Michael Nettlefold on Footy Classified

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What a disgusting display from pure media scum.

Fat Gary Lyon sat back while his "mates" did the job on Nettlefold..led by Thomas with a clear personal agenda.

Lets look at the statements (cause they werent questions)

1.Youve got no kids coming through...could you blame Ross for leaving (thery actually asked Nettlefold this)
2. Youve lost members (we have a record membership)
3. You dont have commercial sponorship for level 2 of Etihad (we do)
4. The coach on the ground after game was apparently saying goodbye
.........and then sm@rt @ss Lyon chips in (who wont say anything bout Melbourne coaching process and chucks a tantrum when questioned)

5. Does Lyon have a "get out" clause in his contract?

Not 1 question remotely suggesting or even recognising the clubs had a shocker year and been admirable in turning that around.......the lack of respect for Nettlefold was f#cking amazing.

All the while f@t @rse Lyon sat back smirking like "I know something you dont know..."....Seriously, if Ross Lyon left to that shyte of a club Id be stumped supremely dissapointed in the man.

NOWS the time to stand up Ross. NOWS the time for real nerve.

And that fat slug Thomas should be black banned from our club completely. Pure scum using the media for personal vendetta.

“Yeah….nah””
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

hungry for a premiership wrote:WELL,

After that interview I am convinced Ross won't be at the saints next year. Nettlefold is simply not desperate enough to keep him, and Gary Lyon is desperate to get him.

From what Nettlefold said, it is clear that they are not going to offer Ross a big contract. They'll just give him a one year extension after 2012, and expect him to get in line.

"Luke Ball," anyone? No one expected him to go. He was undervalued and was expected to stay in line and take what the saints offered him. But he didn't.

This same scenario is now playing itself out with Lyon.

Nettlefold admitted by avoiding the question that there is a get-out clause in the contract, but said Lyon would stay because "it is not in the spirit of the contract to walk out on it."

Err, earth to Michael, "the spirit of the contract" counts for SFA.

In my eyes they are treating what we have, a coach we picked and have built up and who has become one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the comp, with reckless abandon and aloofness and even contempt.

There is a massive offer coming in for Ross from Melbourne this week and we haven't even begun contract re-negotiations.

If this administration allows Ross to go by not giving him what he deserves I'll be so filthy that I will protest by exercising my right to not buy a membership next year, as well as a strongly worded letter that conveys by bitterness.
Totally agree with you mate. Reckon something stinks about this whole thing. Its sounding more and more like Bomber Thompson & Geelong every day..... :roll: :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

'forseeable future'

What is that?

Could be until tomorrow...

Gave away about as much as any other pressy though, absolutely nothing.

What I did believe though, was that he has not given any thought to what happens if he walks this year.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What a disgusting display from pure media scum.

Fat Gary Lyon sat back while his "mates" did the job on Nettlefold..led by Thomas with a clear personal agenda.

Lets look at the statements (cause they werent questions)

1.Youve got no kids coming through...could you blame Ross for leaving (thery actually asked Nettlefold this)
2. Youve lost members (we have a record membership)
3. You dont have commercial sponorship for level 2 of Etihad (we do)
4. The coach on the ground after game was apparently saying goodbye
.........and then sm@rt @ss Lyon chips in (who wont say anything bout Melbourne coaching process and chucks a tantrum when questioned)

5. Does Lyon have a "get out" clause in his contract?

Not 1 question remotely suggesting or even recognising the clubs had a shocker year and been admirable in turning that around.......the lack of respect for Nettlefold was f#cking amazing.

All the while f@t @rse Lyon sat back smirking like "I know something you dont know..."....Seriously, if Ross Lyon left to that shyte of a club Id be stumped supremely dissapointed in the man.

NOWS the time to stand up Ross. NOWS the time for real nerve.

And that fat slug Thomas should be black banned from our club completely. Pure scum using the media for personal vendetta.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Grant desperately wants Ross to stay though, it's all his talked about for weeks?

Saint Mik
Club Player

Can someone tell me why GT is a supporter of our club :shock:

The bloke has a go at 7500 members not re signing yet says nothing about record membership.

Gary looked very sheepish and said nothing, he is in it up to his ears.

The way the money has come into the game, nobody could blame Ross if he did go.

I though MN handled himself very well, can only answer half arsed unless you want a headline on back page of papers.

Stuff the media and give them nothing is best option.

GT you are a flog, let go will ya the cord was cut a long time ago.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Buckets
SS Life Member

hungry for a premiership wrote:WELL,

After that interview I am convinced Ross won't be at the saints next year. Nettlefold is simply not desperate enough to keep him, and Gary Lyon is desperate to get him.

From what Nettlefold said, it is clear that they are not going to offer Ross a big contract. They'll just give him a one year extension after 2012, and expect him to get in line.

"Luke Ball," anyone? No one expected him to go. He was undervalued and was expected to stay in line and take what the saints offered him. But he didn't.

This same scenario is now playing itself out with Lyon.

Nettlefold admitted by avoiding the question that there is a get-out clause in the contract, but said Lyon would stay because "it is not in the spirit of the contract to walk out on it."

In my eyes they are treating what we have, a coach we picked and have built up and who has become one of the top 2 or 3 coaches in the comp, with reckless abandon and aloofness and even contempt.

There is a massive offer coming in for Ross from Melbourne this week and we haven't even begun contract re-negotiations.

If this administration allows Ross to go by not giving him what he deserves I'll be so filthy that I will protest by exercising my right to not buy a membership next year, as well as a strongly worded letter that conveys by bitterness.

Well sorry to burst the bubble but the Dees already offered him a gig. Doesn't mean he will take it. Hell goes against his philosophy at the club.

In Ross I trust and I trust he will stay and prove a lot of people wrong!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why couldnt he just adress the questions put to him with a bit of certainty....

Surely he knew what was coming and had time to think about some better thought out answers.....he looked like an imbecile....unsure and trotting out utter crap....

Have some conviction

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why couldnt he just adress the questions put to him with a bit of certainty....

Surely he knew what was coming and had time to think about some better thought out answers.....he looked like an imbecile....unsure and trotting out utter crap....

Have some conviction
But he is unsure?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Why the hell should anyone at the club tell the world the details of Lyon's contract?

If the media wants to crap on about "get out clauses" then let them. But they do not have a right to know.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why couldnt he just adress the questions put to him with a bit of certainty....

Have some conviction
Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Have some conviction
Id blame Ross Lyons tactics match day...that seems to eb the answer to all our problems yeah?

FWIW Nettlefold should not have gone on the show.
I would never go on the show again.

He answered questions as well as he could but they didnt want that - how many times did they say..."oh yeah but a contract means nothing"

Why the ferk have them then?

This is a disgrace and a farce.

“Yeah….nah””
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Have some conviction
Not sure I'd be this rough on him but I do agree, he did come across pretty unsure and really didn't give one definitive answer. I came away from the interview even more confused about St.Kilda's stance on RL.... I agree with others on the board, its looking more and more likely by the day he could be heading out the door

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Have some conviction
Id blame Ross Lyons tactics match day...that seems to eb the answer to all our problems yeah?

He answered questions as well as he could but they didnt want that - how many times did they say..."oh yeah but a contract means nothing"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6135246826

Similar vibe, they are scolding the club in a manner like they let him fall out of contract, that's the part I'm not comprehending?

PS Also nice mixup of names, pfft!

Edit: Caro's view http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/st-k ... 1k625.html
Last edited by SainterK on Tue 13 Sep 2011 1:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Vazelos
Club Player

Spot on Teflon, a disgraceful treatment of a CEO of a club thats done everything but win the Premiership in the last ten years. Have we put out our hand for hand outs from the AFL?
I would be very nervous if G Lyon actually represented a club with any relevance but they are a weak club that only has one thing going for it and that is it has the city's name and thats about it.

This R Lyon episode must be dealt quickly otherwise this media momentum is going to grow into a monster. What are these d#ck heads going to say if lyon resigns with us. If they had solid evidence he was leaving hutchinson would have found out and hammered Nettlefold over it but they have nothing.

Thomas is a disgrace on so many levels. He turned our club into a mockery, his flaws as a character came out when he was given the autonomy at our club and that is when you see the value & ethics of a man, when he is given the privelege of power. He had it and he abused it.

Thats why thomas will never be welcome back at our club, fancy throwing a cheap line at the start of the interview to Nettlefold about something said ten years ago. Imagine if the vault was open on thomas, he would be crucified!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Have some conviction

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6135246826

Similar vibe, they are scolding the club in a manner like they let him fall out of contract, that's the part I'm not comprehending?

PS Also nice mixup of names, pfft!
What a farce. Do you believe that sh!t? It's all innuendo.

The Age will have a completly different headline tomorrow.

