Blight bags Thomas in Biography by Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:[Did he 'sue' though, or just 'claim' it?

Wasn't it owed to him? I didn't think he sued for damages or anything, I thought he just wanted what was legally owed to him?

Because if that's the case, then I think there's a difference. If it was owed to him, then surely no one can expect him to donate $200k to the club! No matter how much he says he loves the joint!
I suppose it doesn't matter - semantics over the word suing doesn't help.

Court found he was entitled to $200k. I doubt many on here owed $200k after being sacked would not seek it out of loyalty to that employer.

Allegedly GT had plenty of debts at the time and the $200k would have paid a % of those off.

I remember he had to pay back $1 mill to Butters, so the $200k is small fry in comparision.
Yes, at the end of the day the court upheld his "contract" for annual leave... written on a paper napkin... and in spite of the fact that he was contracting himself (at great expense) via a services company and in arguably any other industry would have been liable for his own annual leave within the contracted rate... very dubious decision...

And the signature on the napkin a joint party in an outside interest... probably illegal in corporate law, but a sporting club isn't exactly a typical corporate entity...

Bled for the club did they? F*** me. More like bled the club.

And brought the club out of the dark ages? With employment contract clauses written on serviettes? Ho ho ho.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
SainterSoul
Club Player

Spinner wrote:What could have been if there was at minimum an uncorrupted process for selecting a coach.
Yep. We will never know.

What a c**k up that whole period of time was.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:And the signature on the napkin a joint party in an outside interest... probably illegal in corporate law, but a sporting club isn't exactly a typical corporate entity...
Maybe, but if I remember my contract law correctly an agreement does not even have to be written to be binding. A verbal agreement is sufficent.

Written on a Napkin. toilet paper, or on a blackboard with chalk, if there is sufficent evidence there was an agreement (this is the difficulty with verbal agreements), the contract may be legally binding.

I cant see with GT did wrong. The court found he was entitled to the money sought. These entitlements were denied him when his employment was terminated by the club.

I defy anyone on here who would forego $200k in entitlements after being sacked, if they could get them.

In fact GT would have been foolsih in the extreme NOT to persue his (now found to be fair) entitlements.

And Thomas aint foolish.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bozza1980
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:And the signature on the napkin a joint party in an outside interest... probably illegal in corporate law, but a sporting club isn't exactly a typical corporate entity...
Maybe, but if I remember my contract law correctly an agreement does not even have to be written to be binding. A verbal agreement is sufficent.

Written on a Napkin. toilet paper, or on a blackboard with chalk, if there is sufficent evidence there was an agreement (this is the difficulty with verbal agreements), the contract may be legally binding.

I cant see with GT did wrong. The court found he was entitled to the money sought. These entitlements were denied him when his employment was terminated by the club.

I defy anyone on here who would forego $200k in entitlements after being sacked, if they could get them.

In fact GT would have been foolsih in the extreme NOT to persue his (now found to be fair) entitlements.

And Thomas aint foolish.
I agree.

The hysteria that has existed on here about Thomas seeking his annual leave entitlement and prior to that his negotiating for better and better contracts for himself, have bordered on the ridiculous.

At the end of the day he had and has every right, like the rest of us to seek the best possible deal and to seek what he is owed once the deal has been terminated.

Just because his employer is the club we love does not mean he loses these rights.

If people want to be upset at anyone for the arrangements they should be upset at the club for agreeing to them in the first place.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt he put in as caretaker, for seven games.....do you need a process for that....

I suppose he impressed the committe in that period enough to have faith in giving him the ull time gig...

This has happened countless times... Primus being the last....

Roos was given the job due to supporter backlash, were there incorrect not to follow process...

And the court thing
If the guys owed money......he should be paid.
Why do people on here act like people working for the club should devote themselves like supporters....its a job, their livlihood....not a bit of weekend fun
Should people forego a few 100k just to help out their employers and satisfy annonymous supporters, who only like them for the jumper they wear
I mean, who the F*** does that

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Might be me but has someone at St.Kilda stepped on all the wrong feet?

I mean... It's become almost part of the coverage of the game over the last 18 months to dig the boot into the St.Kilda footy club any chance people can get.... so much so that I don't bother paying attention to the media at all anymore just so I can still enjoy my love for the Saints and the game without feeling like I've done something wrong just for loving the St.Kilda footy club.

