Umpires F%$king useless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Re: Umpires F%$king useless

I usually think that you win some frees, lose some frees, but last night was simply over-the-top in Richmond's favour. When umpiring decisions clearly influence a result, it's not a good look - but the Saints wear the outcome.

Umpires again giving touchy, technical frees to show their control over things - they get paid, so they have to give frees and adjudicate all the time! Where is their common sense?

Interestingly, not much in the press today, nor on radio after the game. On SEN, they refused to talk about umpiring decision.
Being at the game, I didn't hear what was said in real time by the commentators, but I am going to suggest that the AFL leans on media outlets, when it comes to criticising poor umpiring. If there is no public/media criticism, then umpires will not be held to account for their poor decision-making.

Now the Big Question - are the Saints going to submit a formal complaint to the AFL and will the Saints communicate this to their irate supporters :?: :?:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:The umps put in a dismal performance tonight. Bad decisions going against both teams.

Did anyone notice they seemed to tone it down in the last? It was almost as though they put their whistles where they belong.

But that free kick awarded to J. Riewoldt was just a howler. If he's not the umpy's drinking buddy tonight...
I nearly lost my voice at the game yesterday with that shytehouse free to golden boy.

In the context of the quarter it was a disgraceful howler and the umpire should get an official warning over it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Umpires set the tone for the night when they pinned Gilbert for holding the ball directly in front of Richmonds goal. Only problem was they then failed to pay it in our end for the whole night. The free to Jack when we were 4 points down was well in no better words cheating. Then to not pay in danger or high toArmo was corrupt.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Nothing will change cause the Third Reich won't allow their performances to be discussed

Crap umps ought to be named - good ones applauded how else do u raise the bar??

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:The very first free kick?

HTB free kick, shot at goal.... That's how an umpire can influence a game.

yep....i thought...here we go again......no prior opportunity for mine.....look, i don't care if the maggots ...and they are maggots.....are consistent...but they're not...not imhfo anyway.... :twisted:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SideshowMilne wrote:4 goals 2 vs 0 goals 0 from frees, so reported on radio.
A damning stat. In a hard-fought battle, that could almost be the difference.

last week we got more frees than the suns...but frees in the forward 50 went 4 nil suns way...not sure how many goals they kicked from those frees...would like to know though...we are getting royally screwed...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Teflon wrote:One of the worst clearly biased displays of umpiring Ive seen.
Does it have to be a conspiracy? Couldn't simple incompetence be the reason?

too easy to blame it on incompetence......9 goals to nil from frees in the forward in two games 50 smacks of something else to me....i don't know what it is...boyhood favorites, likes and dislikes, afl directions, betting by umpires....who knows...but something stinks.......it's a continuation from last year too....

GSG
Club Player

Yes, we did get less free kicks and only one in the forward 50. A lot were missed on both sides, although we certainly got the rough end of the pineapple, but this happens all the time and does not necessarily lose you the game.
However, one thing is for sure, if the game hangs in the balance with only minutes to go, as was the case yesterday (only 4 points down) and the umpire awards a free right in front of goal (a wrong one or just a very soft one), he makes a very conscious decision as to who should win the game.
Maybe because he hates St Kilda (doubt it) or he feels that Richmond deserves to win. After all they did play better football and were in front all night.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone explain to me how j riewoldt was behind the mark when he smothered dempsters kick early in the first?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly the key indicators were with in a couple of numerals different except the free kicks and the goals from frees.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone explain why a free was given against Gilbert around wing in the second quarter after he had his arms chopped? The ball was taken into their forward line and they got a goal.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Grimfang
Club Player

Watch Mollison closely. He's a sneaky little shyte. More than once, he conveniently positioned himself to screen a Richmond forward, forcing the saints defender to go around him trying to follow.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I don't blame the umpires for all their mistakes, I blame how they are being coached by a non intelligent buffoon who hasn't got a clue. I blame that almost every week their told to interpret the rules differently from the week before. I blame the rules committee constantly interferring with the game because they don't like the way it is going, but aren't good enough to get a coaching job to do something about it, or had one and failed miserably.
You look at the rules how they are today, Lockett and Dunstall would not have kicked half the goals they got, SIlvangi's career would have been over before it started.
We have more rule changes in a year than other codes have had for their entire history of existence.
I saw so many tackles last night, and in other games, that should have been rewarded, but aren't. It seems you get holding the ball only if the player dares to interupt the flow of game, not because of the tackle. Using ones body strength to take a mark has been virtually outlawed, and yet they want to see more contested possessions.
For the sake of the game, leave it alone and let it evolve naturally.
No wonder the umpires are confused, because they have to deal with a new set of rules every game.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Kate
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
gringo wrote: We should employ women as umpires as they seem more even tempered and less prone to peacock-like displays of egotism
:lol:
Not as silly as it seems. There are a lot of young girls running around at junior levels that are mad about the game. Then they hit puberty and they are out on their ear and are lost to other sports. The AFL should look at recruiting them at this age and getting them started on umpiring. They can stay involved in the game they love and earn a bit of pocket-money on the side.

Let's face it footy mad boys want to play, not umpire. So you get little control freaks who like to dictate play who take up umpiring.

The pro would be that these would be umpires who love the sport and are taught from a young age the importance of adjudicating with impartiallity. Only the ones who can do this should make it to senior level.

