Last Day at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Last Day at Moorabbin

What about Beaches on a Thurs night Plugger? That was fun.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Siposstar#2 wrote:For us younger supporters, can someone please explain the disco. I have tried googling it to no prevail.
Was it a nightclub at moorabbin where fans and players mingled? Was it generally packed? Many fights? Hot women? Tell me everything! I wish I was around for it.

Saints disco was every Friday night for about 15 years. Started as an over 23 disco but it was easy to get into even when you were only 18. it was open to 3am. It then got changed to over 18 and was open till 5am. Some players would go in summer like Roberts, Barker, GT and a few more. the problem was a few seemed to go in winter as well. Eventually like all discos it dropped off so they moved it to home games on Saturday nights and it would be packed. Lots of players there as well. As the game got a little more professional the players dropped off and so did the crowds and the last one was after the last game. Sadly one year I went on the Friday something like 50 out of a possible 52 times but then again I probably did the same at Niccas on a Sunday and Derbys on a Thursday and Saturday. Those were the days.
Yep those were the days and well explained P66. When I first saw Siposstar's question I thought, how do you explain the disco. It was the place you could turn up to on your own and not worry because there would be someone there you would know for sure. There was never much trouble there either, Only the night plugger snotted the committee guy and I do remember one friday night a patron fell down the stair well, but he did kind of jump cos he thought he was superman. Was just good old fashioned fun, without worrying about
people slipping stuff in your drinks or punching your head in. Sundays at Niccas was also good.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Siposstar#2 wrote:For us younger supporters, can someone please explain the disco. I have tried googling it to no prevail.
Was it a nightclub at moorabbin where fans and players mingled? Was it generally packed? Many fights? Hot women? Tell me everything! I wish I was around for it.

Saints disco was every Friday night for about 15 years. Started as an over 23 disco but it was easy to get into even when you were only 18. it was open to 3am. It then got changed to over 18 and was open till 5am. Some players would go in summer like Roberts, Barker, GT and a few more. the problem was a few seemed to go in winter as well. Eventually like all discos it dropped off so they moved it to home games on Saturday nights and it would be packed. Lots of players there as well. As the game got a little more professional the players dropped off and so did the crowds and the last one was after the last game. Sadly one year I went on the Friday something like 50 out of a possible 52 times but then again I probably did the same at Niccas on a Sunday and Derbys on a Thursday and Saturday. Those were the days.
Yep those were the days and well explained P66. When I first saw Siposstar's question I thought, how do you explain the disco. It was the place you could turn up to on your own and not worry because there would be someone there you would know for sure. There was never much trouble there either, Only the night plugger snotted the committee guy and I do remember one friday night a patron fell down the stair well, but he did kind of jump cos he thought he was superman. Was just good old fashioned fun, without worrying about
people slipping stuff in your drinks or punching your head in. Sundays at Niccas was also good.
I never went to the Saints disco, but saw Plugger, Fode, Winmar and I think Burkey all having a few at The Cocktail Bar downstairs from Transformers, a nightclub about 300 metres from the Moorabbin Oval.

Plugger was supporting himself against a bar table. Had he fallen over (which appeared likely/possible), it would've been a magnitute 10 earthquake. The bloke was massive when you're standing near him!

What a pleasure to see so many superstars having a casual drink or twenty in a relaxed, drug free environment that the early 90's still were!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
mullet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I never went to the Saints disco, but saw Plugger, Fode, Winmar and I think Burkey all having a few at The Cocktail Bar downstairs from Transformers, a nightclub about 300 metres from the Moorabbin Oval.

Plugger was supporting himself against a bar table. Had he fallen over (which appeared likely/possible), it would've been a magnitute 10 earthquake. The bloke was massive when you're standing near him!

What a pleasure to see so many superstars having a casual drink or twenty in a relaxed, drug free environment that the early 90's still were!

Doubt you saw Burkey drinking alcohol. Didnt even touch it on mad monday.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:What about Beaches on a Thurs night Plugger? That was fun.

Where was Beaches. cant say ive heard of it. Remember im talking early 80's. Was that Zac's at the mentone?
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 09 May 2013 3:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

Cheers guys!