Is it because the saints were so closed off from the media over the past few years or because of the Milne and Matlhouse saga(Eddie's influence reaches far and the club has never been treated the same by the papers since that night... just an idea of mine)?? The footy media is so full of sheep that one person will write something and 20 other journos who wouldn't be able to get a kick to save themselves will just roll with that.... It's pathetic coverage to say the least.

People bag out St.Kilda's game plan.... BUT every team plays a forward press now.... It's just hilarious.

As for this well Tim Watson writes an entire book about Malcolm Blight football life and the media only focus on the negative St.Kilda aspect..... AM I SURPRISED????? NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I just hope that one day, one of the St.Kilda staff that had to put up with Blight's "weird" behaviour has the courage to write about it. People like Brian Phelan the HR Manager, Waldo and GT himself. From smoking in the coaches box against Essendon and throwing up his hands in defeat after ten minutes, to tearing strips off people for no apparent reason and for just plain old absenteeism, Malcolm the "Super Coach" did it all. The clincher was when Butterss and Thomas asked him for his master plan for the club. A one page document with several bullet points on it was the last straw, I'm led to believe. I wish GT would unload on him to set the record straight once and for all. He was lazy, uncommitted and bizarre to put it mildly. Thoroughly deserved his fate.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Might be me but has someone at St.Kilda stepped on all the wrong feet?

I mean... It's become almost part of the coverage of the game over the last 18 months to dig the boot into the St.Kilda footy club any chance people can get.... so much so that I don't bother paying attention to the media at all anymore just so I can still enjoy my love for the Saints and the game without feeling like I've done something wrong just for loving the St.Kilda footy club.

Is it because the saints were so closed off from the media over the past few years or because of the Milne and Matlhouse saga(Eddie's influence reaches far and the club has never been treated the same by the papers since that night... just an idea of mine)?? The footy media is so full of sheep that one person will write something and 20 other journos who wouldn't be able to get a kick to save themselves will just roll with that.... It's pathetic coverage to say the least.

People bag out St.Kilda's game plan.... BUT every team plays a forward press now.... It's just hilarious.

As for this well Tim Watson writes an entire book about Malcolm Blight football life and the media only focus on the negative St.Kilda aspect..... AM I SURPRISED????? NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST.
I would have thought that was the most interesting part of the book. I fail to see how it is negative to the current St Kilda footy club anyway.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:And the court thing
Why do people on here act like people working for the club should devote themselves like supporters....its a job, their livlihood....not a bit of weekend fun
Should people forego a few 100k just to help out their employers and satisfy annonymous supporters, who only like them for the jumper they wear
Can you imagine getting sacked by your employer, with them not giving you any entitlements owed (severence is a different matter), especially it being $200k and them sitting back saying...thats OK I love the organisation that just terminated my employment, I'll let them keep my $200k.

I have plenty of critisism of GT over certain things, but this is certainly not one of them.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
stinger wrote:blight is simply a different kind of cat......he always had a disdain for the saints.....and bagged us out interstate talking about the saints "culture".....i see that that aspect doesn't get a mention.......i would support thomas everyday over that arsehole.....to me watson is just trying to further embarrass this club.....what he forgets is that he is the embarrassment......not us.....

...i won't be buying his book... :evil:
its not his book, its timmy's
yes...and that's what i said ..

"..to me watson is just trying to further embarrass this club.....what he forgets is that he is the embarrassment......not us.....

...i won't be buying his book."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

A lot of very short memories on here, or opinions from people who never took a close look in the first place.

How about the $100,000 hush money, on terms that Butterss claimed Thomas had violated?

Oh yes... if Thomas loved the club so much... how come he could never f%^*ing shut up about it?

Remember this one?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Easy to forget, with all the other rubbish that has gone on, what a thorn in St. Kilda's side Thomas insisted on being, in all the years since he was sacked.

In amongst all the other money Thomas and Butterss agreed to pay themselves (and each other) - Thomas getting well above the market rate in his second and third years as coach...

It just adds up, and up...

Oh, no money for the footy department? We might be able to squeeze something in next year's budget.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Alves played 250 games elsewhere.......he's not a saint...