Sheesh.. :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

as opposed to this
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1k625.html
THE future of St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has moved closer to resolution with the coach's manager Craig Kelly confirming the pair will meet in the coming days to map out a contract strategy. And the Saints CEO Michael Nettlefold has reiterated his intention to extend Lyon's contract at least until 2014.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It looks obvious Lyon wants 3 years. Club wants 2. FFS just give him 3 - its gonna take 4 after next year to rebuild it properly anyway.

And any 2 cent coin Melbourne can cobble together - be stuffed if we couldnt match.......cant believe we are being bullied by a club thats insovlent and propped up by the good will of the competition.

What a shyte club they are...

“Yeah….nah””
linmarnic
Club Player

Tom_Sainter wrote:

Have some conviction
Not sure I'd be this rough on him but I do agree, he did come across pretty unsure and really didn't give one definitive answer. I came away from the interview even more confused about St.Kilda's stance on RL.... I agree with others on the board, its looking more and more likely by the day he could be heading out the door
Not sure what else MN could have said. He is unsure because there are still discussions to be had, not just re money and contract length but also plans for the future re the list etc. These discussions were always going to be had after Pelchin's appointment and when the season was over.

Never give up
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:It looks obvious Lyon wants 3 years. Club wants 2. FFS just give him 3 - its gonna take 4 after next year to rebuild it properly anyway.
Especially if he can just walk away at any time and contracts don't mean anything :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:It looks obvious Lyon wants 3 years. Club wants 2. FFS just give him 3 - its gonna take 4 after next year to rebuild it properly anyway.
Especially if he can just walk away at any time and contracts don't mean anything :wink:
so we are told.

may as well let him sign with Melbourne then offer him 6m to come back....what a disgrace.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:It looks obvious Lyon wants 3 years. Club wants 2.
Unless I'm blind or can't read, I didn't see that in the article.

People are making a lot of stuff up.

Ross is probably going to get a nice pay rise out of this and Melbourne may actually be interested in a bloke who has yet to finish his year. You know, the bloke who works across the road.

Vazelos
Club Player

There is no one better at this stage to take this club further. The club needs stability. Its a sign to our members and the football world that we can indeed resign our second greatest coach in our history. I feel great satisfaction that this core team bar Ball who was not considered an a Lister has been retained for the first time in our history. No Lockett or Ian stewart departures. we have shown a strong culture and an ability to retain our best players, now its time to retain our coach.

This theory of a coach having his time is crap. Sir Alex Ferguson has been at Man Utd since 1985, the coach stays if he is the right man, players come and go. we would only be able to attract a recycled coach like Rocket eade or a start up coach and we as a club dont need that.

I dont see anyone better in my view, he has the respect of the players and we need stability and strength now as we head into the twighlight of this great core group of players that have been together since 2003.

Give him what he wants within reasonable parameters, if they dont they are crazy.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:It looks obvious Lyon wants 3 years. Club wants 2.
Unless I'm blind or can't read, I didn't see that in the article.

People are making a lot of stuff up.

Ross is probably going to get a nice pay rise out of this and Melbourne may actually be interested in a bloke who has yet to finish his year. You know, the bloke who works across the road.
Im going off Tony 74 - could be wrong but when he says Lyon wants 3 years Im assuming 3 on top of the 1 next year so in effect 4?

Either way, just do it.

And yer I too thought it could all be a smokescreen for malthouse...we'll see....but I dont reckon G Lyon would cross hos boyfriend and station manager Maguire...its a club FFS.

“Yeah….nah””
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote: Nettlefold admitted by avoiding the question that there is a get-out clause in the contract, but said Lyon would stay because "it is not in the spirit of the contract to walk out on it."

If this administration allows Ross to go by not giving him what he deserves I'll be so filthy
"spirit of the contract"

oh dear

FAIR DINKUM

This club is run by a pack of clowns!

The current board is responsible for sending the club to Seaford without one word about it while they were seeking the members vote and then announce this rubbish almost immediately once they are elected.

The previous administration delivered Ross Lyon and this board have been riding on the coat tails of this appointment ever since.

We have a brilliant coach and should move heaven and earth to sign him up for the LONG ( not medium ) TERM!

If this current board....for example only offer a two year extension while Melbourne offer him a five year deal and he ups and leaves as a result then these clowns should be booted immediately.

The current board inherited Ross Lyon from the previous administration who by the way were intent on relocating the club as close to St kilda as possible before being ousted by these idiots and if they now mess this up and Lyon leaves then they should all resign en masse on the very same day for their buffoonery and serial incompetence.