Right Direction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wotever1
Club Player

Right Direction

We could have sat on our bums and did nothing and wilted away like the lions.

Instead we did the following:

1. Trade Big Mac (thanks for your service bigboy) recruit Longer (a couple of years in the system)

2. Trade Dal ( Loveya) goodluck,

3. Recruit - Delaney and Bruce exactly what we need Defensive Gorillas

3. Coach not upto it. see ya later scotty. bring in Richo (this upset every non st Kilda person in Australia)
why because he knows his trade and has r e s p e c t!!!!! in the footy community.

4. Three new draftees today add in savage, hoping two become A grade.

So for a club in crisis we are only missing a fulltime CEO. Get the right person saints.

another season like this year and 2015 and ahead looks bright.

Only problem is GC and GWS will be in a strong position as well.

In Pelchin, Summers and the incoming CEO I trust

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Right Direction

The work done in this off season has been so, so much better than the St Kilda we have known for the past 10-12 years. We will struggle for another two or three seasons but when we rise there's no limit on how far. We are obviously looking for a full-scale rebuild and sustained success rather than the mid-range mediocrity that has plagued teams like Richmond, Carlton and North Melbourne since the early 2000s.

This has been our best off season since getting Gehrig, Hamill, Roo, Kosi and Voss in 2000.

Our 2017 team is looking something like this:

B: Simpkin (26), Delaney (27), Geary (28)
HB: Roberton (25), Bruce (24), Webster (23)
C: Wright (23), Armitage (28), Curren (24)
HF: Billings (21), Stanley (26), Acres (21)
F: Savage (26), Lee (26), White (22)

Foll: Hickey (26), Steven (27), Dunstan (22)
Int from: Newnes (24), Longer (23), Ross (24), Siposs (24), Markworth (25), Gilbert (30), Minchington (23), Pierce (22), Saad (27), Saunders (22), Murdoch (23), Dunell (27)

Add in another 3-5 high quality AFL players to that team through drafts/trading/FA and there's a very decent team. I'd say 2017 is when we could start to push for a top four spot.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Honestly you can't predict a 2017 team now. We haven't even been through the 2014, 2015 drafts which may contain young developers and have no idea how this year's crop and traded in players will go.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kimberly saint
Club Player

this is stkilda we are talking about. The story will go like this ,our rebuild will be huge success . Any other decade a rebuild as good as ours would yield couple flags and 6 to 8 years of contending. But being stkilda ,we will of timed it all wrong as Goldcoast and GWS will have the flag tied up for the net ten years from 2016 onwards. After all the AFL hand outs there list will be invincible.
Be ready for the bronze medallion people , lets lay down restock and aim for 2025

Richter
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:The work done in this off season has been so, so much better than the St Kilda we have known for the past 10-12 years. We will struggle for another two or three seasons but when we rise there's no limit on how far. We are obviously looking for a full-scale rebuild and sustained success rather than the mid-range mediocrity that has plagued teams like Richmond, Carlton and North Melbourne since the early 2000s.

This has been our best off season since getting Gehrig, Hamill, Roo, Kosi and Voss in 2000.

Our 2017 team is looking something like this:

B: Simpkin (26), Delaney (27), Geary (28)
HB: Roberton (25), Bruce (24), Webster (23)
C: Wright (23), Armitage (28), Curren (24)
HF: Billings (21), Stanley (26), Acres (21)
F: Savage (26), Lee (26), White (22)

Foll: Hickey (26), Steven (27), Dunstan (22)
Int from: Newnes (24), Longer (23), Ross (24), Siposs (24), Markworth (25), Gilbert (30), Minchington (23), Pierce (22), Saad (27), Saunders (22), Murdoch (23), Dunell (27)

Add in another 3-5 high quality AFL players to that team through drafts/trading/FA and there's a very decent team. I'd say 2017 is when we could start to push for a top four spot.
Agreed msg. We now have 30 full listed players under 26 on our list.

For our 2017 list you can add....

- Gilbert (30)
- Gwilt (30)
- Ray (31)
- Montagna (33)

For mine the likes of Simpkin, Ross, Siposs, Saunders, Murdoch, Dunell are marginal and highly likely to be pushed out.
Add in a quality Tall forward adn another mid next year and there's something to work with

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, it's great to see that we are heading in the right direction, due to some positive, strategic, smart moves in the Trade/Draft period, but more needs to be done.

2014 will be a very important year to see who will step up from, as Richter said, the like likes of Simpkin, Ross, Siposs, Saunders, Murdoch, Dunell.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Honestly you can't predict a 2017 team now. We haven't even been through the 2014, 2015 drafts which may contain young developers and have no idea how this year's crop and traded in players will go.
While true...mad saint guys very valid point is that we are heading very much in the right direction.

We are also being very, very stregic in that we are building a TEM and are not just getting players.

