor
29 : Rory Lobb
30 : Trent Dumont

:D I personally don't care what other people think.

Luv Longer watched him at training a lot 8-)
Billings is the type of player we have not recruited for a decade
Acres will be a gun people have to be patient
Savage again brings a guy in who in kicking skill level would be in the top 5 now at the club now

Wright Murdoch Markworth White Newnes Roberton Bruce Ross are a great foundation too
And finally Dunstan who I feel will be the leader of the pack really happy with recruiting last 2 years

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is a great player. Would probably have Captained the side this year or next.

Will thrive at Hawthorn and help them continue to dominate.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:McEvoy is a great player. Would probably have Captained the side this year or next.

Well that solves that!
Love your certainty.
Can you give me the lotto numbers for next week please.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:McEvoy is a great player. Would probably have Captained the side this year or next.

You said recently he wasnt anywhere near a great player. Please make up your mind. You shouldnt just change your mind depending on how a thread is going.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wow

Stalking again are we, that's a 20 second reply to everyone of my posts in separate threads... All would have been typically argumentative and antagonistic...

Hope you're providing some quotes chief?

Otherwise one could assume that you make stuff up to help you're futile little points.

I wonder if you actually agree or disagree with the comment.... Or just playing the man as per usual?

Snore

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

falka wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
falka wrote:I cant believe that people arent saying how good a deal this is for saints, turning a dinosaur and pick 24 into pick 18, 19 and Savage. We got Longer also to replace, who on potential and at junior level was better ruck AND a better leader (captained Vic Metro).

If this doesnt equal great trade (on paper), well i'm out of here.
Stop using facts please. Gets in the way of delusional thoughts from some.

Even if Mac improves at the Hawks we got great compo. End of story
s***, sorry forgot we are St.Kilda so we must have stuffed it up.
I won't mention that Acres wouldn't have lasted to 24 and will be the 2nd best player from the draft (behind Billings) and Dunstan the next Sam Mitchell.
Oi!!!

Stop.right.there!

Falks' and SP... what's with this using of actual facts on here to spoil a good theory!?!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:Still think trading away Nick Dal Santo was a stupid choice... 260 games loyal * to the one club, pushed out by us... stupid.
name another club who will have three absolute former home grown champions playing against them this year..

sure tippet , buddy and ablett have left their clubs for greener pastures but we pushed ball bj and now dal santo out of the club.....makes you wanna cry.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
falka wrote:I cant believe that people arent saying how good a deal this is for saints, turning a dinosaur and pick 24 into pick 18, 19 and Savage. We got Longer also to replace, who on potential and at junior level was better ruck AND a better leader (captained Vic Metro).

If this doesnt equal great trade (on paper), well i'm out of here.
Stop using facts please. Gets in the way of delusional thoughts from some.

Even if Mac improves at the Hawks we got great compo. End of story
s***, sorry forgot we are St.Kilda so we must have stuffed it up.
I won't mention that Acres wouldn't have lasted to 24 and will be the 2nd best player from the draft (behind Billings) and Dunstan the next Sam Mitchell.

i hope you are right....in fact half right will do me fine.... :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Still think trading away Nick Dal Santo was a stupid choice... 260 games loyal * to the one club, pushed out by us... stupid.
name another club who will have three absolute former home grown champions playing against them this year..

sure tippet , buddy and ablett have left their clubs for greener pastures but we pushed ball bj and now dal santo out of the club.....makes you wanna cry.....
rubbish. Ball; yes.
BJ - he left of his own accord for a lot more money- and supposedly to play in his preferred position (well, one out of two aint bad)
Dal - okay, but then again will this be an inspired move come 2016?
remember Hawthorn and Carlton used to do this to great effect back in the late eighties.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 16 Feb 2014 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Savage again brings a guy in who in kicking skill level would be in the top 5 now at the club now

as good a kick as dal santo???

stinger
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
stinger wrote:

rubbish. Ball; yes.
BJ - he left of his own accord for a lot more money- and supposedly to play in his preferred position (well, one out of two aint bad)
Dal - okay, but then again will this be an inspired move come 2016?
remember Hawthorn and Carlton used to do this to great effect back in the late eighties.

of course they were all pushed out...not rubbish at all...all the saints had to do was match the drug cheats offer....bj then had to stay....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:of course they were all pushed out...not rubbish at all...all the saints had to do was match the drug cheats offer....bj then had to stay....
Free agency. There'll be plenty more of these situations in future, for every club.

Was Dale Thomas pushed out of Collingwood or did they just let him go? And does that distinction really matter?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:of course they were all pushed out...not rubbish at all...all the saints had to do was match the drug cheats offer....bj then had to stay....
Free agency. There'll be plenty more of these situations in future, for every club.

Was Dale Thomas pushed out of Collingwood or did they just let him go? And does that distinction really matter?
unfortunately ...for me...i'm old school where loyalty and love of team comes first...where a job was a job for life...as was a wife.....

i hate seeing saints players playing in enemy colours...and to me they really are the enemy.........i was miserable for years watching big carl and plugger play in non-saints jumpers......and that goes back 40 plus years.....i'm not going to change now...........hate it....

the new world order is not something i can take to.......but if you look at my last paragraph...nothings really new.......just that the saints have a bad records in retaining its stars.....

