Dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Dal

noob wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:What is Dal realistically worth?

He's a year older than BJ but similar value.

I'd take pick 18 or better.
Realistically pick 20-35
I remember Watters saying only a first rounder will do. I'd hope for 10-18, or if we got 18-25 then package it up with pick upgrades or a player.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If Nth spent pick 9 and their next pick is 30 I'd think we'd want a player as well

Yes Dal is a year older but as the Nth board says on big footy - he's top 20 AFL disposals running at 72% efficiency with 2-3 years left in the tank (no wonder they were excited) but they'd want to pay handsomely

“Yeah….nah””
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Would be v sad to see him go would want a trade that truly opens windows for the future otherwise no dice. By that I mean something under pick 20 giving 3 picks essentially in the first / v early 2nd round

#1 Ryder fan
Kickit
Club Player

No point for pick 30.
Our future is not hinging on us getting pick 30.

SunburySaint
Club Player

From what I read into what Barrett said is that Dal is a contracted player and will only move if a deal comes along that is for the right club and best deal for the Saints...... Basically, unless we get a top 20 pick from a club in their premiership window, he won't be going anywhere

Now lives in Geelong...
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:No point for pick 30.
Our future is not hinging on us getting pick 30.
Is our future hinging on us keeping a 30 year old?

Richter
SS Life Member

All of North, Carlton, Richmond would be a good fit. All have 1st round picks in the 9-15* range. I'd have thought to snare one of those we'd have to give something back (e.g. #40ish = our 3rd rounder) as I would reckon that at best Dal might be worth around a #20-25 on his own.

Not sure if the likes of North could conjure a #15-20 from somewhere and then aim to on-trade to us for Dal and a swap of 3rd rounders (#40 and #50).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

What about Bruce from GWS and their second round pick at 19 or what ever it is? good for them and good for us as they don't want too many more kids coming in and get some quality while turning over a player that they will need to probably find a home for anyway.

Richter
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:What about Bruce from GWS and their second round pick at 19 or what ever it is? good for them and good for us as they don't want too many more kids coming in and get some quality while turning over a player that they will need to probably find a home for anyway.
Dal won't want to go there so no dice. If North could send GWS something for #19 which they could send to us for Dal then that'd be a go-er. I don't think we'd get anything more than #19 alone for Dal. In fact I think we'd struggle to get that much and might have to sweeten the deal with a swap of say 3rd round picks to seal a deal.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bleeding stupid to trade dal.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
wolfpup
Club Player

stinger wrote:bleeding stupid to trade dal.....

I agree.

Why trade him, we need him during our re-build.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
gringo wrote:What about Bruce from GWS and their second round pick at 19 or what ever it is? good for them and good for us as they don't want too many more kids coming in and get some quality while turning over a player that they will need to probably find a home for anyway.
Dal won't want to go there so no dice. If North could send GWS something for #19 which they could send to us for Dal then that'd be a go-er. I don't think we'd get anything more than #19 alone for Dal. In fact I think we'd struggle to get that much and might have to sweeten the deal with a swap of say 3rd round picks to seal a deal.

Dal would have a few years left, they would hold up the GCSuns development this year and the expectation that guys like Franklin will make them a more formidable line up. i think they have a better list than the GCS by the way. He could be there for their first premiership and probably one of several. SOS is there and might help bring him in to the fold.

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Sound as good as gone...

With Ball and BJ the smoke has meant fire....

What a shame

3 great saints, along with Goose.... Gone to play footy to get success elsewhere

Terry Wallace ..??? Yeah ShortMart..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont care, flog him off anywhere for a 1st rounder and a player we require.

If Carlton, North, Suns or GWS can come up with that, do it.

Thanks Dal, maybe you can learn to break a tag somewhere else.

Looks good off a HBF (like Goddard) with no tag (Goddard at leasat could still have an impact with a tag).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Where do we sign... That would be highway robbery..

asaint
Club Player

Thought he wants to stay...can't stand these rumours.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

asaint wrote:Thought he wants to stay...can't stand these rumours.
What people say in the press isn't always what they're actually thinking. Shocking, I know.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

.....Dal could easily suit up for 100+ more games with us, he's an excellent user of the football and never gets injured, unless a team offers something we can't refuse, no way in hell would I want him gone!!!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not going anywhere

mind you i said that about bj :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Richter wrote:

Dal would have a few years left, they would hold up the GCSuns development this year and the expectation that guys like Franklin will make them a more formidable line up. i think they have a better list than the GCS by the way. He could be there for their first premiership and probably one of several. SOS is there and might help bring him in to the fold.

As Richter dal isnt going to go to a club that in the next 2 years cannot make the 8 so are then at least 2 more years from a flag. Forget them and look at logical options.

Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Dont care, flog him off anywhere for a 1st rounder and a player we require.

If Carlton, North, Suns or GWS can come up with that, do it.

Thanks Dal, maybe you can learn to break a tag somewhere else.

Looks good off a HBF (like Goddard) with no tag (Goddard at leasat could still have an impact with a tag).
Not sure if you're having a lend here jb?

Dal has been a level above Goddard in his career IMO. A genuine inside as well as outside mid, who has 3 AAs (2005, 2009 and 2011) and has finished top 3 in the Brownlow twice (2005, 2011).

Not sure he deserves the level of disdain/disrespect that you're applying here?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dal has been a great saints player but not a Saints great if anyone understands that. This is a pretty simple exercise here. If Dal does want to go and the saints are happy to let him go then the next step is getting a pick deemed fair to us. If the pick is fair and dal is happy to go he then goes no matter how good he has been for our club. if the pick isnt fair but Dal still wants to go then we play hardball because he has a contract. Im sure the best result for both parties will end up happening because of that contract. Im guessing a pick between 15 and 25 seems about right. The only problem we may have is getting to 95% of our cap next year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dal has been a great saints player but not a Saints great if anyone understands that. This is a pretty simple exercise here. If Dal does want to go and the saints are happy to let him go then the next step is getting a pick deemed fair to us. If the pick is fair and dal is happy to go he then goes no matter how good he has been for our club. if the pick isnt fair but Dal still wants to go then we play hardball because he has a contract. Im sure the best result for both parties will end up happening because of that contract. Im guessing a pick between 15 and 25 seems about right. The only problem we may have is getting to 95% of our cap next year.
Agree not a great...yet...could he be playing another 100 odd games?
Dustin Martin could fix our cap gap next year...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

In the last 10 years he's played 234 games - an average of more than 23 per year. I wonder how many other players in the AFL have played 10 years in a row of 22 or more games?

Even Jim Stynes couldn't do that, he missed a few in 93. Adam Goodes, Brad Johnson, Marcus Ashcroft, Andrew McLeod, Scott West - none of the most durable players have ever managed to match the number of games Dal has played in the last decade.

I dunno if we should keep him or not, but he's got an amazingly durable body.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:bleeding stupid to trade dal.....

Surely it depends on the trade?
You cant just say 'bloody stupid' without knowing the terms?
Would you trade him for pick 2? Yes you would. And people would say 'bloody stupid for Melbourne to trade pick 3 for Dal' and wed have pick 2 & 3.
So lets see what the deal is before we call good or bad.
He was awesome 2009-10-11.