After 3 drafting/trading periods with Pelchen we can see a new team emerging with most positions being covered.

Ruck, Key Forwards, Key Backs, Mids, versatile tallish flankkers...are all there.

The keyt thing too that Pelchen is achieving is that he has accelerated the rebuild with his various muliti-deals to get more, and better, players quicker.

ie rather than just having Ben, we have Longer, Savage and upgraded pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I take it that your tongue is firmly in your cheek with that post kimberly saint. Because IF that's the sort of you're going to take into the coming seasons, I would (respectfully) say that "support" like this is one of the reasons why our club has failed so often. There are just too many people who refuse to embrace positive developments, and are ready to go into losing mode. Sorry, nothing personal, just the way I see it.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Our 2017 team is looking something like this:
Nice work. Let me show it from a slightly different angle.

Retired by 2017: (thanks for your service)
Hayes (37)
Riewoldt (34)
Jones (33)

Probably Retired by 2017: (could play through if the body holds up)
Fisher (34, over 200 games)
Schneider (33, nearing 250 games)
Dempster (33, nearing 200 games)

Veterans in 2017: (over 30)
Montagna (33, over 250 games)
Ray (31, over 200 games)
Gilbert (30, nearing 200 games)
Gwilt (30, over 150 games)

Experienced Players in 2017: (over 100 games)
Armitage (28, nearing 150 games)
Geary (28, nearing 150 games)
Steven (27, over 100 games)
Savage (26, over 100 games)
Roberton (25, over 100 games)

Core/Mid-Range Players in 2017: (24 - 28, over 50 games)
Delaney (27, over 50 games)
Saad (27, over 50 games... maybe)
Stanley (26, nearing 100 games)
Hickey (26, over 50 games)
Bruce (24, over 50 games)
Curren (24, over 50 games)
Siposs (24, over 50 games)
Newnes (24, over 50 games)
Ross (24, over 50 games)
Longer (24, over 50 games)

Emerging Players in 2017: (less than 50 games)
Lee (26, nearing 50 games)
Markworth (25, nearing 50 games)
Webster (23, over 50 games)
Wright (23, over 50 games)
Murdoch (23, nearing 50 games)
Saunders (22, nearing 50 games)
White (22, less than 50 games)
Pierce (22, less than 50 games)
Dunstan (22, less than 50 games)
Billings (22, less than 50 games)
Acres (22, less than 50 games)

Players Possibly Dumped by 2017: (my judgement says they won't make it)
Maister (31, over 50 games)
Milera (29, over 50 games)
Dennis-Lane (28, over 50 games)
Dunell (27, nearing 50 games)
Simpkin (26, over 50 games)
Shenton (26, less than 20 games)
Minchington (23, less than 20 games)

It takes a few years, but the list structure here is very solid:
- A few veterans hanging around (if they're still playing well).
- A small but good quality experienced group.
- A reasonable number of core players.
- A big bunch of emerging players, which includes three more years of early draft picks.

The one big determinant of how good we'll be is how the core group turns out: Delaney, Stanley, Hickey, Bruce, Curren, Siposs, Newnes, Ross and Longer. If all goes according to plan we'll get an entire spine out of that bunch; if not, we'll struggle for another couple of years at least.

So be hopeful and keep an eye on those guys!

kimberly saint
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I take it that your tongue is firmly in your cheek with that post kimberly saint. Because IF that's the sort of you're going to take into the coming seasons, I would (respectfully) say that "support" like this is one of the reasons why our club has failed so often. There are just too many people who refuse to embrace positive developments, and are ready to go into losing mode. Sorry, nothing personal, just the way I see it.
i was being very sarcastic mate. Just for the record i am very positive in the direction the club has chosen to go on field, with the trade period etc. Of field i have no idea wat is going on . Sum the dooms day post i read on this site i could see wat your saying . cheers

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I think we might come on quicker than you think. I'm tipping finals in 2015 and top four in 2016. We'll be very aggressive in the next FA period, many guns coming out of contract.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
citywest

kimberly saint wrote:this is stkilda we are talking about. The story will go like this ,our rebuild will be huge success . Any other decade a rebuild as good as ours would yield couple flags and 6 to 8 years of contending. But being stkilda ,we will of timed it all wrong as Goldcoast and GWS will have the flag tied up for the net ten years from 2016 onwards. After all the AFL hand outs there list will be invincible.
Be ready for the bronze medallion people , lets lay down restock and aim for 2025
WELL SAID kimberly saint. Below is what I posted in another thread......

I agree with you Bigmart. The concessions given to GWS and GCS will create 2 power houses the likes never before seen in the AFL. Unfortunately for us it means that when we get to the top again in about 5 years we will have virtually no chance of winning that elusive 2nd flag. I fear that fate has/will conspire against us again. Just like the toe poke in 2009 and the bad bounce in 2010.

