Umpires are cheats

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpires are cheats

The umpires had no choice but to cheat.
Demetriou was present.
If St Kilda had not tried so hard to win then maybe the umpires could have been fairer.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Really poor umpiring.
Favoured them a bit more than us - especially early - but it was more a case of just typically poor umpiring. It really is a joke and I don't know what the afl can do about it aside from really pushing home the point that you never blow a free on the fifty-fifties, in fact only blow a free you are certain on. And change the fifty metre penalties to 15 metres for most offenses.
We have been shafted so far over the course of the season. Hopefully what goes around comes around, but I would like to see the club be a lot more proactive about this. Approach the umpires association in as diplomatic a way as possible and ask for clarification going over actual game footage. If we are getting a poor rub awareness will follow, if not, hopefully the players will learn what is likely to be called and what not.
But the situation needs to change.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just get frustrated generally in footy, that laying so many tackles is not rewarded like it used to be

Griggsy
SS Life Member

The game is in a sad state when supporters can make rational arguments as to why officiating is poor in a lot of games, not just ours.

Will there ever again be a close game lost where supporters leave disappointed thinking their team lost because the other was better?

Not that I am solely blaming the umpires, as skills were just as deplorable as the officials.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It's a pity an independent body can't come in and have stewards watch over the games.

They are having a massive affect on the outcome of the results. Horse racing is the only sport I can think that is bigger where an outside influence can determine or help determine an outcome.

Is the game corrupt- big call,I am sure it has/does happen. In most cases though it seems the umpires heavily weight there decisions towards- top sides playing poor sides, interstate home sides, Sydney,The current glamour club of the time,Sydney,and Sydney

It's on the verge of being unwatchable, especially for the irrelevant clubs, and unfortunately,we are in this basket at present.

Bring back the Lockett era
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Really thought no saide was favoured by the umps. They got them early and we got them late. its going to be along few years if every week people think they cheated so we would lose.
You are a d**khead. Total and utter. Please barrack for someone else (anyone), it would be a win for all involved (except the team you choose). Worst St Kilda fan ever, of course you aren't here but still know better than everyone...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Solar wrote:please tell me one, just one they got wrong that favoured the saints. PLEASE
There was a complete howler when of their smalls literally got his head taken off about 20m out straight in front and it was called play on, but it was well after the damage was well and truly done...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We might as well partake in some drugs too

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

We all know there's corruption in the AFL, Barry Hall getting clear, and let's see what happens to Essendon as players have now omitted to being given a banned substance.
Bet it it was one of the clubs like us, or Melbourne, Bulldogs etc, our fate would already be known.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
deadman walking
Club Player

the umpires a bigger than the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Really thought no saide was favoured by the umps. They got them early and we got them late. its going to be along few years if every week people think they cheated so we would lose.
You are a d**khead. Total and utter. Please barrack for someone else (anyone), it would be a win for all involved (except the team you choose). Worst St Kilda fan ever, of course you aren't here but still know better than everyone...

Can I ask why I am a d**khead and the worst Saints ever? I think I am a fantastic supporter. Go to every game when I can. Travel as much as I can afford. Barrack hard and when the game starts always think we can win even if i dont beforehand, Helped the club off the ground for 14 years. In your opinion what do i have to do to be a good supporter. Is say the umps cheated which is illogical. Is it say the media hate us which is illogical. Say the AFL hate us which is illogical. I am not angry with you but love to know why I am a bad supporter and I would also love to know why you are a good supporter. I will go so far to say i am one of our best supporters on this forum and have plenty to back that up.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

this guy cripples us every time. Nick Foot. if we get him against Collingwood I'm not going.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
nobhead
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I just get frustrated generally in footy, that laying so many tackles is not rewarded like it used to be
so glad when I logged on this morning and saw this post. in my 44 years of watching football I have never been so frustrated and confused about the rules and the interpretation of them. the rules comitee have well and truly destroyed this great game with petty technical bulls*** rules that no one understands .I was getting to the point last night thinking this was just blatent cheating , pretty sad state of affairs when we get to that point.
how many holding the ball decisions against the swans ?????
Stanley illeagal sheppard???
goal review decision bizzare???
50m penalties ,etc........

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Desertsaint said in part ......

[/quote]I don't know what the afl can do about it aside from really pushing home the point that you never blow a free on the fifty-fifties, in fact only blow a free you are certain on.[quote]

Fully agree. It seems that the umpires have to "show" that they are in control - they believe that is what they are paid to do. Technical free kicks, particularly when in front of goal, are not what the supporters want to see. We can accept clear errors.

Frees to the Swans in the forward 50, compared to those paid to the Saints, must have been way out of sinc. Three (or was it 4) goals and/or shots on goal to the Swans, probably cost us the game.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yesterday's game was conclusive proof... to me anyway.. that the maggots.... cheat...play favourites...aren't even handed....act unfairly.....are on the take......whatever you want to call it.....anyway you look at it...we end up getting screwed......

anyway my argument is this......the swans got early crucial frees in very advantages positions on the ground...leading to at least 4 goals....then they..the maggots played catch up frees to the saints where frees weren't going to result in a goal....free differential at half time was only one .... 8 to 9 from memory....last half we got only 3 frees to 9 ...the maggots were left in a position where they couldn't even up and didn't even try to...why...because we were storming home and an upset win was on the cards......flower the maggots and flower the afl....afaic.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
for once i'm glad someone quoted this goose...is he for real....?????...we got our frees late in the game did we.????.how many does he think there were ffs.....??...we had 8 at half time and ended up with 11 for the match...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Liam_G
Club Player

Teflon wrote:What Im trying to find and cant is season tallies for Goals Scored from Free kicks
Id be interested to see how all our opponents have gone in goals scored from frees this year.
Just went through our numbers.

