Zac Dawson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Zac Dawson

Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, but should he? Since a surprising decent first up 2009 season when the team was on fire he's really struggled.

His numbers have declined dramatically since 2009, he gives away a stack of free kicks, gets muscled off the ball far too easily by opponents with moderate ability and is limited to one position on the ground.

For mine full-back is a huge weakness, Zac has to go.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He is limited, but you need to find a better option first.

Hopefully he returns to 09 form occasionally shown this and last year, or one of Walsh, Simpkin etc becomes a suitable replacement.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Ajer
Club Player

Not a brilliant player, but Ross Lion has a role for him and Dawson plays that role very well. He struggled a bit towards the end of this season, but so did a lot of players. I definitely see a role for Zac next year and for years to come.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac Dawson

Little Dozer wrote:Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, but should he? Since a surprising decent first up 2009 season when the team was on fire he's really struggled.

His numbers have declined dramatically since 2009, he gives away a stack of free kicks, gets muscled off the ball far too easily by opponents with moderate ability and is limited to one position on the ground.

How many goals did he get kicked on him? How did he do against Cloke in both games?

We have more glaring weaknesses than Zac and FB.

Our mid field is a huge weakness as well as our forward set up at times.

Zac is an easy target. I suggest you stop watching fox footy and stop listening to the likes of Dwayne Russell who highlight Zac's stuff ups. He is actually the least of our problems because if we controlled the midfield, hard ball gets and centre clearances like we used to, I could play down at FB and it wouldn't be an issue.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergsone
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Zac appears to have a future at St Kilda, but should he? Since a surprising decent first up 2009 season when the team was on fire he's really struggled.

How many goals did he get kicked on him? How did he do against Cloke in both games?

Zac is an easy target. I suggest you stop watching fox footy and stop listening to the likes of Dwayne Russell who highlight Zac's stuff ups. He is actually the least of our problems because if we controlled the midfield, hard ball gets and centre clearances like we used to, I could play down at FB and it wouldn't be an issue.
Lining up on a frustrated Barry Hall,like to see that :shock:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He is absolutely useless one on one and relies on teamates to get him out of trouble.
People talk about the number of goals his opponents like Cloke, Buddy, Petrie etc kick on him. It's always because we double and triple team them that they don't kick many against us. If we had a decent full back we'd be able to generate more drive from defense.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will never win a premiership with Dawson in the team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

SaintPav wrote:

In your opinion we might have more glaring weaknesses SaintPav, not in mine. Zac's an easy target because he's not an AFL standard footballer, Hawthorn new that years ago.

Not sure how you dreamed up the Fox Footy inference, I dislike Dwayne Russell immensely, please don't mention that flog in this thread.

I guess I lament the fact that we don't have a Scarlett, Fletcher, Glass, Lake, Reid or someone anywhere near that calibre of player at full-back. I know they aren't easy to find but we can do much better than Zac.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

with some decently paid players retiring/cut could we afford lake?
that's if we're serious about 2012. or do we have greater concerns?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

In your opinion we might have more glaring weaknesses SaintPav, not in mine. Zac's an easy target because he's not an AFL standard footballer, Hawthorn new that years ago.

Not sure how you dreamed up the Fox Footy inference, I dislike Dwayne Russell immensely, please don't mention that flog in this thread.

I guess I lament the fact that we don't have a Scarlett, Fletcher, Glass, Lake, Reid or someone anywhere near that calibre of player at full-back. I know they aren't easy to find but we can do much better than Zac.
Like who? Some experts believe that Zac is a competent footballer and I can't remember him getting mauled in more than one game.

Again, how many goals did he get kicked against him before I start thinking you're Robert Walls?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:He is absolutely useless one on one and relies on teamates to get him out of trouble.
People talk about the number of goals his opponents like Cloke, Buddy, Petrie etc kick on him. It's always because we double and triple team them that they don't kick many against us. If we had a decent full back we'd be able to generate more drive from defense.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we will never win a premiership with Dawson in the team.
Blaming Zac Dawson for not being able to win a flag is bloody weak and lazy thinking.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:We have more glaring weaknesses than Zac and FB.

Our mid field is a huge weakness as well as our forward set up at times..
exactly

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

s*** post.

battye
Saintsational Legend

He's not a bad full back. As someone mentioned above, has anyone kicked a bag against him?

He is often out-muscled in one-on-one's though and it's something he needs to work on.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Hallalj#3
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:He is absolutely useless one on one and relies on teamates to get him out of trouble.
Blaming Zac Dawson for not being able to win a flag is bloody weak and lazy thinking.

