Zac Dawson rejects St Kilda's offer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
dragit wrote:
samoht wrote:just ask Rocca who took him apart and Zac hasn't really improved since.
There's not liking someone, then there's ridiculous statements like this…

He was 18 when Rocca kicked 8 on him & he hasn't had a bag kicked on him since… He's not the greatest player to ever pull on a jumper, but he is tall, fast and very good at spoiling, something we currently don't have a replacement for.
How often do individual kpp kick bags against defensive sides (like St kilda) with all the flooding taking place?
The point is one on one he's nothing.
He offers no resistance.
Rocca is in the past okay .. but Cloke, Setanta, Waite - they mark at will against Dawson. It's ridiculous to overlook that... before you refer to my observation as ridiculous.
How many goals did Cloke kick on him? I would be surprised if Zac had more than 30 goals kicked on him all year. Darren Glass had about 25 goals kicked on him this year. Weather he got help or not is irrelevant because he does a job. All players have goals kicked on them and all players stuff up occasionally too. He is much better than you say he is and when he has been out of the team, it has really stuffed up our structure and the backline set up. He will be hard to replace if he leaves.

The problem wasn't so much Zac. The problem was getting smashed at stoppages and clearances. When the ball comes into the forward line quickly because your mid field is getting beaten easily, most backs would struggle one on one.

It is easy to say he's crap, great he's going but much harder to propose a reasonable solution of who will replace him.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I thought he wasn't supposed to be out, let alone drinking?

Else why was he suspended?

Let's be honest about history, it wasn't nothing, it was an indiscretion.

After which he said it was one of his biggest regrets didn't he, on the doco?
It wasn't nothing, it was a mistake definitely, but I don't regard it has a huge deal, if the other boys hadn't of been so stupid we never would have heard about Zac having some wine with his dinner - albeit against the rules…

Even our most respected guys have got themselves into situations they probably shouldn't - Both Lenny & Fisher getting into scraps at bars late at night?

They're footballers, they do stupid things, holding a franger out in a photo and having a glass of wine at dinner are pretty minor in my book…

…regardless his football record has been good while with us, but he is one of those guys that always attracts supporter wrath, I will be disappointed he is gone until I see a better full back in his place, and really I don't think anyone could blame him for wanting the money, coming back from a rookie he would know all too well that this career is short. Any sane person would walk for double salary?

saintpeter
Club Player

I am dissapointed that Zac may leave. I though that he had good skills and could develop into a better than average player. He struck me as still being a developing player. However, I also thought he lacked something to make the next step up ...confidence, drive, seriousness...I cannot say as I do not know him. Anyway, I wish him the best. Is Kosi a possibility as a FB? He was very good early as a CHB.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If Zac leaves I will be very disappointed. He is a very good full back, in terms of being a pure stopping full back there aren't many better ones out there.

If he wants to go to Freo it's a shame we couldn't have organised a trade to try and get Silvagni off of them.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zac is not perfect, but a good backman who has proven himself in finals, where basically it all counts, so he has some justification in holding out for a good deal. We have a few bigger names who demand big money and can't perform in a grand final.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

It would be a shame if he went to Freo, who do we have to replace him. Can't help to think that it may have a lot to do withPelchen being at the Saints and Lyin knowing this would make it a little uncomfortable for Zac to stay. Lyin knows he would only offer slightly more and Zac would leave.

Hopfully we can find someone to step up, at least Watters will give someone else a go.

I love this club
ace
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Rocket wrote:Not sure why a trade wasn't negotiated...now we get nothing again!!!!
not rocket science

clearly freo weren't playing ball... figured he'd walk and they could get him in the pre-season draft - bet they didn't offer a draft pick earlier then something we won't use anyway

RL is quite the cut throat
Dawson's agent Marty Pask is overseas on holiday.
This was clearly pre-arranged with Freo before the trade period.
Pask was not required to be Australia at this time.

Dawson was out of contract and St Kilda was trapped by salary cap.
Dawson was offered $300,000 by Freo and agreed.
Dawson would pretend to still want a St Kilda contract.
Freo would show no interest in Dawson during trade period.
Dawson would refuse all contract offers.
Dawson would nominate for pre-season draft.
Dawson would be drafted by Freo.
Freo would get Dawson for a pre-season draft pick instead of a good National draft pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
dragit
Saintsational Legend

So what is par for Riewoldt on Dawson then?

4 goals?

If Freo beats us in Melbourne and Roo is held to one goal or goal-less, this joint is going to get uglier than a Collingwood cheer squad.

To the top
SS Life Member

The ONLY reason Dawson got a game at full back was that we had no other option.

Simply, he was physically and mentally weak.

Some of his antics on the football field, such as when Cloke kicked out on the full, were absolutely embarrassing - even laughable.

The positive is that we must now identify a better option for full back.

And that will not be hard.

The ONLY positive about Dawson was that he was 195cm.

The conumdrum of picking him because we had no option now needs addressing - and that is the positive.

To the top
SS Life Member

The ONLY reason Dawson got a game at full back was that we had no other option.

Simply, he was physically and mentally weak.

Some of his antics on the football field, such as when Cloke kicked out on the full, were absolutely embarrassing - even laughable.

The positive is that we must now identify a better option for full back.

And that will not be hard.

The ONLY positive about Dawson was that he was 195cm.

The conumdrum of picking him because we had no option now needs addressing - and that is the positive.

ace
Saintsational Legend

They have a simple procedure in international soccer to stop players walking for nothing.

