Only two more sleeps

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Only two more sleeps

Who introduced the worlds most boring game onto this thread?

The idiots who support soccer showed their true colours in the brawls in Melbourne. Well I suppose after sitting through a soccer game you would feel frustrated enough to have a fight to liven things up.

Anyway, looking forward to reports on Saints training on here.

Freebird
Club Player

Agree...soccer is sooo booring that brawling and singing fills in the void

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

After watching a game of "Soccer" I get the insatiable urge to punch someone in the head or at least start or be involved in a riot...or feeling somewhat akin to a complete Fing Idiot.. light a flare...but maybe that's just me ?

PS Do I need one eye brow to enjoy that game?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Why all the hate for soccer?

I think you'll find that quite a few people around the world enjoy it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I think Aussie Rules is a great game, probably the best in the world, but if you can't find a spare brain cell or two to appreciate other sports then I feel sorry for you.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:I think Aussie Rules is a great game, probably the best in the world, but if you can't find a spare brain cell or two to appreciate other sports then I feel sorry for you.
I really can't spare any Brain cells so therefore I just can't appreciate Soccer and no need to feel sorry for me, I feel really good about where I'm at regarding my sports appreciation but thanks for your concern. :)

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After Aussie Rules, my favourite sport was boxing, but it has disappeared in recent years, I believed that people and the media found it too blood thirsty, but then along came cage fighting, which is basically what you see in a street fight. Huh!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:After Aussie Rules, my favourite sport was boxing, but it has disappeared in recent years, I believed that people and the media found it too blood thirsty, but then along came cage fighting, which is basically what you see in a street fight. Huh!
I'm with you, BB. I love the sweet science, although I copped more punishment doing it than was probably healthy! Might explain a few things! I can't get over how much boxing has been demonised as "brutal", with calls to ban it altogether. Is the popularity and demand for MMA a backlash against the PC crowd, or has it also got something to do with the farcical way boxing has been administered and promoted?

BTW, I can appreciate soccer as a sport, but I read a really interesting study done in the UK as to the root causes of violence amongst spectators, and yes, boredom and a lack of scoring / action were amongst the the causes in the findings!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I'm with you, BB. I love the sweet science, although I copped more punishment doing it than was probably healthy! Might explain a few things! I can't get over how much boxing has been demonised as "brutal", with calls to ban it altogether. Is the popularity and demand for MMA a backlash against the PC crowd, or has it also got something to do with the farcical way boxing has been administered and promoted?
I saw a doco ten years or so ago about boxing, and it sounded almost as corrupt and fake as wrestling. Not sure how accurate that is but the whole bulls*** "personality" element of it takes away a bit from the sport itself.

sainters4eva
Club Player

Hey guys this was supposed to be a positive thread about the boys returning to training but somehow it's been turned into a discussion on other sports. I just want to throw my two bobs worth in here though before we move on. With all the increasing and unecessary violence occurring just about everywhere in the world, why are we even thinking about boxing as a sport and in particular that brutal UFC/MMC whatever it's called. It's just a form of thuggery and violence and it's promotion is sending the wrong messages.

Freebird
Club Player

Are st kilda training today?

martymcfly_86
Club Player

Have a look at the St Kilda FC twitter account. The great man Roger Federer just said "go saints"!

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
GoSaintersGo
Club Player

sainters4eva wrote:Hey guys this was supposed to be a positive thread about the boys returning to training but somehow it's been turned into a discussion on other sports. I just want to throw my two bobs worth in here though before we move on. With all the increasing and unecessary violence occurring just about everywhere in the world, why are we even thinking about boxing as a sport and in particular that brutal UFC/MMC whatever it's called. It's just a form of thuggery and violence and it's promotion is sending the wrong messages.
Tis a pleasure to read an intelligent post for a change, some maturity in your life sainters4eva.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I see nothing wrong with a thread morphing into something else, we are here to debate, chat, swap thoughts so why be constrained to a heading? I wonder deeply why it would bother someone.

Anyways...I love watching a good boxing match but cannot watch the cage style. Cannot watch Soccer.

Country Kid
Club Player

Freebird wrote:Are st kilda training today?
I believe Wednesday is the return to training day.

sainters4eva
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I see nothing wrong with a thread morphing into something else, we are here to debate, chat, swap thoughts so why be constrained to a heading? I wonder deeply why it would bother someone.

Anyways...I love watching a good boxing match but cannot watch the cage style. Cannot watch Soccer.
You wonder too deeply Fireman.

saint6
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Getting back to the boys - does anyone know if there are any open training sessions this coming week?
"OPEN" training sessions are announced on http://www.saints.com.au

It doesn't really matter anyway as there is bushland all around the place. If you headed down for a look I'm sure you would be made welcome !!

are you saying that there has been an open training session announced? If so I cannot find it anywhere on the website.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

sainters4eva wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I see nothing wrong with a thread morphing into something else, we are here to debate, chat, swap thoughts so why be constrained to a heading? I wonder deeply why it would bother someone.

I once almost drowned in my thoughts.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:

Thank god for floaties!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
sainters4eva
Club Player

:lol:
The Fireman wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:

:lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:
Thank god for floaties!
That would be a thought Bubble?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A fought bubble? Oh, we are back on boxing then.

Seriously, as a kid I enjoyed going to the West Melbourne Stadium and seeing the likes of George Braken (my favourite) and Maxie Carlos etc. Better entertainment than watching the Saints get pounded in them days. I would say the lack of star performers has had more to do with the downturn in boxing than anything else.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:
Nah, I usually enjoy watching Cricket but this Ashes Series has been disappointing because it has been so one sided, I'm completely over it.
i loved it....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:You sound like the people who rang up radio stations when we won all those tests in a row in the late 90's early 2000's who wanted us to lose because it was boring winning all the time. You know what I find boring, us being a very ordinary side and losing to the poms here and over there. Nothing boring IMO if we are much better than them and win easily.
I don't know who "us" are, but personally I have trouble caring about the Australian cricket team. In fact the only sport where I actually support the Australian team is soccer. So when I'm watching cricket I just like a good contest - not what we've had in this series.
didn't even know there was an australian soccer team team.......guess you learn something every day eh????

bit like the english criket team , i suppose....recruited from all over the world...????. :roll: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
sverik25 wrote:
Nah, I usually enjoy watching Cricket but this Ashes Series has been disappointing because it has been so one sided, I'm completely over it.
i loved it....
I loved it too. No stupid pommy sprinkler dances, either. Loved the way their papers destroyed them as well. Can't get enough of a good thing, I reckon!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!