Sainter K and Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainter K and Geary

So people - it looks like the wise Sainter K may have done it again by nominating Geary as the seasons big improver.

This is a valuable lesson - the lesson is if you think a player has talent - you need to keep the faith and hang in with younger players. Many players take 50 games and until they are 22-23 to really make the standard (e.g Gwilt, Geary, Goddard, Montagna, Milne etc).

So we just need to get games into ledger/cripps/stanley/simpkn/siposs/milera asap.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sainter K and Geary

We can't really afford to be losing every week either. We can really only carry about 4 youngsters every week. Milera looks ready made at least.

defacto
Club Player

sainter k sure is on the money. geary looks like a peake. pace to burn, absolute road runner. one of the few highlights today.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We can't really afford to be losing every week either. We can really only carry about 4 youngsters every week. Milera looks ready made at least.
why cant we afford to lose every week?
we mght only win 6 games this year.
we might as well finish bottom.
no point finishing 12th which is where we aould end up playing mature players.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Very impressed with Geary's game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
gringo wrote:We can't really afford to be losing every week either. We can really only carry about 4 youngsters every week. Milera looks ready made at least.
And with our super-fickle membership base that would mean 25,000 members next season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Did I mss something. Thought Geary was average at best. Finds the footy a lot but continually makes bad decisions and is poor by foot. Like Jones, dont think the opposition are gonna stress overly when he has the ball.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

I'd say they will see where we are at in a longer period of time - call it after we have gauged where we are at over a number of weeks not after 1 loss

battye
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Did I mss something. Thought Geary was average at best. Finds the footy a lot but continually makes bad decisions and is poor by foot. Like Jones, dont think the opposition are gonna stress overly when he has the ball.
I agree. Geary needs to be twice as good as he currently is to get to the level of say, Dempster, let alone Gwilt.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I love Geary's dedication, run and courage. He has done well to play 50 games, but he is never going to be more than a GOP. His decision making and disposal are simply not good enough and are unlikely to improve. I wish it wasn't so, but if he's in our best 22, we're in trouble.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Laughable. He cost us the first 2 goals tonight. If he is a shoe in every week, we are back to the eighties. Lots of players with pace and heart, but little skill.

Saintsational Legend

Geary cannot kick, and his decision making at times is ordinary.

He does win the ball well and has done so for many games...but seems to be making no progress on his weaknesses.

Personally I am hoping that Milera, Saad, Ledger, Cripps, Siposs....can over the year step up and squeeze out players like Geary , Armo, Peake.

If we cannot develop better ball movement we are toast....as other clubs have stepped up on this and in 2012 turnovers are punished quickly and severely.

Lyon's zone for a while masked our deficiencies in this regard, but all clubs have now mastered the zone and press themselves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Did I mss something. Thought Geary was average at best. Finds the footy a lot but continually makes bad decisions and is poor by foot. Like Jones, dont think the opposition are gonna stress overly when he has the ball.
That is how I see it too...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

My god if we hanging on to what people say here e are in real trouble.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We were second to the ball all night. Geary under pressure coughed it up but nothing like Mac Evoy or even Jack. He goes in hard and causes turn overs, yeah has deficiencies but at least he was in at the coal face making things happen. Of all the poor players tonight Gears didn't let them down. Guys like Peake who got to the ball second and then didn't make a contest were the real problem.

saber
Club Player

It's a big call to write off Sainter K predictions so early in the season...hell we've just finished round 1.

I do agree that while Geary has heart, speed and endeavour, he lacks the foot skills to round out his game.

I often wonder if their is a kicking coach at St Kilda, especially since the same old brigade (Jones, Gilbert ect ect) continually make mistakes by foot...

If not, I'd offer one of the Jarman boys a job!

stkfc1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
J Geary
Diss. K H DE
23 14 9 83%

Best rated defender on the day, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument. :roll:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
J Geary
Diss. K H DE
23 14 9 83%

Best rated defender on the day, but don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument. :roll:
Exactly, can't see how you could say he butchered the ball with 83% efficiency, our third highest, while racking up 23 from a back pocket, give him a break, farout…

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
J Geary
Diss. K H DE
23 14 9 83%

And don't let the fact that backman often rack up high DE scores because of the easy chips shots they do back and forth get in the way of your blind use of stats......

And as to be best rated defender on the day...Blake got 87%

Did your startling analysis also pick up that Polo got 81% just behind Geary's 83 %?????????
:idea: :idea:

If you are going to rely on stats...at least put a bit of thought into it.

If you think any of these three helped to really cut the lines or set up damaging plays with their footskills then I suggest you watch the tape again.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 02 Apr 2012 8:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I liked Geary's game and I bet SW did as well. He made a couple of mistakes however through his body into every contest. I'd be very surprised if he was dropped. I had him as one of our best.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
stkfc1 wrote: If you are going to rely on stats...at least put a bit of thought into it.
If you think any of these three helped to really cut the lines or set up damaging plays with their footskills then I suggest you watch the tape again.
you're right, we should drop him and bring in Andrew mcLoad next week...
With all the talk about how great cripps is going to be, at this stage Geary is well and truly holding his spot, having less touches than only Goddard & dal ffs.
There were about 15 worse than Geary.

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:My god if we hanging on to what people say here e are in real trouble.
So plug on one hand you say we are going to be down the bottom for a few years than you say if we oust our average players for promising youngsters it is laughable....

FFS stop just knocking everyone for having an opinion against the establishment