Milne and OBrien investigation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne and OBrien investigation

:lol:
bergholt wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Was Malthouse fined for calling Milne "a rapist"?
was that discriminatory against rapists?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Haven't bothered reading the first 7 pages fully but I gather almost everyone agrees this is a complete overreaction and a load of absolute BS.

A couple of issues need to be raised

1) When did the umpire become the moral arbiter of what can and can't be said on the field, when it is NOT vilification?

2) Buckley is correct - it is NOT vilification as the player was not offended or complained.

There is a bigger issue here. it is the fact that because the umpires are a law unto themselves that they now think they are a mouthpiece for society. Margetts had no right to cast a moral judgement on two other individuals. Because the umpires are untouchable, they think they can intervene in anything they like.

Margetts was the umpire who made the absolutelt terrible mistake that decided the outcome of the match on Friday. From all reports he was instrumental in the poor last quarter decision making.

But it has been reported that he will not be dropped from unpiring this weekend.

it seems obvious that to take the heat off this incredibly arrogant decision the AFL have trumped up this charge so the attention of the ADHD media and supporters will be diverted from their arrogant, and incompetent decision.

Margetts should be dropped, and should be held to account for once more sanatising the game.

Along with Jack Ziebel case this is making the game as sanatised and boring as an Andy Murray game of Tennis.

Well F@ck the AFL, and f@ck Margetts the idiot moral crusader. I am with Fireman. This insanity has to stop.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
howlinwolf
Club Player

Unfortunately it isn't going to stop. It's a juggernaut that doesn't involve sensibilites. The world is obsessed with political correctness to the point we will have gay marriages accepted.
I don't care what they call their union but it isn't marriage.
The Oxford Dictionary defines marriage as between man and woman. Next we'll be calling an apple an orange due to PC.
Anyway at the least we need to demand consistency.
Every time an umpire hears anything similar, including calling a player a rapist, they need to report it.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Are the AFL going to have enough security around the grounds to take the names and numbers of the supporters that vilify Milne each and every week? He is abused from the crowd AND has been abused by opposition coaches but that is fine? Seriously political correctness gone mad. If the player wasn't upset, the umpire had no right to get involved in this situation. There has to be a line drawn on this. We are moving into very murky territory on this one......

The next time I hear even so much as boo from an opposition supporter around me in regards to Milne's reputation, I am going to contact security and the AFL immediately to ensure that the said supporter is fined $3,000. Seems only fair.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Haven't bothered reading the first 7 pages fully but I gather almost everyone agrees this is a complete overreaction and a load of absolute BS.

A couple of issues need to be raised

1) When did the umpire become the moral arbiter of what can and can't be said on the field, when it is NOT vilification?

2) Buckley is correct - it is NOT vilification as the player was not offended or complained.

There is a bigger issue here. it is the fact that because the umpires are a law unto themselves that they now think they are a mouthpiece for society. Margetts had no right to cast a moral judgement on two other individuals. Because the umpires are untouchable, they think they can intervene in anything they like.

Margetts was the umpire who made the absolutelt terrible mistake that decided the outcome of the match on Friday. From all reports he was instrumental in the poor last quarter decision making.

But it has been reported that he will not be dropped from unpiring this weekend.

it seems obvious that to take the heat off this incredibly arrogant decision the AFL have trumped up this charge so the attention of the ADHD media and supporters will be diverted from their arrogant, and incompetent decision.

Margetts should be dropped, and should be held to account for once more sanatising the game.
Very good post JB.

IMO the umpire has decided that Milne is a bad person and needs to be punished. So he has taken it out on the entire club and its supporters. If there's ever a case for an umpire to be dropped this is it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:I don't care what they call their union but it isn't marriage.
The Oxford Dictionary defines marriage as between man and woman. Next we'll be calling an apple an orange due to PC.
you realise that makes no sense, right?

felix
Club Player

If your calling some one a friggin homo your using it as in insult and what your saying is there is something wrong with being a homo . If you think there is something wrong with being a homo your homophobic . Being homophobic in the work place is discrimination.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Oh yes, George Orwell is alive and well in the bowels of AFL house.
One can only imagine the things Milney has been called on the field over the years and not once has he complained or cried about it.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
So not only do we now have AFL umpires being moral arbiters, but we also have the Oxford dictionary :roll:

FFS what the F*** is happening to AFL football?

