Age article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Age article

Fidelis
Club Player

Re: Age article

Nice work from the Pres. Back on the front foot after a poor performance last week. And moving to take the personalities out of it is very wise. I'm tipping we'll hear a lot more about 'the structure' over the next month or so.

Well played sir.

Faithful Even Unto Death
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Nice work from the Pres. Back on the front foot after a poor performance last week. And moving to take the personalities out of it is very wise. I'm tipping we'll hear a lot more about 'the structure' over the next month or so.

Well played sir.
As I said in another thread, Peter comes across very well in one on one print interviews. However, he may need a bit of media training to help him get through those "Hostile" pressers when the media vultures are circling !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

Yes Pres is learning that footy media a bit different from stockholders and his other traditional constituents. Hopefully picks up the skill soon.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the Prez who again says nothing, will learn. Mr. Right never had any idea.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Fidelis wrote:Nice work from the Pres. Back on the front foot after a poor performance last week. And moving to take the personalities out of it is very wise. I'm tipping we'll hear a lot more about 'the structure' over the next month or so.

Well played sir.
As I said in another thread, Peter comes across very well in one on one print interviews. However, he may need a bit of media training to help him get through those "Hostile" pressers when the media vultures are circling !!
To be fair that is a fairly tough media assignment to be given in your first month on the job, only drug scandals, school girls, rape cases and the like would be more difficult to nail. Let's hope the club doesn't give him too many more opportunities to hone the skills needed to do such media.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how any one of us would cope with it? (having to front up to the media pack) Not making excuses, just seeking reasons why the club have been criticized for the presser on Friday.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Well played sir.
Unfortunately if the press see this as a weakness they will target him at every opportunity. He has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Fidelis
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Hopefully the Prez who again says nothing, will learn. Mr. Right never had any idea.
You know I don't think he does say nothing. Admittedly he doesn't dish the dirt on Watters but I think that the message is very clear.

The review identified deficiencies and structures were put into place (or existing structures reinforced) to deal with them. Watters was sat down and told that if he can play his role within the guidelines, he's seen as a long term coach. Clearly he's acted in a way in the past weeks which reveal that he is not willing to work within that structure.

And he's acted his way out of the club.

Faithful Even Unto Death
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree Fidelis

I particularly like the message that what was discussed directly with Scott stays in house ... out of respect to Scott (certainly sets the expectation that the issues were all Scott's and we, the nice club, won't dis that"

This ice no doubt was decided weeks ago - with a view to let's get through trade period, gag him for that then garot him straight after .....

Nice work ninjas!

“Yeah….nah””
Kernal75
Club Player

The key difference in all this is that if one of the bigger clubs (Bombers, Pies etc) had the same press conference the media would be talking about their class in not airing their dirty laundry in public. We have the same conference and the feeling is that the "club did not adequately communicate the reasons behind the sacking of Watters" .No club ever comes out and says it exactly how it was, partly out of respect to the departed coach, and more importantly because it reallty is noone elses business other than those charged with making decisions. Clubs like us always seem to get the negative view of the media. It's probably because they percieve us as a "weak" club so therefore an easy target. I personally think the President performed well in the face of a swarming pack of media vultures.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Well played sir.

look..i read that...what did he say...???.nothing as far as i can work out....not personalities...but there were clashes?????...all double dutch to me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

So the Prez maintains silence on the "personalities" issue at the presser, the media scrum would have had a field day if He'd done otherwise. A case of being damned whatever course of action he took. Time to move on.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Kernal, I take some solace in the fact that the new 'prez' didn't air dirty laundry in public as well. Glad the club at least had the awareness that they would try to run the press release on the club's terms. Learn from the successful clubs and adapt.

