Milne, Saad or Milera

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Milne, Saad or Milera

3 isnt working and will probably never work. People have said Milney goes because of age but Saad and Milera arent young and arent improving. Maybe we get rid of both of them this week and look at other options. When Milne does retire Im not expecting anything much from either of those 2. If Michington wasnt injured he may have been worth a look at. Start Siposs forward with Milne ad bring in Curren. Got to look at him otherwise he may as well walk now.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne, Saad or Milera

Time for plan B. Hope we have one.
Last edited by 8856brother on Sun 19 May 2013 9:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

Not sure Saad has been any worse than Milne.
Milera clearly worst of all at the moment.

noob
Club Player

None of them can play Midfield. Steven could probably go up another level if was able to rest in the forward line instead of heading the bench if we had guys that could rotate to the midfield.

Forget about Minchington we've still got the superstar Trent Dennis-Lane to come into the forward line as well! :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Milera and Saad have a fundamental flaw in their game. When the ball is in dispute they try to do the flashy things like tapping the ball up into the air either to try and grab it above a player or to try and get a second tap at it to get it over a players head so they can run onto the cheapy. I think their first instinct should be to bring the ball to the ground and scrap for the ball at ground level. Tapping it up into the air is a low percentage shot and they just seem to do it too often.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Dennis-Lane.

Na Joking, none of them please. Play Ross forward, or Curren, or Murdoch, or Saunders. Guys who have upside

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I reckon Milera and Saad have a fundamental flaw in their game. When the ball is in dispute they try to do the flashy things like tapping the ball up into the air either to try and grab it above a player or to try and get a second tap at it to get it over a players head so they can run onto the cheapy. I think their first instinct should be to bring the ball to the ground and scrap for the ball at ground level. Tapping it up into the air is a low percentage shot and they just seem to do it too often.
So spot on

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Saad gets off lightly, had a rubbish year

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Saad gets off lightly, had a rubbish year
Can you invoke the second year blues card?

70s sainter
Club Player

Is it time to play a mid/ small forward instead of a small forward/ nothing .
I'm not sure. Milera and saad have been just average all year. Maybe they don't function prop until we have 2-3 tall forwards working well first.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:Is it time to play a mid/ small forward instead of a small forward/ nothing .
I'm not sure. Milera and saad have been just average all year. Maybe they don't function prop until we have 2-3 tall forwards working well first.
Yeah but you could argue that if we played a midfielder up there the situation would be the same

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Saad has been ordinary, but still better than Milney unfortunately.

Plenty of upside in saad considering that he's not even halfway to 50 games.

The 'small forward' role is practically dead and we have been trying 3 & 4 at a time. Schnieder has best ability to to play elsewhere it seems with absolute elite ball usage decision making... Milne, saad, TDL & Milera are all goal sneaks really, barely room for one of those in a side that is struggling.

I'd be going with saad for now, has kicked long range goals, tackling is 4X that of the others... If* we play a small fwd I would be going with him. Milney has 5 tackles for the year , nothing to be gained by waiting for him to comeback into form now.

Ledger, Murdoch, saunders, Curren, Shenton, Dunnel, lee all worthy of persistence or trialling.
Last edited by dragit on Sun 19 May 2013 9:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We really need some of our midfielders to rotate through the forward line and force one of these guys out. Dal, Joey, Armo & Jack have all been goal kickers at some stage. The problem is that we will be robbing Peter to pay Paul !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

He's not really a "small", and he's not even on the senior list, but Shenton's the one I would like to see in there.

Pace, goal sense and a bit of toughness.

Maybe we need to make this happen.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Curren.... At least he tackles

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Dennis-Lane.
This year's version of Sean Charles and Freddie Campbell. What a brilliant piece of drafting that was!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Curren.... At least he tackles
Exactly, enough tackles and the goals will come, Curren kicks a few, how does the shentster Ho for tackling?

saintjake
Club Player

Just two tackles between the three is horrible

Buckets
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:He's not really a "small", and he's not even on the senior list, but Shenton's the one I would like to see in there.

Amazing to think a few on here early on in the piece questioned why we rookies him. Bring him in I say!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Griggsy
SS Life Member

I think 3 only works if they have a lot of run, much like the blues boys. Havn't seen anything like that yet. Curious to see what happens if/when schnieder returns.

Spud02
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:He's not really a "small", and he's not even on the senior list, but Shenton's the one I would like to see in there.

Good game for Sandy by all reports, maybe this is the week? If so, at the expense of Terry I'd imagine

spert
Saintsational Legend

Milne, Saad, Milera= no defensive game at all, so the result is the opposition clears the ball easily. Out of the six forward line positions, only one player is playing to a reasonably consistent level- Roo, the rest are not up to it this season. A one-man forward line can't win games, and the Adelaide backline just showed up the weakness we have in this area...can't see any reason to play Saad, Milne and Milera, and we might as well play three young guys from Sandy..couldn't do any worse than the bugger-all effort we are getting at the moment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

If you aint kicking goals defensive pressure and locking the ball into fwd 50 ought to be non negotiable. Said it a housand times, we cant continue carrying players who offer nothing defensively and who only play 1 position.

Make no mistake - 1 of these will bob up against lowly Dogs next week and kick a few.........many will be seduced by this......its papering overing massive cracks.

Play a young kid/mid fwd, keep Saad (only 1 who tackles) and spell Milera/Milne. FWIW at this stage of his career Id be calling curtains on Milne interstate again - has rarely done a thing interstate.

Time to get serious about the "refresh" cany carry 3 small fwds who dont bring pressure.

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

We've a few that would be worth a go in place of one or more of these three...

- Shenton, who is 22, seems to have a mature body and rapidly improving this year. Play him as a winger/half forward
- Dunell, who is 23 and played some good footy as a marking forward for Sandy last year
- Minchington, only 19 though and may need another year of experience in the VFL
- Curren, 20, racking up the numbers at Sandy... we're short an inside mid with Lenny out and CJ dropped... then rotate Dal more through half forward
- Murdoch, Saunders
- Siposs
- Markworth, obviously injured but let's hope he comes back firing next year

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We can't affort 3 small forwards who lack defensive skills and cannot rotate through the midfield.

We would be better off loading up with young midfielders and resting them up forward.