Is calling someone a homo offensive? Maybe.

Was the player offended? No

Did he complain? No.

So who said the umpire has the right to not only make a subjective judgemental morality call - AND influence the game by giving the unoffended player a fifty metre penalty?

Margetts should be reprimanded and dropped. But will Geischen do that?

Oh no. They will give poor Margetts a cuddle and tell the spineless showboating princess that he is the ants pants and the best ever.

Fkn piss weak AFL.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
gringo
Saintsational Legend

The greatest irony is Milne is vilified every week by supporters and players and even coaches yet he is an unfashionable victim. The abuse he gets is malicious, hateful and designed to induce poor performance through anxiety. If he had been charged he probably would have had less punishment than he has received over his career. The hanging sword of did he or didn't he is more of a punishment than what he would have received from a court.

The manner of assault he was accused of is very hard to prosecute because they need to prove that he knowingly tricked the victim into a mistaken identity consent. That's why the prosecution didn't bother taking it on. It's very hard especially when alcohol is involved to get even a clear idea of how events unfolded. He would have likely walked from court cleared but as it stands he's eternally judged by this event.

The AFL will never be brave enough nor the players association to stand up and say enough is enough because they want to portray their players in a caring sharing way. Milne is more of a victim than the pin up boy for all things PC and spiritual will ever be. He must have an incredible strength to keep fronting up Milney because he must get stung when it all comes around again and his kids start copping talk from their school mates.

It's a very embarrassing event in that an umpire has over stepped the line between sports umpire and moral arbiter and the AFL have backed him in rather than thought it through. They have actually damaged popular opinion and caused a backlash against the people they are apparently supporting. Anti PC sentiment is now biting them back.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I’ve had a chance to sleep on this and agree with all of those who are saying the AFL has gone mad.

The headlines scream “Milne’s homophobic rant” but really it’s the AFL (and the complaining ump) who are being homophobic.

If Milney had’ve used the “F” word then fair enough. But he didn’t.

Now I don’t know whether Harry is gay or not but that’s not relevant here. As far as I know it’s offensive to call an African American the “N” word but it’s not offensive to refer to them as African Americans. And I don’t think it’s offensive to refer to a non African American as an African American.

If you’re gay surely it’s not offensive to be called a “Homo”. And if you’re not gay then it’s simply a silly comment aimed at putting you off your game.

Answer this: If a player had “come out” and you then called him a “Hetero” would the AFL also step in? Of course they wouldn't.

It’s the AFL that has put this on the front page and who have made “Homo” a terrible slur. Something so horrific that they have had to drag tank boy away from his duties to head up some huge enquiry. They are the ones who, by their actions, are saying that “Homo” is a horrible thing. They are, IMO, being Homophobic.

This fuss is amazing when you think of the Government funded ABC and their commissioning of various works by Chris Lilley, most of which rely on characters playfully ribbing their mates with terms such as “Homo”. Obviously no one in Canberra has seen fit to haul the ABC over the coals for this, but then again we’re talking about a level of power one rung below the AFL.

Lets’s hope no one at the AFL, including umpire Margetts, ever accidentally flicks across to re-runs of Summer Heights High or the Angry Boys or they may have a total breakdown. :roll:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:If your calling some one a friggin homo your using it as in insult and what your saying is there is something wrong with being a homo . If you think there is something wrong with being a homo your homophobic . Being homophobic in the work place is discrimination.
So what? It was directed at someone who isn't a homosexual, who wasn't offended, and didn't want to make a complaint.

How then is that vilification. You cant discriminate if the person is part of the group you allege to be discriminating against.

A bit of clear thinking please. :roll:

Lance or James??

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:My wife's brother is gay and I've met a few of his gay friends.

