Move Riewoldt to wing?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Move Riewoldt to wing?

I think it would be a good move for Ross Lyon to do this more often.

He is struggling in the forward line and even when he does take the big strong marks he rarely finishes.

I think Roo could be a bit like Pavlich how he swaps between forward and midfield.

Could re-jig the forward line so either Walsh or Johnson takes the extra spot in the forward line.

On a side note, i liked what i saw from kosi tonight, he took some strong marks and kicked a goal or two, he also seemed a bit more lively than previous matches.

Sainter for life.
noreason41
Club Player

He played on the wing for a fair bit of the last quarter.

Completely ineffectual.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Only if we want to be in its a mad mad mad mad world.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

This is becoming like 'move Kosi to the ruck' or 'Dawson to the forward line'. We'd like to think it will be the difference but in practice, I think the difference is minimal at best.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Only if we want to be in its a mad mad mad mad world.
We wouldn't want that, would we? Much better to stay in the place we're in right now, which is going nowhere, fast, if not going backwards.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:This is becoming like 'move Kosi to the ruck' or 'Dawson to the forward line'. We'd like to think it will be the difference but in practice, I think the difference is minimal at best.
Not sure anyone's suggesting it will be "the difference", but believe it or not, it may help if he actually is able to take part in the play more and GET HIS HANDS ON THE BALL. We need him back in form and I don't see him returning to form any time soon if he continues to play in the forward line, with our atrocious kicking into there (on the rare occasions we go forward) and with him being double and triple teamed on a regular basis.
Surely it would help if we took a load off his shoulders and let him run around for a couple of weeks, getting some easy kicks and some easier marks, till he gets his form and confidence back.
He is offering us virtually nothing up forward at the moment and possibly less than nothing, as they see him there and do what they've done for years, which is kick it to him, even though he's almost certainly not going to mark it. The other side then generally just runs the ball out of our forward line and into theirs. Then on the odd occasion that he does mark it (or get a free kick) within range, he's likely to miss it, which has a deflating effect on our morale and gives the other side a mental boost.
So getting him out of there could benefit us in multiple ways (1. We stop kicking it to someone who is almost certainly not going to mark it and find other ways forward. 2. We don't have that morale sapping watching of him miss another important shot for goal. 3. He could get back into form much more quickly if he's able to run around a bit and get some easier kicks and marks around the ground.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

1/ Roo is out of form

2/ Despite that opposition coaches still play him 2 or 3 up...so they don't want him to get back into form.

3/ Opposition teams are setting up so the only space he has to lead into is non-dangerous spots wide in the pockets/flanks

My solution:

Get Roo to stay in the goalsquare, with only short leads.

If the opposition keep two on him, we will get a numerical advantage up field.

If they leave him one out...then that gives him much improved chance of marking.

Even with two spoiling on him...it will at least provide spoils in the hot zone to provide scoring opportunities for our crumbers.

Such a scenario should make Roo more value, get our crumbers more action......and may keep an extra backman out of the game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

Like any player out of form for a long period- drop him. A stint at Sandy to work on his game would do him no harm.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Like any player out of form for a long period- drop him. A stint at Sandy to work on his game would do him no harm.
So you think he should be dropped this week?

noreason41
Club Player

spert wrote:Like any player out of form for a long period- drop him. A stint at Sandy to work on his game would do him no harm.
Seriously?

You really think dropping Roo to Sandy wouldn't do him any harm?

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Yes I do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Yes I do
Is it April the 1st?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Roo hasn't really done much since he returned from injury last year. Whether that is mental, or physical he doesn't seem the same player - I'm sure stats will back that up.

Anyway, Roo at his best basically plays on a wing and runs back (everywhere) anyway. What we need is to play Siposs, and/or Johnson, and Kosi needs to assert himself. Gone are the days where Roo gives the superhuman efforts, he isn't the same player and where he used to beat two, he no longer can.

