Brett Peake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brett Peake

skeptic wrote:I always personally felt he was overrated. Cemented his spot in the team in the second half of 2010 and was playing well but really dropped his bundle in 2 of the worst G/F performances of all time.

IMO since then he really hasn't been much chop. People talk about his turn around last season but to me he was very overrated. His performances in his better game were on the minmum side of what is to be expected of a player of his talent and he wasn't consistent enough or damaging enough IMO, to persevere with in a developmental sense.

My feeling is right now, he may be better in the short term than about 20% of the list, but is clearly on a downward spiral with no real prospects of major sustained improvement. Just another of our underperforming core that is not good enough.

IMO should not get another game unless he really really steps up. Ok games in the VFL are not enough for Peake... he needs 30+ damaging possessions and needs to forcibly take his spot ahead of Newnes, Sipposs, Cripps etc I would have cut him.
Agree 100%.

Cant tackle.
Cant win a contested possession.
Gets thrown out of every contest.
Cant kick.

Whats worse is that his 'breaking the lines' is extremely overrated. He looks like a player that is should be able to do that - But doesnt. Its a myth.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Winmar wrote:What sort of junk food does he eat? Does he post about it on Twitter?
Surf and No Turf ?

busso mick
Club Player

samoht wrote:
Winmar wrote:What sort of junk food does he eat? Does he post about it on Twitter?
Surf and No Turf ?
Pasties?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

goes to ground far too often and easily..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I remember the threads about him last year with all the posts saying how good he was playing. He has played some very good games for us in both 2010 and 2011. He dropped off last year and and it seemed to start when everyone said he was playing really well. He may not be patrt of our long term plans but it doesn't mean he hasn't played some good games for us..

Looks like Watters is prepared to drop "fringe" players quickly if they do not measure up. It looks like he doesn't stuff around and that is a good sign

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
felix
Club Player

Trianidis clone

felix
Club Player

Must be hard to switch on after a laid back surfing soul session sharing waves with mates getting tubed slashing a
Few cutbacks feeling the spray of a big green wave stroke the face as the sun sets and dolphins play around you, then you
Have to run onto the footy field and try and smash someone .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Must be hard to switch on after a laid back surfing soul session sharing waves with mates getting tubed slashing a
Few cutbacks feeling the spray of a big green wave stroke the face as the sun sets and dolphins play around you, then you
Probably a few cones as well

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Must be hard to switch on after a laid back surfing soul session sharing waves with mates getting tubed slashing a

Clearly you've never surfed at D-Bah or Snapper on a Saturday morning...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Austinnn
Club Player

I think Watters' is prepared to back his up and comers over the 2nd tier of seniors at the start of the season when we have some easier games, then as the kids get tired and/or lose form and the grapple for ladder positions becomes more ruthless, he'll probably bring in some more experience; I'd be surprised if guys like Peake, Polo, Gram and Clarke haven't been told to keep themselves revved up for the 2nd half of the season.

If the kids do really well or if the above players chose to not bust a gut to get that game, that's their choice, but they've got to earn it now, really earn it. We'll see how motivated they are, because if they do get in and perform, that experience could be valuable at finals time.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Has more talent than most on the list and is a gifted athlete, but doesn't seem to have the focus required. He could play out the year in the seniors averaging 16 possessions and having a good game every 3-4 weeks but we're much better off playing a kid who can develop into a more consistent player. Milera has already shown he can be much more damaging in a similar role and Siposs/Cripps/Winmar should have first dibs on any running mid/flanker spots up for grabs.

The only way Peake should get another gig is if he is consistently tearing it up in the VFL (which he probably will do) and the kids aren't performing or are injured.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

What is so wrong with a player tweeting?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

He can surf all he wants. I dont have an issue with it.

He can tweet all his wants. The fast food thing is obviously a running joke. A professional athlete would not tweet to the world about having a bad diet. Especially if coaching are able to see it.

He is just not an AFL standard player.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Not even an emergency this week.

Makes you wonder why he was selected in round 1. A big stuff up by Watters!
I think it was to be honest! Peake was completely useless against Collingwood at Princess Park.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
westy
Club Player

There is nothing wrong with a player surfing or tweeting at all except I can't figure out how fits training in. I like watching him run with the ball, because damned quick.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Not even an emergency this week.

Makes you wonder why he was selected in round 1. A big stuff up by Watters!
I think it was to be honest! Peake was completely useless against Collingwood at Princess Park.
To be fair, that's one practice match.

Scott and the selectors get to see everyone 6 days a week. How they go at training can be even more important than some of those pre season games. Maybe he thought Peake's run would be important at AAMI Stadium. From memory he did quite well on the same ground against the same opponent last year.

And for all those people writing off guys like Peake this early in the season they should remember there's at least 20 games to go (hopefully more). He may well depart at the end of 2012 however he, and others such as Raph, still have plenty of time to turn things around.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

westy wrote:I can't help wondering if he seems to be more concerned with surfing, tweeting and crap food than playing football for St Kilda.
it's time for him to move on.... I have never really liked him and he's only done a few minor thing durning his time playing for us.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

32 posts in 5 years'
Wow Plugger look out!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

No offence to players such as Polo, Eddy, McQualter, Peake and Ray but they were only ever gonna get consistent games under Ross Lyon. The rest of the competition has been laughing at us for playing these guys, even when we were playing off in GF's.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is a time and a place....

When we got him, our drafting of kids was on the whole substandard. He has been a useful player, and has done ok relative to the cost to get him. Plus my theory was that he was meant to be a back-up to Lovett to inject some pace, who ended up being the man man due to Lovett self-destructing.