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm, I remember when some big guy called Lockett left the club, and all doomsday believers said it was the end, 3 years later we played off in a Grand Final because of the players we got from the trade.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

It was a no brainer for both sides.

Stkilda needs the draft picks, the early talent to build for another tilt. They can afford to give longer 3-5 years to get to his peak. Hawks NEEDED a ruckman. Longer would not have helped them whilst they are at the top. Thus macca was perfect.
Personally I have never rated macca as a top 10 ruckman. Does not compete well enough at the bounce and thus is always required to work back into the defensive 50 on the back of lost centre square clearances. Winning the centre square means your rucks are defending half forward instead. Much better value.

but he can run all day, is in his prime and will give good service. Win win for both sides.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Hmmm, I remember when some big guy called Lockett left the club, and all doomsday believers said it was the end, 3 years later we played off in a Grand Final because of the players we got from the trade.

just who you think we got from the trade????????

apart from smith who was gone post 97 we got sfa,,,,,,

the sfa being hemsley kitchen and nugent.....

and for the record...if we still had plugger we would have romped it in in 97....

that we did well out of the trade is a lie perpetuated by journos like mick sheahan.......it's bullsh!t....

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

stinger wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Hmmm, I remember when some big guy called Lockett left the club, and all doomsday believers said it was the end, 3 years later we played off in a Grand Final because of the players we got from the trade.

and for the record...if we still had plugger we would have romped it in in 97....

that we did well out of the trade is a lie perpetuated by journos like mick sheahan.......it's bullsh!t....
I think we also got Daryl Wakelin in the deal as well as Robert Neill

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
stinger wrote:

I think we also got Daryl Wakelin in the deal as well as Robert Neill

robbie neill....yeah forgot about him....whoopee....swans got the greatest ever full forward for robbie neill.......wow....

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

You have to give something to get something. We needed to get something, urgently - midfielders, and a whole lot of them. We had a limited array of things we could give.

Ben is an ordinary ruckman at the bounces, but a very good around the ground mark, with elite endurance. He is also widely regarded as a good leader. He was not at his best last year, largely, IMO, due to our need for him to keep heading back behind play to supplement our anaemic defence.

That is not an issue he will have at he hawks, so they will potentially see more upside from him. I wish him well.

However, we have done exceptionally well from the trade. Savage and 2 x top twenty picks (taken as badly needed mids). We also replaced McEvoy with Longer. Will Longer be as good or better, who knows, but I do know it would have been useless having a good ruckman trying to support the competitions worst midfield - which is where we were rapidly heading if we didn't find a way to start feeding in a number of quality young midfielders.

Trading out a good player and getting a good outcome from the trade are not mutually exclusive outcomes.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bergsone
SS Life Member

Can live with the Ball,Goddard,McEvoy,trades however imo we should have kept NDS,I know we did well out of it,just that a side screaming out for GOOD users of the footy,he is ideal.Time will tell ................anyway that's my rant

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Can live with the Ball,Goddard,McEvoy,trades however imo we should have kept NDS,I know we did well out of it,just that a side screaming out for GOOD users of the footy,he is ideal.Time will tell ................anyway that's my rant
For mine he's the least necessary. He'll be 30 in a few days - when we're next competing he'll be 33, 34, even older. He is durable so he might still be going then, Brent Harvey or Dustin Fletcher style, but safe to say he won't be at his peak.

And also he doesn't set an example quite like a Lenny Hayes does. Dal has very significant natural gifts and he works hard on the field but doesn't quite play his soul out. There's a limit to the number of old guys we can have and I'd choose Lenny any day.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is certainly not a great player. Great players poll 3 votes. How many times has he done that.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

KB, Dunstall, Parkin, King, Richardson, Harford. Well they have been the ones I have heard. Havent heard anyone say he is an ordinary player except here.
So they're all people who watch the Saints every week. Unlike the people on here.

No they probably dont see the Saints as much as some on here but they also arent biased like some on here. I will admit there were a few that didnt rate Ben when he played for us but typical of supporters there are now others who dont rate him. Guess why? he left thats why. last year we werent going to miss BJ in some peoples eyes because Siposs was going to replece hime. Well that worked out well. This year Longer and Hickey are doing the job and will be better players long term. Hope they are right but to me its a case of people hoping they are right. The best situation for all would be that Savage is good for us and either Longer or Hickey play a very good role in the ruck but its to early tell. I hope and wish that all hoppens but IMO Ben is a loss. Plenty of times im wrong and hopefully this is another.
Not biased at all who did Dunstall, Parkin and Harford play for again?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

we would have romped it in, but the problem is that we never would have gotten into a Grand Final with Lockett in the team.
Face it, he went through a complete character change when he went to Sydney.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:McEvoy is certainly not a great player. Great players poll 3 votes. How many times has he done that.
Exactly.

How many good games does it take to be classed a good player. Ben has polled 2 brownlow votes. 1 against carlton and another against the dockers in 2011 when we pumped them there.

Blake has more brownlow votes :shock: