Keep Dal At Saints Campaign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Keep Dal At Saints Campaign

MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Newman wrote:Not happy with these updates .... KEEP DAL. North Melbourne will be the winner - not us.

I reckon that Dal is gone and it seems to me it is our club the most keen to make it happen. Pelchan would want to know what he is doing because losing great players isnt good for build support or sponsorship.
Well there you go, I was hoping he was a chance to stay. Yes it seems like the Saints want to trade him - even though he wants to stay.
Not good IMO. Likely to come back and majorly bite them.........
If we trade Dal, then we trade Joey and Fish and literally blow this operation up.

That would give us probably 5 picks within say the top 40 and that gives us a decent leg up to the future

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I reckon that Dal is gone and it seems to me it is our club the most keen to make it happen. Pelchan would want to know what he is doing because losing great players isnt good for build support or sponsorship.
Well there you go, I was hoping he was a chance to stay. Yes it seems like the Saints want to trade him - even though he wants to stay.
Not good IMO. Likely to come back and majorly bite them.........
If we trade Dal, then we trade Joey and Fish and literally blow this operation up.

That would give us probably 5 picks within say the top 40 and that gives us a decent leg up to the future

And make players like jack and Armo wonder why they are at the club.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

So what does one extra pick in the top 30 do then? Not much really.

Keep them or blow it up.

derby Street
Club Player

Call me old fashioned - if we are going to do this we have to get something really worthwhile. If not - why bother. Surely Nic would be more value to us kept on our list. I have this feeling he is gone - no matter what.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Disclaimer: I haven't read tbhe whole thread, so this may have been covered. My apologise if so.

I've heard that Dal's contract is expensive. $600K+. Can anyone confirm?

If that figure is even close, then I reckon it's way over. Dal in no longer worth that money, and to pay it would fly in the face of all the other work that's been done to even out our player payments.

If that figure is correct, and given where our list is at, Dal should traded out. He is still a very good player, and seems like he could play several more years... ie; he has currency.

It would be a win/win, providing it is handled respectfully by the club.

Dal is one of our great players, and should always be welcomed back... regardless of whether he plays a couple of seasons elsewhere.

Personally, if Dal wants to stay, then my preferred option would be that he remains a one-club champion. But not IMHO if the current contracts commits us to more than $500K.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Disclaimer: I haven't read tbhe whole thread, so this may have been covered. My apologise if so.

I've heard that Dal's contract is expensive. $600K+. Can anyone confirm?

If that figure is even close, then I reckon it's way over. Dal in no longer worth that money, and to pay it would fly in the face of all the other work that's been done to even out our player payments.

If that figure is correct, and given where our list is at, Dal should traded out. He is still a very good player, and seems like he could play several more years... ie; he has currency.

It would be a win/win, providing it is handled respectfully by the club.

Dal is one of our great players, and should always be welcomed back... regardless of whether he plays a couple of seasons elsewhere.

Personally, if Dal wants to stay, then my preferred option would be that he remains a one-club champion. But not IMHO if the current contracts commits us to more than $500K.

The money is correct if you go what the media have been saying. If we dont pay him that money then who do we pay the money to. We need to pay 95% of the salary cap so its better the longer serving guys get it rather than a young kid who doesnt deserve it.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:The money is correct if you go what the media have been saying. If we dont pay him that money then who do we pay the money to. We need to pay 95% of the salary cap so its better the longer serving guys get it rather than a young kid who doesnt deserve it.
Excellent point Pluggs.

I guess it depends on if we could use that free cash to front load contracts for some of our existing guys. (I don't know the contract status of the the dud, but after somehow winning some club award..., manager may be asking for more $$$.)

Or, we could use the money to help pinch a very good player/couple of good players from another club?

That said, if these situations don't come to fruition, then I'm cool with some bonus/thank you payments to some of the older guys. Have to be careful though. What about the blokes who retired recently without receiving such largesse? Also, any such gratuities can't be allowed to adversely affect the all important aim of evening-out the player payments.

