Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Agree or disagree on McEvoy trade

matrix wrote:all clubs pass on a gun
hindsight is fantastic...when its hindsight
l
thanks for the put down.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

wasn't hindsight at all.....plenty on here were pumping for rioli before the draft.....and were watching on line or listening and commenting on here re the draft............and who were extremely disappointed at the time....including me....said it would cost us big time....and it has.......i could not believe we could be that stupid at the time.......

...time has proven me correct..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
slider
Club Player

I didnt agree until i heard the ball was put in Macs court and he liked the idea of a crack at a flag with the Dawks.

Agree

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:I didnt agree until i heard the ball was put in Macs court and he liked the idea of a crack at a flag with the Dawks.
Source?

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

This is great work from the Pelican! McEvoy has good football skills for a big man but is as slow as a wet week and can't win a hit out to save himself.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
saintlee
Club Player

Massive decision by the Saints....not sure who "won" out of this trade....gonna be crucial we use the pick effectively!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Agree, but sad to see a quality bloke go

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evo
Club Player

Trending at =
Agree 50 Disagree 6
Says it all really. :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Simply the Hawks just wanted a serviceable mature ruckman to to take up Bailey's role, and doesn't have to be a star. I never saw Macca as a natural ruckman, and saw him as a weak link, but I wish him well

saintlee
Club Player

Funny reading on Big Footy, most neutrals seem to think Saints have lost their minds on this one! Not sure they're wrong, but a lot of people seem to rate Big Boy more highly than I do

class of 2010
Club Player

disagree

oh when the saints
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

We we coping heaps of rubbish over this though from journo's and twitter and so on...saying it's the worst trade ever so forth?
Was McElvoy Simon Madden or something? Sounds like it now! If it was Collingwood it would be the best trade in the world ever!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Taking a little peek at the Hawks Facebook page and they are pretty happy.

Calling him an elite ruck and top 3 ruckmen in the game. One even said he was "deceptively fast" and blamed his lack of speed last season on a knee injury. I had a bit of a giggle at that one.

Bit of difference in the comments there welcoming Mac and wishing Savage well and our page with people threatening to burn memberships and calling the club "retarted"

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Funny reading on Big Footy, most neutrals seem to think Saints have lost their minds on this one! Not sure they're wrong, but a lot of people seem to rate Big Boy more highly than I do
same at my gym this morning....most thought that the saints were mad...i tend to agree with them....if he's good enough for the premiers ...he was certainly good enough for the 16th team..... :roll: :cry:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Trending at =
Agree 50 Disagree 6
And isn't it interesting that SEN only has had Saints supporters on who are gropable (as Cath Day-Knight would say) Hmmmm

Also Ralph, Bartlell and hartford have been bagging the Saints. Cant get out of default mode, that dont even report that with Savage we got a first round pick, just "the great awesome best Ruckman of all time" Ben McEvoy has been traded for some hack - Saints have made mistakes, are all over the shop, Watters will be sacked by Round 5 blah blah blah blah.

Really, they have hardly got any of their piss weak reports correct. A bloke on an internet forum was WAY ahead of them on the Mc-Savage trade and they carry on like it is the worst trade for us ever.

Muppets

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Funny reading on Big Footy, most neutrals seem to think Saints have lost their minds on this one! Not sure they're wrong, but a lot of people seem to rate Big Boy more highly than I do
Neutral supporters tend to remember highlights. Ben can take a good mark and has kicked a couple of good goals so that's probably what they remember.

I reckon we've done OK here. We needed more early picks, and we desperately needed mid-age midfielders. We got both (assuming Savage is good).

On the other hand, McEvoy had a poor year this year but I think he's a good player. I expect 2014 will be a really strong year for him, maybe topped off with a flag, and we'll look stupid.

