Most Improved in 2011

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Different reasons:

McEvoy - Opportunity and natural improvement as bigs take longer to improve

Steven: - fit and not injuries and also penny seems to have dropped as to how hard you need to work to be an AFL player

Armitage - See Steven

Peake - Different to others in that established player but somehting has changed - attitude, work ethic, diet?

Most Disappointing:

Stanley - Does he have the mental toughness to do whatis required to play AFL? Not an insult if he doesn't as not for everyone

Gram - back to old habits of near enough is good enough. What he does at the moment is good enough to play afl, but has shown with more he could be better than good and hasn't.

Goddard and Nick form slump so although obviousl candidates not on my list

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I see Steven as a guy that in his first game last year kicked three goals and every time he has got a game hasn't been bad. So from that I gather he is just continuing to gain possessions as he gets run on the ball more. I obviously already rated him highly, Peake looked like he might be another Fiora, talented, quick and unreliable. He has come in and been really solid, the unsure freak outs seem to have gone. He is doing the run and carry along the boundary and seems to like the new game plan. He was not the greatest when given time to think now he gets to play instinctive he is relishing it. People question why Peake and Eddy were picked so I don't think playing the GF is a sign that he was going great, just the only fit quick we had.

bergsone
SS Life Member

One player who IMO has improved each year is Gwilt,not so much a big improver from one year to the next,but gradually over his career,now seems to be one of 1st picked each week

Now that i have put the mocker on him ,watch him go down hill :oops:

Choppa
Club Player

Agree on Gwilt, has become one of those reliable, dependable types that are so important.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Furphy wrote:Peake, who has come forward in leaps & bounds and McEvoy, whilst not setting the world on fire in the ruck, is a sesational mark in the packs and does great stuff around ground.
Good call on Peake.

A thread such as this will always focus on the kids but if you're talking most improved then he has to be right up there.
Re Peake - the thing that has really "pleased" me is he seems to have really improved on his decision making/disposal. This was the worst part of his game. Especially delivery inside 50 where his old habit was to kick a high bomb about 3 m from goal which never ever works. Now you notice he purposely and deliberately looks down when he is delivering inside 50 and tries to hit a target. Grammy should take notes.