Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Junction Oval on the brink of collapse

Suburban cricket needs to be pushed out into burbs... Having prime sporting locations reserved for amateur grade sports that no one watches seems like such a waste.

Roll out the cheque book Andrew.

spert
Saintsational Legend

C'mon Saints..get back to the Junction Oval. :-))

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

So perhaps this is a discussion worth having.

If we could SHARE an elite, inner-city facilty with Victorian cricket - with the majority of funds coming from the government - it would be majorly positive result for the club.

Don't forget, Collingwood moved into the Lexus Centre on the pretense of sharing with the VIS, which resulted in $13 million worth of funding. Then Collingwood took over.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/colli ... -egz0.html

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Like we needed any more reasons to loathe Collingwood, cheers Brumby.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Smart buisness decision!

PADDLEPOP1000
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

philtee wrote:Would love to see the Saints do a serious pre-season training session there, or hold a family day there,
early next year.
It would tickle the media's interest with good photo opps, and it would show how we haven't forgotten our history.
Just need to get VCA's permission...
AGREE !!

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
Majority
Club Player

Moorabbin Football Club won the 1963 VFA Premiership, but was dead by 1964 .

Paul Amy
Moorabbin Kingston Leader
June 18, 2013

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... 6665684022

luckysaint
Club Player

Does anyone the history of why the football club and cricket clubs split?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

They were always fighting. Never a happy partnership. Cricket players spectating at games used to sledge and mock the players during matches quite openly. Successful cricket club, broke football club.
They can't even play the reclink Community Cup matches at the Junction any more, wouldn't want to be holding my breath for St Kilda playing AFL practice matches there.
Some of my happiest footy memories were at the Junction watching us play Fitzroy there (not old enough to remember it as being our home ground). Always seemed like we had some home ground advantage there. I remember us winning two high scoring matches there some time around the Patterson era.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting that Demitriou is now talking about Seaford and how the AFL has issues about our home.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Interesting that Demitriou is now talking about Seaford and how the AFL has issues about our home.
Imagine if the AFL were as determined to see us succeed as they are for the new franchises…

Pump millions in, salary cap concessions etc…

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Junction would be great but the club would never get a return on the Seaford investment. Who would want that facility - who could afford it?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

St Kilda to St Kilda.......makes sense

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Interesting that Demitriou is now talking about Seaford and how the AFL has issues about our home.
What issues ?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Imagine if the AFL were as determined to see us succeed as they are for the new franchises…

Pump millions in, salary cap concessions etc…
more tha 100 million dollars to gws i'm told......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Very poor decisions re Seaford years ago, has cost the Club dearly and we the regular supporters are paying for it! Naturally, the decision makers have moved on!

The AFL would need to invest in Junction Oval and they won't put the big money needed into it, while they are supporting GWS & Gold Coast. Doubtful that it would work anyway, because of transport/parking problems.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Junction Oval wrote: Doubtful that it would work anyway, because of transport/parking problems.
For once I disagree with you JO, and I offer up five words as to why... Australian Formula One Grand Prix.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
sverik25
Club Player

I wish people would stop creating this negative perception around Seaford. And we all know that perception is reality. As far as the location goes, how is it that different from Essendon's new base at Tullamarine?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seriously i reckon we are more hope of going to the moon than ever having anything to do with the junction oval again. Its Seaford or Moorabbin. Not one person has convinced me it matters where you train.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:I wish people would stop creating this negative perception around Seaford. And we all know that perception is reality. As far as the location goes, how is it that different from Essendon's new base at Tullamarine?
About 17km according to Google Maps.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

sverik25 wrote:I wish people would stop creating this negative perception around Seaford. And we all know that perception is reality. As far as the location goes, how is it that different from Essendon's new base at Tullamarine?

Tullamarine is 15 minutes from the CBD.

Stop comparing it with a location that is 45 minutes from the CBD.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Tullamarine is 15 minutes from the CBD.

Stop comparing it with a location that is 45 minutes from the CBD.

But why does it matter?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

IMO St Kilda in St Kilda is akin to Collingwood leaving Vic Park & taking over Olympic Park. It made that club when they were on their knees.

It would take a massive shift in thinking though... this is big picture stuff & we have never had anyone ballsy (or well connected) enough to make something huge like this happen.

Those that ask "why does it matter" are kidding themselves. It's not about supporters watching training, it's about being close enough to the city that young talented players on big coin can live inner city like they want to. For us aged over 35, living in Mount Martha or on the Peninsula sounds like a great lifestyle. For a bloke is his early 20's its boredom city. With free agency now a fact of life, St Kilda needs to be a club that players are enthusiastic about joining (& I'm not talking about kids like Longer & Bruce who just wanted more opportunity). Seaford may be a great place to live in if you're not an elite sportsman on a few hundred large & who enjoys chasing high quality tail.

If StKCC move then there is an opportunity to aggressively approach Cricket Victoria with a dual occupancy proposal. Build the elite training facility big enough that it can serve both sports. Upgrade Harry Trott Oval as an AFL standard training ground (which CV manage as far as I know). Cricket can train on & use the Junction, St Kilda can train at Harry Trott, walk 30 metres across the road to the facility or wander down to the sea baths for rehab.

It can be done IF St Kilda has someone who can think BIG & take this club away from the horrible history of pain, underachievement & having the ar5e out of our pants.

Is Matt Finnis possibly the big thinker to do this???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:IMO St Kilda in St Kilda is akin to Collingwood leaving Vic Park & taking over Olympic Park. It made that club when they were on their knees.

It would take a massive shift in thinking though... this is big picture stuff & we have never had anyone ballsy (or well connected) enough to make something huge like this happen.

Those that ask "why does it matter" are kidding themselves. It's not about supporters watching training, it's about being close enough to the city that young talented players on big coin can live inner city like they want to. For us aged over 35, living in Mount Martha or on the Peninsula sounds like a great lifestyle. For a bloke is his early 20's its boredom city. With free agency now a fact of life, St Kilda needs to be a club that players are enthusiastic about joining (& I'm not talking about kids like Longer & Bruce who just wanted more opportunity). Seaford may be a great place to live in if you're not an elite sportsman on a few hundred large & who enjoys chasing high quality tail.

If StKCC move then there is an opportunity to aggressively approach Cricket Victoria with a dual occupancy proposal. Build the elite training facility big enough that it can serve both sports. Upgrade Harry Trott Oval as an AFL standard training ground (which CV manage as far as I know). Cricket can train on & use the Junction, St Kilda can train at Harry Trott, walk 30 metres across the road to the facility or wander down to the sea baths for rehab.

It can be done IF St Kilda has someone who can think BIG & take this club away from the horrible history of pain, underachievement & having the ar5e out of our pants.

Is Matt Finnis possibly the big thinker to do this???

Tell me you are joking with what you wrote. Are you saying a player says to his manager I wont train at the saints because they play in Seaford but i will with the pies. Junction oval is dead and it has been for 50 years. They arent going to waste their time on such crap. Now I know why Franlin left Geln Waverley. its all makes sense.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Tell me you are joking with what you wrote. Are you saying a player says to his manager I wont train at the saints because they play in Seaford but i will with the pies. Junction oval is dead and it has been for 50 years. They arent going to waste their time on such crap. Now I know why Franlin left Geln Waverley. its all makes sense.
I think it would be a factor. Not the only factor but definitely a factor especially with the 20 - 25 year old group.

Who is Franlin and where is Geln Waverley?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"