So I agree with the trade, but it'll require a long-term outlook to really judge it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Agree 50 Disagree 6
And isn't it interesting that SEN only has had Saints supporters on who are gropable (as Cath Day-Knight would say) Hmmmm

Also Ralph, Bartlell and hartford have been bagging the Saints. Cant get out of default mode, that dont even report that with Savage we got a first round pick, just "the great awesome best Ruckman of all time" Ben McEvoy has been traded for some hack - Saints have made mistakes, are all over the shop, Watters will be sacked by Round 5 blah blah blah blah.

Really, they have hardly got any of their piss weak reports correct. A bloke on an internet forum was WAY ahead of them on the Mc-Savage trade and they carry on like it is the worst trade for us ever.

Muppets

harf was really disappointed to be losing savage who he thought would get opportunity over the next few seasons. Now i guess they are happy because they got a high profile ruck. They are good for another couple of seasons but selling first round DPs is a dangerous game. Lovett anyone.

noddy
Club Player

One gripe. I would've liked Ben to have played just 9 more games with us in case he has any kids who turn out to be champions.

Image In Richo we trust.
AP Erebus
Club Player

Agree.

Sad to see him go as he's always given his all for the club, but he's never really dominated as a tap ruckman.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Disagree. Apart from Steven, the only under 25 with any currency in the market.

Should have been building a team around him.

Sorry Carl, but you build teams (whatever that means) around star players who can impact games like key power forwards etc not a ruckman like Macca.

The other problem with Ben is that he can only really play in one position.
My opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Let's revisit it in 12 months or two years and see what the thinking is then.

Ben, like Luke Ball and Goddard before him, will have been p***ing on us from a great height for quite some time by then.
Never said you weren't entitled to an opinion but he's still not a player you build a team around.

I was shatterd when BJ, Ball, Plugger and even Barry Hall left. I can't say that I'll be going to the footy and saying gee whiz, I really miss Ben. He would have been really good around the ground today.

No disrespect to Ben.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Agree. I think it was obvious from the last quarter against Sydney onwards, that Hickey was our best first ruck option and had a greater impact than Ben. When he was finally fit and in at the bounce Tom's performances were that much better than Ben's. Ben played 2 great games earlier in the year (Richmond and GWS), but has been disappointing since. And Rhys's best form is when forward/2nd ruck.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Agree 50 Disagree 6

Muppets

harf was really disappointed to be losing savage who he thought would get opportunity over the next few seasons. Now i guess they are happy because they got a high profile ruck. They are good for another couple of seasons but selling first round DPs is a dangerous game. Lovett anyone.
Ben is a professional and a quality person. He is a leader as well as being captaincy material. Maybe this is what Carl meant. :D

There is no way you can comapre him to Lovett. Ben will definetley add something to the Hawks in that area.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Agree. I think it was obvious from the last quarter against Sydney onwards, that Hickey was our best first ruck option and had a greater impact than Ben. When he was finally fit and in at the bounce Tom's performances were that much better than Ben's. Ben played 2 great games earlier in the year (Richmond and GWS), but has been disappointing since. And Rhys's best form is when forward/2nd ruck.
ben has since had knee surgery ...so may be something in him being better next year...wait and see i suppose....

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Extremely happy and not disrespectfully to Ben as I think it's a win win for both clubs.
Agree

And yes...keeps the Hawks on side in case we try and deal with them again this week or next year.

Hopefully Rhysy boy can string together at least 10-15 games to support Tom and basically it's Rhys's durability that is in question...not his ruck work

I reckon Stanley will be great for us in the ruck and if anyone has any doubt watch the Round 7 match against Carlton last year where Rhys was 1st ruck because Macca was injured.

doggerel
Club Player

spert wrote:Simply the Hawks just wanted a serviceable mature ruckman to to take up Bailey's role, and doesn't have to be a star. I never saw Macca as a natural ruckman, and saw him as a weak link, but I wish him well
Agree with this. Win/win for both clubs. The correct decision by Saints.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Cannot say it's a good or a bad trade. Wait a couple of years and we will know.

We might get a gun with pick 17 and savage could goto another level.

Time will tell.. But IMO big slow lumbering ruck men like Macca are a thing of the past.