Hmmmm, potentially tricky.

Maybe best to distribute any 'spare' salary cap money more evenly across the whole list???

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I want Dal and Montagna to stay.

noob
Club Player

The more days that go by I actually want Dal Santo to stay. Dal Santo has rejected more lucrative offers in the past. Should reward him for his loyalty not distribute to the rest of the players.. we'll end up like Melbourne that way

Greg T
Club Player

On SEN today KB mentioned that dal should stay.
The club has still not decided on Dal , which I think is not treating him with the respect he deserves.
He also mentioned Monty is being chucked on the table as well.
Said it would destroy the fabric of the club.I tend to agree.
Maybe that's what Finey has been on about at the club.
You would think SW would realistically move Heaven and Earth to keep them
Worse move possible for the club,seems there is alot of unhappy campers ATM ..

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
resaintlee
Club Player

To me Dal, Roo and Lenny are sacred and should never be considered for trading.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:On SEN today KB mentioned that dal should stay.
The club has still not decided on Dal , which I think is not treating him with the respect he deserves.
He also mentioned Monty is being chucked on the table as well.
Said it would destroy the fabric of the club.I tend to agree.
Maybe that's what Finey has been on about at the club.
You would think SW would realistically move Heaven and Earth to keep them
Worse move possible for the club,seems there is alot of unhappy campers ATM ..
Seriously??

KB is now an authorative expert on St Kilda's trade news??

Destroy the fabric of the club??

Was St Kilda's fabric destroyed when we moved on Lockett??

Was St Kilda's fabric destroyed when we moved on Winmar??

Was Hawthorn's fabric destroyed when they moved on Brereton?

What about the numerous other champions that have moved clubs - was the fabric of the club they moved from destroyed?

Seriously??

Re: Monty - the article in the Heraldsun which KB probably got his insight from mentions that Monty will be staying if anything - but how did you put it "chucking him on the trade table"

Seriously??

Re: Dal - he has actually come out and said he would be happy to move if it was the best thing for the club in the long run - but now he is being disrespected even though he is currently on holiday in Thailand and most definitely has a firm grip of the situation and understands and knows that more time is needed.

Obviously you don't!!

Your agenda to have SW moved on is blindingly obvious - you have made no secret of it - but you are insulting the forum's intelligence with your ridiculous over reactions thinking they actually might influence someone else

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Not forgetting to mention that you want a loose cannon like Dustin Martin to join the club and you talk about not wanting to destroy the fabric of the club

Seriously??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SuperSaint66
Club Player

Mark wrote:Sorry for my fat fingers...should be KEEP DAL!
I, too, want DAL to stay.

He's been LOYAL to us over many years. Though he could have left for more money, and possibly had a premiership medal, he's remained, and is still one of our best players each week.
I'd like to see St Kilda recognise & reward that loyalty by extending his contract.

He is rarely injured and he doesn't get suspended. ie we can rely on him to play each week.

He has always used his "silky skills " rather than speed, and HE STILL POSSESSES THOSE SKILLS.

I believe he can provide good value to the team for a few years, both as a player and a mentor to our younger, developing players as we edge closer to a spot in the eight.

I await St Kilda's ( & Dal Santo's) decision!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Montagna our best player this year? Didn't Dal Santo finish in the top 6 in the B&F?

If we're so desperate to improve our midfield stocks, why would we get rid of 2 midfielders who have at least 3 good years left in them?

We have pick 3. Surely, we'll get a quality midfielder with that pick. As for key defenders, Bruce shouldn't come at a huge cost. Okay, we need two of them, so get an average one from the WAFL or SANFL for now, and trade for another one next year.

I think the club needs to be patient. It can't all be turned around in this draft and trade period.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The money is correct if you go what the media have been saying. If we dont pay him that money then who do we pay the money to. We need to pay 95% of the salary cap so its better the longer serving guys get it rather than a young kid who doesnt deserve it.
Excellent point Pluggs.

I guess it depends on if we could use that free cash to front load contracts for some of our existing guys. (I don't know the contract status of the the dud, but after somehow winning some club award..., manager may be asking for more $$$.)

Or, we could use the money to help pinch a very good player/couple of good players from another club?

That said, if these situations don't come to fruition, then I'm cool with some bonus/thank you payments to some of the older guys. Have to be careful though. What about the blokes who retired recently without receiving such largesse? Also, any such gratuities can't be allowed to adversely affect the all important aim of evening-out the player payments.

Maybe best to distribute any 'spare' salary cap money more evenly across the whole list???

No front ending IMO. melbourne did that and look where that got them. Also it may seem fair to distribute it more evenly but wht should Maister get more just so Dal gets less. And lets be honest we arent going to lose someone just to keep Dal. I hope the club arent that stupid. Our main problem is our midfield and good ball use. Its seems just about certain we are losing a player who is good at both and I just dont get it. And nearly every player we seem to be after doesnt help the midfield. We can Delaney and Bruce but if the midfield is smashed then they will look like Winbanks and Godsell.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The Australian reports this morning that Dal and his management are meeting with the Bombers next week.

Not sure that they can afford him and keep Crameri, but in any event, surely it is a joke? We couldn't seriously take any of their players with confidence, and how can they give us draft picks?

What possible attraction could it hold for Dal?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 6723118797

Always loyal
Witeout23
Club Player

Dal should stay a Saint. He is a fantastic person who is a great role model and mentor, and still plays great footy.
You cannot put a price on this.
Isn't our motto this year "Strength through Loyalty"? (or does it only work one way)

Keep Dal a Saint.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Witeout23 wrote:Dal should stay a Saint. He is a fantastic person who is a great role model and mentor, and still plays great footy.
Isn't our motto this year "Strength through Loyalty"? (or does it only work one way)

Keep Dal a Saint.

plus a million... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Kickit
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:[quote="Dave McNamara] Excellent point Pluggs.

No front ending IMO. melbourne did that and look where that got them. Also it may seem fair to distribute it more evenly but wht should Maister get more just so Dal gets less. And lets be honest we arent going to lose someone just to keep Dal. I hope the club arent that stupid. Our main problem is our midfield and good ball use. Its seems just about certain we are losing a player who is good at both and I just dont get it. And nearly every player we seem to be after doesnt help the midfield. We can Delaney and Bruce but if the midfield is smashed then they will look like Winbanks and Godsell.[/quote][/quote]

Dal would be on the Vet list as well wouldn't he?
So maybe not much impact on the cap.

SuperSaint66
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Witeout23 wrote:Dal should stay a Saint. He is a fantastic person who is a great role model and mentor, and still plays great footy.

Keep Dal a Saint.

Agree 100%

saintbeth
Club Player

Dal should STAY. Where are we going to get another player who is never injured or suspended and is as reliable as he is? A speculative draft pick? We already have a lot of kids and that is good but they need some more experienced players to guide them or we will end up like Melbourne, not a good look! We should definitely keep Joey as well or as an earlier post said - what midfield??????????????????

Saintbeth
Witeout23
Club Player

Must keep him

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'd keep him - he has leadership qualities that we desperately need

Club needs to get this - learn from Geelong FFS and don't throw champions on the scrap heap

Sure, we didn't win a flag with this lot but let's celebrate the great players we've had

“Yeah….nah””
noob
Club Player

If he were somehow to be part of free agency, we could offer him a high price due to our allowance in the cap. People might say he might not be worth $500k+ but were not in the position to win the premiership. If another club meets the price tag wouldn't we get a band 1 (pick 4) compo?
I could be wrong I don't know the rules.
As other people have mentioned I'd still like him to stay.