He was a saints coach..... An OK one

Jeans is a saint.....he coached 3 prems for hawthorn
Parkin is a hawk......coach prems at carlton
Matthews will always be a hawk

Why is everyone so against a guy who built a list, coached us to three successive finals campaigns....loves the club.....played for the club....
Has never said a bad word about Lyon, rates lyon as a great coach, admires the players....

Its like he is the anti-saint....

Yes he was disappointed at being sacked.......whats the issue with that...

good call.....sensible call..... :wink: 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:A lot of very short memories on here, or opinions from people who never took a close look in the first place.

How about the $100,000 hush money, on terms that Butterss claimed Thomas had violated?

Oh yes... if Thomas loved the club so much... how come he could never f%^*ing shut up about it?

Remember this one?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

Easy to forget, with all the other rubbish that has gone on, what a thorn in St. Kilda's side Thomas insisted on being, in all the years since he was sacked.

In amongst all the other money Thomas and Butterss agreed to pay themselves (and each other) - Thomas getting well above the market rate in his second and third years as coach...

It just adds up, and up...

Oh, no money for the footy department? We might be able to squeeze something in next year's budget.
Gt may have got above the normal rate for a coach of his standing but he was basically doing to jobs so he was saving money for the club in that regard. Also how do you know GT worked out his own salary and even if he did that isnt his fault he was paid. That is the boards fault and Buterss isnt the only one on the board. They could have out voted him. I love the fact that people seem to know exactly what went on with Gt and his salary but lets face it, it is all guess work and if you cant stand GT you will slant your argument that way and if you like him you will slant it another way. Anyway you look at it though is GT was entitled to all monies owed.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Thomas was not an employee of the club. His services were contracted on a substantial six-figure sum via a business enitity of which he was the director, with all the tax breaks that that entails. Annual leave should have been nothing to do with the club just as payroll tax and insurance would not have been.

He got his pound of flesh, and more.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure the relevance of the article

He was out of line wrt milney, poor call.....perhaps his worst

Correct in his criticism on the scandal...poorly handled

He is a media commentator....should he forego that income also for the sake of the club.....his outspoken nature should be the same for every club if he wants credibility.....he should do us no favours if he is objective in his 'new role' he is no longer coach.....and allen jeans never had a job in the media

He hits more than just stk.....i'll give you the drum.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Thomas was not an employee of the club. His services were contracted on a substantial six-figure sum via a business enitity of which he was the director, with all the tax breaks that that entails. Annual leave should have been nothing to do with the club just as payroll tax and insurance would not have been.

So the courts got it wrong?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like he got

Entitlements...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:Thomas was not an employee of the club. His services were contracted on a substantial six-figure sum via a business enitity of which he was the director, with all the tax breaks that that entails. Annual leave should have been nothing to do with the club just as payroll tax and insurance would not have been.

So the courts got it wrong?
Well Greg Westaway sure wasn't happy with the decision.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Not sure the relevance of the article

The relevance of the article is that he won his hush money without having to comply with its terms.

I'm sure that part of it has never occurred to him, or if it has, I wonder how he sleeps at night.

And above all, is the issue of how he treated the club he was supposed to "love" - he made out very handsomely from the whole adventure while creating a great deal of financial trouble and negative publicity in his wake.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We dont win many cases in court, do we??

Richter
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:Not sure the relevance of the article

The relevance of the article is that he won his hush money without having to comply with its terms.

I'm sure that part of it has never occurred to him, or if it has, I wonder how he sleeps at night.

And above all, is the issue of how he treated the club he was supposed to "love" - he made out very handsomely from the whole adventure while creating a great deal of financial trouble and negative publicity in his wake.
InkerSaint, the memory of this stuff for me is a bit grey now, but I remember thinking at the time that I could not think of anything that GT had said after his dismissal that would warrant withholding of $ involved in a settlement. My memory is of surprise at GT's somewhat dignified exit on the day of the sacking itself..... obviously the true feelings came out later - but part of that truth was that Butterss was a prick also.

As such whilst I did not like the fact that GT took the club to court, I felt that more than 50% of the blame attached to it was Buterss.... withholding $ that GT seemed to me to be entitled to....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why is everyone so against a guy who built a list, coached us to three successive finals campaigns....loves the club.....played for the club....
Has never said a bad word about Lyon, rates lyon as a great coach, admires the players....

Its like he is the anti-saint....