I hope our recruiters can also see this and take the appropriate action by delaying our rise up the ladder as much as possible. The reason for this is we need more top 20 draft picks in our team so when we do rise we are as strong as possible. The only way to do this is to keep trading at least 1 player every year that gains us a top 20 pick. The last 2 years being perfect examples, although strictly speaking McEvoy was the only trade, Goddard and Dal were FA but had the desired effect in gaining us top picks.

Is there a player on our list that we can do the same again next year? Yes there is, Gilbert. Would any team give a top 20 pick for him? Not sure. If we don't take this path and our rise coincides with GWS and GCS then we're stuffed.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

wotever1 wrote:
Only problem is GC and GWS will be in a strong position as well.

In Pelchin, Summers and the incoming CEO I trust

I'm counting on the fact that our new team is being built upon an already strong core with a successful foundation, while GC and GWS are being built from scratch, to give us the competitive advantage when were all around together at the whip-cracking section of the season in a few years time...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm just happy to go along to the footy and enjoy whatever wins we have, while watching our new kids develop. I have no more expectation than that at the moment. No pressure, just see where we go, with our new coach and recruits. I'm excited!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Saint 58
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm just happy to go along to the footy and enjoy whatever wins we have, while watching our new kids develop. I have no more expectation than that at the moment. No pressure, just see where we go, with our new coach and recruits. I'm excited!
Fully agree but thinking ahead I'm hoping that one of Boyd/Patton will be pushed out by the other, (most likely Patton ??), and we can trade for him :D

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

have to say 2017 gws love childs will ne gifted a flag.
2019 is the year we need to focus on.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Would be a great year to be watching Sandy!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SAAD
Club Player

GWS will get a flag with all of it's 3,000 supporters and Demetriou at the MCG to celebrate.

70s sainter
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Yes, it's great to see that we are heading in the right direction, due to some positive, strategic, smart moves in the Trade/Draft period, but more needs to be done.

2014 will be a very important year to see who will step up from, as Richter said, the like likes of Simpkin, Ross, Siposs, Saunders, Murdoch, Dunell.
Sadly enough youre probably right . If they can keep their players , any team with a full list of round one players could win it on skill alone. As positive as i feel about the way our list is going if i had their list i would be feeling ten times more positive- which sux because they dont deserve it.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I think we need to evaluate the side one year at a time before making bold forecasts and predictions for the team 3 years down the track.

The trade/draft period was definitely encouraging and pleasing for the fans; we managed to cover a lot of bases (strengthened draft picks/position, traded for defensive cover, got good value for outgoing stalwarts) and the three draftees all look promising from a talent perspective.

There are no guarantees with youngsters, that's part of the excitement that they bring - unpredictability. I would be loathe to pencil in Delaney and Bruce into our 2017 side prior to them playing a minute for the club - neither could break into weak defensive sides previously. Makes you wonder why.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

2014 probably won't feel too different to 2013 and probably will be managed in a similar fashion, i.e. keep introducing as many new recruits as possible, and get as many games into all of the young and the new.

Probably the main difference between 2013 and 2014 will expectation, most will probably by now know that they should hope for the best but plan for the worst. Having said that there should still be heaps for supporters to support.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:2014 probably won't feel too different to 2013 and probably will be managed in a similar fashion, i.e. keep introducing as many new recruits as possible, and get as many games into all of the young and the new.

Probably the main difference between 2013 and 2014 will expectation, most will probably by now know that they should hope for the best but plan for the worst. Having said that there should still be heaps for supporters to support.

a change in coach must make some sort of difference to the team, direction, strategy and tactics?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

all the talk about the GC and GWS becoming powerhouses is a little bit over stated ... yes they have a huge chunk of talent from the drafts but... they still have to keep them all , they have to fit them in the SC and have to fight off the other clubs from poaching them ... we are already seeing guys like Caddy, Bruce and Tyson leave so its only going to be a matter of time befor the likes of O'mera Swallow, Patton, Benell, Cameron, Whitfield, Plowman and Coniglio all get approaches from their home states... we also have to factor in the injury's drop in form and out right dud picks that will bound to happen ....

GWS and GC will have a strong side in a few years no doubt but i think they will be competitors for the flag not sure things

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
citywest

Wrong St_Trav, GWS and GCS will more than likely win 3 premierships each in the next 15 years. As I said earlier, they will be a force like never before seen. It is generally acknowledged that Melbourne of the 50's and 60's and Hawthorn of the 80's are the 2 greatest teams ever. I suspect GWS and GCS will be talked about in the same vein in years to come. Only time will tell I suppose.
Also, don't forget if they lose players they will get even more top picks which in turn will keep them at the top even longer.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Wrong St_Trav, GWS and GCS will more than likely win 3 premierships each in the next 15 years.
That leaves 9 years for everyone else - plenty of time if we're good enough.