Most one sided player in AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Most one sided player in AFL

Sorry if this is seen as Raph bashing, I just saw it as an interesting stat. Champion Data revealed this week that Raph Clarke is the most one sided player in the AFL. Since 2010, every single one of his 211 kicks have been on his right! Pretty damning stat I reckon... Sam Mitchell is the most two sided player, he is pretty much sitting on 50/50 with each foot.

I'd love to work for CD and watch footy constantly to get these stats!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Most one sided player in AFL

Michael Long played for over 10 years without ever kicking on his right foot, or over 35 metres.

St Ick wrote:Sorry if this is seen as Raph bashing, I just saw it as an interesting stat. Champion Data revealed this week that Raph Clarke is the most one sided player in the AFL. Since 2010, every single one of his 211 kicks have been on his right! Pretty damning stat I reckon...
really? i don't reckon raph's disposal is seen as that bad. on the other hand, sammy gilbert's is seen as being shocking but he wasn't mentioned in that brief piece.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Sorry if this is seen as Raph bashing, I just saw it as an interesting stat. Champion Data revealed this week that Raph Clarke is the most one sided player in the AFL. Since 2010, every single one of his 211 kicks have been on his right! Pretty damning stat I reckon... Sam Mitchell is the most two sided player, he is pretty much sitting on 50/50 with each foot.

I'd love to work for CD and watch footy constantly to get these stats!!
In that time CJ's used his right foot once,. Let's get rid of him too.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Fazer
Club Player

Rod Carter was one sided

noddy04
Club Player

Fazer wrote:Rod Carter was one sided
LOL old sideneck

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Wait a sec, I never mentioned poor disposal or getting rid of anyone. I kept it short to save confusion but obviously not short enough. Was purely passing on a stat I read about a saints player on a Saints forum that hadnt been discussed before. Make of the stats what you will, personally I was suprised as I never saw Raph as such a one sided player. Ffs we need not be so precious...

Strength through Loyalty
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Wait a sec, I never mentioned poor disposal or getting rid of anyone. I kept it short to save confusion but obviously not short enough. Was purely passing on a stat I read about a saints player on a Saints forum that hadnt been discussed before. Make of the stats what you will, personally I was suprised as I never saw Raph as such a one sided player. Ffs we need not be so precious...
you did say "pretty damning stat".

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

"pretty damning stat". You said it yourself.
SInce I began writing at the age of 3, I have used my right hand 99% of the time.
I admire you for learning to use both hands to sign your name and write.
You, sir, are a legend.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I swear this forum is getting weirder and weirder. Once again, not sure where I said we should get rid of him or his disposal (on his right) is poor, damning stat does not imply either. Do you guys write for the Herald-Sun because you have vivid imaginations...

Strength through Loyalty
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Interesting. You don't tend to notice one-sidedness so much with right footers.

On Raph, it looks like his papers may have been stamped. Marked down for his embarrassing errors while the good things he contributes seem to have gone unnoticed.

A victory for the haters unfortunately, who howl and boo every time he goes hear it. Must have been hard for him listening to such hate from his own fans.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Interesting. You don't tend to notice one-sidedness so much with right footers.
Been saying the same thing for years. It's always the lefties with no right foot that stand out and get commented on.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo had a great few years where he could run the lines and kick long; or take a mark, play on, hit a 5 cent coin with the Sherrin from 50 metres.
Then, teams worked out how to corral him, as he couldn't swap to the right and got stifled; I recall him getting tackled heaps of times in the back line,
giving crucial goals to the enemy.

Now he seems to have worked thru that. Credit to Watters and all the other coaches to encourage him and stay positive.
I would guess he has worked his ring off to maintain his value to the team.

Looks like Raph is another Troy Schwarz, with some fans baying for his blood, others highlighting his good points and supporting the man.

The coaches will not pay attention to social media, or people in the supermarket checkout, telling them "Raph should be traded"
any more than Gina Reinhardt takes notice of her hairdresser telling her to give more money to her children.

If they can get Gilbo through a patch, I'm sure they have a process for Raph as well. They are professional coaches.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who has ever been to training will know that Raph can kick on his left. I've seen him do it many times in games. I can't explain the stats as described, except that, when confidence is down, the opposite foot gets "put away". Did anyone notice Nick's 40 metre pass on the left last week? Kosi is just as good, as is Lenny, Brendon, Stephen (for goal) and Farren. Tom Simpkin isn't too bad nor is the other Nick. After that, the ranks begin to thin. Eight years ago more than 80% of our team kicked both feet very well. But, we couldn't get them all out onto the park at the crucial time.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

That stat is clearly racist.

Bring back the Lockett era
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

we really shouldn't take sides on this one !

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Raph is a no-sided player, and it appears the coach and match committee have finally worked that out, thank goodness.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Freebird
Club Player

James Hird was one sided..does that make him overrated? Badly flawed?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Raph is a no-sided player, and it appears the coach and match committee have finally worked that out, thank goodness.
He may get a reprieve in a different role, "Whitey", so hold off on the champagne

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hate disrespectful "fans".

andrewg
Club Player

Who is this Raph you speak of?

realdeal
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Raph is a no-sided player, and it appears the coach and match committee have finally worked that out, thank goodness.
He may get a reprieve in a different role, "Whitey", so hold off on the champagne
"Whitey" is a long time Raph hater, we don't need the match committee to know that.

Whether he stays on next year or not its supporters like this that we don't need. More than once ive had to have words with fellow saint supporters about Raph bashing. I express disapproval with our players but we all know the Raph hate goes beyond civil.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The champagne went warm on Raph a long time ago. Are you suggesting I'm racist for pointing out the obvious that Raph is not up to AFl standard? If you are, you are a very sad little individual. I think he's no good based on my observations of his play over the nine years he has consistently displayed his incompetence. You are a tool of the highest order, big carl. Trying to take the populist stand. Raph's incompetence as a player has nothing to do with the colour of his skin. It has to do with his lack of ability and application.

hAyES
Club Player

:lol: :lol:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
"Whitey" is a long time Raph hater, we don't need the match committee to know that.

Whether he stays on next year or not its supporters like this that we don't need. More than once ive had to have words with fellow saint supporters about Raph bashing. I express disapproval with our players but we all know the Raph hate goes beyond civil.
I don't hate anyone. I admire anyone who is good enough to make it onto an AFL list. My judgement of Raph is based on his exposed form. Eighty five games in nine years probably says it all. As for knobs like you "real deal", we certainly need more of your kind. Clueless, emotive and willing to brand someone a "hater" over an opinion about a footballer. Perhaps your response to an opinion that differs from your own may suggest that you are an angry little hater yourself.