Dal trade discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dal trade discussion

Heard this on radio over weekend and was horrified tbh

At a time where we are bemoaning sh!te ball use.... we would be silly to even look at this wouldn't we?

I really like Dal Santo... hate to see him in a Bombers jumper.... but I guess that depends on whether Pelchens/Watters reckon he'll be round for our next shot

Gonna be an interesting trade period...

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal trade discussion

Teflon wrote:Heard this on radio over weekend and was horrified tbh

At a time where we are bemoaning sh!te ball use.... we would be silly to even look at this wouldn't we?

I really like Dal Santo... hate to see him in a Bombers jumper.... but I guess that depends on whether Pelchens/Watters reckon he'll be round for our next shot

Gonna be an interesting trade period...
It's a brave new world Teffs. As supporters, we are only just getting used to proper recruiting after the 08/09 disaster years.

Whatever happens it may turn out for the better. Pelchen is no dill. Maybe we will get some KPP's in return that we desperately need?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

It would want to be a pretty good pick,

Even then, I would vomit watching him in a bombers (or any other) jumper.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

One thing that we need to do as we restructure our list, is to retain our Club icons. They are the heart of the Club and models for the younger guys to build a new team around. No way for me, re. moving Dal on!

paddy
Club Player

i would prefer to lose BJ than Dal...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:It would want to be a pretty good pick
essendon's top pick will be, what, 10 or something? that really doesn't feel like quite enough.

first and second picks - 10 and 30? yeah, i reckon, even though i love the bloke and would hate to see him go. but if that left us with roughly 9, 10, 29, 30, 45 we'd be in a pretty solid position to get five good kids onto the list.

unfortunately we now know that he won't play in the next saints premiership, so if he stays at st kilda he will never play in a premiership at all. if he wanted to go i'd be hard pressed to tell him he couldn't.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:i would prefer to lose BJ than Dal...
Same but Bombers have nibbled at Dal before Ang god knows their midfield could use his class.... interesting listen to Watson suggest that with them drafting Daniher they may be in a position to off load a tall..... I rate Crameri

So their 1st pick and Crameri..... would be tempting.... for Goddard...and we'll keep dal!!

“Yeah….nah””
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
paddy wrote:i would prefer to lose BJ than Dal...
Same but Bombers have nibbled at Dal before Ang god knows their midfield could use his class.... interesting listen to Watson suggest that with them drafting Daniher they may be in a position to off load a tall..... I rate Crameri

So their 1st pick and Crameri..... would be tempting.... for Goddard...and we'll keep dal!!
He's only 186cm, and there is no way the Bombers would be letting him go.

That's the problem with these 'rich clubs', they all want the best players from other clubs, but don't want to give up anything remotely similar in value. They'll probably offer up something like Ricky Dyson and their 3rd round pick.

The other thing the Bombers will be keen to get done is Josh Caddy, which will take at least their 1st pick you would think.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

heard?

peeps ringing up?

muppet commentators?

or rumor has it he is being shopped around?

or wants to go elsewhere???

:?:

or just general discussion on that station that we could and should look at trading him???

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Our most skillful user of the footy since ..he was drafted.

You start off by cleaning out players who can't kick or handball properly. I won't name names but you all know who they are.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not Dal.

Finished top 3 in the b&f last year, was unlucky not to win it to be honest.

I realise we are probably going to make big moves this year, and I'll have to get my head around it, but ball use and classy disposal is not what we should be getting rid of....surely?

GRAMophone
Club Player

Yes - if this was the same discussion I heard it was Mark Robinson on SEN on Saturday.Was very earnest in his suggestion that we should consider trading Dal because he has serious currency. Horrified at the thought tbh :?

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:Yes - if this was the same discussion I heard it was Mark Robinson on SEN on Saturday.Was very earnest in his suggestion that we should consider trading Dal because he has serious currency. Horrified at the thought tbh :?
Correct and it wasn't rumour just discussion and opinion

Of course Robbo would live anything to bolster that pathetic Bombers midfield...

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I can understand how it would be attractive to trade with Bombers, that goes for most clubs, you'd reckon they'd be pretty desperate for mids/leadership.

Dal though?

Nah.

Reckon they'd like Joey, not that I'd condone that one either.

Didn't they go for Armo in 2010?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

These rumors about Dal going to the bummers seems to be an annual event. It would be crazy for us to even consider it.

I love this club
Buckets
SS Life Member

Have this sneaking suspicion we will see a big name or two on the trade table, wouldn't be surprised to hear either Dal or Joeys name being thrown around, doesn't mean they will go though!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Have this sneaking suspicion we will see a big name or two on the trade table, wouldn't be surprised to hear either Dal or Joeys name being thrown around, doesn't mean they will go though!
Good, they have currency and we need to start the process. Not that I dont think they can play and they have been tremendous servants of the club, but both seem a bit tired, a change of club for one or both could be a good thing.

Look, we have about 10 players 29 or over. I think Dal and Joey are in those 10.

If we dont start turning over the players with currency all ten will retire and we will look like the Bulldogs or GWS (but without the potential).

It is harsh and I understand the emotional attachment, but the times they are a changin' and our midfield needs a huge revamp.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Buckets
SS Life Member

JB I would only allow one, I would rather keep Dal, think Joey might be the one to go. IMO

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
shmic_s
Club Player

I agree with Buckets. Hang onto Dal.
Him and Fisher are super important no matter what direction we are heading in.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Trading with the dons is like doing the deed with a pro who has the clap.

You will pay too much , and get ongoing grief for years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
70s sainter
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:It would want to be a pretty good pick
essendon's top pick will be, what, 10 or something? that really doesn't feel like quite enough.

first and second picks - 10 and 30? yeah, i reckon, even though i love the bloke and would hate to see him go. but if that left us with roughly 9, 10, 29, 30, 45 we'd be in a pretty solid position to get five good kids onto the list.

unfortunately we now know that he won't play in the next saints premiership, so if he stays at st kilda he will never play in a premiership at all. if he wanted to go i'd be hard pressed to tell him he couldn't.
Dont teams like melbourne, bulldogs etc have an extra draft pick to activate immediately after their first pick?
That means this years draft is compramised yet again and we and essendon get pushed back.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ironically we could end up with a pick around #13, where we took him in the first place.

Wouldn't mind another 18YO Dal!

Realistically though, I don't think any players 29+ are worth a first round pick… it's a lot to pay for a player that may only get 2-3 years, and is probably past their best. You would have to be very close to a flag to do that. Ala Jolly - Pies, but awesome ruckmen are rarer than collingwood supports front teeth…

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

the issue with Dal is he does not break many hard tags

I am still getting over T Hunt getting the first two goals on Friday

A few times this year Dal has been found out in the big games

We need to get used to the fact that with free agency, players are going to be coming and going alot more

So if we have to we have to

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
noob
Club Player

Impossible to get a first round draft pick from essendon considering they'll need to use it on Daniher..

andrewg
Club Player

Dal won't be traded

We will put on the table
Jones
Gilbert
Montagna

Kosi might have to go to glue factory ( cheap Kosi shot but I couldn't help it)

Essendon can go suck it