Yes he was disappointed at being sacked.......whats the issue with that...
I think there are a few factors contributing to the continuing waves of hatred towards GT that you see displayed on SS.

1. A lot of posters on here were really disappointed back in 2005 and 2006 when we had all those injuries and didn't end up getting to a GF. The coach was an easy target for this disappointment, especially as he had made a few public comments that suggested that he didn't put much store in conditioning staff. There was a similar big buildup on this forum of unfair vitriol against Lyon after the 2009 and 2010 GF losses (especially in 2009).

2. Many on here adopt a sort of tribal attitude to the club: anyone who deliberately leaves the club, or whom the club decides to sack, becomes a hated enemy once they bob up somewhere else, especially if they are seen to be in any way critical of our club. If the club sacked Ross Lyon now, I reckon that there would be endless criticism of him on here, particularly in relation to our failure to win in 2009 and 2010. Indeed, the early signs of an anti-Ross Lyon element on SS are already emerging in relation to his alleged failure to "play the kids".

3. There are a number of anti-GT obsessives on here who have tended to criticise him out of all proportion and to stir the place up about issues such as the $200k payout, our decision in 2001 to draft Ball rather than Judd, and an alleged "ruining" of the list by GT because he tried to "top up" with lots of duds from other clubs (that last criticism has now completely disappeared: I wonder why :wink:). I'm not really sure what drives the obsessive hatred displayed by these guys. It has been suggested to me in PMs that one prominent GT-bagger (and Meher Baba-bagger) on here has a personal axe to grind with GT over something that happened years ago. I have no idea whether or not this is true, but the way some of the posters on here go out of their way to denigrate the bloke, I guess it's possible.

As everyone knows, I used to go into battle on here against what I saw as the ridiculously unfair denigration of a coach who - despite the fact that I was highly disappointed when Blight was sacked and he was appointed - seemed to me to have made the club try to shed its perennial underdog status and start to look the rest of the AFL world straight in the eye(something that we had never previously achieved, even after the 1966 GF win).

I've now basically given up trying to defend GT's legacy on here. I realise that some people are going to be rational about him and others aren't and there's nothing I can do to persuade them otherwise. I have now seen on a number of other occasions how collectively irrational this place can be, eg: after the decision not to recruit Cousins, after the 2009 GF loss, towards Raph Clarke, towards Luke Ball since he left the club, etc.

But I will say just this. Lyon is almost certainly a much better technical coach than GT (although Johnny Member is definitely onto something in his defence of GT's coaching style: it is a vast simplification to claim, as some do, that GT simply told the players to go out and attack in a free-flowing way and let the defensive side look after itself). However, I do think we've lost a bit of the swagger we had in the mid-2000s and I also think we are starting to become a target for the rest of the AFL world in terms of the style of football we play. We also now have an invisible President and a coach who chooses his words carefully and is quick to deflect blame to the players when things go wrong. In these respects, I rather miss the GT-RB era.

But of course there's no going back.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:2. Many on here adopt a sort of tribal attitude to the club: anyone who deliberately leaves the club, or whom the club decides to sack, becomes a hated enemy once they bob up somewhere else, especially if they are seen to be in any way critical of our club.
Some of us are of the view that any position at an elite sports club is a privilege.

Want a job? Go work at Bunnings.

There's also a class of Thomas fanatics who try to maintain that the sun still shines out of his arse.

If I'm a bit unfair on his legacy, that's just collateral. Blame the terms of the debate.

Suffice it to say that some would be justified in considering him a leech on our club (as in, we the members) and arguably a white-collar criminal.

Oh yes, let's put a real figure on that court payout: $275k, in addition to the 6 months' salary he was paid in lieu of notice, $270k. So what he was being paid to that point was --- connect the dots. Not exactly on skid row, or if he was it was his own damn fault.
But of course there's no going back.
Not a truer word written.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Its not a privilege....a privilige is bestowed upon you...

People who make it to afl coach, get there for a reason.....and do it prettybtough, so they earn their keep...

40 000 peple to keep happy.....and there is a project due every seven days...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Its not a privilege....a privilige is bestowed upon you...

People who make it to afl coach, get there for a reason.....and do it prettybtough, so they earn their keep...

40 000 peple to keep happy.....and there is a project due every seven days...

Zing!