Gilbo's Fresh Start

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbo's Fresh Start

Like Jones always marked harshly because of his dubious disposal efficiency.
If Riewoldt was marked on same basis as these 2 blokes he would be lucky to get a game!
Photos on his computer have annoyed all of us no end but some on here have judged him very harshly ever since.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:
Spinner wrote:I'm not a fan.

His actual performance for the last three years has been no where near his perceived performance.

He has been below average for a long time.
Played injured for the 'cause' in 2011 and 2012. Knee injury stopped him in 2013.

Injury free he is a gun.

Showed his capability last few games 2013.

Genuinely loves the club. Gives 1000% effort (not a typo) and is the ultimate utility.

Can even play chf one day if a certain blonde captain can no longer fill the role.

With the recruitment of Delaney and Bruce I think Gilbo will play wing or flanks.

Sorry but he is not a gun. No where close. In fact this is the type of opinion of Sam Gilbert that is so far from actual performance over a large period of time I was referring to.

Has had one good season. 2009. A little bit of 2010. And the rest below average.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Like Jones always marked harshly because of his dubious disposal efficiency.
If Riewoldt was marked on same basis as these 2 blokes he would be lucky to get a game!
Photos on his computer have annoyed all of us no end but some on here have judged him very harshly ever since.

That's probably the worst analogy I've ever read.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Spinner wrote:I'm not a fan.

His actual performance for the last three years has been no where near his perceived performance.

He has been below average for a long time.
Played injured for the 'cause' in 2011 and 2012. Knee injury stopped him in 2013.

Injury free he is a gun.

Showed his capability last few games 2013.

Genuinely loves the club. Gives 1000% effort (not a typo) and is the ultimate utility.

Can even play chf one day if a certain blonde captain can no longer fill the role.

With the recruitment of Delaney and Bruce I think Gilbo will play wing or flanks.

Sorry but he is not a gun. No where close. In fact this is the type of opinion of Sam Gilbert that is so far from actual performance over a large period of time I was referring to.

Has had one good season. 2009. A little bit of 2010. And the rest below average.
He shouldn't have even been playing with his injuries in 2011 and 2012. Especially the games he played with a severe back injury. Watch his most recent games to see what he brings to the side. In terms of defensive effort he is elite. In terms of offensive running he is very very good. And for a guy who supposedly cannot kick he amazingly spots up free leading targets in our forward 50. Must have been a complete fluke!

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His games on Pavlich and Sam Reid were very impressive... His game on Gary Ablett... Not so much!

But with Gilbo, you get a red hot crack at every contest.... He always gives 100% .... Just has brain fades, or massive turn overs

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He's got a side step that would win him a Dally M if he were in a different league.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Gilbo is training up to complete and total fitness without injury.
Provided he is able to maintain his fitness without injury, he will be a star in 2014 - AA, not just a nominee.

PJ
SS Life Member

Sam, hopefully will be one of a number of currently listed players that if fit will have a big impact next year. Schneider, Fisher in that group to.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:Sam, hopefully will be one of a number of currently listed players that if fit will have a big impact next year. Schneider, Fisher in that group to.
We got next to nothing out of them this year. You'd expect them to be among our best next season (if fit). If one or two of our third & fourth year players can come as did Jack Steven last year and a couple of our rookies become regulars we could have a much better season than 2013.
All a bit hypothetical, I know, but surely we're allowed to dream at this time of year.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i wish he;d start practicing to kick on the right

christ i can kick 30 meters on my left on the run at 40 as a right footer ffs

Megamaguire
Club Player

Gilbo's Focus & Disposal

I agree with Hurricane ..."Hopefully Richo can get him as focused as possible."
seconded!
Blessed with natural athletic attributes. The work in progress that is Gilbert is about to enter its experienced and game resourceful period. There's little doubt that if Gilbert can become a much more formidable St.Kilda player in the later years of his playing career many of us will be pleased and intrigued and not just because he is making the team perform better.
I would really like Gilbert's personal journey as a St.Kilda player in 2014 to really ramp up a level or two.

Focus and disposal to become impossible to miss !

GO GILBE!
GO S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer he'd kick better on his preferred foot before worrying about his left...

Very few afl player ever kick with their non preferred nowadays, when possession is everything.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:i wish he;d start practicing to kick on the right

Would love to see u do it in an afl game... Sorry your nowre near gilbo case closed.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Siposstar#2
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I'd prefer he'd kick better on his preferred foot before worrying about his left...

Very few afl player ever kick with their non preferred nowadays, when possession is everything.
He is left footed!

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:His games on Pavlich and Sam Reid were very impressive... His game on Gary Ablett... Not so much!

But with Gilbo, you get a red hot crack at every contest.... He always gives 100% .... Just has brain fades, or massive turn overs
IMO he beat Ablett for the first three quarters, the last, well, we all know what happened in the last... Which is what people remember because it was probably the best quarter played by anyone all year.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
matrix wrote:i wish he;d start practicing to kick on the right

Would love to see u do it in an afl game... Sorry your nowre near gilbo case closed.
ffs you're an idiot
who said i was anywhere near Gilbert?
if I can kick 30 on the left he should be able to at least get it on the boot on the right and it look half decent as an afl footballer

learn to f****** spell and the diff between you're and your otherwise you'll make yourself look like a complete pratt...after all, it's grade 9 stuff
yup
pratt
2 t's