Baker didnt retire

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Steve Baker should be offered the very highest level of respect one can give.
A B&F winner in a very strong era I struggle to remember a game in his 203 where he let us down. He was a phenomenal competitor, amazing strength in body and mind and a great character around the club as well, he will be sorely missed.

This type of warrior does not normally retire easy, he is the opposite in DNA to an Aussie Jones who struggled with training and the grind of the battle.

I dont know where the mix up lies but its a shame thet Bakes feels the way he does. Its always better when they exit with absolutely nothing left and with no regrets. Its always easier when you have won a premiership.

Winmar
Club Player

I had a dream this morning that I was talking to Bakes about his retirement. He wasn't overly happy about it.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately the club needs to act, whittle the list down, make room on our salary cap, reload and move forward.

I'm sad for all those delisted. I've been a massive fan of Bakes, loved what Gardiner brought to the Saints, but looking forward we can't be sentimental. Time is of the essence. We've seen so many club champs come and go, I dare say we'll see more before our next flag.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I think players jumping on twitter to bitch is the height of f****** disrespect to an institution that has served them incredibly well for a long period.

Any sportsman who thinks they have a right to another deal 'just because' is a fool. Any sportsman who doesn't know when the cards are stacked is an even bigger one.

Sad and unnecessary way for two genuine footsoldiers to depart. Leaves a sour taste.

This is a real unintelligent post.

The players didnt bitch. Just clarified that they didn't retire. In the odd chance another club would be interested... they are still keen, eager and motivated to play AFL football.

Not sad at all. In fact if you had the information in front of you of what they said... You might have a different opinion.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:I think the events of last night (player/s being pushed to retire? ) are a sign that Ross will be with us for a while.
I hoped for the same - I mean why would you bother if u were leaving?

“Yeah….nah””
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Looks as if Bakes may be headed to GWS.... Good luck to him

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1k49z.html

Winmar
Club Player

Good luck to him. I hope he gets picked up.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Tom_Sainter wrote:Looks as if Bakes may be headed to GWS.... Good luck to him

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1k49z.html
If Bakes had been such a prick about not letting go, doing the twitter thing, why should Ross do anything to help him go to GWS?

Is it so he's not retiring, and hence prevents Baker taking legal action against the club?

If so, I hope he gets a gig with GWS, if not, on ya bike.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Thinline wrote:I think players jumping on twitter to bitch is the height of f****** disrespect to an institution that has served them incredibly well for a long period.

Any sportsman who thinks they have a right to another deal 'just because' is a fool. Any sportsman who doesn't know when the cards are stacked is an even bigger one.

Sad and unnecessary way for two genuine footsoldiers to depart. Leaves a sour taste.

This is a real unintelligent post.

The players didnt bitch. Just clarified that they didn't retire. In the odd chance another club would be interested... they are still keen, eager and motivated to play AFL football.

Not sad at all. In fact if you had the information in front of you of what they said... You might have a different opinion.
Put it this way... If I was them and I had a gripe with the way something was said, I would get on the blower to the person who said it and ask them to rectify it. Personally, I would not take the cheap route - social media. I would think such a route was far from unintelligent. In fact I'd reckon it was probably the stuff of adults behaving properly and respectfully.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup
id be hitting up the coach
and id be telling him to say it like it is
if they cant say anything due to trades etc etc, then nothing should be said