I also believe that senior umpires should be very well paid, full time professionals, and also held to very high standards. Performances like last night should see them dropped and others given a go. Only the best should be regulars at AFL level.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Can anyone explain why a free was given against Gilbert around wing in the second quarter after he had his arms chopped? The ball was taken into their forward line and they got a goal.

Yeah that one was a mystery. The one where he got tackled in the first few minutes when he was supposed to get it out from under a pile was a mystery when later J Riewoldt had the same thing happen but got a free the other way because they piled on him????

gringo
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I don't blame the umpires for all their mistakes, I blame how they are being coached by a non intelligent buffoon who hasn't got a clue. I blame that almost every week their told to interpret the rules differently from the week before. I blame the rules committee constantly interferring with the game because they don't like the way it is going, but aren't good enough to get a coaching job to do something about it, or had one and failed miserably.
You look at the rules how they are today, Lockett and Dunstall would not have kicked half the goals they got, SIlvangi's career would have been over before it started.
We have more rule changes in a year than other codes have had for their entire history of existence.
I saw so many tackles last night, and in other games, that should have been rewarded, but aren't. It seems you get holding the ball only if the player dares to interupt the flow of game, not because of the tackle. Using ones body strength to take a mark has been virtually outlawed, and yet they want to see more contested possessions.
For the sake of the game, leave it alone and let it evolve naturally.
No wonder the umpires are confused, because they have to deal with a new set of rules every game.

How was the one where there was a block by Newnes because he took his eyes off the ball for a second to see where the player behind him was. I understand if you are not the guy in front but Newnes was attempting to mark not push a guy likely to mark from out of his way. They seem to lack any intuition.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:How was the one where there was a block by Newnes because he took his eyes off the ball for a second to see where the player behind him was. I understand if you are not the guy in front but Newnes was attempting to mark not push a guy likely to mark from out of his way. They seem to lack any intuition.
Nah, that one was definitely there. Newnes needs to learn from it, take your eyes off the ball to push your opponent in a marking contest and it's a free every day of the week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:How was the one where there was a block by Newnes because he took his eyes off the ball for a second to see where the player behind him was. I understand if you are not the guy in front but Newnes was attempting to mark not push a guy likely to mark from out of his way. They seem to lack any intuition.
Nah, that one was definitely there. Newnes needs to learn from it, take your eyes off the ball to push your opponent in a marking contest and it's a free every day of the week.

He was standing in front and got run into from behind but was deemed to have taken his eyes off the ball. I woould suggest that in 99% of cases the guy in front will get the free for in the back. Excessively technical because the other guy wasn't in the contest even. Should have been play on or nothing. I get it if you push but he was standing back to him. He could have looked to see the next link up. It is a stupid rule if it was properly applied.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:Can anyone explain to me how j riewoldt was behind the mark when he smothered dempsters kick early in the first?
That was another incorrect decision.. Shouldve been 50 to us, instead a richmond goal..

Ump had NOT called play on, and Dempster changed his direction, not off his line..

Just wrong.

arpstk
Club Player

I just wish to add my voice to this one, umpires were useless last night, one muppet in particular. Know its not the only factor but some very ordinary decisions. Goals from free kicks says it all.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

[quote][On SEN, they refused to talk about umpiring decision.
/quote]

No Finey refuses to talk about it. Would have liked to hear what the caller wanted to say, he wanted to quote figures but was talked over and shut down. Finey doesnt mind talking umpires when it isnt a stkilda game. He tries so hard to be unbiased that he is annoying and sounds like a brown nose. He is actually losing me. But loves to share text messages that have a go at him for being a saints supporter. Its talk back Finey, let people have their say. You even gave the drunk richmond supporters more of a go than the saints supporter who wanted to share his statistics.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

The problem is if you want change you need punishment. There is no punishment.
Find out where they live, go as a big group, and sing loudly all night long. Mean songs.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
1965 Saint
Club Player

I agree it was awful last night. And if you want any further evidence that the AFL is now totally corrupt have alook at the first quarter of today's Shockers v Bulldogs game. Fremantle is another Dimwit love child - well they need to win a flag dont they!!!!

What's really galling is that they dont even try to hide it now. Dimwit should be in gaol.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

1965 Saint wrote:I agree it was awful last night. And if you want any further evidence that the AFL is now totally corrupt have alook at the first quarter of today's Shockers v Bulldogs game. Fremantle is another Dimwit love child - well they need to win a flag dont they!!!!

What's really galling is that they dont even try to hide it now. Dimwit should be in gaol.

Yep because it makes sense the fead of the AFL tells umpires to cheat. Funny how it never gets into the media. You would think a story like that would be the first 20 pages of the paper.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
1965 Saint wrote:I agree it was awful last night. And if you want any further evidence that the AFL is now totally corrupt have alook at the first quarter of today's Shockers v Bulldogs game. Fremantle is another Dimwit love child - well they need to win a flag dont they!!!!

Yep because it makes sense the fead of the AFL tells umpires to cheat. Funny how it never gets into the media. You would think a story like that would be the first 20 pages of the paper.
4 pages for you to finally post in this thread plugger.. And it was in response to someone's opinion, a comment which struck me as frustratingly tongue in cheek..

What is your opinion on the quality of umpiring from the match? Honestly? As an isolated game, what mark out of 10? Do you believe the 9-1 inside 50 free count was warranted? Just interested in your thoughts.