Official Trade Rumours thread (all in here please)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Official Trade Rumours thread (all in here please)

plugger66 wrote: If we were to get pick 4 it has nothing to do with North. It is the AFL who give you that pick and we arent going to get that pick anyway.
Sorry to harp on this, as its fanciful at best, but if we get huge compo it has everything to do with North as they are offering the contract to Dal which the compo will be based.

Geez, if we load up on recycleds this trade period, ones that are not potentially elite like Adams I will spew. Guessing, or hoping, the likes of Faulks are being interviewed as an insurance policy.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote: If we were to get pick 4 it has nothing to do with North. It is the AFL who give you that pick and we arent going to get that pick anyway.
Sorry to harp on this, as its fanciful at best, but if we get huge compo it has everything to do with North as they are offering the contract to Dal which the compo will be based.

Geez, if we load up on recycleds this trade period, ones that are not potentially elite like Adams I will spew. Guessing, or hoping, the likes of Faulks are being interviewed as an insurance policy.

So you are saying North will pay more for Dal if we offer them pick 22 for Delaney. Im not sure any footy club around the world would stuff up a salary cap so they get pick 22. His wage will be pretty much the same as we are offering him. Its his age that will stop us getting pick for not his wage. And I totally agree with your last statement. Of course it is only paper talk but every good young player never has our name mentioned to him but every ordinary one does have our name mentioned.

spot on
Club Player

Just reading that josh mellington from freo wants to come back to melb, I remember an interview with sw just before the freo game and he said he really rated him, so could possible be on our radar

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spot on wrote:Just reading that josh mellington from freo wants to come back to melb, I remember an interview with sw just before the freo game and he said he really rated him, so could possible be on our radar
Small forward who has spent time in WA - I'm in.

Megamaguire
Club Player

noddy said
"Hey guys what about Greenwood? It's mentioned in the North Melbourne section of the same page that we are one of the clubs interested in him.
Greenwood (NM): 24, 52 games, 181cm 85kgs. He's played six games this year and averaged 21.8 disposals. We can trade Dal Santo for a second round pick + Delaney + Greenwood.

Just heard J.Ralph on the kb show suggesting St.Kilda could be betteroff letting NDS go as a free agent and we would get better compensation via the draft. He believed we could get a 1st. Round pick 4 Dal.

Delaney just doesn't sound like he's in the same skill-set universe as Nicky Dal.
Delaney sounds like a preson draft player. Not worth #pick 22 or Dal.
Saints need to draft smart - no point in drafting out of a sense of desperation. Saints have to be better than desperate !!

GO S A I N T S!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

TRADE MONTH OFFICIALLY STARTED !!!

We'll find out the father-son bids today - The North one important to us.

Joey
Club Player

dragit wrote:TRADE MONTH OFFICIALLY STARTED !!!

North will be using pick 8, West Coast bid with their pick 6

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Joey wrote:
dragit wrote:TRADE MONTH OFFICIALLY STARTED !!!

North will be using pick 8, West Coast bid with their pick 6
Bummer… I reckon Pelchen was eyeing that pick off… I certainly don't want to see Dal in a North jumper for a measly pick 30

Megamaguire
Club Player

Dal worth way more than Pk.#30

(A) don't want to see Dal go but...

(B) A first round is more realistic (as J.Ralph suggests ).

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:

So you are saying North will pay more for Dal if we offer them pick 22 for Delaney. Im not sure any footy club around the world would stuff up a salary cap so they get pick 22. His wage will be pretty much the same as we are offering him. Its his age that will stop us getting pick for not his wage. And I totally agree with your last statement. Of course it is only paper talk but every good young player never has our name mentioned to him but every ordinary one does have our name mentioned.
The only way that could possibly happen would be to trade a fringe player to North & agree to cover a significant percentage of that player's wage for 2014/15.

Band 1 Compo (pick 4) I assume would kick in if a player was on a contract of $700K + per year. Dal's reportedly looking at a 600K salary next year.

So a deal like this could get us pick 4-

Pick 39 & Jimmy Gwilt to North for Delaney & pick 27 (cover 75% of Gwilt's wage)

Release Dal Santo to FA with North offering the value of his 2014 salary (600K) plus what St K are contributing towards Gwilt's salary ($200K)- $800K per year for 2014 & 15, dropping to $600K for 2016 should result in a Band 1 compo & presto.... pick 4.

