Jack Steven the success story of 2011

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Jack Steven the success story of 2011

The emergence of Jack Steven is the best news of 2011 for the Saints. He is an emerging A List midfielder and I am looking forward to a mid field of next year of: Hayes, Montagna, Steven, Dal Santo, Armitage with Ledger looking another likely type.

With Lenny back watch how our mid field will work. I am quite excited.

I am hoping Ledger, Cripps and Siposs can step up next year and we find another ruck/forward option with the expected retirement of Gardiner and possibly Blake.

I am quite positive for 2012, have not put the cue in the rack just yet for 2011 but hoping rather than expecting big things.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

8-) yep

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He's been a revelation of sorts.

Just needs to lose the beard.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Your not grant thomas are you sainternist? Mini was never the same after he lost the serial killer moustache. The beard at least makes him look a little bit over 15.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Your not grant thomas are you sainternist? Mini was never the same after he lost the serial killer moustache. The beard at least makes him look a little bit over 15.
how true!

i wonder if that is why he grew it! he does look a little older with the beard

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
gringo wrote:Your not grant thomas are you sainternist? Mini was never the same after he lost the serial killer moustache. The beard at least makes him look a little bit over 15.
how true!

i wonder if that is why he grew it! he does look a little older with the beard
But it doesn't make him look older. It makes him look like he's trying to look older.

Bum fluff - get rid of it!

And for the record, I'm not GT and I'm quite happy about the fact I'm not him :)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If he'd stayed down the surf coast he would be burning it down with a bong while growing his hair.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

think of what we could have done last year if we developed Steven instead of persisting with Mini

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:think of what we could have done last year if we developed Steven instead of persisting with Mini
Given he had OP, I shudder to think.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Jack and Bic Mac are both a huge positives this year. With these 2 plus the emergance of Sipposs, Lynch Ledger and we could well challange again next year

I love this club
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

McQualter is a quality unit.

Stevens is special though.

McEvoy goes alright as well.

Maybe steven wasn't ready last year? Maybe RL got it right by bringing him on now.

Just enjoy i guess, RL has done little wrong in the last 2 1/2 years.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:McQualter is a quality unit.

Maybe steven wasn't ready last year? Maybe RL got it right by bringing him on now.

You are spot on about RL. I have questioned how some of the young blokes have been managed, but Steven and Ben are proving that we have a god coach. Some have suggested he should be gawn, but I am pleased that the club has shown strenght when he was being bagged earlier in the year.

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:McQualter is a quality unit.

You are spot on about RL. I have questioned how some of the young blokes have been managed, but Steven and Ben are proving that we have a god coach. Some have suggested he should be gawn, but I am pleased that the club has shown strenght when he was being bagged earlier in the year.
Well the 2011 model Peake would have been handy last year too.

No good worrying about the past; can't change it. It's all about the future. And although it's been a disappointing season thus far, there have been some good signs. Steven, Big Mac and Peake are definitely among them.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me, or has Jack's improvement coincided with Armo's slump in form? As Steven has gotten better by the week, Armo seems to have gone backwards.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Is it just me, or has Jack's improvement coincided with Armo's slump in form? As Steven has gotten better by the week, Armo seems to have gone backwards.
I think you're right. It looks like Jack has taken Armos spot and flourished. There's no reason why they all can't rotate through the midfield though.

Jack's "beard" makes him look like Dan Kelly (Ned Kelly's younger brother who also might have been trying to look older, lol). :)

GO JACK! :D

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He would have to be right up there in the rising star award.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he would have been played more if his groins didn't blow up. The guy was a long wait but Ross wasn't playing Armo and steven because when spots opened up they were injured. I remember one of the Saints players called on radio that he'd win the rising star award in his first year after watching him at training, so they must have rated him. The club officials let out that he might be the next Robert Harvey, so I don't think it was a conspiracy to inflict a long apprenticeship on him.

Vazelos
Club Player

It will be interesting what RL does with Armitage considering he does not cover the ground at the level he demands. Ball was exited due to this as we all know. Armitage is 50/50 for me long term, it will depend on who keeps coming through.

I think for 2012, A List mid fielders will be:

Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, Steven

with Armitage, Jones etc playing their roles.

You cannot put a price on an A Lister coming through, Steven is just so exciting. He is strong, has pace, can get the ball, can use the ball quite well.

Lets hope another one of the 3 talented 2011 debutants can also step up next year. Ledger looks likely to be something, Cripps and Siposs have their obvious qualities also.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I still think Crocker could be something special too. A really good haul of small mids this time and surely one will come good at least. One player being elite can make all the difference, the Pies really came on because they had three guys lift into that elite category and a solid core of very good players not far behind, now they are probably a better team than the best of Geelongs recent teams.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:Is it just me, or has Jack's improvement coincided with Armo's slump in form? As Steven has gotten better by the week, Armo seems to have gone backwards.
Of course, because since Steven has gone into the middle, Ross and co. have pretty much refused to play Armo in there, despite him being far better suited there than in the forward line.
I haven't seen Armo in at a centre bounce in weeks and weeks.
If Hayes comes back as hoped next year, and Jack continues as he is, there will be little need for Armo in the side (he won't get anywhere the midfield, if Hayes and Jack are in there), so if we're seriously interested in Mitch Clark, I imagine Armo will be front and centre on the trade table for that one.
If they would take Armo and Rhys Stanley (and perhaps a latish draft pick) for Clark, that could be a pretty good deal all around and we really could be back in business as early as next year (if we're not this year).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Of course, because since Steven has gone into the middle, Ross and co. have pretty much refused to play Armo in there, despite him being far better suited there than in the forward line.
I haven't seen Armo in at a centre bounce in weeks and weeks.
If Hayes comes back as hoped next year, and Jack continues as he is, there will be little need for Armo in the side (he won't get anywhere the midfield, if Hayes and Jack are in there), so if we're seriously interested in Mitch Clark, I imagine Armo will be front and centre on the trade table for that one.
If they would take Armo and Rhys Stanley (and perhaps a latish draft pick) for Clark, that could be a pretty good deal all around and we really could be back in business as early as next year (if we're not this year).
If only Armo could turn himself into an outside mid. I think we are a tall short as well ad a hard running mid in the mold of Ryan Griffin. I would love to gain the services of Bernie Vince as well as Mitch Clarke.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

armo had 9 possessions including 4 contested....3 clearances and 3 tackles in a quarter and a bit of ground time yesterday.....not half bad imhfo...about the same as ray, lynch,dempster , dawson and chips could muster in a whole game..... :wink: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If it was up to me I'd happily have Armo and Jack in the middle at the same time, but since that doesn't look likely to happen, I'd rather have Mitch Clarke up forward than Armo.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:If it was up to me I'd happily have Armo and Jack in the middle at the same time, but since that doesn't look likely to happen, I'd rather have Mitch Clarke up forward than Armo.
Why are we choosing between Mitch Clark and Armitage?
I'm pretty sure the Lions would roll around laughing at the thought of Armitage, Stanley and a late pick for Mitch Clark.
Anything is possible, but that is not going to happen.
They might look at something like our first pick and a decent B grade player - Gwilt or Gilbert ilk.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dal really might make a move down back, especially given the shift in the game and the need for good kicks, then we will need Steven and Armo in the middle?