We got the best Simpkin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We got the best Simpkin

Ill tell you one thing for sure. We got the best Simpkin.
His brother is 10cm shorter and not as good.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: We got the best Simpkin

pfiew.

goodie
Club Player

Too early to call, plus there's still another one coming through the system.

We did get the tallest.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

anyone watching him in the vfl last couple of years will know Simpkin has a great physique for key position AFL
very strong in the legs and broad in the shoulders, and he will only get bigger
most impressive for me is his ability to stand up in an aerial contest (if that makes sense) and his ability to show no fear when upplying his sledgehammer
plus he is naturally a tough man
really excited about this guy (this Simpkin!)

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Simkin has potential but Dawson has left big shoes to fill, averaging 3 kicks per match in 2011 and gathering a superlative year high of 5 kicks vs the Sydney Swans.
I'm not sure that Smpkin can match those lofty standards.

Can Simpkin lose focus or look lost the way Dawson did and is his body strength one on one as good as Dawson's ?
Too early to call.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 28 Feb 2012 2:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

How many games have they played?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:How many games have they played?
im calling it! the call has been made clarky killjoy!
Whats the point making a call when it becomes the bleeding obvious?
not necessarily saying our one is awesome - but I am saying the geelong is one is no good.
if im wrong you can tell me so in 2 years.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He looked quite steady in defense last Friday. I'm really curious to see if he's ready for the responsibilty as a starting full back by round 1. So far, however, it looks as though Wilkes will be given that duty.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
not necessarily saying our one is awesome - but I am saying the geelong is one is no good.

The Geelong Simpkin is a good player as is ours. Whats the point of making a call after one game. It is just plain silly. Con how many games have you seen either play.

StNoodles
Club Player

Really like the look of our boy. Will play 200 games IMO.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The Geelong Simpkin is a good player as is ours. Whats the point of making a call after one game. It is just plain silly. Con how many games have you seen either play.
ive seen the geelong one play a few and the saints one play a few. i reckon ours is much better. and i love a big call! anyone can make a small call (gee that judd guy is a good player).

so im making the call. feel free to ridicule me in 18 months if im wrong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:He looked quite steady in defense last Friday. I'm really curious to see if he's ready for the responsibilty as a starting full back by round 1. So far, however, it looks as though Wilkes will be given that duty.
why?
wilkesy is a good honest toiler with zero vert leap. i think TS will get first crack.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Jon Simpkin is a VFL gun, but he's 24-years old and there's a fair chance he'll never play an AFL game. Geelong picked him up because he'd been good for their VFL side. Tom is 21-years old and may get a game round one. There's no comparison.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Jon Simpkin is a VFL gun, but he's 24-years old and there's a fair chance he'll never play an AFL game. Geelong picked him up because he'd been good for their VFL side. Tom is 21-years old and may get a game round one. There's no comparison.

Thankyou VS! Exactly what I was trying to say!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm worried about the backline overall......

In fact...i'm worried about our key position player stocks...the cupboard is almost bare..

and if Stanley doesn't cut it......anyway....Watters and Elshaugh will sort it.....eventually....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Careful

With all this talk he may get a Big Head. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Con Gorozidis wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Jon Simpkin is a VFL gun, but he's 24-years old and there's a fair chance he'll never play an AFL game. Geelong picked him up because he'd been good for their VFL side. Tom is 21-years old and may get a game round one. There's no comparison.

You never said any such thing. You never said he was a VFL gun. You actually said he was no good. And Geelong didnt pick him up because he would be good for their VFL side. He would have played there anyway so why waste a pick. And I know you didnt say that. Just pointing out that wasnt the reason. The guy can play for sure. Just got to pass a lot of blokes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You never said any such thing. You never said he was a VFL gun. You actually said he was no good. And Geelong didnt pick him up because he would be good for their VFL side. He would have played there anyway so why waste a pick. And I know you didnt say that. Just pointing out that wasnt the reason. The guy can play for sure. Just got to pass a lot of blokes.
When did you realise he could play becuase I thought you had your doubts about him? I'm completley ignorant about Simpkin

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

When did you realise he could play becuase I thought you had your doubts about him? I'm completley ignorant about Simpkin

I was actually talking about Toms brother but i have always been a fan of Tom as well. I am unsure that he could hold down FB back. May just be a little small.

PJ
SS Life Member

How tall was Max?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:How tall was Max?
I give up... :?:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:And Geelong didnt pick him up because he would be good for their VFL side. He would have played there anyway so why waste a pick. And I know you didnt say that. Just pointing out that wasnt the reason.
Is that directed at me? I said Geelong picked Jon Simpkin up because he'd been (past tense) good for their VFL side. He was rewarded for his contributions to Geelong's VFL side with a rookie list spot, same as Pods the year before and several others in the various drafts before that.

I also happen to like the guy, not the least because he's the brother of a current Saint. Jon Simpkin has clearly worked hard and played well for the best part of six years and may never get a single shot at AFL level, mostly because he's played for the wrong teams (Sydney then Geelong). I hope he gets a shot, but he's 24 and he's playing for the reigning premiers. Clearly Tom's in a better situation as he's three years younger and in the mix for senior selection for round one. That's what I was trying to get across in my previous post.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I'm going to stick my neck out and say the same height he is now. :wink:

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

it's an interesting question. max was 191/93 ish for most of his career. not massively tall for an afl player, and not even particularly strong in a wrestle. his strengths were his closing speed and his spoiling technique. he was consistently the best spoiler i've ever seen and was likely to get a fist on the ball from most positions.

the main players he was beaten by were the neitz types, who'd just stand twenty from goal, get the ball dropped on their head and wrestle. gehrig would have given him serious problems as well though that obviously was never required.

so simpkin. he's currently listed at 191/90. he can definitely add a couple more kilos of muscle so he's essentially max's size. safe to say he's not as good a spoiler - just because max is one of the best ever - and i don't know much about his speed. we'll find out more on his characteristics this year.

but as he's not massive, the real question is how many gorillas might he have to play on?

the big forwards who kicked goals last year were franklin (196/101), cloke (196/103), j riewoldt (193/87), kennedy (196/99), podsiadly (194/93), petrie (197/105), goodes (194/96). add in brown (195/104). all are bigger and stronger than him, and certainly petrie and brown will wrestle him, cloke and kennedy a bit, the others not a huge amount. pods is probably his perfect matchup.

i'm not sure it's an enormous disadvantage to be a bit smaller as long as you're good enough and a tough competitor. but we'll see - if not this year, then probably next.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So basically every 2nd week we will need to double team someone. As w all know Roo gets double or triple teamed most weeks so we will have to do the same and just hope some other bugger doesnt make us pay by getting loose. thats footy I guess. Would be nice to have a super gun fullback but most teams dont. I actually hope raph gets back in the side because he is the kind of guy that is very good at being 2nd man in on a double team with his go go gadget arms.