Dal's now gone :(

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Re: Dal's now gone :(

joffaboy wrote: Everyone is desperate for a good fullback. Who was on offer that we could have got?

Delaney doesn't have to be a world beater, just about on average with Zac would be fine.

Can structure the defence around him and he can make it difficult for the Riewoldts, and Schultz, and Gumbletons, and Tippett's of the world.

May even make them work for their goals.
Dear god have far have i sunk when I am having to quote JB as the voice of reason...... :oops: :cry:

But you can't argue with common sense - even if some peoples emotional response to Dal's departure has caused them to take leave of their senses temporarily.

Delaney is a substantial improvement on the fullback we have not had for two years !!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

If we can still acquire Delaney and Bruce it will have been a terrific off-season.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
elvis lives
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Part of me is gutted and part is happy after watching him half pace in most of his games, gotta back the club in these decisions
That partly resonates with me too. Kind of felt like he was the Mark Waugh of St Kilda for a while there. Still - of all the kids we drafted in 2001/2, he was the one I loved watching plat the most. All good things come to an end

\

2001 draftees...

ball with the filth
clarke retired after transferring to the lions...never reached half his potential
dal to north
maguire to the lions after a shocking injury
montagna...still a saint.....probably trade him out next year if we don't still trade him this year
houlihan....never got a fair go or a game...delisted
black left to go back to freo
knobel ..to richmond if my memory doesn't fail me

....best draft of all time too......we overlooked judd for ball.....we really are a rabble aren't we,,,,???????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
who would have thought 12 years ago that Ball, Maguire and Dal (and BJ) would all still be playing now but none of them for St Kilda

I am marching in the Saints army
stinger
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:
who would have thought 12 years ago that Ball, Maguire and Dal (and BJ) would all still be playing now but none of them for St Kilda

well...not me..for sure...heartbreaking isn't it....??

disgraceful really......disgraceful... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote: who would have thought 12 years ago that Ball, Maguire and Dal (and BJ) would all still be playing now but none of them for St Kilda
Good point.

But then again who would have thought 12 years ago there'd be a team in Greater Western Sydney, wearing grey and orange and with their first big signing being a Rugby League player.

These are different times indeed 8-)

maverick
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Part of me is gutted and part is happy after watching him half pace in most of his games, gotta back the club in these decisions
That partly resonates with me too. Kind of felt like he was the Mark Waugh of St Kilda for a while there. Still - of all the kids we drafted in 2001/2, he was the one I loved watching plat the most. All good things come to an end

\

2001 draftees...

ball with the filth
clarke retired after transferring to the lions...never reached half his potential
dal to north
montagna...still a saint.....probably trade him out next year if we don't still trade him this year

....best draft of all time too......we overlooked judd for ball.....we really are a rabble aren't we,,,,???????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Take a look at the Hawks 2005 draft, 4 picks inside top 22, including 3 and 6 and come back...are they a rabble...

felix
Club Player

Good luck Dal hope you win a premiership unlike poor Roo who has to stay and suffer or risk being lynched by the mob.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Little Dozer wrote:If we can still acquire Delaney and Bruce it will have been a terrific off-season.
and all worth it - the backs have been lacking grunt for two years now, and those two will deliver it from day one and 5 years +
do the fisher deal and do it now

Seeya
noddy04
Club Player

Who will Burny Jones tag? sooky boy Harvey or soft c ock Dalsanto?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:If we can still acquire Delaney and Bruce it will have been a terrific off-season.
and all worth it - the backs have been lacking grunt for two years now, and those two will deliver it from day one and 5 years +

You do realise delaney has only played 26 games in 5 years and is 24 years of age. Hardly got a record to say he will deliver from day one and for more than 5 years. I think Bruce will be good but im seeing delaney becoming the new whipping boy.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

You do realise delaney has only played 26 games in 5 years and is 24 years of age. Hardly got a record to say he will deliver from day one and for more than 5 years. I think Bruce will be good but im seeing delaney becoming the new whipping boy.

Bulltish, he is the next Silvangi (hopefully Steven not Alex) :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

duckduckduckgoose wrote:Sad to see him go, but better to get a good pick for him now than potentially nothing in 12 months. (The AFL will ditch free agency compo picks any tick of the clock.)

Regardless of the how and why- on balance getting pick 22 for a 30 year old is a pretty damn good deal.
I'd love to hear anyone who reckons they can think of comparable trades?
What did akamanis get traded for and what age?
Also keeping in mind he actually won a brownlow, not just a couple of bronze medals.
I've done my own digging and former brownlow medalist aker as a 30 year old was traded for pick 34.
He went on to play a further 77 games.

Pick 22 and Delaney for a late pick (who cares even if he is a dud- he's free!)

