31 years ago this round...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

31 years ago this round...

what happened?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Re: 31 years ago this round...

This friggin' BEAUTY!!!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Correct

first highlight of the - On this round vidoe from the afl
http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/co ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What does he win? :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I was there that day. It was an amazing kick and probably will never be done again. i have no idea if we won that day but our form in the eighties suggests we lost.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I was there that day. It was an amazing kick and probably will never be done again. i have no idea if we won that day but our form in the eighties suggests we lost.
I was there too and remember the ironic cheers when we got the free kick!
We lost for the record...http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 10411.html

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I was there that day. It was an amazing kick and probably will never be done again. i have no idea if we won that day but our form in the eighties suggests we lost.
Was there a big breeze of something?

I can't help but think it couldn't actually be done without a breeze.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

I cant really remember but my guess is there was northerly. I was actually at a game in 1987 when a guy called Peter Freeman kicked a goal from CHB. It was in the seconds and there was huge northerly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually think Freeman had previously won Sun Kick. We were playing the pies and the firsts game was also interesting. Plugger kicked 8 and broke a point post. The game wasnt on TV but was filmed by our club with Russell Holmesby and Murray Abblitt commentating. it was Plugger at his best. i got a copy off Russell and the commentary was hilarious but I lent it to Murray and never got it back. I dont think the broken point post ever got on tv.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I cant really remember but my guess is there was northerly. I was actually at a game in 1987 when a guy called Peter Freeman kicked a goal from CHB. It was in the seconds and there was huge northerly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually think Freeman had previously won Sun Kick. We were playing the pies and the firsts game was also interesting. Plugger kicked 8 and broke a point post. The game wasnt on TV but was filmed by our club with Russell Holmesby and Murray Abblitt commentating. it was Plugger at his best. i got a copy off Russell and the commentary was hilarious but I lent it to Murray and never got it back. I dont think the broken point post ever got on tv.
Classic!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:

Big breeze? Not that I recall.

Memory may be fading but I remember it as a fine day.

Main thing was that Fehring was p***** of at just having been reported. I believe he took his frustrations out on the ball!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:

I was there that game. Plugger took the ball at CHF at the Linton St end and turned around and on one step booted it through... It was Joffa's 200th...Brian Taylor got dragged as well.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I think we were all there that day, i was and i was probably standing next to one of you lot, if you were behind the goals,with your esky

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I think we were all there that day, i was and i was probably standing next to one of you lot, if you were behind the goals,with your esky

I wasn't

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I think we were all there that day, i was and i was probably standing next to one of you lot, if you were behind the goals,with your esky
Just past the wing...to the right as per the way Fering kicked.

Still remember it clearly to this day...you could tell straight away that it was a monster.

All eyes were drawn to it...and it seemed to me that as it bounced through for a goal, that the whole crowd leapt as one and roared!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I was usually standing on an esky .
As i was young all i can remember of that game was that goal ! and after the match i can remember lots of fans trying to emulate that feat , my brother who was a good footballer got it about half way between the goals and the centre square , i couldn't get it out of the centre , mind you i was only 10

In red white and black from 73
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I was standing in my usual spot in front of Bay 8 of the stand. It wasn't a windy day as I recall. Jeff Fehring took the free, just went back a couple of strides and unloaded. Barry Breen was just in front of the goal square and it sailed over his head and bounced through. The look on Breeny's face when he turned around was priceless. It would have inspired a "normal" team to win but we seemed to rest on Fehring's laurels and the Filth fought back to win. My mate Woody and I celebrated our honourable defeat at the old Hampton Hotel into the wee small hours (if memory serves me correct, Ian Stewart was licencee at the time).

Saint supporter since '62
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Big breeze? Not that I recall.

Memory may be fading but I remember it as a fine day.

Main thing was that Fehring was p***** of at just having been reported. I believe he took his frustrations out on the ball!!!!!
I was there that day in the social club, I was looking away as he kicked it but looked around in time to see the crowd go nuts behind the goal. I am sure that the wind was not a factor, not because I can remember if it was windy but I can recall that the talk after it and the next day was around the fact that there was no wind. I think Fehring may have been reported just before he got the free to.

I love this club
shmic_s
Club Player

Thanks for sharing the memories all.
Great to hear!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:what happened?
Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

[quote="plugger66

I cant really remember but my guess is there was northerly. I was actually at a game in 1987 when a guy called Peter Freeman kicked a goal from CHB. It was in the seconds and there was huge northerly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually think Freeman had previously won Sun Kick.[/quote]

I played on Peter Freeman in the U19's that year and the following. Was a bloody good footballer if I recall it as the same bloke (towelled me up a few times) Did he have very olive skin?

Always wondered why he never made it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:[quote="plugger66

I cant really remember but my guess is there was northerly. I was actually at a game in 1987 when a guy called Peter Freeman kicked a goal from CHB. It was in the seconds and there was huge northerly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually think Freeman had previously won Sun Kick.
I played on Peter Freeman in the U19's that year and the following. Was a bloody good footballer if I recall it as the same bloke (towelled me up a few times) Did he have very olive skin?

Always wondered why he never made it.[/quote]

He had very olive skin. Would have been about 6.2 I would think with wiry build. May have been indigenous. What club did you play for and why dont you follow them now? Unless of course it was the Roy boys.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I cant really remember but my guess is there was northerly. I was actually at a game in 1987 when a guy called Peter Freeman kicked a goal from CHB. It was in the seconds and there was huge northerly. I remember it like it was yesterday. I actually think Freeman had previously won Sun Kick.

Always wondered why he never made it.
Not sure of his ancestry but he certainly did have a darker complexion than most.