geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

geelong

geelong are doing what i had hoped we would do. wheeling and dealing to their advantage. great tarding on the surface of it.

#1 Ryder fan
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Re: geelong

Smacks of desperation apart from Caddy. Roll the dice for one more flag. McIntosh and Rivers are short term gains.

AP Erebus
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Smacks of desperation apart from Caddy. Roll the dice for one more flag. McIntosh and Rivers are short term gains.
To me it's just shoring up their list so the kids they are grooming to fill those roles have time to mature and learn.

Not a bad tactic imo.

off-topic: surely this is more appropriate in the opposition forum?

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Have mentioned that they are likely to lose players due to the recruiting.

Next week will be the big week.

patience.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I think they've done well..

McIntosh is a bit of a gamble, but if he gets on the park he will add to them, as he's straight away better than anything they have now (not including Vardy's potential)..

Rivers is a great get in a mature, solid team and, similarly to our Sam Fisher, is playing very consistent, mature and smart footy and will continue well into his early 30's... 3-4 years of good footy left IMO...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Have mentioned that they are likely to lose players due to the recruiting.

Next week will be the big week.

patience.
Good point...

Mitch Brown may go, injury plagued but has upside.. Who else will fall out the bottom??... Trent West may look elsewhere... I personally dont think much of him and would still prefer Hickey deal to work out..

Legendary
Club Player

They are going to lose at least 2 players next week from what I hear, both under 24.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:They are going to lose at least 2 players next week from what I hear, both under 24.
names?

evo
Club Player

With lists so tight and the prospect of a Suns/GWS domination looming, I think many clubs are thinking the window is only open for the next four years if that. I think Geelong and Collingwood are the big winners so far.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:With lists so tight and the prospect of a Suns/GWS domination looming, I think many clubs are thinking the window is only open for the next four years if that. I think Geelong and Collingwood are the big winners so far.
If we got Hickey and Brown then we would only need a caddy to break even...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Smacks of desperation apart from Caddy. Roll the dice for one more flag. McIntosh and Rivers are short term gains.
I suppose when you have 3 of the last 6 flags, you can afford to role the dice without much retribution from fans, if it fails it wouldn't really matter - free hit.

It makes sense for them on paper though in my mind… they have a gun FF entering his prime, Selwood and now Caddy the same, 2 good key backs in Lonergan & Taylor… Plus a few stars with about 1 or 2 decent seasons left - Chapman, Enright, Kelly, Johnson, Bartel…

The addition of a very good ruckman & CHB will make them a pretty competitive side next year.

suss
Club Player

If i had the best talent spotter in the land, i'd leave him with some draft picks to use.

They must think they're ready for another crack. I'm not so sure.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

suss wrote:If i had the best talent spotter in the land, i'd leave him with some draft picks to use.

They must think they're ready for another crack. I'm not so sure.
Or they might not rate the talent in the draft by the time their picks roll around?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

One must admire Geelong though. Prior to trade week/FA they set their heart on 3 players. Half way in they have all 3 and I must say haven't exactly paid overs for any of them.

On the other hand, we said we'd be aggressive, looking at Caddy, Hickey, Jacobs, Stevens, Brown. So far all we've done is spend our top pick on a relatively speculative state league fwd with some later picks with that...

So far, we are the big losers but still another week to save face...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we were usurped on Caddy because the Goddard compo was so up in the air and gave us less certainty in what we could offer. I think we still have time to make this one a winner. I like the Lee trade and we didn't see the Saad, Milera or Newnes deals coming. Perhaps their best work was to get Dunell onto the rookie list.

rexy
SS Life Member

evo wrote:With lists so tight and the prospect of a Suns/GWS domination looming, I think many clubs are thinking the window is only open for the next four years if that. I think Geelong and Collingwood are the big winners so far.
Collingwood have lost 2 best 22 players for a 30 year old with a glove!

Won't know their success until picks 17 and 20 are playing seniors, if thy do!

Maybe this year?
evo
Club Player

They can still trade those picks on. I don't think Daws is much of a loss.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I like what they've been able to achieve in this draft, with out giving to much away.

Caddy - Apparently has plenty of upside

McIntosh - Proven

Rivers - Proven

Compared to our only pick

Tom Lee - Untried and cost us pick 12(f*** I hope he makes it)

Legendary
Club Player

I say it again ... this time next week they will have 2-3 less blokes <24 on their list.

It's hardly planning for the future is it?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I say it again ... this time next week they will have 2-3 less blokes <24 on their list.

It's hardly planning for the future is it?
Aiming for their 4th flag in 7 years… I would be pretty happy if we were doing the same.

They can probably see the writing on the wall… GWS & GCS having unbeatable sides in 2-3 years time, they will dominate for a good while I think.

kimberly saint
Club Player

saintbob wrote:I like what they've been able to achieve in this draft, with out giving to much away.

McIntosh - Proven

Rivers - Proven

we got pick 24 with lee as well, wat happens if we get hicky with 24. So thats lee and hicky for 12 just maybe we could get 10 good solid years out of two key big men for 12 , not to bad. So many ifs and buts, mcintosh is injury prone rivers is old lee looks to be coming on could turn into a freak but could turn other way to

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:
saintbob wrote:I like what they've been able to achieve in this draft, with out giving to much away.

McIntosh - Proven

Rivers - Proven

we got pick 24 with lee as well, wat happens if we get hicky with 24. So thats lee and hicky for 12 just maybe we could get 10 good solid years out of two key big men for 12 , not to bad. So many ifs and buts, mcintosh is injury prone rivers is old lee looks to be coming on could turn into a freak but could turn other way to

if Lee had got to Geelong with their first pick and turns into the next jack Riewoldt or jack darling the forum would be in melt down over our incompetence. Caddy turns out to be another ordinary Salopek type and we give away our first pick for him the forum goes into melt down over our incompetence. I say we should just play the same team for the next 20 years and avoid all the stress of having to put ourselves on the chopping block.

Geelong have loaded up on good players but they could just as well be like Polo and Peake to us handy additions but taking away spots for developing kids that may have more upside. It all a balancing act and we went too far the way Geelong are going.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

They've had an outstanding trade period.

They get to go again for a flag next year whilst buying time for their kids to develop - and they've got plenty waiting to come through.

It pains me to say it but they manage their list in superb fashion.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think we were usurped on Caddy because the Goddard compo was so up in the air and gave us less certainty in what we could offer. I think we still have time to make this one a winner. I like the Lee trade and we didn't see the Saad, Milera or Newnes deals coming. Perhaps their best work was to get Dunell onto the rookie list.

Rubbish. The Geelong comp pick suited them. Why would a club be in a hurry and then dud themselves out of a better pick. The comp pick isnt having any effect on our trading IMO.