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The sad thing, because it reminds me of my age, there are people on this forum who weren't even born when the last game was played at Moorabbin, and will be celebrating their 21st later this year. OMG!!! where has the time gone. Also, trust you all checked out a young Bruce Eva and Di Di.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SunburySaint
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:The sad thing, because it reminds me of my age, there are people on this forum who weren't even born when the last game was played at Moorabbin, and will be celebrating their 21st later this year. OMG!!! where has the time gone. Also, trust you all checked out a young Bruce Eva and Di Di.
I was 6 when the last game at moorabbin was played... growing up in Albury Wodonga (as a Saints Fan) their wasnt much footage of AFL games around, also I really didnt start fully understanding what following footy meant until I was 8, so it is great to hear all these stories about the old days, no matter how bad or good they were...... I was very lucky to get into it when started to become good and have only really suffered the slums from 2000-2003 (which is nothing compared to most here)

Now lives in Geelong...
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I was only 12,but still remember it clearly. Dad was a permanent fixture at moorabbin,and to the late hours,so I spent many a hour there kicking goals well after dark, or playing in the players GYM,etc.
What was the bar open upstairs after games late? Was that Saints disco? The players used to come in and chat,etc, if so I was in there every week,and I was far from 18....3-12.

I remember some of the crowd were still there singing at the players race on dark on that last game. The banner was a ripper that day.

Things will never be the same as those days. Many of the blokes Dad played squash with and I grew up standing with each week are now dead. I call it the Lintonstreetcurse.
The old man never really forgave the club for leaving there. He went every week back in those days, he said he will never go again if they leave Moorabbin...not quite true,but he's probably only been to 20 games since after 21 years...

I doubt I will ever surpass the days of growing up watching Lockett dominate at Moorabbin,it was something else
The club wasn't great back then,but it had soul. Today it has nothing,it's just the jumper now

Bring back the Lockett era
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:

Where was Beaches. cant say ive heard of it. Remember im talking early 80's. Was that Zac's at the mentone?
in that case you wont remember South Side Six for a counter meal either

Seeya
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:I was there in my Reserved seat in Bay 6, sitting directly behind Justice David Ashley who once asked me why I called Russell Morris Nancy Boy....hilarious.

I never went to the Saints disco, I did go to the Social club upstairs once and watched Babba, people used to walk out the door to the Huggins stand and have a smoke..

Babba, no wonder they closed that room.....

You must have been sitting near me !

I had seats F 97 & F98 and that was when plain old David Ashley, workers advocate and he sat with his dad who was quite elderly but was also a champion of the worker.

Do you remember old George who was the stair attendant? No-one and I mean no-one got past George if you didn't present your seat ticket.

So sneaking into Bay 6 unlike today at Etihad these days because the aisle attendants couldn't give a stuff.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I lived near South Side Six and those were the days when you'd hear the sirens coming down South Road. In the bar out the back the back wall was painted in red, white and black.

You can thank my parents for the construction of South Side Six because John Kortum had to have the approval of the local residents to build it and my parents were like "where do we sign?" Although the beer garden was never constructed.

Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

Bruce - Thanks for putting up the link. So nice to see our mother on the video.
Spotted myself at about 3:15 and John Hassall at about 6:19.
We all had more hair there!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I was a Macca person and my dad was a Boundary man. I now attend the south side six on saturday nights at the over 28's on the occasional basis. Did see Cold Chisel there though.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

[Where was Beaches. cant say ive heard of it. Remember im talking early 80's. Was that Zac's at the mentone?[/quote]
in that case you wont remember South Side Six for a counter meal either[/quote]

I was a Macca person and my dad was a Boundary man. I now attend the south side six on saturday nights at the over 28's on the occasional basis. Did see Cold Chisel there though.[/quote]

Er Plugger it hasn't been Southside Six for years-it's now known as the Sandbelt Hotel.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

You're not the old Scottish fellow, who turn up wearing his kilt and Balmoral and carry the little portable music box playing bagpipe music are you?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:[Where was Beaches. cant say ive heard of it. Remember im talking early 80's. Was that Zac's at the mentone?
in that case you wont remember South Side Six for a counter meal either[/quote]

I was a Macca person and my dad was a Boundary man. I now attend the south side six on saturday nights at the over 28's on the occasional basis. Did see Cold Chisel there though.[/quote]

Er Plugger it hasn't been Southside Six for years-it's now known as the Sandbelt Hotel.[/quote]

I think I know that but being 51 it will always be the SS6 to me. I could call it Players as well. I certainly dont call Niccas, the Angel or Derbys Zagamies.