Every required player must have at least 2 years left on their contract before the trade period opens.

Fail to sign a contract extension for at least 2 years and the player is automatically placed on the market and traded out of the club.

Result the reluctant player is gone but the club either gets a replacement or cash in return.
In the AFL that would be players or draft picks.
New player would be required to sign for at least 2 years.

Requirement
Coaches, recruiters and list managers with a small degree of competence when it comes to assessing required players and young players potential.
Waiting until the end of an AFL season then deciding that player X is no longer required demonstrates complete incompetence.

Decisions on player need to made at the right time (at the end of the season before a player comes out of contract) not when it is convenient because you waited for all information on a player to become available.
If the decision is a player is only kept as insurance then he does not get an extension because he is no seen as required.

I worked in design for the construction industry under a process known as construction management.
If you wait for the design to be completed before you start construction the project may be delivered many years later than if you design and construct simultaneously.
YOU HAVE TO MAKE DECISIONS and live with them regardless of whether you have all the design inputs you would like to have at the time.
Competent designers thrive, wimps fail.

St Kilda's football department is full of wimps.
Last edited by ace on Mon 31 Oct 2011 6:25pm, edited 2 times in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

ace wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Rocket wrote:Not sure why a trade wasn't negotiated...now we get nothing again!!!!
not rocket science

clearly freo weren't playing ball... figured he'd walk and they could get him in the pre-season draft - bet they didn't offer a draft pick earlier then something we won't use anyway

Freo would get Dawson for a pre-season draft pick instead of a good National draft pick.
So Nettlefold outsmarted...AGAIN....But he seems to be such a genius, how could this happen?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

ace wrote:
skeptic wrote:
not rocket science

So Nettlefold outsmarted...AGAIN....But he seems to be such a genius, how could this happen?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

see ya - nothing player who was made to look better than he is. will be found out at freo. recruiting him cost us the 09 flag. guy is a jinx. if he hadn't effed up with hawkins, or asked roo if he could put a franger on him, or passed out sleeping pills, or even if he had talent, then maybe i'd care...

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:see ya - nothing player who was made to look better than he is. will be found out at freo. recruiting him cost us the 09 flag. guy is a jinx. if he hadn't effed up with hawkins, or asked roo if he could put a franger on him, or passed out sleeping pills, or even if he had talent, then maybe i'd care...
And the good thing is we have plenty of ready made replacements.

westy
Club Player

Interesting comment from Fremantle on 6PR. Now that Crowley has been given a contract extension, the consider that their senior list is now complete. Where does that leave young Zachary then?

I'm livin' in a madhouse
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

westy wrote:Interesting comment from Fremantle on 6PR. Now that Crowley has been given a contract extension, the consider that their senior list is now complete. Where does that leave young Zachary then?
Very interesting....Good Stuff, Westy!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
ace wrote:
skeptic wrote:
not rocket science

Well and good, but we couldn't afford to keep everyone, nor (one assumes) could we afford to pay a trade.

Someone had to move.

In a list laden with back half types, suspect Dawson was always most likely and probably most dispensable.

I always thought he toiled away for 50% or 60% of his on field time and for the rest it kind of posed and pranced and postured and otherwise conceded frees when too often outsmarted by oafs ...

Is his departure REALLY worth all the hot air...???

Surely out of all our backmen we can muster someone who watches the ball and gives a good even physical contest. Hell, we might even to find a replacement who can set up something by foot rather than dob a heart attack inducing floater to a free man twenty metres away...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ace
Saintsational Legend

Dawson was a Claytons full back.

The full back you have when you don't have a full back.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yes but who will "dress" the skipper now?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is the new O'Brien. O'Brien was forced to leave Essendon after stalking an umpire who reported him, he gets a second chance with St. Kilda, and kicks sixty goals as a foil for the greatest full forward ever, and then follows that full forward to Sydney, and does nothing. O'Brien owed St. Kilda but didn't repay that debt.
Dawson is exactly the same. He is a player best remembered as a player taken apart embarrassingly in a nothing game, given a second chance, achieves a lot because our coach is the most defensive coach in the modern era (since 1960) and he was never really tested one on one, and when he was he got flogged anyway. he is not a full back, but a good second tall in defence.
Hewas only every any good because of our flooding defensive zone anyway.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 31 Oct 2011 7:06pm, edited 5 times in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Dawson is the new O'Brien. O'Brien was forced to leave Essendon after following an umpire home who reported him, he gets a second chance with St. Kilda, and kicks sixty goals as a foil for the greatest full forward ever, and then follows that full forward to Sydney, and does nothing. O'Brien owed St. Kilda but didn't repay that debt.
Dawson is exactly the same. He is a player best remembered as a player taken apart embarrassingly in a nothing game, given a second chance, achieves a lot because our coach is the most defensive coach in the modern era (since 1960) and he was never really tested one on one, and when he was he got flogged anyway. he is not a full back, but a good second tall in defence. Now he follows that coach to Freo
He was only ever any good because of our flooding defensive zone anyway.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Mon 31 Oct 2011 6:57pm, edited 5 times in total.

westy
Club Player

Who filled for Zac when get reported? How many goals were scored by the opponent when Zac was out?

I'm livin' in a madhouse
dragit
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:Who filled for Zac when get reported? How many goals were scored by the opponent when Zac was out?
Pretty small sample size... He's missed a couple of games in 3 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

One on one Zac is hopeless.