Swans pushing for walsh hard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint6
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:Surprised to read so many people eager to see Gram go. Arguably should have been the club's first Norm Smith Medallist and still very handy, particularly in light of Gwilt being out for 2012 with a knee. Kicking skills aren't always great but could be worked on. Fair enough if the club need room in the salary cap, but pick 40 would be just plain ridiculous.
When I spoke to jimmy gwilt at the best and fairest he said he should be back by round 5. But then again what would he know about his own body.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saint6 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Surprised to read so many people eager to see Gram go. Arguably should have been the club's first Norm Smith Medallist and still very handy, particularly in light of Gwilt being out for 2012 with a knee. Kicking skills aren't always great but could be worked on. Fair enough if the club need room in the salary cap, but pick 40 would be just plain ridiculous.
When I spoke to jimmy gwilt at the best and fairest he said he should be back by round 5. But then again what would he know about his own body.
Will take a bit to get form back.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh to Sydney

Almost a dead deal. Walsh – yet to make his senior debut - has told St Kilda he wants to move to Sydney, but the Saints have refused to deal with the Swans so far.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 6168158287

lol

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Tommy Walsh to Sydney

Almost a dead deal. Walsh – yet to make his senior debut - has told St Kilda he wants to move to Sydney, but the Saints have refused to deal with the Swans so far.

lol
Luke
Ball
:(

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:Luke
Ball
It may only come to that if Walsh isn't partial on his destination.

Walsh can't afford to put a price on his head like Ball did, and there are too many other potential suitors for there to be any guarantee of him going to Sydney.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
matrix wrote:Tommy Walsh to Sydney

lol
Luke
Ball
What a nothing article that is.

Prefer Watters' comments to the media this morning. Certainly giving Tommy a big cuddle :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup
unreal isnt it

dragit
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Ball

Walsh can't afford to put a price on his head like Ball did, and there are too many other potential suitors for there to be any guarantee of him going to Sydney.
Realistically though, if a player won't talk to other clubs, are they really going to risk picking him up? Even more so with an unknown entity like Capt Ireland (zero games)

The Connors/Collingwood model is pretty hard to work around IMO. Make it known throughout the industry that player X only wants to play at Club Y, will not even hold talks with other clubs… no-one wants to draft a player that doesn't want to be at your club.

Luke Ball would be Captain of the Dees by now if they'd taken a punt and just drafted him, but they were too scared and fair enough…

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hope Tommy is reading my tweets… :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Hope Tommy is reading my tweets… :)
Same here.

He's clearly not replying to them but :P

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If we really want Tommy to stay and plan on playing him next year and trade someone like Gram, then there will probably be no need for Tommy to want to leave, as we'll be able to get close to matching Sydney's $$$ and also be able to pretty much "guarantee" Tommy game time (as much as Sydney would). Hopefully he'll re-sign ASAP.
Tweet him for me all you on Twitter please!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Walsh would be nothing like Ball.

Ball had huge injury clouds over him, and wouldn't give anyone a medical.

Walsh could end up anywhere.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

With Sydney picking up Mitch Morton it would seem that Tommy is safe...for now :D

Sainter for life.
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Morton isn't a KKP, though?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:Morton isn't a KKP, though?
True. But Morton will add to their salary cap and will take up another spot in their side.

Can Tommy still be offered the same dollars and opportunities that he may have been offered a few days ago?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
True. But Morton will add to their salary cap and will take up another spot in their side.

Can Tommy still be offered the same dollars and opportunities that he may have been offered a few days ago?
They have a perpetually bigger cap than most sides I think?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

They have a perpetually bigger cap than most sides I think?
True, but it still has some limits.

The Morton deal though may suggest they acknowledge they can't get Tommy, regardless of the differences between the players.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:
Ball

Realistically though, if a player won't talk to other clubs, are they really going to risk picking him up? Even more so with an unknown entity like Capt Ireland (zero games)

The Connors/Collingwood model is pretty hard to work around IMO. Make it known throughout the industry that player X only wants to play at Club Y, will not even hold talks with other clubs… no-one wants to draft a player that doesn't want to be at your club.

Luke Ball would be Captain of the Dees by now if they'd taken a punt and just drafted him, but they were too scared and fair enough…
Lucky it wasn't player Y playing in Club X

:lol:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I still maintain it can’t be all about the money.

I don’t know Tommy from a bar of soap and I have no idea what’s going on inside his head. But I can take a wild guess.

Here’s a bloke who travels half way across the world to pursue a dream that has been sold to him. Now sure all Irish guys do that, though not many have the profile and standing in the Gaelic Football world that TW has.

From all reports he does everything he can over the space of 2 years to make it in his new sport. In doing so he goes from someone with the coordination of Frank Spencer to someone capable of winning VFL games off his own boot. And someone who other AFL clubs seem to think is worth trying to get their hands on.

But along the way he probably starts to feel a bit abandoned. Two major players in getting him to the AFL, Archie Thompson and Matthew Drain are no longer at St Kilda. Another major influence Ricky Nixon loses his Sports Management business after being publicly disgraced and is probably a bit lucky to avoid jail time. That leaves Ross Lyon the coach, however he treats him as little more than a top up player for the Sandringham Zebras.

If I was Tommy I’d need a bit of luvin at this stage of my journey.

Sure a few more dollars may help, but I think a big cuddle from the new coach is just, if not more, important in this situation.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

still being said on the trade blogs etc that we are deff there at the trade meeting and are DEF not negotiating on tommy.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:still being said on the trade blogs etc that we are deff there at the trade meeting and are DEF not negotiating on tommy.
Come on fev

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

An attack on Tommy is a direct attack on Saintsational.
Swans may have well declared war. I think a bit of love from the new senior coach should be enough.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Swines can go and get farked!

Another opportunity awaits!
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Swines can go and get farked!
THISSSS!!!!!!!!

markp
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I still maintain it can’t be all about the money.

I don’t know Tommy from a bar of soap and I have no idea what’s going on inside his head. But I can take a wild guess.

Here’s a bloke who travels half way across the world to pursue a dream that has been sold to him. Now sure all Irish guys do that, though not many have the profile and standing in the Gaelic Football world that TW has.

From all reports he does everything he can over the space of 2 years to make it in his new sport. In doing so he goes from someone with the coordination of Frank Spencer to someone capable of winning VFL games off his own boot. And someone who other AFL clubs seem to think is worth trying to get their hands on.

But along the way he probably starts to feel a bit abandoned. Two major players in getting him to the AFL, Archie Thompson and Matthew Drain are no longer at St Kilda. Another major influence Ricky Nixon loses his Sports Management business after being publicly disgraced and is probably a bit lucky to avoid jail time. That leaves Ross Lyon the coach, however he treats him as little more than a top up player for the Sandringham Zebras.

If I was Tommy I’d need a bit of luvin at this stage of my journey.

Sure a few more dollars may help, but I think a big cuddle from the new coach is just, if not more, important in this situation.
Oh lordy.....

How about he's a supremely gifted and motivated athlete who wants to make it his full-time profession and career, and give himself the best possible chance for success and maximum reward in that regard?

How about RL said late this year that he saw him as a power forward for the Saints?... and maybe 2 years in the VFL was the perfect place for his development.

How about we didn't play him because he wasn't considered ready (maybe by people actually at the club, and possibly not just evil Ross!)... or because he wouldn't sign a contract offered mid-year, or maybe it even had something to do with our perilous SC situation.

How about a need for 'cuddles' has SFA to do with it?