Two things have now happened:

1/ Our drafting of kids has improved, with a number now ripe to squeeze out Ray. Some may not yet be better than him, but they certainly look like they, with experience, could be. ie Ledger, Cripps.....or even the slightly Steven who has improved. Ross and others are waiting in the wings for 2013 and beyond.

2/ Milera looks to a real find....essentially everything we were looking for when we went after Lovett. With better skills than Peake, Milera looks to already be nailing a spot in the 22.

So IMO Peake has been a worthwhile pick-up, even if he does this year get squeezed out. This year if nothing else he will provide depth, and as the season goes on the the younger guys may wilt, get injured etc.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
westy wrote:I can't help wondering if he seems to be more concerned with surfing, tweeting and crap food than playing football for St Kilda.
it's time for him to move on.... I have never really liked him and he's only done a few minor thing durning his time playing for us.
that's garbage..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:No offence to players such as Polo, Eddy, McQualter, Peake and Ray but they were only ever gonna get consistent games under Ross Lyon. The rest of the competition has been laughing at us for playing these guys, even when we were playing off in GF's.
I'm surprised you believe this and I think you know it's not entirely correct. While I know there is a reason why these guys are either no longer with us or don't seem to be part of the future, it's unfair to go the other way.

Mini and Ray were very good in 2009. Mini was good in 2008 as well. Ray did a job on Swan in the second half of the drawn GF and he was very good when asked to do that by Lyon. He took Swan right out of the game.

Eddy played his role and has guts..he played injured in the 2010 prelim and allowed us to have 5 on the bench at then end when he probably should have been off the ground.

Peake has played some vg games for us and he played some good games againts the Cats. Poor grand finals but played a good qual final against the Cats in 2010. He still has a role to play but he needs to lift.

Who cares what other supporters think anyway. Most of them are stupid and misinformed and half of them are stupider than that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:No offence to players such as Polo, Eddy, McQualter, Peake and Ray but they were only ever gonna get consistent games under Ross Lyon. The rest of the competition has been laughing at us for playing these guys, even when we were playing off in GF's.

Of course they were. The sides 3rd to 16th were laughing at as being in with a chance of winning a flag. It just makes so much sense.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Questions need to be asked of Peaky and Polo and Ray but as usual, Laurel and Hardy, aka pav and p66 waltz in with their 2 bobs worth. Guys; you can reflect and bask in the glory of a great h&a season and a great GF1 in 2010, but we actually lost the best chance in 40 years to win a flag. Some of us can't quite forgive Lyon for his mistakes and his penchant for too many role players in the team rather than blooding talented youngsters. Successful home and away years lead to finals campaigns and the blueprint for finals success is not mutually exclusive with getting games into youngsters. Pav and p66 feel like they have to defend any player or any decisions made by the Lyon heirarchy (maybe you should be called 'the dynamic duo' - repelling any criticism and fighting injustice when it comes to recycled role players and loyal servants of the red, white and black).

Ross Lyon failed to win us a flag because he failed to introduce and blood 1 single solitary forward line player in the whole 5 years that he was there. Think about it...Try and name a forward that RL introduced in his whole 5 years!! He failed to blood a smart defender ( I say smart, which rules out Dawson...lol). We had the core list which Lyon inherited and he needed to blood youth into the team and perhaps add one or two gop that could tag or do a role. Seriously...when are you two going to realise that the 'blueprint' for success doesn't come with putting together a team of role players. We had too many of Lyon's roleplayers in 2009 and 2010 instead of blooding talented youngsters. The list goes on and on...We needed to "win" a premiership and the likes of Eddy, Dawson, Ray, Dempster, Peake, Pattison, Gamble etc... are not going to do that for you.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Questions need to be asked of Peaky and Polo and Ray but as usual, Laurel and Hardy, aka pav and p66 waltz in with their 2 bobs worth. Guys; you can reflect and bask in the glory of a great h&a season and a great GF1 in 2010, but we actually lost the best chance in 40 years to win a flag. Some of us can't quite forgive Lyon for his mistakes and his penchant for too many role players in the team rather than blooding talented youngsters. Successful home and away years lead to finals campaigns and the blueprint for finals success is not mutually exclusive with getting games into youngsters. Pav and p66 feel like they have to defend any player or any decisions made by the Lyon heirarchy (maybe you should be called 'the dynamic duo' - repelling any criticism and fighting injustice when it comes to recycled role players and loyal servants of the red, white and black).

Ross Lyon failed to win us a flag because he failed to introduce and blood 1 single solitary forward line player in the whole 5 years that he was there. Think about it...Try and name a forward that RL introduced in his whole 5 years!! He failed to blood a smart defender ( I say smart, which rules out Dawson...lol). We had the core list which Lyon inherited and he needed to blood youth into the team and perhaps add one or two gop that could tag or do a role. Seriously...when are you two going to realise that the 'blueprint' for success doesn't come with putting together a team of role players. We had too many of Lyon's roleplayers in 2009 and 2010 instead of blooding talented youngsters. The list goes on and on...We needed to "win" a premiership and the likes of Eddy, Dawson, Ray, Dempster, Peake, Pattison, Gamble etc... are not going to do that for you.

Schneider was a forward and Zac and Dempster were backmen. There is 3. It is only a simple person who doesnt understand footy that would say role players dont work. We won 19 in a row one year. It worked. We kicked badly in a GF. Then in 2010 we probably werent the second best side on paper but got to the GF. We drew the first with role players and got smashed in the second. You could as easily argue RL got us into GF's when we werent good enough in one year and got us into a GF in the other year with a game plan that no other side had or you can be completely negative and say because we didnt win a GF because RL didnt blood young guys. Well apart from Armo in 2009, and to me he wasnt ready, what young players could have been introduced that would have won us a flag? And whay was it our best chance to win flags in those 2 years when we clearly had a much better list between 2004-06?