Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Share your bizarre/offbeat Saints moments.

Con Gorozidis wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:The day at Moorabbin when Geoff Fidler whacked Mick Conlan.
I don't know who got the biggest shock, Conlan, Fidler or the crowd.

what his nickname 'Kiddie' ?
"Kiddie" Conlan :?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Favier wrote:The most bizarre day for me was the day we played the Doggies at Waverley just after Trevor Barker died.

They released his pigeons just before the game started as a tribute - it was quite a moving experience.

Later that same afternoon during the third quarter, news started coming through on the radio about the Port Arthur massacre - half the people on our wing were glued to their radios as it all unfolded while the game went on.

We ended up winning a tight contest against the Doggies in the end, but the crowd were strangely subdued as they made their way back to the car park.

Does anyone else remember that day? It was very surreal...
I was there that day and my experience was similar to yours and even the train the next morning (not that morning trains are rowdy) was even quieter.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:The day at Moorabbin when Geoff Fidler whacked Mick Conlan.
I don't know who got the biggest shock, Conlan, Fidler or the crowd.

what his nickname 'Kiddie' ?
"Kiddie" Conlan :?
:D :D :D
I was referring to Mr Fidler.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I very nearly met some Saints fan named 'Doc Spaceman' at Metricon this year.

That would've been bizarre, certainly up there with anyone who ate one of Jacko's rectally dipped Twisties...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I very nearly met some Saints fan named 'Doc Spaceman' at Metricon this year.

"You say goodbye and I say hello, Hello hello..."

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
stevie wrote:I very nearly met some Saints fan named 'Doc Spaceman' at Metricon this year.

"You say goodbye and I say hello, Hello hello..."
You know how to make my day Doc...

paulski
Club Player

I remember seeing Plugger spit on Dean Laidley's back during a game at Moorabbin.

Was pretty disapointed with the big fella after that. Thought it was pretty low at the time, and still do.

I think Laidley was playing for the Eagles at the time, and was getting under Tony's skin.
Huge missmatch, but Dean had some balls and was all over Plugger that day.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:I remember seeing Plugger spit on Dean Laidley's back during a game at Moorabbin.

Was pretty disapointed with the big fella after that. Thought it was pretty low at the time, and still do.

I think Laidley was playing for the Eagles at the time, and was getting under Tony's skin.
Huge missmatch, but Dean had some balls and was all over Plugger that day.

Peter caven would have taken the gob on the back instead.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
mildurasaint wrote:Can't remember exactly what year it was, but went to a game at Waverley with my dad who was a Swans supporter. Suddenly playing for us that day were Paul Morwood and Silvio Foschini who had just transferred from the Swans to the Saints mid season through some loophole we found or something.
I was there. 1983, Round 4 v Geelong at Waverley. Also notable for being Tony Lockett's first game. He had three kicks for two goals. We lost by 11 points.
It was the first game of Aussie Rules I went to after coming out from England.
I was with a bunch of South African born Geelong supporters who kept going on about Foschini having won a clearance through the courts and Morwood not having a clearance at all. We were dirty cheats who were destroying the game in their eyes. I have loved the Saints ever since.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

paulski wrote:I remember seeing Plugger spit on Dean Laidley's back during a game at Moorabbin.
That's very surprising, :shock: and pretty poor form... but it's never too late. Next time Lenny's over for lunch, I reckon ask him to bring Laids along also.

Pluggs, time to kiss and make up.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Lenny
Club Player

mullet wrote:Dont know about weirdest day, but weirdest Guy was a guy who used to sit in stkilda members part on outer wing at waverley. He had a bald head and always wore his sleeveless jumper no matter how cold. He was so funny and everyone was always glad to see him. Once we played brisbane and he brought an alarm clock to wake up Alistair lynch who was suffering from chronic fatigue. Last I heard he rode his bike to Darwin for something to do. Never saw him again when we moved to the docklands. He was weird, but I loved him
I remember that, thought it was hilarious.

St Lenny
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:The day that Robbie Muir went berserk at Princes Park, Round 6, 1984.

He got 12 weeks eventually after being reported for threatening the central umpire, abusing a goal umpire, headbutting Bruce Doull (who played on a young Plugger) and striking Val Perovic.

A vintage performance by Mad Dog. We lost. Match report at http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php? ... nd+6,+1984

Also the day at Moorabbin in 1980 when Essendon's Phil Carman headbutted boundary umpire Graham Carberry (for which he received 20 weeks). We won.

Also the day in 1975 when Carman (then playing for Collingwood and wearing revolutionary white boots) kicked 11 against us at Moorabbin with George Young kicking nine (I think) for us. We lost.

Also the day in 1983 that Mark Jackson kicked 10 for us against the Swans in Sydney. We lost. Jackson was sacked later in the season for disciplinary reasons, but I think the selectors might have had an eye on the young Tony Lockett to fill his role down the track.
Re Robbie Muir and the Carlton game. I also was at that game and it happened right in front of us. Carlton set him up and he fell for it. Poor ol Robbie had to put up with a lot that players dont have to these days. Went to work on Monday only to be told by my friend who was married to a Carlton player that Carlton fired him up on purpose and were instructed not to stop till he cracked. She thought it was funny, I was furious.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Vs Hawthorn, 1986 @ Princess Park - David Grant after the half time break going to his position in the forward line and smoking a cigarette before the opening bounce of the third quarter. You could say it's a pretty fair reflection of the degree of professionalism at the club during that era.

