Milne - Where's he at?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milne - Where's he at?

Hi folks

Just wanted to get the ball rolling on Milne.

It's round 8 and to me he's lost a yard and struggling - had Riewoldt not given him a goal last night things would look even worse.

Shame he's not developed his decision making over the years as he brings much good work undone with complete brain fades that appear to be occurring more frequently - you can cover these when he's weekly kicking multiple goals and putting on enormous defensive pressure but let's be frank.... he hasn't done that this year.

Anyway,keen to hear OTHERS opinion. If you don't have one or would prefer just comment on the thread itself my advice is simply eff-off!

Will Milne play on in 14? for the good of our future team should he??

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne - Where's he at?

He is going fair at best at the moment. he is important to our structure and he has been a champ of the club so he has credits. How long they last will be decided by form in the next 4 or 5 games. And im not ready to call his career over yet.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He is going fair at best at the moment. he is important to our structure and he has been a champ of the club so he has credits. How long they last will be decided by form in the next 4 or 5 games. And im not ready to call his career over yet.
Now there is an opinion! So let me ask you this, IF he continues in the same vein for the next 4-5 then are you suggesting his career could be over??

Be mindful of the later bump...

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I think he's done…

Even if his form improves, he's had a third of a season down already, 5 tackles in 6 games, 34 next year.

Can't possibly see what good would come of him being in the side next year considering where our list is at.

Surely he would want to retire on some reasonable form anyway? Be spared a year play in & out of sandy… which he must be close to already.

All good things must come to an end.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

This thread should be called "where is Stephen Milne"

:)

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

From another thread, but somewhat relevant, IMHO.
how do you think the team feels when they work really hard to get the ball into a forwards hands at the 50 metre mark, then instead of looking for a pass or having a shot, the player then attempts to baulk around 2 players on the mark and then turns the ball over?
Agreed, but you have to weigh that up against the goals he scores that are in the "impossible" class.

Nobody would feel worse than him about that c**k-up, but taking the unexpected out of his game would reduce his goal-scoring by half.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Clearly, he is nearing the end of his time and we have some good up-and-comers in train.

He has been average at best, but but played better last night (except for the brain fade). He needs to perform to continue, but as Plugger said, he has credits, so let's see how he goes over the next 4 weeks -up to the Bye. If he is not good enough to hold his place (per Kosi), then it's time to make way for others.

It's definitely over for him at the end of this year - go out on a good note.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He is going fair at best at the moment. he is important to our structure and he has been a champ of the club so he has credits. How long they last will be decided by form in the next 4 or 5 games. And im not ready to call his career over yet.
Now there is an opinion! So let me ask you this, IF he continues in the same vein for the next 4-5 then are you suggesting his career could be over??

Be mindful of the later bump...

Hope you bump it. I dont mind being wrong. If he continues like he has for 4 or 5 weeks then he will still get a game but you would think he will realise its his last year.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

he is going ok ... honestly Milney has the runs on the board , it’s almost like he is just a game away from busting a game open ... as a small forward he has to be opportunistic that means some times its feast some times its famine at the moment its famine (and honestly all the small forwards in the team are struggling) the thing with Milne is even when he’s having an off game the opp have to be mindful of him at all times cause in a matter of min's he can become super dangerous (the same can’t be said for Saad TDL or Milera) ..... does he continue in 2014 if the form stays as it is then prob not if it improve then again you got to think prob not but that being said I reckon Milne will want to play until he was 40 if he could

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The lack of respect in this d**khead thread makes me sick
How dare anyone question a certain champ

I'm embarrassed

(Just want to get all cliched responses out of the way so this this worthy thread can continue)

“Yeah….nah””
Trixilver
Club Player

He played well last night. Layed a few critical tackles that resulted in goals and nabbed 2 himself. He started last year much worse. It seems like every year we see one of these threads, followed a few months later by one lauding him as a champion and one of the best small forwards the game has ever seen. Relax.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What's tricky with Milne is that IMO over the years he has brought this unclassifiable quality to the club...
Call it teamsmenship, great clubman, spirit whatever.

When debutants kick goals, he is always the first to congratulate them, when a saints player gets hit, he is always the one to remonstrate first. He fires the team up etc He is the greatest creation of GT's "it's a privledge to play for the saints" attitude that he tried to deveop in his early years.
Players like Milne and my buddy Jones have consistently demonstrated over the years that they bring this other quality to the team that makes all walk a bit taller.

For Milne, the issue is that his impact on games is well down and there are others to take his place. It's really hard to justify playing him ahead of both Milera and Saad unless they are playing extremely poorly. Given that we have schnieds to come in as well... Thats a lot of forwards so it may well be Dunnel or Ledger etc that miss out.

I think i would play him intermittently throughout the season based on form and then ensure he plays the last 5 games to ensure a proper send off

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:What's tricky with Milne is that IMO over the years he has brought this unclassifiable quality to the club...