The sen guys were scathing but Saints fans would be relieved!
I'm still in a bit of shock over SW but if ALL of the football dept. were not totally united then what can you do?
Pelchin given a licence to build the youth credentials of the team clashed severly with SW's room to move as it did with the way R.Lyon saught to run things. I still think the club performed poorly reg: Lyon in the sense that the club lost control early on, perhaps as early as the initial Lyon contract (by not making it clear that regularly bringing in talented youth for a sustained level of success was also a requirement).
Eventually Lyon decided there would be less hassle in Freeo and a quicker response in resigning contracts.
When we have a good coach (eg. Lyon) the club needs to strategise BETTER at keeping that individual working as best they can for the club.
Hopefully the club learns and improves.

Reg: Media. It is still the off - season and many in the media love the default St.Kilda summer story of chaos and mayhem
as a real easy article to sell a few rags. Not really that worried about the media musings.

The meat and potatoes is the likes of Longer; Bruce; Savage & Delaney coming to Moorabbin and the hard work at earning those 3 top 20 picks. Right now those 3 picks can still bounce the right way and give our club
the 'healthy' injection it needs.

We get another chance at spotting the perfect coach for this young and developing team and signing him up with a
well-thought out contract!

GO SAINTS! :)

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:So the Prez maintains silence on the "personalities" issue at the presser, the media scrum would have had a field day if He'd done otherwise. A case of being damned whatever course of action he took. Time to move on.
yep...think i agree with you......anyway don't want the club to be loading the journos shotguns....

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Well played sir.
He is finding his feet in this whole new role. Media is hard enough even for print let alone when you have journos and cameras. It won't be something his used to but will grow in to.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Eastern wrote:

Well played sir.

look..i read that...what did he say...???.nothing as far as i can work out....not personalities...but there were clashes?????...all double dutch to me.....
Clashes don't have to be personalities - there may have been clashes on direction, recruiting, structure..who knows.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Good article and interview.

I like very much all that I've seen and heard from and about Summers.

Richter
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Agree Fidelis

I particularly like the message that what was discussed directly with Scott stays in house ... out of respect to Scott (certainly sets the expectation that the issues were all Scott's and we, the nice club, won't dis that"

This ice no doubt was decided weeks ago - with a view to let's get through trade period, gag him for that then garot him straight after .....

Nice work ninjas!
Ruthless bit of work by Summers.

About time someone in Saints admin had a pair of cohunas like this bloke.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintlee
Club Player

markp wrote:Good article and interview.

Guess you missed the press conference on Friday then!

I like what he has to say in print articles, but he was shocking at the press conference. I hope it was an aberration

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping that he won't have to be doing pressers (of this sort) any time soon! Whilst I know that I run the risk of being accused of wearing the rose coloured glasses, I think the club have handled the "publicity" issue as well as they could have done under the circumstances. I'm thinking that slowly, painfully slowly its true, we are beginning to get it right. The process of change is painful and with our history of resistance to it, the change process is going to take YEARS! But I'm prepared to hang in and back the club.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Clashes don't have to be personalities - there may have been clashes on direction, recruiting, structure..who knows.
not i mate, not i....

markp
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
markp wrote:Good article and interview.

Guess you missed the press conference on Friday then!

I like what he has to say in print articles, but he was shocking at the press conference. I hope it was an aberration
I thought he was fine in the press conference, and that he covered the same points as the above article.

He's obviously no showman, but plays a straight bat and is unpretentious and direct.

Maybe some people wanted an obama like oration or a soap opera/big brother type scandal reveal, but he just presented it ultimately as a business direction decision.

I'd much prefer someone who is focussed, methodical, ruthless, and businesslike than a pt barnum type in that role, especially right now.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:So the Prez maintains silence on the "personalities" issue at the presser, the media scrum would have had a field day if He'd done otherwise. A case of being damned whatever course of action he took. Time to move on.
.anyway don't want the club to be loading the journos shotguns....
It seems some within the club had done that earlier for the journos had already been taking potshots before the interview

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

thejiggingsaint wrote:I wonder how any one of us would cope with it? (having to front up to the media pack) Not making excuses, just seeking reasons why the club have been criticized for the presser on Friday.
IMHO his delivery, whilst neither here not there, wasn't the problem...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen: