Are We Interested ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goldsack - another 6'2" defender

To join dempster, winmar, clarke, gilbert, gwilt, simpkin, goddard, ray

And he's a GOP at best......a fringe player for a reason....he aint lifting us nowhere

60 games in 6 seasons, average of 11 disposals a game, Only 6 career goals....has never recieved a brownlow vote

I know its not what we like, but some players with offensive ability would be nice.....

Ellis is the most skilled of that group, but is his body like Xavier Clarke's....dyson is an outside player, not as good as peake or gram, josh hill - NO

Matthew Bate would be an obvious choice.... Out of favour

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Essendon have a pretty decent midfield

if he can't hack it there, what makes ppl think he could do better in a less supported midfield?
I'd rather Salopek

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

The problem this year is that the draft is extremely thin and next years draft is being compared to the "2001 Superdraft". So we could see a cull next year instead of doing it this year like so many people want. Which means we may just see Ross & co taking a punt on a few these recycled players to see if they can make them work over next year.

Heres a few of main points from Emma Quayle in todays Age. For those who dont know who she is, she really does know what she talking about when it comes to the draft and Under 18's talent.....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z1RMzrOJGu
Here's the good news: the 2012 draft looks very, very strong. Already, a dozen names spring to mind. This time next year, expect to hear plenty about Lachie Whitfield, Rory Atkins and Sam Mayes, for starters. Expect Viney and Joe Daniher to demand first-round picks of the Demons and Bombers as father-son selections, and expect your club to wait until the end of next season to clear out its list and make five, six or more choices.

This year? It's tougher. Certainly, this draft will be the perfect launching pad for Greater Western Sydney. Patton has both potential and performances on the board. He's big, athletic, agile, takes marks because he knows how to position himself, and he had a say in last night's game, despite running around with a corked leg.
Some recruiters are struggling to find more than 30 players in this year's junior pool that they would have complete confidence in selecting.

The bonus for the Giants is that while this draft will kick them off nicely, it will keep most of their opponents where they are. If any make serious improvement out of this draft, given the lack of depth they will have done very well.

It means established clubs will have to look hard. Clubs have always drafted from state leagues, but in the past they have been able to focus on the very best. This year they'll have to do more than that, given the shallow junior pool and the fact that, like Gold Coast last year, GWS can keep or trade players bypassed in previous drafts.

SainterSoul
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Only Goldsack. The others cant get a game because of form, Goldsack is just because of the depth of the pies.
This.

Ellis is useless. When he was drafted, Collingwood were laughed at because they picked up Pendlebury at 5. Many thought Ellis was the better player. Leave this dud alone.
Last edited by SainterSoul on Thu 07 Jul 2011 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mitch morton is a gun who was ahead of Jack Riewoldt at the Tiges, if we could fix his head he would be a steal.

Ellis is a very good mid, Bate would be a great midfield general and kicks goals, can see him being another Lenny.

Trent West may go for nothing and be a handy second ruck.

Malcolm Lynch is an indigenous player at Port Melb. and is being talked of as a Liston trophy winner (vfl B&F) he was on the Dogs list and is said to have taken a while to adjust to Melbourne and is a late bloomer.

Miles Sewell is really unlucky not to already be in the AFL system as at least a rookie and Tyson Thomas is said to have improved his output and ironed out some deficiencies.

We should be looking for a Barlow or Silvagni in the VFL as cheap options for quality players

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Goldsack - another 6'2" defender

To join dempster, winmar, clarke, gilbert, gwilt, simpkin, goddard, ray

And he's a GOP at best......a fringe player for a reason....he aint lifting us nowhere

60 games in 6 seasons, average of 11 disposals a game, Only 6 career goals....has never recieved a brownlow vote.
Plus Collingwood will do us over in the exhange which will just make the whole thing grate all the more.

Who knows what 2012 and beyond will bring. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that if we are unable to win a flag in the next 10 years without Goldsak, then we surely won't be good enough to win one with him anyway.

Leave Goldsack and Collingwood out of our future :x

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood will ask for Nick Riewoldt and Goddard for Goldsack then stuff around until we miss the trade period putting all the others off the table. Collingwood don't do trades unless they come out so far ahead that you look like an idiot.

Behind Play
Club Player

Young Dylan was a Saint's follower.
Roberton has struggled to cement his position in the Fremantle team in 2011 after a good debut season in 2010 in which he played 13 games.

Displays good run and carry and quality disposal playing from half-back and
a bright future beckons for the young Victorian

My sources tell me he is having difficulties in Freo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is a good player, but I can't see Freo letting him go.

Behind Play
Club Player

gringo wrote:Roberton is a good player, but I can't see Freo letting him go.
You are probably fight Gringo. The kid would be a perfect fit though, loves the Saints and a Frankston boy.
Lets hope.

Saint Mik
Club Player

If Brenie Vince wants to come back to Vic we would be mad not to try and get him.

Not to sure what to offer Crows though???

Perhaps Gilbert and a pick.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are We Interested ?

ace wrote:Tyson Goldsack (Coll)
And pick 30 from the filth and then we never have to have another thread about Luke Balls departure ever again :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Maybe collingwood should just give him to us, due to feeling guilty over ripping us an arse in that saga

Bet he doesnt start in our midfield, get a medal, finish top 5 in our b&f though....

Richter
SS Life Member

Behind Play wrote:Young Dylan was a Saint's follower.
Roberton has struggled to cement his position in the Fremantle team in 2011 after a good debut season in 2010 in which he played 13 games.

Displays good run and carry and quality disposal playing from half-back and
a bright future beckons for the young Victorian

My sources tell me he is having difficulties in Freo.
You sure BP?

According to http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?

Hawthorn. Members of my family followed the Hawks.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gee -he's no good then. Dirty Hawk lovin' fool give them pick 99 and they can throw in Pav.

St Nick

If we are going to rebuild we must stay away from trading for players. Trade for picks and draft the best youngsters possible.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think a bit of both is a good compromise, Sydney retained their first round picks and traded for players and quickly topped up around a good core. Freo have built up creatively with WAFL and VFL players on their rookie list but still used their high picks on youth. Silvagni, Muzungu and Barlow were all inspired picks which we could have nabbed. I would be looking at teams like Richmond and Melbourne who have a young group playing together and putting some good mid career players on the outer. Mitch Morton, Tuck, Bate etc. are all guys who would be instant impact players and would be keen to get to a team that offers opportunity. Malcolm Lynch in the VFL looks a good fit for us also, someone told me he is like Brad Dick with a more resilient body.