When debutants kick goals, he is always the first to congratulate them, when a saints player gets hit, he is always the one to remonstrate first. He fires the team up etc He is the greatest creation of GT's "it's a privledge to play for the saints" attitude that he tried to deveop in his early years.
Players like Milne and my buddy Jones have consistently demonstrated over the years that they bring this other quality to the team that makes all walk a bit taller.

For Milne, the issue is that his impact on games is well down and there are others to take his place. It's really hard to justify playing him ahead of both Milera and Saad unless they are playing extremely poorly. Given that we have schnieds to come in as well... Thats a lot of forwards so it may well be Dunnel or Ledger etc that miss out.

I think i would play him intermittently throughout the season based on form and then ensure he plays the last 5 games to ensure a proper send off

Very good description.

i agree, and hope he gets the send off he thoroughly deserves.

Doctor Two
Club Player

skeptic wrote:What's tricky with Milne is that IMO over the years he has brought this unclassifiable quality to the club...
May have said this before but we don't want to lose this. When he retires be it 2014 or 2015 would love to keep him round the club as runner.

Could still stick it up them then

AND - who will led the song?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Like taxes and death, Milne's retirement is a certainty but gee I'm going to miss him. Watching him lead the team song again last night is just a reminder of some of what will be missed the most. How many times have we had the joy of listening to Milne belt out...OH WHEN THE SAINTS!...

AN ABSOLUTE SAINTS MAN TO THE CORE! Will be loved by all Saints die-hards for ever more no matter when his career finishes. Let's just hope that Milne and the club do the retirement thing properly because he deserves it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Like taxes and death, Milne's retirement is a certainty but gee I'm going to miss him. Watching him lead the team song again last night is just a reminder of some of what will be missed the most. How many times have we had the joy of listening to Milne belt out...OH WHEN THE SAINTS!...

AN ABSOLUTE SAINTS MAN TO THE CORE! Will be loved by all Saints die-hards for ever more no matter when his career finishes. Let's just hope that Milne and the club do the retirement thing properly because he deserves it.
Agreed.

Really hope that whenever the final date is agreed BOTH parties are comfortable with it and he is afforded the respectful send off he deserves.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Heard he is going to be in Jimmy Gwilts wedding party?

Wouldn't surprise me, he manages to get a gig at most player events, very much loved is Milney.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Still earning his spot, IMHO. He is on track to kick 30-40 goals for the year for the umpteenth time. It means he's still better than 90% of small forwards going around. Remember it took him a while to get into full stride last year as well. Dual AA, poised to break the record this week for most games by any player who has been elevated from the rookie list, close to 600 goals. Champion!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Inappropriate over use of the word Champion lessens it's value to worthy recipients.
For Milne to be considered a champion it would mean we have had about 60 champions post Baldock.
I reckon maybe 3 or 4 only!

SuperDuper
Club Player

he is in the final season of a very good career, and can bow out with a lot of pride at the end of this year

linmarnic
Club Player

Milne is a champion. Kicked more goals then anyone as a forward pocket.
Bleeds red white and black. I will miss him badly when he retires. I hope he goes on next year but would not surprise me if he retires if he believes it would be better for the club.

Never give up
lloyd21
Club Player

Milne - Where's he at?

Finished should not play in Adelaide this week has shocking record interstate just being honest.

Been a great player particularly at Etihad which suits him.
They have to play Dunnell / Saunders this week rest Milney for dogs next week because of short break.
Probably won't happen but every game they give a kid is worth 10 at this stage.
Sorry but club has to be ruthless this year with Blake Kosi Milne only given games if kid sore going forward.

They have to fasttrack the kids with the other Senior players to get games into them now ,before they fatigue

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I actually thought he played well away from goal including a shepherd in the backline that got him crunched by a bigger player. He has been a champ because he was able to adapt to the needs of the team. One bad play has clouded his game in which he contributed with out starring. I thought the reason we won was because all 22 contributed. We seem to have kids up or seniors up not both at the same time.

karnaby
Club Player

I like the way he occasionally gets back and helps out in defence. He's certainly not as one dimensional as he may have been in the past, so I think it's fair to judge him on more than goals and goof ups. The leadership that skeptic mentioned above is really hard for any of us on the outside to measure.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to answer all of the above with a question.
Would you leave Milne out of next weeks game ? or the next or the next ?
The answer is no so therefore we can crap on all we like him. At the end of the day he is a valuable contributor and more valuable than some others in the team.

Where's he at ? well he is nearing the end of a valuable career to our club, club champion and breaking records with almost every game he plays now yet seems to have little respect given him by some of our supporters, which makes me think that we have some dumb supporters as the Collingwoods, Cheats etc. do.

I shouldn't need to say what I have .....which worries me. :?