Our opposition have scored 12.10 from free kicks (and 50m penalties) during Rounds 1 to 5
In comparison we have scored 5.2 from free kicks (and 50m penalties) during Rounds 1 to 5

That's 22 scoring shots to 7 across the 5 Rounds.
Rounds 1 and 2 against GCS and Richmond we were 5.5 to 0.0.

Obviously these are just the numbers from DIRECT free kicks. I'm sure some could attempt to argue even higher numbers from chains started by free kicks against as well.

In addition, as someone else asked, St Kilda are currently equal 1st (with Melbourne) for frees conceded in our Defensive 50. We are on 21. To put that in comparison, the competition average is 14.7, and Hawthorn and Sydney are the lowest, conceding only 8 and 9 respectively.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its not just frees i hate that these muppets are pulling out their ass

someone takes a mark down back near the boundary or goal (happened last night)
goes to play on
whistle blows
'back around'
goes to kick
whistle again

'back around to go over the mark'

meanwhile over ten secs has gone by
f****** bulls*** stupid little rules
if he wants to go/run off then let him go ffs!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
suss wrote:I have had to walk past the umpire training a few times recently and it's quite interesting to see how they spend their time. They actually play lots of footy. It actually looks like footy / fitness training - not umpire training.

They also spend and unbelievable amount of time practicing the gestures like tapping their hands for a rushed behind, or perfectly signaling out on the full. It's just bizarre. There doesn't seem to be any instructing or learning - just fitness and posturing.

I think the AFL needs to widen the scope of potential umpires - not just fitness freaks and perfect ball bouncers. There doesn't appear to be any diversity at all. Just white men who run marathons. If you limit the scope of people who can be umpires, the you reduce the talent pool and end up with a poor product.

I think it should be women only. Men seem get caught up in making themselves the spectacle. Stupid little peacocks wanting to increase their already elevated egos. Ray Chamberlain should have been banned for life now he's back again.
he's always been a little s***...

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Liam_G wrote:
Teflon wrote:What Im trying to find and cant is season tallies for Goals Scored from Free kicks
Id be interested to see how all our opponents have gone in goals scored from frees this year.
Just went through our numbers.

Our opposition have scored 12.10 from free kicks (and 50m penalties) during Rounds 1 to 5
In comparison we have scored 5.2 from free kicks (and 50m penalties) during Rounds 1 to 5

That's 22 scoring shots to 7 across the 5 Rounds.
Rounds 1 and 2 against GCS and Richmond we were 5.5 to 0.0.

Obviously these are just the numbers from DIRECT free kicks. I'm sure some could attempt to argue even higher numbers from chains started by free kicks against as well.

In addition, as someone else asked, St Kilda are currently equal 1st (with Melbourne) for frees conceded in our Defensive 50. We are on 21. To put that in comparison, the competition average is 14.7, and Hawthorn and Sydney are the lowest, conceding only 8 and 9 respectively.
very very impressive bit of work there

100% backs up my theory, if you are down the bottom you get reemed. If you are a glamour club 'Oh Buddy,Awwwww CYRIL,MMMMMMMMMMM', or Sydney, you get an extraordinary run from the umpires.

Australians like the underdog, however with the umpiring fraternity, it's the opposite, they are unAustralian..... most probably bitter because of there childhood

Bring back the Lockett era
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Its simple the umpires know what is good for them. If Sydney lost yesterday and Longmire made a veiled swipe at the umpires everyone would think well hang on they where favourites the umps cost them. Watters complains its meh they would have lost anyway.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Seriously the club should seek clarification over where we are going wrong. We've been shafted most weeks and opposition free kicks at goal are of particular concern.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Seriously the club should seek clarification over where we are going wrong. We've been shafted most weeks and opposition free kicks at goal are of particular concern.

The only problem is that the umps will be forced to play the obvious ones the following week then hold a grudge for life like the whispers in the sky thing. A journo heard the ump threaten the saints and a passenger heard it too- the AFL said there was no evidence. they cost us that Port Adelaide final after that too. They look after them even when they are caught cheating.

Last season the AFL rules committee said they would drop the interchange infringement rule for when players just have a foot over or is a minor infringement. Kosi was done last season and it was why they said they would fix it. It obviously hasn't been fixed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Seriously the club should seek clarification over where we are going wrong. We've been shafted most weeks and opposition free kicks at goal are of particular concern.

The only problem is that the umps will be forced to play the obvious ones the following week then hold a grudge for life like the whispers in the sky thing. A journo heard the ump threaten the saints and a passenger heard it too- the AFL said there was no evidence. they cost us that Port Adelaide final after that too. They look after them even when they are caught cheating.

Last season the AFL rules committee said they would drop the interchange infringement rule for when players just have a foot over or is a minor infringement. Kosi was done last season and it was why they said they would fix it. It obviously hasn't been fixed.

Gringo they never said that and they shouldnt either. Follow the rule. it isnt that hard.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Gringo they never said that and they shouldnt either. Follow the rule. it isnt that hard.
The Free and 50m penalty is the wrong outcome for what happened.
We never had 19 players on the ground.
If anything that one should be a fine not an on field penalty.

If we had 19 (or more) on the ground then fair enough...We should concede a goal. But what happened last night was not that.