Port Power kiddies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yallingup saints
Club Player

Port Power kiddies

I wonder if any of them are for sale?
Would like to see Lobbe in saints colours.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Port Power kiddies

None of them for sale.
They built their own side from the ground up.
No short cuts.
That's what we need to do.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Aint no one getting out of Port. Wines' mum called it Football Heaven a couple of days ago.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

They've certainly got quality...but they're not all kiddies as mentioned in the other OP on Port. hopefully they can produce and get over the top of the arrogant Cats in the last quarter

Con; You also had a nice post back in April this year highlighting the 23-28 year olds required for a team to start 'hitting its sweet spot.'
Con Gorozidis wrote:
And the Power look like they are getting very close to a sweet spot with their list.

25 - 112 - boak
26-154 - monfires
23-102 - ebert
26-114 - carlisle
26-83- Thomas
28-122 - Schulz
27-115 -westhoff
28-104 Logan

(23-50 - harlett
23-71 - gray
23-65 - trengove)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80315&hilit=arrogant

Greg T
Club Player

Again some shocking ump decisions killed port in this last quarter.
Hoping Geelong got flogged.
Just piss poor umpiring .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
doggerel
Club Player

Greg T wrote:Again some shocking ump decisions killed port in this last quarter.
Hoping Geelong got flogged.
Just piss poor umpiring .
amen brother

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I want Jackson Trengove as our FB, owned pods tonight.

Probably not available?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I want Jackson Trengove as our FB, owned pods tonight.

Probably not available?
What do you reckon?

Yeah, actually he is available. Just trade pick 3 and Dal and its a deal lol

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Con; You also had a nice post back in April this year highlighting the 23-28 year olds required for a team to start 'hitting its sweet spot.'
Yep. Port are about in the right place. Unfortunately we're still two full years away from being close to the sweet spot. 2016 is when we'll have a shedload of players between 21 and 28 with 40+ games: Armitage, Geary, McEvoy, Steven, Simpkin, Stanley, Lee, Hickey, Roberton, Ledger, Markworth, Curren, Siposs, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, White, Pierce.

Two more years, at the earliest! Patience has to be our strong suit.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Port have a really nice list developing. Boak and Hartlett are finally getting consistent and trengrove. But the thing that happened to lift them was two outstanding draft picks in Wines and Wingard. We get to guys who hit the ground running like that and we will shoot up. They also got Neade and Colqhoun for nothing- both outstanding talents who will be close to a grade.

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

hmmm, I'm still unconvinced.

Looks very similar to West Coast 2 years ago.

They came from the spoon to top 4, then 5th and their kids looked like millionaires.
Now they look a long way off the pace again and coachless.
No-one's talking up the Eagles youth anymore are they?

"Neade and Colqhoun for nothing- both outstanding talents who will be close to a grade"
Yikes, after not even 1 season each, that is pure speculation, and more unlikely than likely.

"Wines and Wingard. We get to guys who hit the ground running like that and we will shoot up."

Like Daniel Rich or Rhys Palmer for instance? There's another 2 blokes who hit the ground running.

It's not how you start, it's how you end up.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that bump Scollop :lol: :lol: -

I am convinced about Port because West Coast are actually he oldest side on the comp this year.
I know some kids came out - NicNat Shuey Darling - but their 2012 was really on the back of big seasons and 'Indian Summers' from guys like Kerr Embley and Cox. Port arent relying on any veterans at all and seem more even.

Kickit
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:None of them for sale.
No short cuts.
Even when they still challenging they were recruiting for the long term.
Long term investments like Lobbe, Westhoff, and Trengove and now paying off.
Meanwhile StKilda are having to make controversial moves to get players like Lee and Hickey because of our lack of a long term approach. ( and the search for a key back).

We see the same from Geelong. Trent West was recruited 2 years before McEvoy. It was his 3rd season before he got a game, and was only a bit player for 4 seasons after that.
Now that they need someone they have him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:None of them for sale.
No short cuts.
Even when they still challenging they were recruiting for the long term.
Long term investments like Lobbe, Westhoff, and Trengove and now paying off.
Meanwhile StKilda are having to make controversial moves to get players like Lee and Hickey because of our lack of a long term approach. ( and the search for a key back).

We see the same from Geelong. Trent West was recruited 2 years before McEvoy. It was his 3rd season before he got a game, and was only a bit player for 4 seasons after that.
Now that they need someone they have him.
Agree with your sentiment of 'grow your own'
But Geelong have topped up to fill needs plenty of times…
They won 2 flags on the back of trading in Ottens to fill a ruck void,
They brought in a recycled Mooney

Not sure if drafting West is going to become a master stroke though, he's 25 YO, can't break into the seniors even with Simpson & McIntosh out for the year. He'll be looking for a new home this year.
Caddy, McIntosh & Rivers were all brought in this year to little effect so far.

Collingwood minus Jolly/Ball ≠ premiership

Hawthorn minus Gibson, Hale, Gunston, Burgoyne, Guerra, Lake ≠ premiership side

Topping up is okay when it's done at the right stage with the right players, but adding mature fringe players like we have is a recipe for long term list failure.

Let's not forget Port have traded in Ebert, Shulz & Monfries who are a pretty integral part of their side. Also Renouf as a back-up ruckmen.

