Daniel Merrett thug.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Merrett thug.....

Eastern wrote:The rules don't allow for a 50m penalty. This changed a few years ago. It was definately a free kick and almost definately a report !!
Just a question - in line of Perfectionist's explanation - is there not a 50m for infringing when you have no possible chance of taking the mark - like when then the ball is knocked out of your possession after you have taken the mark - like say - ummm - CJ's mark in the dying minutes of the game?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:He is looking at a 2-3 week holiday though Merritt.
But not a 50 metre penalty according to some :roll:

Under what rules can a 50 be paid as well as a free. It is free then another infringement to get a 50. I saw one infringement, not 2.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Eastern wrote:The rules don't allow for a 50m penalty. This changed a few years ago. It was definately a free kick and almost definately a report !!
Just a question - in line of Perfectionist's explanation - is there not a 50m for infringing when you have no possible chance of taking the mark - like when then the ball is knocked out of your possession after you have taken the mark - like say - ummm - CJ's mark in the dying minutes of the game?
I couldnt get over the boos from the crowd, the protests from Rockliff and the commentators on the one. Was as clear as day that CJ marked it. Some very very weird decisions both ways last night with ths umps.

Ive seen free kick and 50 paid before, but no, free kick and report only in that case. The rule that states its an automatic 50 when the receiver is held off the ball seems to have been forgotten though!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Under what rules can a 50 be paid as well as a free. It is free then another infringement to get a 50. I saw one infringement, not 2.
Awesome rules we have.

You can kill someone and it's just a free kick but inch over the mark and it's 50.

Wake up rules committee.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Awesome rules we have.

You can kill someone and it's just a free kick but inch over the mark and it's 50.

Wake up rules committee.

Tell me you are joking. How does an umpire decide if it is 50. If he really hurts someone do you get 2 50's? You get a free, it then can go to the MRP. Wake up rules committee, surely it should be wake up supporter.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.[/quote]

Tell me you are joking. How does an umpire decide if it is 50. If he really hurts someone do you get 2 50's? You get a free, it then can go to the MRP. Wake up rules committee, surely it should be wake up supporter.[/quote]

How about one 50 toss bag?

Was clearly a very hard hit worthy of 50. Only you are too blind or up the AFL's arse to see that. Maybe watch it again.

One 50 is always enough.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.

Tell me you are joking. How does an umpire decide if it is 50. If he really hurts someone do you get 2 50's? You get a free, it then can go to the MRP. Wake up rules committee, surely it should be wake up supporter.[/quote]

Was clearly a very hard hit worthy of 50. Only you are too blind or up the AFL's arse to see that. Maybe watch it again.

One 50 is always enough.[/quote]

Please learn the rules. It helps you enjoy the game. So a hard hit is 2 frees, one for the free and then 50. Interesting. What if it is an even harder hit. Is it 3 frees? The rule book is quite large so just go the section called i dont understand the rules.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Oh plugs. Go to the rule book and read the section about changing the rules if a better intreptation can be found.

And yes, they do sometimes change the rules. Enjoy your read.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Oh plugs. Go to the rule book and read the section about changing the rules if a better intreptation can be found.

And yes, they do sometimes change the rules. Enjoy your read.

Of course they do. They had a rule that said when reported you also got 50. They got rid of it because sometimes the report was thrown out but the side still got penalised. They have never had a rule that says a really bad free is a free plus 50 and thank god for that.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

On the hit ... there is no provision in the rules AFAIK to pay both a free kick AND 50, so the umpire got it right.

On Merrett ... he is exactly what we need to recruit ... a KPB who can swing forward, and big and strong enough to take the monster KPFs that we struggle against. Obviously has a big of mongrel in him too.

I think he's out of contract this year ...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

At first i thought Roo marked and then was hit, earning himself a 50. Replay showed no mark and a free for the hit.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:On the hit ... there is no provision in the rules AFAIK to pay both a free kick AND 50, so the umpire got it right.

On Merrett ... he is exactly what we need to recruit ... a KPB who can swing forward, and big and strong enough to take the monster KPFs that we struggle against. Obviously has a big of mongrel in him too.

I think he's out of contract this year ...
Great post agree entirely. Always thought it a shame we missed out on Cam Mooney when we had a change in about 2003 or so.

Merrett would be ideal. Still a cheap shot, but would rather him be doing that to opposition players.

Saintspremiers, give up, you, as usual, are making a fool of yourself :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.

Tell me you are joking. How does an umpire decide if it is 50. If he really hurts someone do you get 2 50's? You get a free, it then can go to the MRP. Wake up rules committee, surely it should be wake up supporter.

One 50 is always enough.[/quote]

Please learn the rules. It helps you enjoy the game. So a hard hit is 2 frees, one for the free and then 50. Interesting. What if it is an even harder hit. Is it 3 frees? The rule book is quite large so just go the section called i dont understand the rules.[/quote]

But a couple of weeks ago I saw the ump pay a 50 when CJ smashed a bloke in the head in a marking contest. It wasn't late it was exactly the same time and no mark had been paid so why wasn't that just a free kick? That's why people get so confused, there is no consistency at all in the way games are umpired

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.

One 50 is always enough.

Please learn the rules. It helps you enjoy the game. So a hard hit is 2 frees, one for the free and then 50. Interesting. What if it is an even harder hit. Is it 3 frees? The rule book is quite large so just go the section called i dont understand the rules.[/quote]

But a couple of weeks ago I saw the ump pay a 50 when CJ smashed a bloke in the head in a marking contest. It wasn't late it was exactly the same time and no mark had been paid so why wasn't that just a free kick? That's why people get so confused, there is no consistency at all in the way games are umpired[/quote]

If you are right that is called a mistake otherwise he paid the mark first.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

"Where a field Umpire has awarded a Free Kick or a Mark to a Player,
the field Umpire shall also award a Fifty-Metre Penalty in favour of that
Player if the field Umpire is of the opinion that any Player or Official
from the opposing side:
(a) has encroached the mark;
(b) engages in Time Wasting;
(c) uses abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language
towards an Umpire;
(d) behaves in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner
towards an Umpire or disputes the decision of an Umpire;
(e) enters the Protected Area, except when the Player is
accompanying or following within 5 metres of their opponent;
(f) has not returned the football directly and on the full to the
Player awarded the Free Kick or Mark;
(g) engages in any other conduct for which a Free Kick would
ordinarily be awarded, in accordance with 16.7 (b);
(h) when not in the immediate contest, holds a Player after that
Player has Marked the football or who has been awarded a
Free Kick; or
(i) a Player in the contest who unreasonably holds a Player after
that Player has Marked the football or who has been awarded
a Free Kick"

ace
Saintsational Legend

Thug yes, but not all his fault. Brisbane are coached to be thugs by M Voss.
We don't blame fighting dogs for their aggressive behaviour we blame the owner.
M Voss even thugged his brother in his playing days.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

This

If Rooey had marked the ball and then Merritt cannoned into him it would have been a 50 metre penalty. Rooey didn't mark the ball so its a Free Kick ONLY for a "push" in the back (and a bit of thinking for the MRP) !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

another thread ruined

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Under what rules can a 50 be paid as well as a free. It is free then another infringement to get a 50. I saw one infringement, not 2.
Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.[/quote]

Well actually you can kill someone and not give away a free or a 50 metre penalty.
It is all in the way you do it.

However a judge may later give you a 50 year penalty.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: Under what rules can a 50 be paid as well as a free. It is free then another infringement to get a 50. I saw one infringement, not 2.
Awesome rules we have.

Wake up rules committee.
Well actually you can kill someone and not give away a free or a 50 metre penalty.
It is all in the way you do it.

However a judge may later give you a 50 year penalty.[/quote]

What's stupid about the rules is this type of incident was the reason the 15 metre penalty went to 50 . to stop players making others " earning " there marks !
Players in the 70s & 80s used to get crunched like that all the time .

In red white and black from 73
Winmar
Club Player

Good point. A similar offence in soccer would result in a free kick and a yellow card, but the AFL rules don't include that sort of provision.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Did anybody else notice Merrett getting in Dal's ear when he hurt his knee? He was in clear pain clutching his knee and Merrett was getting stuck into him.

Enjoy your week off jerk.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:]
Look pal, you're a moron - clearly the idiot of the board. But I will explain to you in simple language, although I'm pretty sure that, being a moron, you won't understand it. A 50 metre penalty is paid AFTER the whistle has blown. Note, I put AFTER in capital letters, for the moron type idiot who can't read or think. So, if a player, marks the ball (whistle blows) and THEN is infringed - 50 metres. If a player has marked the ball (whistle has blown) and then a player infringes - 50 metres. But, if attempting to mark the ball (NOTE: for the idiot moron, no whistle), and is infringed, then that is a FREE. Otherwise, to moron idiots, called a free kick. A FREE KICK. Not free AND 50. Clear moron idiot?

a tad harsh on thee boy....but correct all the same....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
perfectionist wrote:]
Look pal, you're a moron - clearly the idiot of the board. But I will explain to you in simple language, although I'm pretty sure that, being a moron, you won't understand it. A 50 metre penalty is paid AFTER the whistle has blown. Note, I put AFTER in capital letters, for the moron type idiot who can't read or think. So, if a player, marks the ball (whistle blows) and THEN is infringed - 50 metres. If a player has marked the ball (whistle has blown) and then a player infringes - 50 metres. But, if attempting to mark the ball (NOTE: for the idiot moron, no whistle), and is infringed, then that is a FREE. Otherwise, to moron idiots, called a free kick. A FREE KICK. Not free AND 50. Clear moron idiot?

a tad harsh on thee boy....but correct all the same....

Do you us anything at all.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Downgraded to negligent. Free to play next week.
Back in for verdict. Merrett not reckless, Tribunal satisfied it was a negligent act. penalty 93.75 points and a reprimand

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"