Obviously this is a bit dodgy & based on North being keen on one of our fringe players.

So St Kilda would get;

Pick 4, Delaney & Pick 27

for

Dal, Gwilt & Pick 39 (& $200K pa towards Gwilt's salary)

-------------------
North get

Dal, Gwilt & Pick 39 (& $200K p.a for Gwilt's coin)

for

Delaney & Pick 27 (& $200K for Dal's coin)

North get a great deal & we get an early pick that we crave.

FQF
SS Life Member

I'd be very happy with that. But in terms of likelihood, I would say, less than 5% chance.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

The only way I reckon it will get done now is if North trade for a high enough draft pick to on trade to us for Dal.

We have the power position here. Dal is content to stay where as Delaney can (and doubtlessly will) walk. We finally have a strong position on 2 potential trades. If we get bent over and accept what North wants to give us and let a star of our club leave for less compensation than we want then I will believe the "Saints are in turmoil" rumors

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
dragit
Saintsational Legend

No matter how we try to cut it, the AFL aren't going to give us pick 4… IMO.

Especially considering there are no hard rules to the compo, just another "AFL DETERMINED FORMULA"

We would end up paying for Gwilt at another club, lose a 200 game champion and end up with pick 20-something and a VFL defender.

COMPENSATION

A club that has a net loss of players transferring to/from other clubs as free agents in one transfer period is entitled to compensation via National Draft picks allocated by the AFL.

The compensation formula produces a points rating for players based on:

1. The new contract of the free agent;
2. The age of the free agent.

Draft picks are allocated to clubs based on the net total points for free agents lost and gained during the transfer period.

Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round

In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.

FQF
SS Life Member

Does that mean that the best Hawthorn can get for Buddy is pick 19? Or can they slip it in wherever they see fit?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Draft picks will be allocated to one of five places:

• 1st round
• end of 1st round
• 2nd round
• end of 2nd round
• 3rd round
Either of the second two would be fair for Dal. 1st round = pick 4; that's too high but obviously we'd take it. End of 1st round = pick 20; approximately the best we could expect to get on the open market. 2nd round = pick 23/24; still not a bad number.

So from that point of view I reckon we should let him go under FA. North aren't going to be able to get us a pick better than low 20s now that their first round pick is gone.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Does that mean that the best Hawthorn can get for Buddy is pick 19?
Yes

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Does that mean that the best Hawthorn can get for Buddy is pick 19? Or can they slip it in wherever they see fit?
Mid First Round and one pick below the club's First Round

Surely...

Kickit
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
FQF wrote:Does that mean that the best Hawthorn can get for Buddy is pick 19? Or can they slip it in wherever they see fit?
Mid First Round and one pick below the club's First Round

Surely...
It would seem fair. But then they would be changing the rules to suit Hawthorn.
Unless they want to somehow compensate StKilda for only getting pick 13 for Goddard.
So sorry Hawks can get stuffed they get 19... they could have tanked to get a better pick if they didn't go chasing that stupid premiership. ( Everyone knows securing Buddy is the main aim of this contest ).

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rumour Sydney premiership players linked to a trade with a Melbourne club. (saints & demons)

Pick inside the top 5

Nick Smith involved.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Rumour Sydney premiership players linked to a trade with a Melbourne club. (saints & demons)

Pick inside the top 5

Nick Smith involved.
No deal!

Only an absolute gun for Pick 3 or we use it on Draft day.

Multiple players for a pick are only worth considering further down the order when the picks become a bit speculative.

At 3 we expect to draft a gun, so we should only consider letting it go for a gun.

If Sydney really want to get back in the pointy end of the draft, having picked up Buddy, then they have to offer up a bloody gem.

sainterinsydney
Club Player

Considering Paul Roos is at Melb, I would assume it is the Demons

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Great… so sydney get rid of players that they need to for salary cap purposes and gain pick 2 for their troubles.

It would want to be a quality young midfielder they are giving up.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Could Roos be a plant for Sydney in trade week?

SinCitySainter
Club Player

It is Roosey doing a favor for his beloved Swans.
It will be Nick Smith and two list cloggers (Tommy Walsh maybe) plus a fourth round DP for Pick 2.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

dragit wrote:Rumour Sydney premiership players linked to a trade with a Melbourne club. (saints & demons)

Pick inside the top 5

Nick Smith involved.
Give us Smith and Rohan and MAYBE we can have a discussion