Are you Zac Dawson? You just answered your question earlier if our midfield could win the clearence and the hard ball it wouldn't be an issue, I feel that's a massive prooblem that he doesn't win his position when where not playing well, my biggest problem with zac is with the amount of footy he has played he still looks very nervous with the footy and we have to many in the backline with the same problem. So when you say he is the least of our problem it's not right he is part of our biggest problem our skill level against good teams coming out of our back half.. And to answer your question about who has beaten him? Cloke first game, buddy, ohelphan, Petrie second game, Reid.. But he isn't a bad defender, but you need to be so much more these days..

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

how many full backs dont rely on the second and third up. Fletcher made his name doing this.

Even Collingwoods backline looked very worried when they were one on one against geelongs acouple of weeks ago.

The best thing our Zac can do is spend summer in the gym and gain more strength.

saintkellerm
Club Player

I still think he played his best when he was fighting for his position with Maxie, and then when he retired, he was always kncluded. Can sometimes be frustrating esp when i hav seen great backmen such as Max and Danny who were desperate, did anything to stop from scoring anytime it came into the backline. IMHO

saint6
Club Player

Have read this forum for a long time and really dislike the way players are criticised - often with very little justification. Zac is far from our worst problem - he plays his role and does not get beaten very often. His form in the finals last year was outstanding and probably better than 2009 after a bad start to the season and apparently having been ill. If not for a little bad luck in the 2009 grand final he could have won it for us. Remember that spoil where the ball bounced over one of our players heads and in to the arms of ablett?
The only games in which I have seen him really struggle this year were the game against essendon and round 24 against o'halpin. In all other games he has still been competitive which is more than you could say for some of our stars at times.
Perhaps we should all look at the real issue with our game this year - poor delivery in to our forward line. Actually thought the move by ross of putting zac up forward in the carlton game was great - it was nice to see a fast player who could mark and kick. But who do we replace him with down back? If you look at the work he does off the ball - shepparding and supporting his team mares you can see why he is in the team

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think we now have 16 players availble for next year so we are going to have to go to pick 709 to fill our list. Zac has to go what rubbish. If there is a better replacement you can actually play in the seconds. It isnt against the rules to do that but you dont get rid of a FB without a logical replacement. And to BS we may not win a flag with Dawson the side but we also may not with Lenny, Dal and Rooy either. By the way Dawson was rated one of our best players by the coaches in all 3 GF's.

Faulky
Club Player

I am not a big Dawson fan however, I do not think Dawson should have the best forward as I think if he played half back flank on a second or third rate forward you would see a different player as he does have a good left foot. Surely Walsh or Simpkin could go full back??

FOUNDATION Social Club Member!
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

battye wrote:He's not a bad full back. As someone mentioned above, has anyone kicked a bag against him?.

Not the point.
Our defence sets up to nullify big forwards so they are always going to struggle to kick goals against us with or without dawson.

He missed 2 games this year against the blues (ohalphin kicked 1) and against the swans (white kicked 1).

Does Zac also take the credit for stopping big forwards when he isn't playing??

Anyone who doesn't realise he is a shadow of the player he was in 09 is kidding themselves.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:
battye wrote:He's not a bad full back. As someone mentioned above, has anyone kicked a bag against him?.

Not the point.
Our defence sets up to nullify big forwards so they are always going to struggle to kick goals against us with or without dawson.

He missed 2 games this year against the blues (ohalphin kicked 1) and against the swans (white kicked 1).

Does Zac also take the credit for stopping big forwards when he isn't playing??

Anyone who doesn't realise he is a shadow of the player he was in 09 is kidding themselves.
He's essentially the same player now as he was in 09. Love the logic on getting credit for games he missed.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 15 Sep 2011 11:22am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Are you Zac Dawson? You just answered your question earlier if our midfield could win the clearence and the hard ball it wouldn't be an issue, I feel that's a massive prooblem that he doesn't win his position when where not playing well, my biggest problem with zac is with the amount of footy he has played he still looks very nervous with the footy and we have to many in the backline with the same problem. So when you say he is the least of our problem it's not right he is part of our biggest problem our skill level against good teams coming out of our back half.. And to answer your question about who has beaten him? Cloke first game, buddy, ohelphan, Petrie second game, Reid.. But he isn't a bad defender, but you need to be so much more these days..
It is lazy thinking becuase he is an easy target and a scapegoat that supporters love to hate. I said he was competent. I didn't say he was great. Even the best defenders struggle when you are getting beaten in the midfield.

Roos game on Saturday night was in many ways much worse than Zacs. There were others.

He will never be a Scarlett but he plays his role. My main point is that he is not the reason that we lost or for the way we are going. Also, we currently have no one else and don't write that Simpkin would be better.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

s*** post.
But nothing different from this poster unfortunately.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spert
Saintsational Legend

Zac was one of our better players in GFs, so maybe look at the real culprits for GF failure first. I reckon Zac could hold down CHF and put Roo back at FF next season. Simpkin would be a backline regular next season.

saintbob
SS Life Member

+1