Vs North Melbourne, 1991 @ Moorabbin - Plugger Lockett and Mick Martin wrestling in the goal square at Moorabbin in 1991 was both epic and strange.

Vs Hawthorn, 1999 @ Waverly - Saints meltdown after half time. Barry Hall in one passage of play giving away a sequence of 50 metre penalties. One of the most embarrassing losses.

Vs North Melbourne, 2005 @ Jihad - Milne marking in the goal square and deciding to play on, only to get hit by a tackle and getting penalised for holding the ball. I think it was the opening round of the season and it was 35 degrees that day.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I don't think I mentioned this on here. Apologies if its a repeat.

On a rare visit to Melbourne last year I saw the Suns game at Etihad. A couple of days later I went to a cafe in Brighton with my wife. We ordered a couple of coffees and something to eat. They gave us one of those stands with a number on it. We got number 3. I said to my wife "number 3! Gee Jack Steven played well the other night." She gave me one of those looks that only she can produce.

She wasn't the only one that heard me. An older gentleman sitting at a table we walked past, gave me a quizzical look. It took me a couple of seconds to recognize him, but I couldn't believe that my comment about the Saints number 3 had been overheard by none other than Ross Smith.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Vs North Melbourne, 1991 @ Moorabbin - Plugger Lockett and Mick Martin wrestling in the goal square at Moorabbin in 1991 was both epic and strange.
Yeah, that was funny. Like a couple of young lovers they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Plugger ended with five or six iirc.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Vs North Melbourne, 1991 @ Moorabbin - Plugger Lockett and Mick Martin wrestling in the goal square at Moorabbin in 1991 was both epic and strange.
Yeah, that was funny. Like a couple of young lovers they couldn't keep their hands off each other. Plugger ended with five or six iirc.
Wasn't just in the square. They were wrestling on the boundary and Plugger very nearly lost it completely. His eyes were glazing over. Sandy Roberts is the commentator or Robbo, and he's saying, 'easy, Tony, the club needs you on the field' or something like that. Later in the game, Jeff Hilton snags a goal and Sandy yells 'Hilton Hotel'.

Plugger kicked 5 and we won by 35 Pts.

loris
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I don't think I mentioned this on here. Apologies if its a repeat.

On a rare visit to Melbourne last year I saw the Suns game at Etihad. A couple of days later I went to a cafe in Brighton with my wife. We ordered a couple of coffees and something to eat. They gave us one of those stands with a number on it. We got number 3. I said to my wife "number 3! Gee Jack Steven played well the other night." She gave me one of those looks that only she can produce.

She wasn't the only one that heard me. An older gentleman sitting at a table we walked past, gave me a quizzical look. It took me a couple of seconds to recognize him, but I couldn't believe that my comment about the Saints number 3 had been overheard by none other than Ross Smith.

Wow you are spanning a few generations there kosifantutti....... let's hope the former #3 you mentioned is as good as the latter #3 in your story, that would be really something to look forward to eh?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Wasn't just in the square. They were wrestling on the boundary and Plugger very nearly lost it completely. His eyes were glazing over. Sandy Roberts is the commentator or Robbo, and he's saying, 'easy, Tony, the club needs you on the field' or something like that. Later in the game, Jeff Hilton snags a goal and Sandy yells 'Hilton Hotel'.

Plugger kicked 5 and we won by 35 Pts.
At one point Plugger wrestled Martin into the fence. Both myself and my 8 year old (at the time) brother were sitting on the other side of the fence and boy did we feel the impact. It was actually quite scary.

Jeff Hilton was great that year. Although, he didn't play a lot of senior games, he was fun to watch in the curtain raisers (reserves). Thought he was a star in the making. Loved how he was the new "Joffa" after Cunningham who had retired a few years before. Did he get injured the following year? I was disappointed to see him end up at Melbourne. Tim Allen looked to be an emerging star from that year as well.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
goodie
Club Player

Spending the first two days of a Contiki tour trying to work out whether the big bloke was an ex-St Kilda rookie (he was)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Spending the first two days of a Contiki tour trying to work out whether the big bloke was an ex-St Kilda rookie (he was)
who?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
goodie wrote:Spending the first two days of a Contiki tour trying to work out whether the big bloke was an ex-St Kilda rookie (he was)
who?
Con Tiki 8-)

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: At one point Plugger wrestled Martin into the fence. Both myself and my 8 year old (at the time) brother were sitting on the other side of the fence and boy did we feel the impact. It was actually quite scary.

Jeff Hilton was great that year. Although, he didn't play a lot of senior games, he was fun to watch in the curtain raisers (reserves). Thought he was a star in the making. Loved how he was the new "Joffa" after Cunningham who had retired a few years before. Did he get injured the following year? I was disappointed to see him end up at Melbourne. Tim Allen looked to be an emerging star from that year as well.
Can't find this game on YouTube. Any chance McAdam?