Watters labels Sydneys defenders tactics Interesting

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Re: Watters labels Sydneys defenders tactics Interesting

as they say adapt or die... come on Watters move us forward. AFL anit going to give a toss about us so i say lets start doing it.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
spert
Saintsational Legend

Tactics like pushing a player under the ball during marking, became illegal under the rules due to pressure from us and other clubs, and what Watters is saying in a very nice way, is that the umpires are ignoring blocking off the play and he probably thinks it's illegal under the rules- and I'm sure he will be going through the game video with Geish and asking for clarification. Stanley's block on Mummy in the ruck was dumb and obvious, and resulted in a goal, but I bet next week, the umpires will be deep in forward lines, watching any blocking of forwards moving to position while the ball is yet to reach the area.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Blocking ahead of the ball was not as clear on TV as it must have been at the game (but not mentioned on TV). It's very interesting that Watters has commented publicly on this.

If it was a clear Swans tactic, why wasn't something done at half-time to counter it?
Yep, it's up to the umpires. If an illegal tactic was being used, then the Swans next opponent will be the beneficiaries. I can remember one player who blocked a player off the ball, who then ran into the back of the blocker's head with his head. Alas, the blocker got 7 weeks.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Gieschen is a rampant imbecile!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:You miss the point too - its the coaches job- not mine, not yours.
THE COACH'S GET IT!!!

What part of all this dont you get? The tactic is illegal its like practising to face balls bowled two metres over the line in cricket.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
oh when the
Club Player

So the coach sits in the box and says I cant do anything because their tactics are illegal.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:So the coach sits in the box and says I cant do anything because their tactics are illegal.

You have no idea please refrain from posting. Maybe post in the Super Coach thread.

oh when the
Club Player

its a forum - i don't have to agree with you - i will post when i want and won't be told by curly.
OK.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:its a forum - i don't have to agree with you - i will post when i want and won't be told by curly.
OK.

Well think about what your posting and how stupid it sounds.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It is already a rule that you can't hold a player out of the contest if you are 5 meters from the ball. It's just there are 900 new rules that need over officiating first. They emphasise one a week and this was last years round 15 rule obviously.

It's back on the agenda and next week we will be the first team penalised 30 times in a game for it thanks scotty.

Sydney played a near whole quarter with an extra man a few years ago for no penalty and so now if a guys foot is near an interchange line you get a free kick on goal.

Last season they said it was over regulated and common sense would see less of these happening when it wasn't in keeping with the spirit of the law but apparently NZ is 5 years behind us.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

If it was on-going and blatant blocking, Nick could have said something on the ground - a few simple words like "he/they are blocking us all the time." It's not an official complaint - players comment to the umpires all the time.

The ump's need to be instructed by Gieschan to stop illegal blocking - a few free kicks paid will stop it dead. On-field, you could role players through to stop the blockers - blockers, stopping blockers!! A bit messy and inneficient, but it would certainly create immediate umpire awareness to what was happening.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

we got done for blocking about 3 times against essendon

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:we got done for blocking about 3 times against essendon

Correct.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just watching the replay - click on 3rd qtr 11.30m

Steven gets it in defence - our fwds have pushed up leaving the entire fwd 50 empty. Now we know Saad will out sprint most defenders and tdl is quick- so fair tactic to kick over the fwds heads into space and let saady run on to it heading towards goal... idea seems nice and uses our strengths and exposes their weaknesses...

But watch the swans guy blocking Saady - hes miles off the ball and doesnt allow us to finish this play which was a good opportunity for saad to goal if he was unhindered. Good play for them? yes. But definitely against the rules of the game.

Commentators certainly didnt pick up on it as they were watching the ball and suggested it wasnt a good kick.
but it was a good kick. only cheating stopped the goal.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Junction Oval wrote:If it was on-going and blatant blocking, Nick could have said something on the ground - a few simple words like "he/they are blocking us all the time."
I believe that one player is permitted to approach the umpires at the end of each quarter to clarify interpretation etc.
That is the ONLY time the umpires are supposed to actually engage in discussion.
The captain is the one player who is allowed to do this.
Is this occurring?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:If it was on-going and blatant blocking, Nick could have said something on the ground - a few simple words like "he/they are blocking us all the time."
I believe that one player is permitted to approach the umpires at the end of each quarter to clarify interpretation etc.
That is the ONLY time the umpires are supposed to actually engage in discussion.
The captain is the one player who is allowed to do this.
Is this occurring?
No.......He couldn't get to the umpire to have a chat....he was being blocked

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
andrewg
Club Player

Watters was obviously making a point that Sydney were cheating by blocking off the ball to put it on the agenda for football discussion this week. Guaranteed it will be on AFL 360, footy classified etc............to make the discussion public I thought was great, he was calling Sydney on their cheating and defending our talls at the same time.

How do you coach for a tactic that is illegal? The reason it is against the rules is because it effects the players ability to play the game properly. Like saying, 'we know the the tigers like to give our players coat hangers at the contest so we should come up with something to stop this.'

They blocked off the ball it was obvious it has to stop. Well done to Scott for bringing it up in a way he or the club don't get into strife, clever.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Stop Sydney cheating.

Thank you afl.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

he could've brought it up BEFORE we played them lol

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Saint wagga
Club Player

I agree that we have been hard done by with regards to the umps this year, but I'm also worried by the poor discipline showed by a lot of our senior more experienced players. Lots of very stupid unnecessary free kicks given away in every game. This trend worries me as it may point to senior players not being in line with the coach and a growing ill discipline that is very different to the absolute authority displayed throughout the Lyon era and very tight discipline. Thoughts?