A few years, I was talking to this guy who followed the footy. This was during the Ben Cousins stuff and all the gay guys loved him!
Anyway, this guy got a text from his gay mate in Melbourne. He looked at his phone and started laughing. The text said, 'guess who I slept with last night - KOUTA'!

I thought that was hilarious! Also, they all said that the swimmer Thorpe was gay but they werent sure why he hadn't come out
That's actually a really lovely anecdote. Makes issues like this one seem so much more interesting and bearable. Maybe someone’s got other stories from the toilets at Tramp Nightclub?

Seriously I reckon women get ripped off sucking up all that stuff in Who Weekly, and Woman’s Weekly, and Women’s Day. I for one was devastated when Murdoch shut down "News of the world"

As I say to my wife when shes bags me for following an AFL club and all that goes with, "It's much more entertaining than all of that Hollywood crap you swallow".

Where's our next Kim Dutthie!
Last edited by Cairnsman on Fri 10 Aug 2012 10:26am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Where's our next Kim Dutthie!
Kim can also be a boy's name. Just sayin :wink:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: Where's our next Kim Dutthie!
Kim can also be a boy's name. Just sayin :wink:
Hermaphrodite?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I’ve had a chance to sleep on this and agree with all of those who are saying the AFL has gone mad.

The headlines scream “Milne’s homophobic rant” but really it’s the AFL (and the complaining ump) who are being homophobic.

If Milney had’ve used the “F” word then fair enough. But he didn’t.

Now I don’t know whether Harry is gay or not but that’s not relevant here. As far as I know it’s offensive to call an African American the “N” word but it’s not offensive to refer to them as African Americans. And I don’t think it’s offensive to refer to a non African American as an African American.

If you’re gay surely it’s not offensive to be called a “Homo”. And if you’re not gay then it’s simply a silly comment aimed at putting you off your game.

Answer this: If a player had “come out” and you then called him a “Hetero” would the AFL also step in? Of course they wouldn't.

It’s the AFL that has put this on the front page and who have made “Homo” a terrible slur. Something so horrific that they have had to drag tank boy away from his duties to head up some huge enquiry. They are the ones who, by their actions, are saying that “Homo” is a horrible thing. They are, IMO, being Homophobic.

This fuss is amazing when you think of the Government funded ABC and their commissioning of various works by Chris Lilley, most of which rely on characters playfully ribbing their mates with terms such as “Homo”. Obviously no one in Canberra has seen fit to haul the ABC over the coals for this, but then again we’re talking about a level of power one rung below the AFL.

Lets’s hope no one at the AFL, including umpire Margetts, ever accidentally flicks across to re-runs of Summer Heights High or the Angry Boys or they may have a total breakdown. :roll:

The problem is that Chris Lilley is the representation of the true Australia. If you hear people speak in the real world it's more Chris Lilley than Adrian Anderson. The problem with going too far with the PC stuff is when people go "hang on this is stupid" and you actually get people thinking this is all pretending and I'm not a bad person. They are getting a backlash now and undoing a lot of the good things they have done. The AFL publicised the issue as a way of looking like they are being proactive and inclusive but have probably done more damage than good.

I'm a big lefty and have a strong belief in allowing human rights for all but sometimes the idiots in power don't get it. It show not reality and as such they have probably burnt heaps. People are sympathetic in general to minorities in Australia but like when some Imam comes out demanding Sharia law in Australia, some thing just make the masses recoil. Poorly thought out grandstanding.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

wow cant even sledge anymore because some one might get upset... THATS THE POINT TO PUT SOME ONE OFF... cant swear, cant talk about family, can call some one a homo? dont even try meantion a racial joke.... what are they meant to say? you might miss but you might get the goal? so they dont hurt their feelings.. but then that might still be to offensive as there is the possibility they might miss the goal

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:wow cant even sledge anymore because some one might get upset... THATS THE POINT TO PUT SOME ONE OFF... cant swear, cant talk about family, can call some one a homo? dont even try meantion a racial joke.... what are they meant to say? you might miss but you might get the goal? so they dont hurt their feelings.. but then that might still be to offensive as there is the possibility they might miss the goal
Suppose it's back to "chewy on ya boot". :(

Of course that may lead to an increase in children eating chewing gum which may lead to all sorts of obesity and other health issues which may lead to the AFL holding an enquiry headed by Tank Boy which will ...............

markp
Saintsational Legend

Can they call someone a 'shiella', or 'mental', or 'short-arse', or 'baldy'?... all are technically vilification.