So while Roo is out of form, we need others to step up so that when opposition teams do try to double/triple team Roo, we have a couple of others giving options or taking away the lose men to free up Roo. Oh, and Milne being a marking target isn't the answer!!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:1/ Roo is out of form

2/ Despite that opposition coaches still play him 2 or 3 up...so they don't want him to get back into form.

3/ Opposition teams are setting up so the only space he has to lead into is non-dangerous spots wide in the pockets/flanks

My solution:

If they leave him one out...then that gives him much improved chance of marking.

Even with two spoiling on him...it will at least provide spoils in the hot zone to provide scoring opportunities for our crumbers.

Such a scenario should make Roo more value, get our crumbers more action......and may keep an extra backman out of the game.
Roo's great strength is his gut running, wearing down opponents. You are taking away his strengths by getting him to stay in the goalsquare.

He was at his best when G, and either Kosi or Sammy were playing. He needs assistance and quickly!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

played 23 games including all the finals since the injury
has kicked 44 goals 46 points
laid 44 tackles
169 marks averaging 7.3 a game
averaging 17.5 disposals a game

(not incl last night)

so hes having 3.9 shots at goal on average
and kicks around 1.9 on average so nearly two goals a game

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Hitting up a leading target would help too. If Johnson or Siposs plays then the midfielders better lower their eyes and hit the leading target instead of bombing to a 1 v 3 as usual.

noreason41
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:1/ Roo is out of form

My solution:

Roo's great strength is his gut running, wearing down opponents. You are taking away his strengths by getting him to stay in the goalsquare.

He was at his best when G, and either Kosi or Sammy were playing. He needs assistance and quickly!
He was at his best when Kosi was actually a threat.

A number of occasions last night i saw Scarlett on Gamble, and someone else on Kosi.

spert
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:played 23 games including all the finals since the injury
has kicked 44 goals 46 points
laid 44 tackles
169 marks averaging 7.3 a game
averaging 17.5 disposals a game

(not incl last night)

so hes having 3.9 shots at goal on average
and kicks around 1.9 on average so nearly two goals a game
All the stats in the world don't cover the fact that he is been innefective for us this season in the forward line, and has contributed little, with his direct opponent clearly beating him in many games this season.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Move him to the bench after last night.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

which is exactly why i posted the stats

he's getting butchered no doubt, looks sore? no confidence? in fact looks average in some games, yet is still average nearly 2 a game average 7 marks a game since surgery
which is what we were comparing it too, post sugery

this year??
average 1.3 goals, 5.8 marks, 2.5 shots at goal, 1.8 tackles

:?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

although, he's not extactly playing heads up footy, our nick, is he?

the leads he gives inside 50 are atrocious. they seem to come to early, so they kick it too high and leaps, gets cannonned into by his opponents and falls to ground.

this can be remedied.

hopefully the offensive skills coach can get onto this before the season is out :roll: :roll: :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:which is exactly why i posted the stats

he's getting butchered no doubt, looks sore? no confidence? in fact looks average in some games, yet is still average nearly 2 a game average 7 marks a game since surgery

this year??

Fair enough, but my point is in effect, he is out of form and unless he can regain a lot of his former self on a wing, what's left but to rest him for a couple of weeks, or play him at Sandy and hope he gets some old form back. We have gone through the season so far practically without a FF and CHF, and with Schneider out of form, something has to give

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:

this year??

Fair enough, but my point is in effect, he is out of form and unless he can regain a lot of his former self on a wing, what's left but to rest him for a couple of weeks, or play him at Sandy and hope he gets some old form back. We have gone through the season so far practically without a FF and CHF, and with Schneider out of form, something has to give
Why rest him? Is he injured or something? He seems fit to me so lets just keep playing him. Champions will come back. He is to young to stay down for to long.

clisaint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:

this year??

Why rest him? Is he injured or something? He seems fit to me so lets just keep playing him. Champions will come back. He is to young to stay down for to long.
:thup: agreed. He's clearly having a rough time of it, needs our support more than ever. Champion player, champion man.