Ledger delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ledger delisted

Ledger had a bit of Robert Eddy about him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Ledger had a bit of Robert Eddy about him.
I prefer a shelf than a ledge

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Was over rated by a few on here............
I think we can now say the answer to that is a resounding yes.
But we all over-rate our own players. Its part of a fans DNA.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

with the exceptions of the whipping boys ... we underrate them

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:with the exceptions of the whipping boys ... we underrate them
:D :D :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Tough break for the kid

i'd still love to know why he wasn't played more.

His last 5 full games for the Saints saw him get 20+ possessions each time and at Sandy he had a solid season as one of their main ball winners at age 21.

His one full game this season was easily better than game between Saad, Milera and TDL, and minus Milne's game Vs WCE, him too.

Of those four, three or more of them played in the same match on 10 occasions, heres the breakdown

*Rd 1 – 90-77 loss to GCS. Milne = 1 goal from 13 disposals, Saad = 2 behinds from 9 disposals. Milera did better in that he converted his measly 11 disposals into 3 goals whilst TDL got donuts after coming on as sub.

*Rd 2 – 82-99 loss to Rich. Milne = 8 disposals for 1 goal, Saad = 7 disposals for 2 goals and Milera = 9 touches without troubling the scorers.

*Rd 3 – 68-140 win over GWS. All three of Milne, Saad and Milera kick 2-3 goals from about 15 touches on the back of an easy game.

*Rd 4 91-128 loss to the Bombers. Between them all they get a total of 35, yes 35 disposals for a return of 5 goals and under 15 tackles.

*Rd 7 victory Vs the Blues 77-68 with all of Milne, Saad, and Milera kicking 1-2 goals from about 12 disposals each.

*Rd 8 – 87-47 loss to the Crows. Our trio all have about 10 disposals for a return of 4 goals.

*Rd 9 – 101-110 loss to WB = 20 disposals and 3 goals between Milne and Saad and donuts for Terry (though I can’t recall if he was a late sub or injured early).

*Rd 11 – 80-84 loss to the umpires. Stephen Milne turns back the clock with 5 goals from 11 touches whilst Saad and TDL manage a combined 20 touches for 2 goals.

*Rd 15 – 100-70 loss to Freo on the back of a pathetic effort from Saad, Milera and TDL who gather a combined 19 disposals and 4 goals

And finally, Rd 16 – 110-74 loss to Carlton. Milne gets 2 goals from 10 disposals whilst TDL and Milera combine for a massive 11 disposals without troubling the scorers.

Still think he was worth another 5 games

Least we're persevering with TDL though...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

TDL will prob be delisted in 2014 ... short of a massive improvment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Tough break for the kid

His last 5 full games for the Saints saw him get 20+ possessions each time and at Sandy he had a solid season as one of their main ball winners at age 21.

His one full game this season was easily better than game between Saad, Milera and TDL, and minus Milne's game Vs WCE, him too.

Of those four, three or more of them played in the same match on 10 occasions, heres the breakdown

*Rd 1 – 90-77 loss to GCS. Milne = 1 goal from 13 disposals, Saad = 2 behinds from 9 disposals. Milera did better in that he converted his measly 11 disposals into 3 goals whilst TDL got donuts after coming on as sub.

*Rd 2 – 82-99 loss to Rich. Milne = 8 disposals for 1 goal, Saad = 7 disposals for 2 goals and Milera = 9 touches without troubling the scorers.

*Rd 3 – 68-140 win over GWS. All three of Milne, Saad and Milera kick 2-3 goals from about 15 touches on the back of an easy game.

*Rd 4 91-128 loss to the Bombers. Between them all they get a total of 35, yes 35 disposals for a return of 5 goals and under 15 tackles.

*Rd 7 victory Vs the Blues 77-68 with all of Milne, Saad, and Milera kicking 1-2 goals from about 12 disposals each.

*Rd 8 – 87-47 loss to the Crows. Our trio all have about 10 disposals for a return of 4 goals.

*Rd 9 – 101-110 loss to WB = 20 disposals and 3 goals between Milne and Saad and donuts for Terry (though I can’t recall if he was a late sub or injured early).

*Rd 11 – 80-84 loss to the umpires. Stephen Milne turns back the clock with 5 goals from 11 touches whilst Saad and TDL manage a combined 20 touches for 2 goals.

*Rd 15 – 100-70 loss to Freo on the back of a pathetic effort from Saad, Milera and TDL who gather a combined 19 disposals and 4 goals

And finally, Rd 16 – 110-74 loss to Carlton. Milne gets 2 goals from 10 disposals whilst TDL and Milera combine for a massive 11 disposals without troubling the scorers.

