Saints Linked To James Frawley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Linked To James Frawley

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6647937604

GOLD Coast has joined a long list of clubs trying to lure Melbourne key defender James Frawley.

The Suns made an unofficial inquiry about Frawley in the lead-up to their win against the Demons last Sunday week.

The 24-year-old has also been linked to Greater Western Sydney and St Kilda, where his uncle, Danny, played 240 games.

Would be a great get, exactly what we need.

Interestingly, another article today states that West Coast are going hard after Harry Taylor as they expect Mitch Brown to return to Victoria at season's end.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Linked To James Frawley

linked*

*by someone on the internet

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Both Frawley and Brown were linked to us last year but never came to us, so I will believe it when and Iif it happens, but wood be a big get for us

I love this club
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Frawley would be a great get. Brown is completely unproven and may turn out a GOP or less. And the only place Harry Taylor is going apart from Geelong is West Coast or Freo as in today's Age Taylor talks about the pull of family in the west for his wife.
Link here :

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... 2jz59.html

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Brown FB, Frawley CHB? Will that work/ Is Frawley mobile enough? Probably pie in the sky. Frawley would be a huge get.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No to Brown - GOP

Yes to Frawley EXACTLY what we need

Something like:

Watts/Frawley to Saints

Ray/Laidley to Dees (should just about finish them off)

Win-Win !

“Yeah….nah””
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Love it!

PADDLEPOP1000
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Pluggers head will explode he hates anyone thinking he might come. Brown can piss off if we get Frawley. He can play on the bigger forwards despite his size. Brown is a back up to me rather than the preferred option.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Please let it be Frawley and not Brown. Please! Please! Please! Please! Please! Please!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Pluggers head will explode he hates anyone thinking he might come. Brown can piss off if we get Frawley. He can play on the bigger forwards despite his size. Brown is a back up to me rather than the preferred option.

I want Frawley but just because we said we were a chance last year didnt make us a chance. As for next year can you give me any logical reason why Frawley would leave a club that is going no good to come to a club that hasnt even bottomed out yet? And it wont be money because Melbourne could afford anything we offer. If he leaves it will be to a club with a chance to make the finals and continue to improve.

By the way the last contracted player we went for, we offerred a stupid amount and still didnt get him thank goodness. I reckon brown would be like TDL but in the backline.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

What's Frawley's worth in terms of picks and/or player(s)? Id say pick 10-15 based off his form of the last few years. His value has probably gone down a little but being a KPP is his prime years his value holds up. Multiple teams chasing him will also play a part in determining his value, as will the fact he is still contracted. A few things to consider.

Looking at our draft order I'm not sure we have the picks to satisfy the Dees and without ripping ourselves off. The best we could offer would be our second rounder (early to mid 20's selection) and a fringe player like Ray (who would be worth a pick around 40-50 IMO). GWS and GC will have much better offers like a young player who was a top 15 pick who cannot get a game and an early second rounder. GWS have a mid round compo selection (pick 10-12) up their sleeve which they would throw the Dees way for Frawley, IMO. The only hope we have is if Frawley does a Luke Ball and nominates us, and only us and says if he isn't traded then he walks the following year as a FA (FA compo will likely be gone by then).

Brown may come relatively cheap seeing as though he's not contracted and he's not getting a game with WC. He may walk and we put a price on his head and pick him up for zilch in the PSD. I see that as a likely scenario. WC will probably try and deal exclusively with Geel and try and do a Brown + pick for Taylor.

Megamaguire
Club Player

There is a lot of love 4 Frawley.

Watters has every chance of getting Frawley to gel with the current defensive set-up and be a significant cog in a successful backline.
In many ways it would be an easier switch to St.Kilda than to the northern states.
Well if he wanted to come to St.Kilda and St. Kilda wanted him it could well be a perfect match.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Pluggers head will explode he hates anyone thinking he might come. Brown can piss off if we get Frawley. He can play on the bigger forwards despite his size. Brown is a back up to me rather than the preferred option.

I want Frawley but just because we said we were a chance last year didnt make us a chance. As for next year can you give me any logical reason why Frawley would leave a club that is going no good to come to a club that hasnt even bottomed out yet? And it wont be money because Melbourne could afford anything we offer. If he leaves it will be to a club with a chance to make the finals and continue to improve.

By the way the last contracted player we went for, we offerred a stupid amount and still didnt get him thank goodness. I reckon brown would be like TDL but in the backline.

He expressed interest in coming and his family connection would make him as likely to come here as anywhere else. He would struggle to fit in most caps that are already on the rise. Watters offers a pretty solid vision and a plan which the Dees don't really look like offering right now.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He expressed interest in coming and his family connection would make him as likely to come here as anywhere else. He would struggle to fit in most caps that are already on the rise. Watters offers a pretty solid vision and a plan which the Dees don't really look like offering right now.

His family connection would have nothing to do with wanting to come to us. And when did he express interest. before he was drafted. Well BJ wanted to play with Carlton and Im sure most players dont want to play where they end up but they do and most then stay. Tell me apart from some crappy family connection why he would leave a bottom club to come to a club that nearly all people think hasnt bottomed out yet.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Megamaguire wrote:There is a lot of love 4 Frawley.

Watters has every chance of getting Frawley to gel with the current defensive set-up and be a significant cog in a successful backline.
In many ways it would be an easier switch to St.Kilda than to the northern states.
Well if he wanted to come to St.Kilda and St. Kilda wanted him it could well be a perfect match.

