Why I'm happy we got Pelchin.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Why I'm happy we got Pelchin.

After watching the hawks on Friday night I couldn't but be impressed that the Saints hierarchy managed to snare Pelchin during the middle of last year. He helped build a fantastic team with Clarkson and think that with Watters he can do the same again.

It doesn't mean that every kid that we have drafted this year will make it but I optimistic that with Pelchin at the helm we will be looking good in the years to come!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why I'm happy we got Pelchin.

Buckets wrote:After watching the hawks on Friday night I couldn't but be impressed that the Saints hierarchy managed to snare Pelchin during the middle of last year. He helped build a fantastic team with Clarkson and think that with Watters he can do the same again.

It doesn't mean that every kid that we have drafted this year will make it but I optimistic that with Pelchin at the helm we will be looking good in the years to come!
I'm not sure how much Pelchin does in as much as drafting is concerned, isn't Elshaugh our recruiter and the Pilchard is a footy director or something like that. I'm sure he has the say over the list but he let go of some good to recruit the players he did. Skills based players are a good start and if he sends us that way can only be helpful.

Buckets
SS Life Member

That's the point though. He has a say over where the list goes and therefore also works with T.E to look at potential recruits.

Looking forward to seeing skilled users of the football in the RWB!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Well he should have done a lot more to retain Dawson. Have no idea what he was thinking on that. We are one big defender down and this will come back to bite us..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
fingers
Saintsational Legend

you can't keep someone who is adamant they want to leave.

goodie
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Well he should have done a lot more to retain Dawson. Have no idea what he was thinking on that. We are one big defender down and this will come back to bite us..
We were going to lose someone, salary cap was too tight and Dawson got offered a chunk of change. Simple as that.

Can't really judge him on last year's effort, there was a lot of kerfuffle with the coaching changeover and Lynch and Walsh wanting out hamstrung us at the trade table. Happy with the Saad-Milera deal though

crippa2sipa
Club Player

fingers wrote:you can't keep someone who is adamant they want to leave.
Don't kid yourself. Pelchen said: "We kept everyone we wanted to keep" - Ergo he wanted Dawson to leave.
You don't have to delist someone you don't want. When it's someone like Dawson on a very small contract, you just offer them a paycut so they have to leave.

Wasn't Pelchen the one who delisted Dawson from Hawthorn?
Explains a lot, if true.
Pretty disgusted actually given our lack of tall backs and players in that age bracket - our mainstay for the next 3 years.

crippa2sipa
Club Player

goodie wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Well he should have done a lot more to retain Dawson. Have no idea what he was thinking on that. We are one big defender down and this will come back to bite us..
We were going to lose someone, salary cap was too tight and Dawson got offered a chunk of change. Simple as that.
No it's not simple as that. Pelchen had a choice. You don't drop Dawson in favour of Polo (or Peake) if you've got a serious eye on our present and future.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Now if only we could hire a decent and qualified recruiting manager to replace "Waylan Smithers" Elshaug, we'd be set.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Well, Pelchen will soon have close to a blank canvas to work with. Let's hope he's as good as many think he his.

widereceiver
Club Player

Our future full backs may not turn their back on the ball, but I think many of the geese will look back on Zac and regret all their animosity. Sure he ain't great but he's big and he did kick that sealer against the scum.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar