The cost of attending our club's B&F

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The cost of attending our club's B&F

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, (but have a shrewd idea that I'm not :roll: ) but attending the Best and Fairest function is becoming almost as expensive as a season's membership! ($320.00 a spot!) A good friend (and dedicated Sainter) has enquired among other AFL clubs as to the cost of their B&F functions and we are way more expensive than many other teams. Collingwood are the nearest to us at $220.00 a head. It appears to me that the club are in real danger of killing the goose that lays their golden egg, as many more supporters will find themselves being left outside the tent at atime when we need to be brringing as many as we can INSIDE! May I suggest to the board that as current Social club membership carries no special privileges (other than free entry to the Victory Room :roll: ) and a chance at GF tickets :roll: that all members be given some sort of "discount" for the B&F and that this be graded by membership category?
THERE! Off my chest!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

so I AM on me own? :wink: :lol:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

No Jiggs, you are not. I have complained for a long time that the Club does not "give enough back" to it's Social Club members. It would be a nice touch to give a "discount" to Social Club members.

People don't mind contributing to the Club, but it's nice to get something back sometimes - a feeling of your Membership "being acknowledged."

Legendary
Club Player

It's difficult though - a club like Collingwood can subsidise the cost of hosting their B&F and offering cheaper tickets from their other revenues.

I believe 3-4 years back that the Saints were losing an enormous amount of $ for hosting the event, as revenues from ticket sales and the auction items were not covering costs.

No doubt this is why the ticket price is now so expensive, and IMO the club would be making some money out of the event.

The fact is that we had 900+ people attend. Obviously many were corporates/sponsors/players/executive who didn't pay ... but the relatively strong demand for tickets showed that the fans are willing to pay $300.

My feeling is that if the club needs to charge $300-odd for members to attend in order to make money from the event and put back into the club, then they are entitled to do that.

Relative to the cost of other dinners that I receive invitations to - political fundraisers, local community fundraisers etc. - I do not think that what the Saints charge is out of proportion.

Perhaps they could discount prices to Social Club members a bit more as a form of recognition, but other than that I don't see that ticket prices should be cut.

Offering more cheap events for members is the answer to improve engagement IMO.

Winmar
Club Player

It'd be nice to have something I could attend. If they're going to price us out of functions like this one they should be looking at ways that we can have an evening with the players. Doesn't have to be a meal; how about an early-evening mingle with the players over a drink event or something?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Winmar commented :
It'd be nice to have something I could attend. If they're going to price us out of functions like this one they should be looking at ways that we can have an evening with the players. Doesn't have to be a meal; how about an early-evening mingle with the players over a drink event or something?
Spot on Winmar. There are plenty of Club Members who would like to feel "involved," but there are no functions tailored at the lower price levels. There have been many threads on this over time, with some good ideas contributed. It might be time to start a new thread on this - too late at night for me now, but perhaps tomorrow.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It's still cheaper than a taxi fare down to training at Seaford.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Re: The cost of attending our club's B&F

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm not sure if I'm the only one, (but have a shrewd idea that I'm not :roll: ) but attending the Best and Fairest function is becoming almost as expensive as a season's membership! ($320.00 a spot!) A good friend (and dedicated Sainter) has enquired among other AFL clubs as to the cost of their B&F functions and we are way more expensive than many other teams. Collingwood are the nearest to us at $220.00 a head. It appears to me that the club are in real danger of killing the goose that lays their golden egg, as many more supporters will find themselves being left outside the tent at atime when we need to be brringing as many as we can INSIDE! May I suggest to the board that as current Social club membership carries no special privileges (other than free entry to the Victory Room :roll: ) and a chance at GF tickets :roll: that all members be given some sort of "discount" for the B&F and that this be graded by membership category?
THERE! Off my chest!!!!!
You are not on your own, jiggs, i also have SC, and really starting to feel like it's a total waste of money. We should at least get some discount on Events.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SC is great when your team is a good chance of making grannies.

In the end, it's just an insurance policy.

Insurance premiums are boring and deliver nothing tangible except when you really need them.

Can always ditch SC and try your luck buying GF tickets from onsellers cheaply just before the GF if when. We make it.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
philip
Club Player

FYI, I've done many events in my professional career and the cost of each ticket would be between 130 - 150 so they are using it as a profit making venture as they are charging 320 (even allowing for freebie tickets).

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
saint6
Club Player

Sorry I think the cost of the tickets is justified. A few years ago when tickets sold out the club had a cocktail function in the next door room which was much cheaper and players came in and spoke at that function. However it is not practical for the club to commit to hiring another room if the demand is not there.
Our club struggles financially and the best and fairest is one way of raising funds. Our memberships are among the cheapest in the league and so is our social club membership. If you think we are hard done by just go and look at the cost of a membership of a club such as the feral pies. And if you are a ferals supporter and want a guaranteed grand final ticket should your club get in you have to pay over $800
What would you rather - cheaper tickets for the best and fairest which is never going to be able to cater to more than 1000 odd supporters or more affordable membership for families.

saint6
Club Player

philip wrote:FYI, I've done many events in my professional career and the cost of each ticket would be between 130 - 150 so they are using it as a profit making venture as they are charging 320 (even allowing for freebie tickets).

philip
Nothing wrong with the club using the event as a fund raiser. And for your information we had some of those "freebie" tickets. We sponsor a player and paid well over three thousand dollars to do so therefore I think that we are entitled to attend the best and fairest and not be required to pay again.
For those of you who want to attend functions such as the season launch and best and fairest sponsoring a development group player is excellent value and is cheaper than paying for individual events.
Exactly what is our club supposed to do to fund raise??

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

I was chatting to Schneider on the night and he was saying he thinks the club doesnt actually make much money (if any) with nights like that. I found that hard to believe but when you break it down you might have 900-1000 people there but over half of them wouldnt have to pay.

About 260 tickets go to player sponsors.
44 players with guests, and then staff etc would be close to 500
Corporate sponsors would also get free tickets.

So really your only looking at possibly 200-300 tickets that could be purchased.

I guess the 4 auctions raised about $17,000 all up and the raffle with tickets at $25 a pop would have made a little bit.

I do agree $320 is a ridiculous price but id rather have it priced like that then the club lose money. But having said that for what you get and for the unbelieveable experience id pay it anyday of the week.

PLUGGER14
Club Player

Did you know that life members receive zero discount?

They also pay for reserved seats etc....

No chance of discounts being offered to SC members.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I understand the need for the club to make money (I get a bit miffed when they manage to "lose" 1.5 mill though) but feel that $320.00 is beyond many members reach. I took up SC membership back in 2002, so with our flag prospects being what they were then, had no motives other than to support the club a wee bit more. A more practical method of meeting supporters like myself half-way, could be to have 2 categories of admission for the B&F and for the venue to be larger. Maybe, the Dinner & dance component could be held on one level with price reflecting this, with the speeches and actual count being open to a "general admission" type of category? Perhaps allow members to take up this option and in this way have MORE in attendance?
Another option COULD be, to include an option for part of the price of the B&F to be added on to our membership when we renew/join?
I'm NOT just knocking the club for the sake of it, simply saying that perhaps ways should be explored to get even MORE of us to a B&F than "900+"

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

$320 x 900 = $288,000

$230 x 1300 (the reported number a couple years ago) = $299,000

Not that hard to do the maths St Kilda.

They walk amongst us...

saint6
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:$320 x 900 = $288,000

But dont forget that the club have to pay for hire of the rooms and catering so the extra people would incur more costs. Or are you suggesting that they run it as a barbeque in someones back yard?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The last thing I want this thread to become is a means of attacking the club and administration, nor would I wish it to become something that divides us, but some of us simply cannot afford the cost at this time in our life and would like to see some way that we can attend.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

HSVKing wrote:$320 x 900 = $288,000

As i said earlier, over half the tickets arent paid for so that is way off the mark.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:The last thing I want this thread to become is a means of attacking the club and administration, nor would I wish it to become something that divides us, but some of us simply cannot afford the cost at this time in our life and would like to see some way that we can attend.

if you want to go....pay up and stop whinging ffs....why should it be cheaper for some ......the saints are a business...they are currently running at a loss...don't need to be giving concessions out for a premier event like the best and fairest....

:roll:

...that divisive enough??? :twisted: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Hi

Every year, the club sells a bunch of things - on one day - like training jerseys and so on... but there are never any things on the internet which would allow interstate or international members to buy.

You can't phone in, or anything. You have to be there.

Here is my idea: if the club listed 4 items on saints locker for auction that day - just the same sort of things that everyone gets on that day - but starting price something like what they are on site... and then auction it off, with the auction lasting just a couple of hours.

The saints still get their money, but more people get a chance to have a piece of it.

What do you think?

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'll start by saying that I went as a result of winning the SAINTSATIONAL ballot so didn't have to pay the $320.

As said above by thunda, it's a premium event at a premium venue. The size of the crowd (900) was comfortable for that venue so I think the event itself should stay as it is.

If there is enough interest then an idea might be for a "secondary" event at a "secondary" venue might be considered, with live streaming from the premium event. The downside to this would be that all players would be at the premium event thereby watering down the impact of the secondary event. So the bottom line on my thoughts is to leave the event as it is but look for ways to involve the fans who can't afford the premium price !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saint6
Club Player

Eastern wrote:I'll start by saying that I went as a result of winning the SAINTSATIONAL ballot so didn't have to pay the $320.

As said above by thunda, it's a premium event at a premium venue. The size of the crowd (900) was comfortable for that venue so I think the event itself should stay as it is.

If there is enough interest then an idea might be for a "secondary" event at a "secondary" venue might be considered, with live streaming from the premium event. The downside to this would be that all players would be at the premium event thereby watering down the impact of the secondary event. So the bottom line on my thoughts is to leave the event as it is but look for ways to involve the fans who can't afford the premium price !!
They did have a secondary event next door in 2009. It was a cocktail function and players came in and spoke at times during the evening. The main event was streamed live at this secondary function. However the club still needs to make enough money from this event to break even or what is the point of putting it on.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I'll start by saying that I went as a result of winning the SAINTSATIONAL ballot so didn't have to pay the $320.
i didn't know that...congrats mate.......good for you... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for your usual "reasoned"(?) response stringer :roll: