Captain 2013 and beyond.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Captain 2013 and beyond.

If Roo is possibly stepping this year then who goes captain?

I hope Dempster gets it.

What does everone think?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Captain 2013 and beyond.

Reckon Roo for another year. See how things pan out next year, possibility McEvoy in 2014.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I dont understand why everyone thinks mcevoy.

Watching the last game of the year against carlton, I thought Dempster did a great job.

Just my thoughts.

thequarry
Club Player

Much like I fantasise of a red, yellow and black St Kilda jumper I fantasise about Ben McEvoy being St Kilda's 2017 premiership captain.

Then we got Tom Hickey, and I thought...what if Big Ben isn't even to hold down the number one ruck spot in a few years' time? Fantasies aside, a few "ifs" have to go into that prospect alone, but I'm not sure if it's really that remote a possibility.

If we run with the notion that big men don't develop for a while, then Ben has a couple of years on Hickey career-wise. Club-wise he's five seasons and should be set to really blossom over the next couple of years, and he's already established his presence around the club and broken into the leadership group.

So Big Ben, assuming he continues to develop, would be my pick (and I'm sure a few others'), but I do wonder if he'll be clearly a number one ruckman in several year's time in a side that may well have two (relatively) lumbering giants vying for a spot.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

He's young enough to lead the team for a long time. He's in the leadership group and throughout juniors and into AFL level he has shown great leadership.
Players and club officials have also said at times that they think he'd make a great captain. There's no assurances, but you'd have to think McEvoy is a good chance to lead the Saints at some stage.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Watching the last game of the year against carlton, I thought Dempster did a great job.
How could you tell from the stands? I've never been sure how to measure a captain.

GRAMophone
Club Player

I think Sean's leadership on the ground has been great this year - but he's horribly uncomfortable talking in public (eg at the B&F) and possibly always will be.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Agreed that Dempster is an absolutely woeful public speaker and couldn't handle the media required. Plus he isn't that much younger than Roo, we'd ideally be appointing someone in the 24-27 age bracket who could keep the captaincy for 3 years minimum, preferably around 5.

McEvoy is a solid chance if he continues his steady improvement, while Armo and Gwilt could be outside chances if they have huge seasons. With that said, there's no obvious outstanding candidate and I think Riewoldt will probably have it until the end of 2014, unless he chooses to relinquish it and Dal could take it for a year or two until someone else steps up. Newnes has already been identified as a leader and has a cool head under pressure, which I think is extremely important for a captain.

My guess

2013: Riewoldt (30)
2014: Riewoldt (31)
2015: Dal Santo (31)
2016: McEvoy (27) or Newnes (24)

rexy
SS Life Member

Tom Simpkin my smokey for 2014/15, roo until then!

Maybe this year?
avid
Club Player

I'm happy with Riewoldt
I'd be thrilled if Lenny got a go again
Dal would be supportable.
I reckon Leigh Montagna would make a great spokesmen for the club, and represent the core of the St Kilda team really well.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Tom Simpkin my smokey for 2014/15...
Big call! At this point he hasn't even necessarily got a solid spot in the team.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I thought Roo said he was out for sure next season?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Brendon God... Oh no that's right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rooy next year and then Ben. Cant see how it could be anyone else based on age.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What about Armo? No chance? He is pleasant and speaks well.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:What about Armo? No chance? He is pleasant and speaks well.

I was about to say the same thing. He has just a little bit of Luke Hodge mongrel in him, throws himself in head first and plays like a captain. If he could break out in 2013 and get another 10 possessions per week on average he would be a shoe in. I would back him to step it up next year and I think he could be the inspiring type of leader. Big Mac doesn't do it for me for some reason, too nice and reserved. Armo I think could actually take his game to a new level with more responsibility.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I was about to say the same thing. He has just a little bit of Luke Hodge mongrel in him, throws himself in head first and plays like a captain. If he could break out in 2013 and get another 10 possessions per week on average he would be a shoe in. I would back him to step it up next year and I think he could be the inspiring type of leader. Big Mac doesn't do it for me for some reason, too nice and reserved. Armo I think could actually take his game to a new level with more responsibility.

Yep a shoe in if he gets an extra 10 possessions a game. What about Jack Steven if he gets an extra 8 a game?
Last edited by plugger66 on Sat 03 Nov 2012 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'd say that Nick will definately continue in the job next year and that at this early stage Ben looks the likely successor BUT, a lot can hapen between now and February 2014 so any names thrown up now would be somewhere between speculation and wild guessing !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Yep a shoe in if he gets an extra 10 possessions a game. What about Jack Steven if he gets an extra 8 a game?
Jack doesn't have the same hard edge and is a bit of a wayward character outside the club. I know your taking the piss but I expect Armo is at an age that he is ready to take off and post NR he should be at the right level of performance and age to take control. Hodge plays a tough leader who is demanding- I think he could do it. BM looks too nice and a bit quiet same as Dempster. I think the only thing missing from armo's game is just taking that extra 5 to 10 possies a week and he's arrived, I think 2013 he will and will become a top 5 player at the Saints. And what's your opinion- you like to bag everyone else for giving their ideas but seem devoid of any intelligence to create your own.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Jack doesn't have the same hard edge and is a bit of a wayward character outside the club. I know your taking the piss but I expect Armo is at an age that he is ready to take off and post NR he should be at the right level of performance and age to take control. Hodge plays a tough leader who is demanding- I think he could do it. BM looks too nice and a bit quiet same as Dempster. I think the only thing missing from armo's game is just taking that extra 5 to 10 possies a week and he's arrived, I think 2013 he will and will become a top 5 player at the Saints. And what's your opinion- you like to bag everyone else for giving their ideas but seem devoid of any intelligence to create your own.

I have already said Ben should be captain in 2014. Wow. Now I feel so intelligent.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[

I have already said Ben should be captain in 2014. Wow. Now I feel so intelligent.

What does Ben bring over Armo? He is still a player in development just like Armo. Some at the club have talked up his leadership qualities but some how with Ben I feel the club has talked up his great qualities to deflect criticism when his performances are a little average. They buy time for him by pointing out the unseen stuff. I like BM but can't say I have seen his great on field leadership. why diss others opinions when they are no less valid than yours? Is it because you are insecure and need people to agree unanimously with you or you feel a little emasculated?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[

What does Ben bring over Armo? He is still a player in development just like Armo. Some at the club have talked up his leadership qualities but some how with Ben I feel the club has talked up his great qualities to deflect criticism when his performances are a little average. They buy time for him by pointing out the unseen stuff. I like BM but can't say I have seen his great on field leadership. why diss others opinions when they are no less valid than yours? Is it because you are insecure and need people to agree unanimously with you or you feel a little emasculated?

Who said people had agree with me. I disagree with you. The club at the moment disagree with you. And the one thing I am not is insecure. I actually like it when certain people disagree with me. Its makes me think my opinion has even more merit.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Who said people had agree with me. I disagree with you. The club at the moment disagree with you. And the one thing I am not is insecure. I actually like it when certain people disagree with me. Its makes me think my opinion has even more merit.
You are closed minded then if you admit that your opinion is formed and inflexible. I actually think you just like to tow the party line and anything that steps from your rigid view point needs to be removed. You love to be contrary also with an aim of shitting people. You would have made a good soldier you don't question anything and fight with out any reserve.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You are closed minded then if you admit that your opinion is formed and inflexible. I actually think you just like to tow the party line and anything that steps from your rigid view point needs to be removed. You love to be contrary also with an aim of shitting people. You would have made a good soldier you don't question anything and fight with out any reserve.

Now that is a very contrary post. I tow the part line and am also contrary. Amazing stuff.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Now that is a very contrary post. I tow the part line and am also contrary. Amazing stuff.

Contrary to anyone else's opinion not the party line. Anyway enough of the amateur Freud. I sometimes find you offering an opinion of your own that isn't stupid or inanely similar to the accepted point of view and it's quite refreshing keep up the good work Plugger.