Kickit
Club Player

Topping up for needs doesn't prevent good drafting at the same time.

But yeah I wonder how far the cats can keep it going. Caddy was the right sort of direction for them. McIntosh and Rivers not so.

They have got way too many injury prone rucks, and if it was me, I'd choose to keep Blicav's, West and Vardy, and maybe rookie list Simpson.
Even though they've been a bit better at it than StKilda they must be coming to the edge of the cliff.

Bartel, Mackie, Hunt, Kelly, Corey, Lonergan, Johnson, Stokes, Rivers, Chapman, Enright and Podsiadly would all be in the firing line if they were at StKilda.

FQF
SS Life Member

Kickit wrote:Topping up for needs doesn't prevent good drafting at the same time.

But yeah I wonder how far the cats can keep it going. Caddy was the right sort of direction for them. McIntosh and Rivers not so.

They have got way too many injury prone rucks, and if it was me, I'd choose to keep Blicav's, West and Vardy, and maybe rookie list Simpson.
Even though they've been a bit better at it than StKilda they must be coming to the edge of the cliff.

Bartel, Mackie, Hunt, Kelly, Corey, Lonergan, Johnson, Stokes, Rivers, Chapman, Enright and Podsiadly would all be in the firing line if they were at StKilda.
It's hard to imagine them falling off the cliff. And so far, they've managed to sustain brilliance of a much longer period than what usually happens in the AFL. Every indication shows that they will - albeit drop down a few spots - remain competitive for a long time yet.

Kickit
Club Player

FQF wrote:
Kickit wrote:Topping up for needs doesn't prevent good drafting at the same time.

It's hard to imagine them falling off the cliff. And so far, they've managed to sustain brilliance of a much longer period than what usually happens in the AFL. Every indication shows that they will - albeit drop down a few spots - remain competitive for a long time yet.
They've managed to avoid the massive trades that blow up in your face.
Ottens was probably the big one, prudently taken in a draft that hindsight would suggest was pretty damn ordinary.
( Richmond got Myer and Pattison with the Ottens trade picks ). Saints got McQualter.

The following year we did the big trade for Watts while they quietly got Varcoe and West.

StKilda have traded a decent draft pick away nearly every year. The Cats simply have not.
Yes they got some very handy F/S picks, but they also drafted reasonably well.

Saints picked up some good players in 2000, 2001, 2002, then buggered up just about every draft for a decade.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Agree with your sentiment of 'grow your own'
Yep, good post. All the sides playing the prelims this week will have a healthy quota of recycled players on their lists, some more than others obviously.

Hawthorn: Burgoyne, Ceglar, Cheney, Gibson, Guerra, Gunston, Hale, Lake, Simpkin, Spangher
Fremantle: Bradley, Dawson, Griffin, McPharlin, Pearce
Geelong: Caddy, McIntosh, Podsiadly, Rivers
Sydney: Everitt, Kennedy, Mattner, McGlynn, Morton, Mumford, Richards, Shaw, Tippett, Walsh

Plenty of important players on those lists. Geelong least so, but there were a few more in the past - Ottens, Mooney, Harley.

It's not a ridiculous strategy to pick up players from other clubs, as long as you don't go overboard and you keep an eye on the demographics of your list.

FQF
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:Agree with your sentiment of 'grow your own'
Yep, good post. All the sides playing the prelims this week will have a healthy quota of recycled players on their lists, some more than others obviously.

Hawthorn: Burgoyne, Ceglar, Cheney, Gibson, Guerra, Gunston, Hale, Lake, Simpkin, Spangher
Fremantle: Bradley, Dawson, Griffin, McPharlin, Pearce
Geelong: Caddy, McIntosh, Podsiadly, Rivers
Sydney: Everitt, Kennedy, Mattner, McGlynn, Morton, Mumford, Richards, Shaw, Tippett, Walsh

Plenty of important players on those lists. Geelong least so, but there were a few more in the past - Ottens, Mooney, Harley.

It's not a ridiculous strategy to pick up players from other clubs, as long as you don't go overboard and you keep an eye on the demographics of your list.
Exactly.

It would simply be negligent list management if the trading avenue was ignored. It's all about balance.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:hmmm, I'm still unconvinced.

Looks very similar to West Coast 2 years ago.

They came from the spoon to top 4, then 5th and their kids looked like millionaires.
Now they look a long way off the pace again and coachless.
No-one's talking up the Eagles youth anymore are they?

"Neade and Colqhoun for nothing- both outstanding talents who will be close to a grade"
Yikes, after not even 1 season each, that is pure speculation, and more unlikely than likely.

"Wines and Wingard. We get to guys who hit the ground running like that and we will shoot up."

Like Daniel Rich or Rhys Palmer for instance? There's another 2 blokes who hit the ground running.

It's not how you start, it's how you end up.

I was going to say the same as Con. The only real a grade veteran is Cornes at Port WCE had an outstanding season from their veterans and apart from Nic nat good contribution from the kids.

Wingard is a potential top 4 players in the AFL type and Wines will be at least a very good player. Selwood, Heppell etc all came on early and kept it up. Cplquhoun was tipped to go between 10 and 20 in the draft and slipped through to their Rookie list- great get he was a gun at the carnival last year. Neade won a rising star nomination and has heaps of x factor. They have a nicer list than WCE. Heaps more x factor.