Any reasonable saints fan will put their understandable disappointment aside and realise that we have done very well.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Will come down to compo, band 2-3 and I think its a wise move. Thanks dal but you were cruising this year. Will need to step it up for north to give them value.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

chook23 wrote:Part of footy has died since free agency

prob just me but the modern world of footy is eating away at my passion for the afl

also appears to me we are doing tanking off season style.......afl condoning it

TB would roll in his grave

to much tradition in me.................that is why you stick to one team as a supporter
Gotta say I agree with you chook23.

Players wanted free trade, clubs wanted it, only loyal ones left are the supporters

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

thats just saying something for the sake of saying something - players come into their prime around the mid twenties so yes I would expect 5 years out of him, & i lean towards the positive view that he will flourish given opportunity
besides clubs rarely, & I mean very rarely, draft a player to a club and not play them
zac was a whipping boy

of course none of the above points need to be reiterated - do they?

Seeya
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

Delaney is shithouse

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
sunsaint wrote:

thats just saying something for the sake of saying something - players come into their prime around the mid twenties so yes I would expect 5 years out of him, & i lean towards the positive view that he will flourish given opportunity
besides clubs rarely, & I mean very rarely, draft a player to a club and not play them
zac was a whipping boy

of course none of the above points need to be reiterated - do they?

I dont get your point at all. I could say what you said is just saying something with no foundation. And when did i say he wouldnt play? Surely I can have an opinion that he wont deliver from day and for the next 5 years based on 26 games in 5 years at the moment. I hope i am wrong and he is the best FB in the AFL in a few years time but his record suggests he has a long way to go. Like i said im happy to get bruce but i dont get the rush on 2 FB this year. We have at least 2 to 3 years before they will help our sides actually win games.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Strongly agree !

This year i lost count of the amount of times dal santo had time and space , then kicked the ball straight to the opposition .

In red white and black from 73
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

2001 draftees...

ball with the filth
dal to north

....best draft of all time too......we overlooked judd for ball.....we really are a rabble aren't we,,,,???????????????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:[/quote]

who would have thought 12 years ago that Ball, Maguire and Dal (and BJ) would all still be playing now but none of them for St Kilda[/quote]

.... pretty sure you'll find Guerra was also in and around that mix too. 2 flags and a new rug got Goo; we in turn, lost a ton of our toughness around the contest & kicking precision once he left. Awesome.

Go you red, black & white warriors
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Little Dozer wrote: This will end up being a win for the club. Dal Santo's best football is well past him now. No longer will we have to tolerate him coasting at half pace, drifting in an out of games or being completely nullified by a hard tag.......while the Bummers and Norf will be lamenting having to pay huge chunks of their salary cap's to has-been's.

It started pretty well for one of the has beens. he won the B&F. We will miss Dal. He still gets the ball nearly more than any other player and uses it better than any of our players. We missed BJ as well. We can spin it all we like. it may work for us eventually but it will hurt us now. The pressure is on the recruiters. if they do a good job its a win for us and if they fail the only win will be North.
Yes Dal Santo gets a lot of the ball & uses it well, just what the Saints need :shock: Dal's not a has-been and no way is he soft. Also don't agree that he was cruising.
6th in the B&F this year. Played 22 games. ave 24 disp. at 72% eff. incl 9 cont poss.

So easy to re-write history when a player leaves....

Not happy at all with losing Dal (or McEvoy) Looks like NM majorly win. That's why some supporters become disillusioned

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
happy feet
Club Player

Not happy at all about this. Poor decision. Going to be a bleak next few years.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He was gone in round three.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Loris you have obviously followed footy for a fair while so i cant believe you can think FA is worse that what previously happened. Surely you remember Russell Greene going. he went the night before a game. We had a bloke playing for us who wasnt even in the record. players moved around just as much previously. We have lost many stars and we lost this one not because of FA but because we didnt want to keep him. The contract was there if we wanted him.
Mark Scott?

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Loris you have obviously followed footy for a fair while so i cant believe you can think FA is worse that what previously happened. Surely you remember Russell Greene going. he went the night before a game. We had a bloke playing for us who wasnt even in the record. players moved around just as much previously. We have lost many stars and we lost this one not because of FA but because we didnt want to keep him. The contract was there if we wanted him.
Mark Scott?

Yep. i think we got 2 players. the other started with K I think and ended up being in charge of basketball. Tony king rings a bell.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Good Luck Dal

saintspremiers said "Great move. Much better than the Ball scenario of nothing".

That's true @ least we can anticipate a player as opposed to the absence of any player. I could not fathom why the club couldn't have @ least tried to get a v. young prospect from the 'pies acadamy' @ the time for Ball.

sorry to see Dal go but I u'stand what is needed when it becomes a bit desperate looking into the future.

GO SAINTS! Keep the Eye on the ball! :o

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.