TDL is a small forward and more importantly has another year of his contract to go. Both probably would have been delsited otherwise. ledger is an ordinary footballer because of what he does without the ball. He doesnt understand the defence. He thinks its separates properties.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

fair enough plugger

he was however played a few times as a midfielder. He had an extremely average year.

I accept I'm comparing apples to oranges but I simply cannot rationalise how someone can argue that over those 10 games, based on that output, it wasn't worth giving Tom a few more games

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Plenty if players have aspects to their games to work - Dal Santo nearly placed two's cause he didn't understand defense

Ledger will be one if those players who I thought had the ability to make it - he found the ball, won his own ball and so e don't get near it

That said, from all reports his disposal /decisions under pressure came into question - maybe those less tangible things to improve sealed his fate.

“Yeah….nah””
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Bet he is regretting requesting a de-list from the Saints now. He may have stayed even if it was as a rookie. Watters from reports had it in for him.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess if Ledger was any good, he would still be there. I don't think he had a lot of competition from some of the similar guys getting senior gigs, as many have ordinary disposal and ordinary defensive sides and just plainly didn't get their hands on the ball enough. Probably more an attitude thing I suspect.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Ledger lacked 'on field' discipline, not a team man at all.
That sort of player will always find it hard to survive in AFL, after all it's a team sport.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He obviously would be regretting his decision but that's the problem when you listen to your manager

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I doubt it would have made any difference, we were very unlikely to offer him another contract.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good effort....great post

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:He obviously would be regretting his decision but that's the problem when you listen to your manager

Doubt it.

He took an educated option of increasing his chances of moving elsewhere.

Writing was on the wall at St Kilda - He did something about it. In the end he didn't get picked up, but at least maximized his chances of doing so.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

GoSaintersGo wrote:Ledger lacked 'on field' discipline, not a team man at all.
That sort of player will always find it hard to survive in AFL, after all it's a team sport.
Ahhhh. So we should compare him with Caydn Beetham? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

squiz
Club Player

Maybe the real question is he a better option then Eli or Weller

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

squiz wrote:Maybe the real question is he a better option then Eli or Weller

Probably not...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where these stats are coming from.

8 games gained 103 disposals, and only twice was above 20. Once was against the Freo reserves masquerading as the seniors, and the other time was against GWS last season when the Saints had a big win.

I also do not understand the logic of comparing the stats of a mid, to forwards.

I do not rate TDL. But that is another story.

With Ledger he is not a small forward, and was not going to be.

He was a mid and therefore was against (ignoring our older mids) Steven, Armo, Newnes, Ross, Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Geary, Wright, Weller etc

With 3 low picks it was Ledger vs Billings, Dunstan and Acres. He lost out.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Possessions are a horrible way to evaluate forwards. We averaged 46.4 I50s per game (3rd worst) and only GWS turned over the ball more frequently. Roo averaged 18.6 possessions per game. So given our lack of supply, our lack of quality in our supply and our focus on a single target, how much possession did people think our smalls were going to get?

Similarly, a 20-possession game from a mid tells us little. More than 100 guys averaged over 20 possessions. Teams use the ball a lot more and mifielders rack up much higher numbers than they used to. More than anything else, a 20-possession game says you played in the midfield. It doesn't necessarily mean you played well.

As much as he's loathed here TDL is much closer to our best-22 than Ledger would have been. With Milne and Saad gone, there' no real standouts at small forward and anybody's guess who gets a game there. My guess is we'll stick with three talls, rotating Hickey and Stanley through the forward line. Even if we play a 5-man forward line, we'll still need at least two smalls. One of those could be TDL, at least in theory. Ledger wasn't going to get a game anywhere.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stinger
Saintsational Legend

I saw his last two games live. ....the boy kicked impossible goals....imho the boy can play....someone else mus have thought so too at some stage ..otherwise we would never have drafed him in the first place....maybe he will have an outstanding year in the west aussie league and come back a better player next time he is drafted...hope so....watters didn't do him any favours...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:I saw his last two games live. ....the boy kicked impossible goals....imho the boy can play....someone else mus have thought so too at some stage ..otherwise we would never have drafed him in the first place....maybe he will have an outstanding year in the west aussie league and come back a better player next time he is drafted...hope so....watters didn't do him any favours...

No coach he had in the AFL did him any favours. pelchen and Richardson didnt either. maybe that suggests he isnt good enough or just very unlucky. I'll go with not good enough.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:I saw his last two games live. ....the boy kicked impossible goals....imho the boy can play....someone else mus have thought so too at some stage ..otherwise we would never have drafed him in the first place....
I'm not sure that tells you anything. There's a lot of guys we drafted who didn't work out. Presumably we thought Rob Eddy had talent in the first place. And Caydn Beetham. Nick Winmar, Chris Oliver, Dermot McNichol, Eljay Connors. A lot more guys fail than succeed - I don't see why Ledger couldn't be one of them.