G O S A I N T S !
Agree, I would love to see Frawley at StKFC, he's the perfect fit.
At 24 years of age, (20.9.88) he's got plenty of footy ahead of him, at 193cms and 94 kgs is big enough to fill our FB position.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

His family connection would have nothing to do with wanting to come to us. And when did he express interest. before he was drafted. Well BJ wanted to play with Carlton and Im sure most players dont want to play where they end up but they do and most then stay. Tell me apart from some crappy family connection why he would leave a bottom club to come to a club that nearly all people think hasnt bottomed out yet.

I showed you last time the article that had suggested he approached his manager trying to get a trade out of their and saying he was sick of losing. You have less idea than the journo who may or may not be right. If he is offered a very attractive salary and it comes down to weighing up options it might just decide the deal for him.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

GCS can have frawley if we can have Rory Thompson

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I showed you last time the article that had suggested he approached his manager trying to get a trade out of their and saying he was sick of losing. You have less idea than the journo who may or may not be right. If he is offered a very attractive salary and it comes down to weighing up options it might just decide the deal for him.

You didnt show me any article that said he may come to us. And if he is sick of losing how would coming to us help. Thanks for backing me up when I said i dont think we are a chance. By the way that makes it 71.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Given they have a glut of youngsters, Gold Coast may be prepared to offer their first pick in a straight swap - which is going to be a very similar pick to ours ie around pick 5. I don't know if we would be prepared to offer our first pick in a straight swap.

From his point of view, he then compares us against a young team chock full of talent that everyone expects is only a couple of years away from finals vs the Saints who are a much bigger unknown.

Would be a good get but we are going to have to pay a hefty price to get him.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
its not even mid season so any talk of trades is still very premature ... but you ask a good question right there Pluggs .. why would Frawley choose us ??
from the teams listed as interested in him GWS GC STK and obviously Melb who you would think would be keen to keep him. what team would offer him more -

Money - well you would think all four clubs have the ability to offer similar contracts to him so we would have to call that a draw for all clubs

Location - now i have no idea about Frawleys home situation but i thinkit would be fair to say the lure of staying in Victoria where he grew up and has lived his whole life may come in as a factor - win to Dees and us

Opportunity - given where all four clubs are neither are likely to be compeating for a flag in the next 3 years the closest to it is prob GC provided they dont get raided in the next few years when they have the fight to resign all their young kids , the Dee's have shown to be going at a very slow pace for their rise up the ladder and seem to be a case of one step forward two steps back , GWS i personally feel are going to be in some strife soon at the moment the AFL prop them up but take away that and they have no members and are struggleing to capture the hearts of their area's fans this plus the constant floggings is bound to have an effect soon , for us we are in rebuild mode but have shown that we have in recent history refreshed the list and made consistant finals from that refresh ... your would have to say GC are the leaders in that catagory but we are a close second

from those three factors in my eyes i see it as if he is happy he will stay with the Dee's there is little reason for him to jump ship if he is happy ... if he isnt happy i see us as the best option because we are in Melbourne and we can potentially bounce out of rebuild very strongly ... Gold Coast offers a lot as well but with it meaning a move interstate it prob pushes them below us ... GWS i think would have to be throwing obscene overs to him in salary to be a serious threat ...

from a trade point of view if he was to say he wanted out to the Dees -then GC and GWS would prob trump us with a trade

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Frawley = GOP

He's a decent one though.

Just dont pay overs. 2nd rounder plus fringe, like Beau.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I showed you last time the article that had suggested he approached his manager trying to get a trade out of their and saying he was sick of losing. You have less idea than the journo who may or may not be right. If he is offered a very attractive salary and it comes down to weighing up options it might just decide the deal for him.[/quote]

You didnt show me any article that said he may come to us. And if he is sick of losing how would coming to us help. Thanks for backing me up when I said i dont think we are a chance. By the way that makes it 71.[/quote]

Most of the guys I have said we should look at didn't come to us have gone ok so far. Sam Colquhoun is at Port Adelaide and going ok despite not getting drafted in the national draft. Jake Stringer is going to be a gun. Called Roberton first and he's alright. At least I offer an opinion not a "we are so s*** we have no attraction to anyone and the shitness hasn't even hit it's deepest yet" -keep talking us down and you will eventually be right. I will keep talking us up and I will have my time too.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Whilst it's fine for us to offer opinions/argue about this the harsh reality is that we have highly skilled, highly paid people at the club to look after these matters. Whether we're chasing James Frawley, Mitch Brown, another Key Back from another club or a Draftee, we need to sit back and let the experts do their jobs.

Yes, we want & need a Key Defender or 2 (Scott Watters has said this publicly), but who we are looking at and who we might get would be anyone's guess at this point in time. One thing I am almost certain of is that if Pelchen, Bains, Watters etc have been talking to the Managers of any of these guys (remember, we aren't supposed to talk to players who are contracted) they would be keeping VERY QUIET on it !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

spert
Saintsational Legend

Bugger Frawley, we need midfielders and forwards

kimberly saint
Club Player

spert wrote:Bugger Frawley, we need midfielders and forwards

i tend to agree, but if frawley was on offer and you had a chance you would take him. I think mids should be number one other wise, would we give up pick say 5 a potential gun mid, for a older seasoned fullback ?????