The Craw
Club Player

I was there also .... Always near the Peter Jackson sign. Strategic position. Bar was down behind us ..... 2 cans of VB per person .... and near the group of people who would came and set up there BBQ.

Ran straight to the centre circle when the game finished .... my mate found a tooth !!!!! I think he still has it.

Sadly those days are gone. Back then you could here the chant go up around the ground when the game was getting close. It was awesome. Nowadays you hear a muffled clap. Jez I wish we could get that atmosphere back at the docklands.

Not Craw, CRAW!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:You're not the old Scottish fellow, who turn up wearing his kilt and Balmoral and carry the little portable music box playing bagpipe music are you?

Im an Aussie mate. I probably pashed you at Saints disco.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Can someone put Heathens up again? Is it on YouTube still? That was epic

I've told this story before but it's worth another spin. I met a guy in Cairns, must've been late in 1992. Saints fan, said he ran out after the last game and grabbed a clod of turf that had Pluggers knee imprint in it! Lol

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I used to underage drink at the moorabin oval because a family friend worked in the booze caravan thing that sold beer near the car park. That place was not so great for my mental development. As such I don't have strong memories as I was either a kid or a drunk teenager. The Waverley days are pretty strong still and still have the best memories of the 1997 era team. We had been getting better after a pretty sad era before but then we took that next step and we had had a nice bonding session with the SOS campaign. Good days. Maybe I should start a take us back to waverley campaign.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Craw wrote:
Sadly those days are gone. Back then you could here the chant go up around the ground when the game was getting close. It was awesome. Nowadays you hear a muffled clap. Jez I wish we could get that atmosphere back at the docklands.
Why do you think it is so quiet & sterile at docklands? There are more people, a lot of the same people from Moorabbin... Even when we were 19 - 0 it didnt seem to get anywhere near the old days.

Even the Essendon game, pretty packed house... Just didn't seem that loud... Essendon cheer squad only got going when they were 8 goals up...

Is it the roof?
The loudspeaker ads?
Mid-strength beer?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I loved Linton Street.

So which one of you lot used to play the trumpet up the South Road end after a win? Used to be in bike Leathers.....Be standing there on his own while everyone piled on out.

Makes me feel old now.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The place had a Soul !
I don't know how or why but it did .
Occassionally i walk the dog around the place and whilst its not what it was , it's still got something !
By the mid-eighties my brother was a social club member , so we used to get to the game just after 11am . Dad used to work on the gate , so entry was never a problem . Then my brother would get me one of those guest passes you used to have to pin to your chest , then the day got going .
My life long love of curried snags started courtesy of the social club .
By 12.30 you'd be watching the reserves . then the big show and hopefully a win .
Used to leave about 6.30 after 30 - 45 minutes kicking the footy around ( till it got dark ) then fight my through the crowd in the social club trying to find my family .
After a good win the departure blew right out .
As a kid i used to love it when in the bar an hour or so after the game you'd start seeing all the players rock up . I can also remember many times when the opposition players would come into the bar , It was always a great atmosphere !
One i remember was Dermie's curly mullet , so close i could bath in its glory !
Was to young to know the goings on of the disco , but as a teenager I can certainly remember as the night wore on how more and more klunge would front !
Then we went to Waverly where I could legally drink , but the bars used to shut not long after the game . WTF !
I've been a social club member since 98 , nowdays i hardly go into it .
There are allot of good people in there , but it just lacks something .
Maybe it's mullets !

In red white and black from 73
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

One vivid memory,or sense is of the smell you'd get there.

Going in through the social club doors,then walking through downstairs,then through that side door to go outside,you would be greeted with that mixed smell of cigarette smoke,and warm pie and sauce,as there used to be a pie stall right there outside the door.
You would immediately glance to the left to check out the score of the reserves to see how they were going,or even the under 19's occasionally. How wonderful would that be to still have.

The game is promoted extensively now, and people have bigger incomes,and the population is bigger,so crowds are bigger than then,but it all honestly,they have f*cked things up . It was so much better back then. What you wouldn't give to go to a game early now and watch the seconds before hand(Geelong still have that),drink a few heavy beers with the boys. Now it's midstrength,no yelling,expensive, same homogenised boring crowd that sit in the same spot each week paying excessive reserved seat prices, who snarl at anyone who raises there voice. I guess it's better for families now,but seriously- BORING
I am jealous of any of you lot who lived your 20's through the Moorabbin era

Bring back the Lockett era