Anyone who still thinks Watters ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Anyone who still thinks Watters ...

Anyone who still thinks Watters .& his assistants can coach is a fool !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Anyone who still thinks Watters ...

Oh pray tell almighty sage what would you have done?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Is Watters that bad a coach, or is our list just that s**t?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Anyone who still thinks Watters .& his assistants can coach is a fool !

I'm still undecided on this.

What annoys me is that people believe he is the developer of lists based on absolutely nothing but having a young list to begin with.

He may be a good list developer or he may not. We won't be able to tell for a while.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Yet too see anything that suggests Watters is a good coach. Lucky for him he has the opportunity to build an entire new side over the next 3 years.

At the moment he's dealing with dribs and drabs from the Lyon era's recruiting and ageing stars,and former stars who just don't put in anymore (NDS)

Bring back the Lockett era
Buckets
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Anyone who still thinks Watters .& his assistants can coach is a fool !

I'm still undecided on this.

What annoys me is that people believe he is the developer of lists based on absolutely nothing but having a young list to begin with.

He may be a good list developer or he may not. We won't be able to tell for a while.

Some on here don't even want to give him the time...they want him gone this year...yep lets just fall back to mediocrity and a laughing stock of a club.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
battye
Saintsational Legend

We're a team on the decline unfortunately. It started in earnest when we lost to Port Adelaide last year, but only now when we're losing games to Gold Coast and a poor Bulldogs outfit are people starting to wake up to it.

Watters hasn't done anything to convince me he'll be the next man to take St Kilda to the finals, but his job right now is to develop the next core group not to make us premiership contenders this year. This year is a write off quite frankly, the best we can hope for is that Siposs, Saad and a few other players take their game to the next level.

If St Kilda don't perform better in 2014 than 2013, then Watters will be shown the door. I think people can accept this year (and last) as rebuilding years but if there's no sign of improvement next year then he's not doing well enough.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Geary was playing well as a mid tagger why not leave him there? Jones should not played his time has passed he must of cost at least 4 goals with turnovers & 50 's.

Gwilt was ordinary down back on the smalls - put him on a talls and release Fisher thru the midfield.
McEvoy another pathetic performance.
Our midfielders and clearance work is diabolical!

Watters is a dud - send the f....er back to WA !
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sat 25 May 2013 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Is Watters that bad a coach, or is our list just that s**t?
Both

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

He is a young coach but the fact he seems to get out coached week in week out is a real concern. Especially tonight by a totally inept toolbag in Mccartney

The selection of a no hoper like Jones and a statue like Maister prove someone knows SFA on the staff.

I reserve judgment until he has at least enough time to build his own squad and find his feet as a coach

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Greg T
Club Player

Surely our list aged or not , is better than the Bulldogs.
Midfield of NDS,Joey,Lenny,Steven is experienced.
Laidley couldn't coach us out of a brown paper bag .
SW ain't much better,
Real trashy stuff

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:Is Watters that bad a coach, or is our list just that s**t?
Both
Still think its hatrd to tell on Watters, he is a young coach that has inherited a shyte list accept for a few ageing stars. I have a feeling that he won't last beyond the end of next season unless we see improvement which I don't think we will. He is in a tough spot and can't win really

I love this club
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Oh pray tell almighty sage what would you have done?
Well for one, in the dying minutes with the game still live call for stretcher rather than concede by playing out the game with only 17.

However our midfield was the poorest I can recall. Could nit clear the ball from a ruck contest all night. Terrible effort.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
deadman walking
Club Player

waterboy has to go

Kernal75
Club Player

Get a grip people, who honestly thinks we are any good this year? We're a year into what is going to be a 5 year rebuild and were already trying to sack the coach. What's the alternative, another untried coach? How about we as supporters stop deluding ourselves and accept facts and give Watters enough time to see whether he's any good!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Get a grip people, who honestly thinks we are any good this year? We're a year into what is going to be a 5 year rebuild and were already trying to sack the coach. What's the alternative, another untried coach? How about we as supporters stop deluding ourselves and accept facts and give Watters enough time to see whether he's any good!

Agree

My concern with him this year is he's not getting the team up for games !
So far this year the carlton game is the only one where the team has looked hard at it !

In red white and black from 73
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We were always going to crash and burn when our core dropped away. We recruited like idiots from 2003-2010 and never put much time or effort into developing the few kids we did draft. I never expected Watters to keep us in the finals. But a few things really concern me

- Continued horrible selection. Persisting with hacks who clearly aren't up to it and never will be in favour of kids who are tearing it up in the VFL. Regularly gets matchups and team balance wrong as well

- His WA bias. Roberton is a gun and I'm glad we got him, but nothing else Watters brought over from WA has been up to scratch. Maister not up to it, TDL a wasted spot on the list, assistants don't seem to be doing much good.

- His tendency to say the PR-friendly lines. He blatantly lies in the media and is an excellent salesman. It's hard to tell when you're hearing what he really thinks

- Lack of effort and intensity from the players. They aren't playing for him and they aren't buying into the game plan

- The physical condition of the list. The players are weak, thin and unfit compared to every other list in the AFL. The training and strength and conditioning regime obviously isn't up to scratch

I hope with all my heart that we make the finals in a couple of years and Watters leads us to consecutive premierships...but I'm starting to think he might be that classic 'transition' coach who takes over when the big dog leaves and before the next one arrives.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is doing a good job with what he has. He placates the sponsors and keeps us competitive looking with out winning. I wish we had some of the dogs kids they have recruited really well. Will be up long before us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Happy with Watters coaching of the younger group and happy with most of the team selections, but the game plan worries me. I'm still undecided because most of the current team is the legacy of poor drafting and development over the last 10 years, and maybe pelican and scotty have read some of Con's earlier posts on Saints doing the tank ;)

As far as our current drafting...Undecided as well...Maister was a strange one because of the age of the list. I truly thought he was picked to replace Dawson, but it seems that everyone was convinced after a few games in defense that he was a sh1t defender - with Siposs in the team and with Lee and other forwards coming in I don't see where he fits in for say 3 years time from now. TDL also very strange when you consider that the existing smalls. Tom Lee also worries me.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Kernal75 wrote:Get a grip people, who honestly thinks we are any good this year? We're a year into what is going to be a 5 year rebuild and were already trying to sack the coach. What's the alternative, another untried coach? How about we as supporters stop deluding ourselves and accept facts and give Watters enough time to see whether he's any good!
He has had enough time and has consistently proven he can't coach at this level !

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote:
He has had enough time and has consistently proven he can't coach at this level !
A season & a half with an average list at best?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
defacto
Club Player

pathetic post

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

WinnersOnly wrote: He has had enough time and has consistently proven he can't coach at this level !
I agree.

From now on we should sack the coach every year we don't make the finals.
If that doesn't work, sack the coach after every loss.
Or if we lose the coin toss.

That'll fix everything.

southernsaint
Club Player

Looks like im a fool then if you are right. I just love him. And your just wrong

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Two weeks ago he out coached Mick Malthouse.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.