Homo?

What a joke.

And Harry O was going out with that Fuzzy chick for a long time, so while context may be relevant I don't think it comes into play here.

markp
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Makes sense to me... he's an idiot.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: The problem is that Chris Lilley is the representation of the true Australia. If you hear people speak in the real world it's more Chris Lilley than Adrian Anderson. The problem with going too far with the PC stuff is when people go "hang on this is stupid" and you actually get people thinking this is all pretending and I'm not a bad person. They are getting a backlash now and undoing a lot of the good things they have done. The AFL publicised the issue as a way of looking like they are being proactive and inclusive but have probably done more damage than good.

I'm a big lefty and have a strong belief in allowing human rights for all but sometimes the idiots in power don't get it. It show not reality and as such they have probably burnt heaps. People are sympathetic in general to minorities in Australia but like when some Imam comes out demanding Sharia law in Australia, some thing just make the masses recoil. Poorly thought out grandstanding.
+1 gringo.

I usually recoil at the kneejerk "political correctness gone mad" retort that automatically comes from a bigots mouth when someone like Andrew Bolt discriminates on the basis of skin colour

"Things Bogans Like" nailed it

http://thingsboganslike.com/2009/12/03/ ... -gone-mad/

However like you gringo, I think this issue is way too far and way too controlling. As you say it undoes much of the good that has been achieved.

I like the fact that Milne is being sent to a re-education camp - oops I mean course, so he can become a non thinking conformist sanatised automaton.

The politburo at Soviet AFL orthodoxy will be well pleased with their new apparatchik.

All hail dear leader Demetriou :shock:

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Can they call someone a 'shiella', or 'mental', or 'short-arse', or 'baldy'?... all are technically vilification.

Hey I'm a short-arsed, baldy, mental shiela, you owe me (lets see,,,1,2,3,4, insults that Margetts would be scarlett with embarrassment about)

$12,000.

Thats right cough up you Homo.

Aw s.hit, make it $9,000 then

Lance or James??

markp
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
markp wrote:Can they call someone a 'shiella', or 'mental', or 'short-arse', or 'baldy'?... all are technically vilification.

Hey I'm a short-arsed, baldy, mental shiela, you owe me (lets see,,,1,2,3,4, insults that Margetts would be scarlett with embarrassment about)

$12,000.

Thats right cough up you Homo.

Aw s.hit, make it $9,000 then
You cheeky bugger.... ooops!... $12k :oops:

SuperDuper
Club Player

The real question is, did the umpire take offense at Milne at then become biased against the saints after that?????
That is the most important question. Umpires are supposed to remain unbiased and treat each decision on merits.
Look at the umpiring after the Milne swearing incident. Was it fair? Was it unbiased?

Umpires allowing these things to bias them is a far bigger issue than this rubbish about what Milne said that did not even offend Obrien

Superstar
Club Player

gringo wrote:
saintbrat wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said O'Brien wasn't affected by the remark by Milne.

"Harry straight after the game wanted nothing to do with it (making any complaint)," Buckley told radio station 3AW on Thursday night.

"He wasn't offended. He wasn't affected by it.

"Our understanding is it's not vilification unless the person receiving the comments is concerned by it.

"I think we're all concerned by the slur itself and the fact it gets out in the open forum because people are going to be offended when a comment like that gets out in the open forum.

"But for Harry's part it didn't affect him on the night."
"........but we (Collingwood FC) needed something to distract the public from our player turning up to training under the influence of unknown substances and we hate Milne so we chucked it out there."

Hmmmm.... I actually agree with everything that Buckley said here.....