A few thoughts after the Richmond game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

A few thoughts after the Richmond game

Had a look at the first half replay of the last game today on Foxtel, and it is pretty ugly to see what we lack as a team. The on ball division, lets say Steven, Armo, Ross, Ray, NDS, Montagna, just let their opponents run away and did little to gut- run to make real contests, NDS tried, but skill alone isn't going to do it. Steven and Armo flash in and out, but go out of the game a bit much as does Ray and Montagna. Ross needs a lot of work on his intensity at the contest- tends to watch rather than initiate. That group have really ordinary defensive games and allowed their opponents to win contests too easy. The whole midfield/ on ball problem just killed our back line, and our forward line barely put up a fight though TDL tried, he needs strong pre season to build up his tank and he will be ok.

Other than that, Stanley just doesn't seem to have a natural football brain and although he is clearly a good athlete, he has no idea how to use his body in contests- might be worth giving Hickey a run, and drop Stanley back to the VFL. Kosi is gone sadly, nowhere near up to the pace of the game

The coaching seemed a bit odd, and it looked like Watters went more defensive in the second quarter where we basically lost the game, also lots of discipline problems such as Stanley and McEvoy flying together for a mark on front of the opposition goal, and neither getting possession and resulting in a costly turnover- a huge no no in anyone's book. Most experienced coaches would have dragged players for that and given them an earful, but Watters seems to just cruise along- I would like to see a little more intensity in the coaches box.

Of course the back line needs more strength, but they were under unnecessary pressure against Richmond. At that stage I turned the TV off

We have to recruit a lot of players and a few mature ones In there too I think.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Re: A few thoughts after the Richmond game

Our midfield has deteriorated into one of the worst in the comp. Agree 100% on our intensity - it has gone missing. No quick fixes in sight for either at the moment.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
sainter27
Club Player

Good post, I agree with a lot you say there. Milera intrigues me, I was really keen on him to be a cracking recruit
last year but he has become what I consider the ultimate 'on the wrong path' footballer. He thinks he doesn't need
to improve enough between seasons and he seems to have a high opinion of his ability. Thus he looks
disinterested and supporters hate it. The next 2 months will determine his future I think.

paddy
Club Player

sainter27 wrote:Good post, I agree with a lot you say there. Milera intrigues me, I was really keen on him to be a cracking recruit
last year but he has become what I consider the ultimate 'on the wrong path' footballer. He thinks he doesn't need
to improve enough between seasons and he seems to have a high opinion of his ability. Thus he looks
disinterested and supporters hate it. The next 2 months will determine his future I think.
think we have a few of these i reckon...

kimberly saint
Club Player

sainter27 wrote:Good post, I agree with a lot you say there. Milera intrigues me, I was really keen on him to be a cracking recruit
where do you get that info on milera (thinks he does not need to improve/ high opinion of him self ) pretty big call unless you now him personally

sainter27
Club Player

Have you consistently seen him play Kimberley? Lets hear you're thoughts?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He looks like a player short of confidence. Ask the captain why his confidence is shot. He is so far from being big headed it's not funny. Why do you think he has a high opinion of his ability? Do you know him?

8856brother wrote:
He looks like a player short of confidence. Ask the captain why his confidence is shot. He is so far from being big headed it's not funny. Why do you think he has a high opinion of his ability? Do you know him?

You cant honestly think a blast from the captain last year would effect his confidence this year. if thats the case get rid of him and he better not play local footy unless he is captain because he will cop it there as well.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The catch-22 is when you only have 2 good clearance players in Steven and Armo then its easy for a good team to focus on them and shut down the engine room. Dal doesn't haven't the inside players to get the ball to him anymore. Montagna doesn't seem to have the same pace anymore to be the deadly winger he used to be. Farren Ray I never rated as a quality player, just not tough enough. Can take a good mark but that's about it. Stanley is being experimented with and I'm ok with this - it will help his development in the long run. Kosi was a bit sad but he's taken huge hits and is paying the price now. McEvoy had a bandaged head so he took another hit but we have Hickey developing as well - also Stanley in the mix re ruck so good options and competition)

As we will be in development mode for a least 2-3 years I think Watters will experiment quite a bit re structures, forward tactics, player positions, coaching moves, talls v smalls, game style etc . It probably confuses the players a bit at the moment but will pay off in the long run. And credit to Tigers - they really turned up the pressure in the 2nd quarter and were very intense for the rest of the game.

kimberly saint
Club Player

sainter27 wrote:Have you consistently seen him play Kimberley? Lets hear you're thoughts?
only sen him on tv mate by no means think i am a expert, i simply asked you do you now him to make such big call about him personally